Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If we've our debts paid off there won't be any reason for them to do that.

But you didn't pay your debts did you? You got them written off. Hard to see the Matthews issue being resolved in time for your licence. :)
    Ye're in the first division, we won't be. f***ing deal with it.

Ooohh, bit touchy aren't we? Worried about anything? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

the way things are i will be happy if there just is a drogheda utd no matter what league we are in next year.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    the way things are i will be happy if there just is a drogheda utd no matter what league we are in next year.

Doesn't look like it.... :(

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/robinson-fears-drogs-talks-at-dead-end-1587668.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Zebra3 wrote: »
    But you didn't pay your debts did you? You got them written off. Hard to see the Matthews issue being resolved in time for your licence.

Examinership is legal. Shels didn't go down that route, get over it. Mathews doesn't enter into the equation regarding licensing as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Drawda are ****ed.

Hope we get Shane Robinson.

Interesting quote from Casso in that article:
    Meanwhile, former Dundalk star David Cassidy has launched an astonishing attack on Sean Connor after the midfielder signed for First Division side Shelbourne over the weekend.

In a statement released yesterday on Cassidy's behalf, he criticised Connor on the handling of the re-signature of last season's First Division Player of the Year and goes on to state that "I wanted to sign for Dundalk. I just couldn't go up five nights a week."
    Sack your first division winning manager, appoint Sean Connor, then watch as he loses you your best player straight away. You have to laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

dreamers75 wrote: »
    you said amazing signing, i asked for who? Shels or him. Seriously wasnt that difficult a question :confused:

Theres a few reasons why he isnt playing at a higher level anymore.

For Shels obviously.

And yes it's because he couldn't make training all the time.

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Examinership is legal.

I know.
    Shels didn't go down that route, get over it.

Nothing for me to get over, just pointing out that Cork haven't (and never will have ever) paid off their debts.
    Mathews doesn't enter into the equation regarding licensing as far as I know.

You don't know very much about the licensing then do you? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Graham Gartland has signed for St Johnstone until the end of the season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

monkey9 wrote: »
    Graham Gartland has signed for St Johnstone until the end of the season

Absolute thug and a knacker on the pitch. Delighted he's out of the league. Butchered any skillful player he came up against and was let away with awful tackles and persistent fouls by the grossly incompetent referees in the LoI. A bottler as well (take a penalty Graham :rolleyes:). Hope he never plays in the LoI again :).

(I'm not a big fan of Gartland by the way...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Publin wrote: »
    Absolute thug and a knacker on the pitch. Delighted he's out of the league. Butchered any skillful player he came up against and was let away with awful tackles and persistent fouls by the grossly incompetent referees in the LoI. A bottler as well (take a penalty Graham :rolleyes:). Hope he never plays in the LoI again :).

Stop beating around the bush, tell us what you really think!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Got a text there a while ago saying "Only a matter of time for drogs, players are bringing them to court for their money. Court case on the 2nd. They've closed books".

Then I asked will they be completely gone and I got: "They will be gone for at least 2 years then after 2 years or so into the A Championship."

From a good source btw.

Got a text there a while ago saying "Only a matter of time for drogs, players are bringing them to court for their money. Court case on the 2nd. They've closed books".

Then I asked will they be completely gone and I got: "They will be gone for at least 2 years then after 2 years or so into the A Championship."

From a good source btw.

Any idea what this will mean so?... will Shels be awarded a place in the Premier Division to replace them? Will Harps get to stay up? Or will a new team come out of nowhere... God knows what the FAI will decide.

Any idea what this will mean so?... will Shels be awarded a place in the Premier Division to replace them? Will Harps get to stay up? Or will a new team come out of nowhere... God knows what the FAI will decide.

Would mean UCD would go up probably, couldn't see Harps or Cobh being allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

harps stay up unless they decide not to, then the next relegated team gets an offer.

thats how it would until the dvds with presantations are sent in, fai just waiting till the xmas decorations are down before releasing who is or isnt getting in :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

Would be unfair on harps if shels got promoted though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

We need more of this on this forum

Anyone else stick of fans blindly defending players, sometimes it's as if they do it out of fear of the mods

Take a bow son

harps stay up unless they decide not to, then the next relegated team gets an offer.

Afaik they go on "points" which are evaluated after the 31st January (when all end of season accounts, etc... are handed from each club to the FAI), then the licenses are released on the 18th Fenruary for those with the most "points" and who actually applied for what division.

No way the FAI can give Harps a Premier Division license with they're financial trouble and considering Cobh officials were thinking of going back to the MSL during the season I can't see them wanting back into the Premier.

galwaydude wrote: »
    Would be unfair on harps if shels got promoted though.

Hardly. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/1222/finnharps.html

Afaik they go on "points" which are evaluated after the 31st January (when all end of season accounts, etc... are handed from each club to the FAI), then the licenses are released on the 18th Fenruary for those with the most "points" and who actually applied for what division.

No way the FAI can give Harps a Premier Division license with they're financial trouble and considering Cobh officials were thinking of going back to the MSL during the season I can't see them wanting back into the Premier.

So shels have no debts? or do old ones not count?

in fairness to both it goes whatever the FAI think suits their needs. maybe harps is too far away and calls for extra expenses to clubs. But they building a new stadium and maybe the FAI wants that.

seriously go outside write a few teams names on the ground and then piss against the wind, possibly how the FAI decide who gets in.

• Advertisement

in fairness to both it goes whatever the FAI think suits their needs. maybe harps is too far away and calls for extra expenses to clubs. But they building a new stadium and maybe the FAI wants that.

seriously go outside write a few teams names on the ground and then piss against the wind, possibly how the FAI decide who gets in.

We have debts, this season it was around €70,000 but well we pay that off from "The Tolka Fund", so come January 31st that debt will be cleared.

Our old debts from pre-2006 aren't included afaik, them debts are on Accolade Ltd. which will be paid off after the sale of Tolka Park, Shelbourne FC after our demise is now a limited company under the name Shelbourne FC Ltd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Funnily enough, that's how steve staunton got the ireland job.

All clubs have debts, what is not permitted is money owed to players and management on 31 Jan without some sort of agreed repayment plan (yeh smells of fudge).

If Drogheda do go bust, Harps are next in line if they have their finances in order. Next in line will be Cobh. I'm not really sure what the story is down there (some amount of infighting it would seem), but if they plan to stay in the LoI, they might as well try to stay in the PD and spend what they would in the FD anyway. anyone know what the story is with them? :confused:

After them is UCD who I assume would have no probs getting a PD licence (again).

After that we're next in line which is a long way down. I'd say our only hope is Cork and Drogheda not to be in the PD and both Cobh and Harps turned down. And I don't expect all that to happen. And sure even if it does, it only gives us a couple of days to try and adjust our squad for a higher division which would probably leave us as strong faves to go back down. :(

Just maybe the 'tards in the FAI should have dished out the licences at the end of November. :rolleyes:

We have debts, this season it was around €70,000 but well we pay that off from "The Tolka Fund", so come January 31st that debt will be cleared.

Our old debts from pre-2006 aren't included afaik, them debts are on Accolade Ltd. which will be paid off after the sale of Tolka Park, Shelbourne FC after our demise is now a limited company under the name Shelbourne FC Ltd.

I'd advise people to ignore the rubbish posted above.

I'd advise all Shels fans to get their hopes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Everyone knows it will be Waterford Utd promoted

• Advertisement

I'd advise people to ignore the rubbish posted above.

Care to expand?

Just maybe the 'tards in the FAI should have dished out the licences at the end of November. :rolleyes:

for once they were sorta warned, pats told them then they would be going part time, they knew there would be some rejigging.

get yer bobby ryans and jokeruills 2 for a fiver.......

Everyone knows it will be Waterford Utd promoted

John Delaney can get up to his old trick like the last time.:D Be gas if they sent Dundalk down for something and promoted Waterford.:pac:

Care to expand?

I'll try.
    Originally Posted by Gavin "shels"

We lost roughly €70k in 08 which you say will be cleared from "The Tolka Fund" by 31 January. I assume you are refering to money being forwarded from the sale of the lease of Tolka Park. I cannot recall any statement being issued on further money being forwarded from the developer. Do you know otherwise?
    Originally Posted by Gavin "shels"

None of that makes sence. :confused:

Pre-2006? What about the debts run up in 2006? :confused:

Aren't included? Aren't included in what? :confused:

Demise? :confused: What demise? :confused: We're haven't gone away you know.

We lost roughly €70k in 08 which you say will be cleared from "The Tolka Fund" by 31 January. I assume you are refering to money being forwarded from the sale of the lease of Tolka Park. I cannot recall any statement being issued on further money being forwarded from the developer. Do you know otherwise?

I made a guess tbh, we did it last season (according to Joe Casey back in January at the Fans Forum). Which I'm guessing will be mentioned come our next Fans Forum. Would we not have to break-even in order to get a license for 2009? If so were else would we pull €70,000 odd from?

None of that makes sence. :confused:

Pre-2006? What about the debts run up in 2006? :confused:

Aren't included? Aren't included in what? :confused:

Afaik the debts which Accolade Ltd. ran up up till about December 2006/January 2007 are completely separate to what the club is now working with that being Shelbourne FC Ltd. Therefore I would have thought the old debts from pre-2007 aren't included in our accounts nowdays.

My use of the word demise was stupid, our collapse describes it better.

• Advertisement

I made a guess tbh, we did it last season (according to Joe Casey back in January at the Fans Forum). Which I'm guessing will be mentioned come our next Fans Forum. Would we not have to break-even in order to get a license for 2009? If so were else would we pull €70,000 odd from?

So what you're saying is you're posting stuff here giving the impression it's fact when you really haven't got a clue.
    Afaik the debts which Accolade Ltd. ran up up till about December 2006/January 2007 are completely separate to what the club is now working with that being Shelbourne FC Ltd. Therefore I would have thought the old debts from pre-2007 aren't included in our accounts nowdays.

So our pre-2007 debts are on holidays? Great stuff. :cool: Enron eat your heart out!!!! :D

Seriously, so long as staff and the RC are paid up to date or an agreement is in place, other debts are usually okish. Few people/companies ever have every single bill ever paid off.
    My use of the word demise was stupid, our collapse describes it better.

If you wanna a job in FF call it our "correction".

Kearney has signed a two year deal with Derry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Back in Cork in June, imo.

Des wrote: »
    Back in Cork in June, imo.

There's only two.....;)

There's only two.....;)

Heh, I actually like Liam.

Sound bloke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Good riddance to him. The guy is not the most intelligent person in the world. he will fail spectacularly at Derry as he did at Shelbourne. This is mostly down to the fact that his daddy will not be there at all times to tell him how special he is. Very average player on a very high wage. The usual suspect City fans have concocted some story to say why he has left, but the fact is, he has left because he is not very clever.

But then, Derry are a lovely club so this will only strengthen relations between both clubs "fans".

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

It's a shame to see him go, but you can't really fault him with the way things are in Cork. He was actually decent last season imo, and who can forget the night in Dalymount for the cup semi final in '07! Sound guy, so good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

It's a shame to see him go, but you can't really fault him with the way things are in Cork. He was actually decent last season imo, and who can forget the night in Dalymount for the cup semi final in '07! Sound guy, so good luck to him.

They won't be saying that when he returns to the Cross with Derry next season.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

They won't be saying that when he returns to the Cross with Derry next season.:D

I wonder will the Judas signs be back in use next season then :pac:

Graham Cummins and John Kearney are after joining Hendo at Waterford and it looks like Mick Devine is on his way there aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Very underrated player IMO.

• Advertisement

SectionF wrote: »
    Very underrated player IMO.

Underrated? He's generally regarded as one of the best wingers in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Drogs players have rejected the club's proposed wage settlement so bang goes the Premier licence. It's looking increasingly likely that it makes no difference in the long run anyway since the club might well cease to exist in 8 days time. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Ah no, love that ground. Hopefully you's make it into the First. A trip or two up there next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Best of luck to Drogheda, gained a lot of respect for the fans at the league win match. Hope they continue to exist in some form at least.

Underrated? He's generally regarded as one of the best wingers in the league.
    Agreed. I felt he failed miserably at Shels, and if his head isn't right it could easily happen again with Derry.
    PDN wrote: »
    Drogs players have rejected the club's proposed wage settlement so bang goes the Premier licence. It's looking increasingly likely that it makes no difference in the long run anyway since the club might well cease to exist in 8 days time. :(

Disappointed to hear that. Like bohsman, I've a good deal of respect for Drogs fans, and always have some friendly banter with them. They're generally sound and a good laugh and I always look forward to playing them. The players had it good for a long time, and grossly under-performed last season, despite being equally grossly over-paid. I sincerely hope they get nothing now if they do indeed cause the club to collapse and cease to exist.

I liked the trip to Drogheda, even though the away section is a glorified cow shed! Hopefully Drogheda find a way out of this especially after all the fund-raising efforts already undertaken.

A Timeline of League of Ireland Football in Cork City

1934 Cork Bohemians resigned from the league
    1940 On 13 February Cork City was dissolved
    1948 On October 10 Cork United resigned from the league
    1957 Cork Athletic resigned from the league
    1976 Cork Hibernians resigned from the league
    1979 Cork Celtic resigned from the league
    1982 Cork United expelled from the league

What about 1984?

What do you mean "what about it"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Yis have pretty much exhausted the name archive there. Perhaps Cork Wednesday or Cork Academicals next?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I sincerely hope they get nothing now if they do indeed cause the club to collapse and cease to exist.
    Me bollix. They all signed contracts in good faith with Drogheda, and are right to expect them to be honoured. This nonsense about clubs being run into the ground by gob****es like Hoey and the players being expected to take getting a pittance as payoff has to stop.

Hoey is a clown, he has destroyed Drogheda United, and is now taking money off kids, grannies, dead people and gullible fools and for some reason the clowns up there think he is some kind of hero. The mind boggles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement