Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jeff Kenna new city manager? Strong rumours running about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Niall McGinn signs for Celtic

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_4654916,00.html

Before people go off on one saying Derry didn't receive a fair price for him (however much it was), remember that he played one season in a league where a few hundred people stand in a glorified garden shed watching a ball being hoofed as long as possible, and has one cap for a team that shouldn't even be a country

:rolleyes: Clearly looking for a rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

gimmick wrote: »

lulz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Feck............:mad:
    I hope you're wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

galwayrush wrote: »
    Feck............:mad:
    I hope you're wrong
    +1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Niall McGinn signs for Celtic

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11781_4654916,00.html

Before people go off on one saying Derry didn't receive a fair price for him (however much it was), remember that he played one season in a league where a few hundred people stand in a glorified garden shed watching a ball being hoofed as long as possible, and has one cap for a team that shouldn't even be a country
    There is one individual who actually hates football.

What the fúck?
    Morgan turns down Cork City offer
    Cork manager Billy Morgan
    18 December 2008

Former Cork football boss Billy Morgan is believed to have turned down an offer to manage Cork City FC.

It has been reported that Cork City owner Tom Coughlan approached the former All-Ireland winning manager and captain with a view to him succeeding Alan Matthews, who parted company with the club last week. But Morgan wasn’t interested.

A source said: "It’s not the sort of phone call you expect and, while it might be flattering that someone would think you could do a job in a different sport, it was never going to be a runner.

"He politely declined the opportunity but wishes City all the best for the future."

Jaysis.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Des wrote: »
    What the fúck?
    Jaysis.:rolleyes:

Apparantly the no-handball rule was a deal-breaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Offering Morgan the city job, what a f**king joke!!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1216/athlonetown.html
    The future of Athlone Town remains in the balance following a public meeting to discuss their precarious financial position.

There is concern that the club will have to drop out of League of Ireland football due to liabilities in the region of €300,000.

Last night's meeting was well supported and an official at the club has told RTÉ Sport they are confident that the club can survive.

Speaking on RTÉ Morning Ireland, club secretary Chris Enright said the club has launched a patron scheme, which will see 400 members pay €10 a week for two years to help meet the costs of running the club.

If a club goes out of business will Kildare County get back in the league?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This clown Coughlan is rapidly turning into a disaster for Cork. What next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

CiaranC wrote: »
    This clown Coughlan is rapidly turning into a disaster for Cork.
    Certainly doesn't bode well if the Morgan story has any truth to it (personally, I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt for the time being).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Brian Shelley has been released by Drogs and is rumoured to be considering offers from Bohs, Pats and Derry.

Dundalk allegedly weighing up a move for Declan O'Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

If a club goes out of business will Kildare County get back in the league?
    They would be offered a place if they qualify for a First Division license, but they have their own difficulties with money as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

They would be offered a place if they qualify for a First Division license, but they have their own difficulties with money as well.

I've been told by a Kildare fan (they exist), that the club are weighing up the option of pulling out of football, making Kildare County FC a thing of a past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Morgan offered City job. Is it April 1st:eek:
    Get your money on Jimmy Barry Murphy. Might even bring the son home from England:D

Kenna turned down the city job and is staying on with Galway, confirmed on their website

Brian Shelley has signed for Bohs.
    Likewise Paul Crowley for Shamrock.

Shane McFaul signed for Fingal.

Timmy Purcell to Cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Shelley has signed for Bohs? :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Advertisement

Timmy Purcell to Cork.

Hopefully he has a degree in finance and can play a bit. Thats the type of footballer we are after these days!

How can Bohs sign players? Thought they were in dodgy territory lately?

How can Bohs sign players? Thought they were in dodgy territory lately?

:eek:

same could be said for cork

Timmy Purcell to Cork.

That's a non-story. There might have been something to that if Mathews was still in charge.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    That's a non-story. There might have been something to that if Mathews was still in charge.
    Well he is still going to be having a trial.

Brian King is currently in the third week of a trial at Hamilton.
    Enda Stevens was training with Stockport, probably going back over in the new year.

Well he is still going to be having a trial.

So he's going to try to get a contract even though Mathews is gone? Would he be full-time or part-time? At the moment, he'd be battling it out with Deasy and Duggan to be the 3rd choice striker, unless O'Neill is used as a winger. 3rd/4th choice if we re-sign Kiely. That's assuming we don't sign anyone better.

Looks like Liam Kearney could be off to Derry.

Rumours that Stephen Henderson is now favourite to take over as Waterford United manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Alan Gough is the new Longford Town manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Flood, O'Brien, Delaney, Keely, Brennan, McGill signed back for Shels for next season.

Meenan, Hynes, Doherty, Marney and Derek Doyle signed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Henderson confirmed as Waterford manager

• Advertisement

Henderson confirmed as Waterford manager

Cracking appointment for Waterford, was told the two weeks after Cronin left by a WLR journo that Henderson would be the next manager.

Everyone associated with Cork City FC would like to wish everyone associated with Shels a very happy and bitter free Christmas :rolleyes:

http://www.shelbournefc.ie/news.php?id=1084

the following are the players which have officially signed for the club so far for the 2009 Season

Damien Brennan
    Dean Delaney
    Alan Keely
    Derek Doyle
    Dave Mc Gill
    Anto Flood :cool:
    Kevin Doherty :)
    Peter Hynes
    Paul Marney :D:D
    Darren Meenan
    Mark O Brien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Des wrote: »
    Paul Marney :D:D

A Shels team managed by Keely signing him is quite ironic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Cracking appointment for Waterford, was told the two weeks after Cronin left by a WLR journo that Henderson would be the next manager.

Wonderful. Delighted for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

David Cassidy has signed for Shels, amazing signing.

hunter164 wrote: »
    David Cassidy has signed for Shels, amazing signing.

for who? They get a player noone else will touch and he gets to play in the 1st division again :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

dreamers75 wrote: »
    for who? They get a player noone else will touch and he gets to play in the 1st division again :confused:
    What?

hunter164 wrote: »
    What?

you said amazing signing, i asked for who? Shels or him. Seriously wasnt that difficult a question :confused:

Theres a few reasons why he isnt playing at a higher level anymore.

• Advertisement

Theres a few reasons why he isnt playing at a higher level anymore.

Sean Connor: "I am aware that David has a job in Dublin and is expecting another child in 2009 so I believe he cannot make the commitment needed to play for a Premier Division club"

1st Division player of the season 2008 is all I'll add to that.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Sean Connor: "I am aware that David has a job in Dublin and is expecting another child in 2009 so I believe he cannot make the commitment needed to play for a Premier Division club"

Wow, if hes not able to handle Sean Connors fitness regime he couldnt cut it in the LSL.

1st Division player of the season 2008 is all I'll add to that.:cool:

Sorry im a pats fan i have no clue what goes on in the 1st division, i heard we have one here in ireland.

Bet keely and him will be like best buddies for ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Sorry im a pats fan i have no clue what goes on in the 1st division, i heard we have one here in ireland.

You should refrain from commenting on it then. You are right, you clearly haven't a clue.

I watched Cassidy all season and i'm disappointed that he is leaving, for whatever reasons. He will be the top man again in the Div next year, just like he was this year.

I heard big clubs win League titles, 10 years now?:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Everyone associated with Cork City FC would like to wish everyone associated with Shels a very happy and bitter free Christmas :rolleyes:

Everyone associated with Shelbourne FC would like the FAI to get their finger out and do their job. If they do both yourselves and Drawda will have the pleasure of First Division football in 2009 (if youse are lucky).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Everyone associated with Shelbourne FC would like the FAI to get their finger out and do their job. If they do both yourselves and Drawda will have the pleasure of First Division football in 2009 (if youse are lucky).

If we've our debts paid off there won't be any reason for them to do that.

Ye're in the first division, we won't be. f***ing deal with it.

Bit of a joke considering Mathews was apparently sacked over money issues...can't see Kerr coming cheaply.

Stuart Ashton, who was the U-21 manager also been rumoured lately, which alot of the younger players wouldn't be too happy about I'd imagine.

Have also heard that Gareth Cronin is a possiblity, which would more than likely see a former Cork City player included in his backroom staff if he was to take over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

If we could get Kerr it would be a great acquisition.

Successful in Ireland and relatively succesful as out national team manger.

Pity about the accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If we could get Kerr it would be a great acquisition.

Successful in Ireland and relatively succesful as out national team manger.

Pity about the accent.

Can't see it happening tbh. I'd say he'd be looking for high wages and i don't think it would be a good idea to be taking on an expensive manager at the moment.

That said he's probabaly the best candidate mentioned so far.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement