Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

CiaranC wrote: »
    Me bollix. They all signed contracts in good faith with Drogheda, and are right to expect them to be honoured. This nonsense about clubs being run into the ground by gob****es like Hoey and the players being expected to take getting a pittance as payoff has to stop.
    Very true.
    Hoey is a clown, he has destroyed Drogheda United, and is now taking money off kids, grannies, dead people and gullible fools and for some reason the clowns up there think he is some kind of hero. The mind boggles.

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Me bollix. They all signed contracts in good faith with Drogheda, and are right to expect them to be honoured. This nonsense about clubs being run into the ground by gob****es like Hoey and the players being expected to take getting a pittance as payoff has to stop.

Hoey is a clown, he has destroyed Drogheda United, and is now taking money off kids, grannies, dead people and gullible fools and for some reason the clowns up there think he is some kind of hero. The mind boggles.
    Easy to stand in judgement with the benefit of hindsight when you don't have to make the choices they face. The club had an extraordinary opportunity which fell through, and they made what now seem like rash budget decisions based on that. It's not as if it's a routine practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I would like to rule myself out as an option for new owner Tom Coughlan to approach.

We are a joke at this stage. Wonder what name will be picked out of the hat next? Pitiful.
    SectionF wrote: »
    and they made what now seem like rash budget decisions based on that. It's not as if it's a routine practice.

But surely you should be budgeting on an assumption?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

SectionF wrote: »
    It's not as if it's a routine practice.
    Squandering your entire clubs future and potentially bankrupting your club on a speculative property deal is not routine practice? You cant think of anywhere else its happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

There does seem to be a worrying culture of "Ah sure, the fans will bail us out if needs be"-ism in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Yes, they signed contracts in good faith. But if they were employees in any other line of business the vast majority would have been dismissed a long time ago for being unable/unwilling to do their job. They were happy to take their wages every week during this time.

However, I accept they had/have contracts and should be paid. I will say though that I've looked at this from the players' perspective too. The Revenue are owed over €500k by Drogheda, and they'll be the first to receive their money you can be sure. I don't know if the ground has been used as collateral for loans, but I know the FAI have a stake in it, and if it has indeed been used for loans, the secured creditors (e.g. bank) would get paid off first, along obviously with the FAI's share if they ground was sold. The ground is also presumably worth less now in the current economic environment. I'd imagine that wouldn't leave much if anything for the players, who are owed in the region of €280k according to the papers. Drogs offered them a third of what they were owed, and a third is obviously better than nothing.

I agree with you fully about clubs needing to cop on and only spend what they can afford.
    Agreed.
    gimmick wrote: »
    They were though? They were budgeting on the assumption that the new stadium would get the go-ahead.

From my understanding, it appears that it would have gotten the planning permission, if it wasn't for the NRA :rolleyes:.
    Squandering your entire clubs future and potentially bankrupting your club on a speculative property deal is not routine practice? You cant think of anywhere else its happened?

Kilcoyne? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

it doesnt look good at all but we will still have hope until the end is certain. supposedly there is only 4 players who wont agree to the deal being offered.

Publin wrote: »

They were though? They were budgeting on the assumption that the new stadium would get the go-ahead.

Of course what I meant was shouldn't be budgeting on an assumption?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    supposedly there is only 4 players who wont agree to the deal being offered.

And this is a bad thing?

In your opinion should all the players accept only 30% of what they are owed?

I think it's an absolute disgrace of a situation where fellas with mortgages to pay, families to feed and whatever else are being left hanged out to dry like this.

A disgrace.

• Advertisement

Pure Cork wrote: »

Click again for today's news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Des wrote: »
    And this is a bad thing?

In your opinion should all the players accept only 30% of what they are owed?

I think it's an absolute disgrace of a situation where fellas with mortgages to pay, families to feed and whatever else are being left hanged out to dry like this.

A disgrace.

I understand all this Des , but if the players don't accept what is on the table at present then if the club completely fold then they get noting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Sarge wrote: »
    I understand all this Des , but if the players don't accept what is on the table at present then if the club completely fold then they get noting ?

I'd say all the clubs assets, etc... would be sold off, then all creditors including players be paid. Just a guess tbh.

McIlroy would be great if true. But lets face it - its probably yet another fabrication. A joke we are at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohs to stay full time, talks continue with players and a paycut of some sort will probably be agreed to before we can start signing players.

McIlroy would be great if true. But lets face it - its probably yet another fabrication. A joke we are at this stage.

At this stage?

At least we're not D*bs.

McIlroy would be great if true. But lets face it - its probably yet another fabrication.
    http://www.thevisitor.co.uk/morecambe-sport/Shrimps-block-Cork-move-for.4847715.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Of course what I meant was shouldn't be budgeting on an assumption?
    Apologies, I wasn't sure if it was a typo or not.

However, I have to disagree with you on the above. Every company budgets on assumptions, it's what budgets are all about. Assumptions on units sold, sales prices, assumptions of increases/decreases in running costs (rent, light and heat etc.). You actually HAVE to make assumptions. Budgets look to predict future performance, and as the future is uncertain, assumptions must therefore be made.

Just to clarify, the above isn't saying gamble the future of by spending a sh*tload and "assuming" you're going to win the EuroMillions. You must make reasonable assumptions, looking at the likelihood of the event to happen.

Some things just can't be forseen and budgeted for (e.g. Arkaga pulling out, despite a promise to keep funding Cork until at least the end of the season).

• Advertisement

David Crawley has signed for Shels again.

^^^ Brilliant. Delighted to hear that :D

No confirmation from Shels about this.

I hope it's not true

No confirmation from Shels about this.

I hope it's not true

It was published in the local dundalk rag that he had signed a pre contract agreement.

edit : he had 4 or so goals last season and about 10+ assists for a left back good record i have to say.

It was published in the local dundalk rag that he had signed a pre contract agreement.

Does the local Dundalk rag have a website?

edit : nothing has been agreed with Shels, as of yet.

But it remains a possibility.

I effing hate Crawley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Lots of speculation up here that Linfield are on the verge of signing Kevin McHugh from Derry.

Publin wrote: »
    Every company budgets on assumptions, it's what budgets are all about. Assumptions on units sold, sales prices, assumptions of increases/decreases in running costs (rent, light and heat etc.). You actually HAVE to make assumptions. Budgets look to predict future performance, and as the future is uncertain, assumptions must therefore be made.
    True, but such assumptions, if proven to be incorrect, should not threaten the future of the business. Hoey essentially gambled Drogs' future on securing planning permission for the new stadium. While it seems that he was screwed over somewhat by Meath County Council, that doesn't excuse the gung-ho business model he (and the rest of the board) adopted.

smashey wrote: »
    Lots of speculation up here that Linfield are on the verge of signing Kevin McHugh from Derry.

Hiya my old lavender friend. :D

Hiya my old lavender friend. :D
    Des, if you have nothing to add to the thread then... :D

What about ye?

• Advertisement

Indeed:
    McHugh poised for Linfield move

January 5, 2009

Derry City striker Kevin McHugh is poised to complete a move to JJB Premiership side Linfield in the coming weeks.

McHugh struggled for a regular starting place at Derry last season, when Mark Farren, Sammy Morrow and former Linfield man Thomas Stewart were often preferred in attack.

And Linfield chief David Jeffrey has revealed that he is keen to bring the former Finn Harps front-man to Windsor Park.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/derrycity/news.asp?n=35394

Other rumours currently circulating:
    • Gary O’Neill, Ger Rowe and Ross Gaynor all off to Fingal.
    • Ollie Cahill and Stephen Bradley to the Hoops.
    • Declan O’Brien and Darren Mansaram (on the books of the mighty Leigh Genesis F.C.) to Dundalk.

djpbarry wrote: »
    True, but such assumptions, if proven to be incorrect, should not threaten the future of the business. Hoey essentially gambled Drogs' future on securing planning permission for the new stadium. While it seems that he was screwed over somewhat by Meath County Council, that doesn't excuse the gung-ho business model he (and the rest of the board) adopted.
    Exactly. And now they are going to go bust, taking 200k of the local communities money with them. A great advertisement for football.

I effing hate Crawley.
    Word on the street is he hates you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I may hang myself if Dave Crawley signs for us again. It was literally worth the threat of non existence and us losing our premier division status to rid the club of that eejit.

from the Irish Times:
    FAI underwrite deal that may save Drogheda

EMMET MALONE Soccer correspondent

Thu, Jan 08, 2009

DROGHEDA UNITED'S hopes of survival were boosted yesterday when talks between the club's officials and the union representing the players yielded what is hoped will prove to be the basis of a deal on unpaid wages and bonuses.

PFAI general secretary Stephen McGuinness said he would take an improved offer from the club in respect of the €350,000 they owe playing staff back to his members, although that process is not expected to be completed until later today as several are now with other clubs, some overseas, and would have to be consulted in a series of phone calls.

The club hope to have a response by mid-afternoon tomorrow, when, in the event that it is positive, they will focus on negotiations with the other creditors whose approval is required for the club to come out of examinership when they return to the High Court on the 22nd of this month.

"We're cautiously optimistic that we've taken an important step in the right direction," said club spokesman Terry Collins yesterday. "It was a fairly frank exchange of views this morning but it was good, and I think both sides came away with a better idea of where the others were coming from."

The meeting, which took place at Abbotstown, was overseen by FAI chief executive John Delaney who, Collins said, had played a positive role. Both sides agreed to keep the terms of the new offer under wraps, but, he said, "it's nothing like what they were looking for the club to pay originally".

In fact, it appears the €91,000 lump sum offered has not been improved, but United officials, led by long-time chairman Vincent Hoey, have agreed to make some additional payments to the players over the next three months, a proposal they had previously rejected,and it is understood the FAI have guaranteed those payments.

The talks at Drogheda, as it happens, are just one, particularly extreme part of a countrywide scramble by senior clubs to get their financial affairs in order by the end of this month so they can secure licences to play in the league this year.

Cork City officials, who appear to be on course to name former Ipswich player and Newcastle United coach David Geddis as their new manager, are due to meet the FAI next week to address concerns in relation to money still owed to players and a number of recent glitches in relation to payment.

Double winners Bohemians, and St Patrick's Athletic, meanwhile, are seeking 30 per cent pay cuts from their players, and in at least one case, a player who agreed to sign for one of the clubs recently has had the terms on offer substantially reduced prior to the contract being finalised.

Talks at both clubs are continuing, and Pat Fenlon's hopes of putting together a squad capable of mounting a serious defence of the trophies won last year would appear to depend upon the 12 players currently under contract agreeing to accept an erosion of their terms.

The situation has not been helped by a decision, likely to be confirmed over the coming weeks, to effectively shelve the Setanta Sports Cup until the latter part of the year, with the next final of the competition, which provides significant income to the country's leading clubs, unlikely to be played before the spring of 2010.

At yesterday's meeting in Abbotstown, Delaney is said to have expressed the opinion that the mayhem among league clubs is essentially a one-off adjustment and that the more stringent financial regulations being brought in by the association will prevent a repeat of problems on anything like this scale.

Asked if he believed the assurances, McGuinness said he could only hope Delaney is proven right.

"As things stand," he said, "there are going to be a lot less jobs for footballers in this country next year, and the ones there are going to get a lot less money, so it seems the only positive straw we can grasp at is that whatever contracts are handed out over the coming weeks will at least be honoured."

© 2009 The Irish Times

Fúck you FAI.

Fúck you John Delaney.

Fúck you League of Ireland.

Fúck you Drogheda United.

Fúck Them All

Bunch of cúnting ****.

The part in blu takes the fúcking biscuit.

The FAI are underwriting the players unpaid wages?

What the fúck kind of shambolic decision is that? They couldn't wait to punish Shels.

Double standards.

Double fúcking standards.

That whole "organisation" should be disbanded.

Un-fúcking-believable.

I am so fúcking angry at that.

So fúcking angry.

• Advertisement

from the Irish Times:

Fúck you FAI.

Fúck you John Delaney.

Fúck Them All

Bunch of cúnting ****.

What the fúck kind of shambolic decision is that? They couldn't wait to punish Shels.

Double standards.

Un-fúcking-believable.

So fúcking angry.
    That's it Des, get it off your chest. Don't hold back. :eek:

That's it Des, get it off your chest. Don't hold back. :eek:

I'm seriously considering doing a Maxi.

Seriously.

No way Drogheda can get a Premier Division licence if they still owe players and are to pay them over the next three months.

I have a horrible, horrible feeling UCD are staying up.

I have a horrible, horrible feeling UCD are staying up.

Best run club in the league by a country mile, for the last few decades.

They stick to the rules, live within their means, and have NEVER overspent stupidly, done dodgy land deals or anything else.

They should be in the Premier on merit, instead other teams cheated them out of it over the years.

I include Shelbourne in that.

Fúck. Fúck. Fúck. Fúck. Fúck. Fúck. Fúck.

This is a fúcking complete and absolute joke.

How can this league be taken with any modicum of seriousness any more?

Spend what the fúck you want, ah shure the friendly FAI will bail you out.

What the fúck kind of shít is that?

How can they justify this?

Why are they doing this?

Please, people of Boards who don't follow the LoI, stay away from games, don't even think about supporting this utter shambolic league and it's clown administrators, I totally understand it now.

We are a living joke, you don't respect us, and fair play to you.

We don't deserve respect.

We deserve to be derided from pillar to post at every opportunity, we deserve nothing but contempt from you.

Well done FAI.

You have turned a laughing stock of a league down one dark alley too many.

This is a horrible day.

Fúck you.

Fúck you.

Fúck you.

• Advertisement

Best run club in the league by a country mile, for the last few decades.

They stick to the rules, live within their means, and have NEVER overspent stupidly, done dodgy land deals or anything else.

They should be in the Premier on merit, instead other teams cheated them out of it over the years.

I include Shelbourne in that.
    All very true, put its still a pain in the arse having to play them.

Des, heres a nice thread on fool.ie you might like:
    'Fair play to the FAI'

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=109578

All very true, put its still a pain in the arse having to play them.

'Fair play to the FAI'

That's an interesting thread when you consider Finn Harps have said they are closely monitoring Drogheda's situation.

'Fair play to the FAI'

Idiot.

Fúck you FAI.

Fúck you John Delaney.

Fúck Them All

Bunch of cúnting ****.

Double standards.

Un-fúcking-believable.

So fúcking angry.
    As eloquently as you have put this, I have to disagree. This is about paying the players, not bailing Drogheda out as such; we still don't know what form their punishment will take, but if wages are outstanding, relegation should be the absolute minimum.

I agree 100% on UCD by the way. Every club in the Premier should be taking note of what's happening at Belfield - live within your means and focus on producing your own talent (and play some decent football while you're at it).

djpbarry wrote: »
    This is about paying the players

If the FAI are giving guarantees for the players of Drogheda United to be paid, then they should level the playing field and give guarantees to the players of ALL clubs.

All or nothing.

No special treatment for any club.

What has Drogheda done to deserve this from the FAI?

Spend wildly beyond their means, on some pipe dream about a new stadium that hadn't even got planning permission. Give large contracts to players based on this, which they now cannot honour.

What is stopping another club doing this this season.

What is stopping Cork City going out and snapping up all the talent on huge contracts, then crying precedence this time next season?

The FAI are doing the wrong thisng here, and opening a very big can of worms for themselves.

This is nothing but pure imcompetence.

Should the also step in with Athlone Town, Finn Harps and whatever other clubs are struggling to pay their players?

Is that what you are saying?

Or if you only think Drogheda should be helped, then please, explain why?

This is another farcicial situation created by the cretins who run football in this country.

Our league is a joke, and they are making it worse.

Idiotic clowns, every last one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It is a joke, I've been saying it on here for years, I know I won't be going back to a match anytime soon

I know I won't be going back to a match anytime soon

I'm this >.< close to being of the same mind.

What is stopping Cork City going out and snapping up all the talent on huge contracts, then crying precedence this time next season?

Why us?

Why us?

:rolleyes:

OK, let's try again

What is stopping Cork City, Galway United, Derry City, Shelbourne, or any other club going out and snapping up all the talent on huge contracts, then crying precedence this time next season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

:rolleyes:

OK, let's try again

What is stopping Cork City, Galway United, Derry City, Shelbourne, or any other club going out and snapping up all the talent on huge contracts, then crying precedence this time next season?
    Nothing! Great idea! Promotion here we come! :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement