Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Des wrote: »
    Or if you only think Drogheda should be helped, then please, explain why?
    I didn’t say that. I was merely stating what I see as being the motivation behind the guarantee, i.e. to get the players paid and satisfy the PFAI. Now, if Drogheda somehow end up playing Premier Division football next year with the FAI’s support, then I will not hesitate to join you in criticising Delaney and co. But I’m going to reserve judgment for now until I see exactly what comes of Drogheda and what treatment they get from the licensing committee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mc Donnell has left St Pats after finding out he had no team when he came back from his holidays :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Mc Donnell has left St Pats after finding out he had no team when he came back from his holidays :eek:

What?

where's the pats side then?

St Patrick's Athletic today confirm the departure of John McDonnell from his role as first team manager with immediate effect. This decision was taken following discussions with CEO Richard Sadlier.

The club would like to thank John for his huge contribution and wish him every success in the future.

http://www.stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=2794

Not sure what to make of this. I wasn't a huge fan, but the circumstances surrounding his departure seem quite strange, to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

What?

where's the pats side then?

14 left players under contract, between Derry Rovers and Dundalk 7 will be gone by the time training starts. Byrne gone, Gavin about to go.

No idea how one of the above clubs can afford Dempsey or Quigley who even after they take the 30% paycut are on 2 grand-ish each.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Pure Cork wrote: »
    Why us?

Eh, maybe because you don't have a good rep when it comes to fulfilling players contratcs and paying people you owe money. :rolleyes:
    djpbarry wrote: »

Not sure what to make of this. I wasn't a huge fan, but the circumstances surrounding his departure seem quite strange, to say the least.

Strange? Spending big bucks and not winning trophies. Par for the course if you ask me.

Nice bloke Johnny though, just glad he had no success there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Derek Glynn signs for Longford Town. Happy with that signing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

quite strange, to say the least.

Hardly surprising... from RTE:
    Brian Kerr will be the overwhelming favourite to succeed McDonnell.

Kerr left his role as Director of Football at the club in the middle last year, with rumours of conflict with McDonnell rife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

This news is disappointing on so many levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Dundalk announce a few signings for the season , Shaun Kelly has been unveiled. Darren Mansaram & Harpal Singh have also been confirmed as having signed for the club.Declan O'Brien's signing is close but not complete.

Sean Connors has also said that he will have about 14full time players next season running off a budget of about 12k. He has talked about 2 internationals(current) coming to us next week or two :D

Dundalk 20/1 to win the premiership next season :D

Sarge wrote: »

That is hilarious especially considering Dundalk don't play in the Premiership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Eh, maybe because you don't have a good rep when it comes to fulfilling players contratcs and paying people you owe money. :rolleyes:

Ever get bored of typing the same thing over and over, or do you just cut and paste from your last yawn inducing nonsense?

Re Kerr to SPA - would he manage a part time team (now that they are allegedly part time)?

Re McDonnell. This fills me with dread. I can see him ending up at City :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

If Drogheda and Cork are bailed out, then I 100% agree with Des. This league is an absolute shambles, and I'll never ever disagree with anyone who wants nothing to do with it again. Absolutely disgusting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

DSB wrote: »
    If Drogheda and Cork are bailed out, then I 100% agree with Des. This league is an absolute shambles, and I'll never ever disagree with anyone who wants nothing to do with it again. Absolutely disgusting

Why are you bringing us into it?

Strange? Spending big bucks and not winning trophies. Par for the course if you ask me.
    Absolutely; like I said, I'm not exactly a fan. Just thought the announcement was a bit out of the blue.
    gimmick wrote: »
    Re Kerr to SPA - would he manage a part time team (now that they are allegedly part time)?
    He did it before. Besides, I'd be surprised if Pats were going to be completely part-time - I think they're just reversing the move they made last year in going completely full-time, which makes a bit of a mockery of their decision to release Darragh Maguire :(, especially considering the (“full-time”) clowns that were brought in to supposedly replace him. There's a little too much emphasis put on the part-time/full-time label anyway - it's the player's attitude that's important. Replacing part-timers with inferior full-timers is just daft.

• Advertisement

Ever get bored of typing the same thing over and over, or do you just cut and paste from your last yawn inducing nonsense?

Have a look at post #349 in this thread and you'll see why I posted it.

Because some of you lot don't realise how much you've got away with. Walking away from huge debts and getting a 10 point penalty, how tough is that? :rolleyes:

As Des said, with Drogheda getting help from the FAI what's to stop Cork running up big debts again and then going begging to the FAI crying that they saved Drogheda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

As Des said, with Drogheda getting help from the FAI what's to stop Cork running up big debts again and then going begging to the FAI crying that they saved Drogheda.

The FAI arent paying Droghedas debts. Their trying to broker a deal between drogheda and the PFAI. Something which they should be involved in.

If the FAI were playing no part in these negotiations it would be a foolish mistake to do so given the current state of the league.

As for Cork running up large debts again, the players that have re-signed have taken a pay cut and the squad will only have a set number of pro's next season. I doubt they will be putting themselves in the position to go into debt again given what's happened.

Thats fair enough, but my reading of the situation is the FAI are making sure the players get paid. It is far from bailing Drogheda out. They are still in the mire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Darren Quigley to Bray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭Publin

Thats fair enough, but my reading of the situation is the FAI are making sure the players get paid. It is far from bailing Drogheda out. They are still in the mire.

Exactly. If Drogheda United manage to continue on in business, they will have to pay the money to the players. It's only if they go bust, and after paying off the Revenue and secured creditors, there is no money left to pay the players, that the FAI will step in and cover the amount remaining. They'll only pay the money out if Drogheda fold and the players don't get paid.

What's to stop other clubs doing it next year? Good question. Well, clubs who have assets (i.e. own their own ground) would just be forced to sell their asset (a few times if you're Bohs :o:rolleyes:) in order to pay off the players. Clubs that have no assets could just overspend though and could look to the FAI to step in as in this case. As someone mentioned earlier, if they step in for one club they should step in for every club.

Really it's just giving Drogheda more time to raise money and a chance at survival, without actually handing over money to them. I think some people are over-reacting on this thread...

Re McDonnell. This fills me with dread. I can see him ending up at City :eek:

Re Johnny Mc... disappointed he's gone from Pats. They might appoint someone decent now.

Didn't Kerr leave on really bad terms? I didn't think it was down solely to falling out with Johnny Mc either. Definitely can't see it being Kerr. Osam maybe? Gormley? Both legends at Pats.

Don't blame you for being worried though gimmick! Him or his clone (Doolin) would be awful appointments for you if it happened.

And re Crawwwwwwwleyyyyyy... :D
    True, but such assumptions, if proven to be incorrect, should not threaten the future of the business. Hoey essentially gambled Drogs' future on securing planning permission for the new stadium. While it seems that he was screwed over somewhat by Meath County Council, that doesn't excuse the gung-ho business model he (and the rest of the board) adopted.

Hoey/Drogheda fooked up alright, but they were screwed over by the NRA from what I understand. They were only interested in investing in Drogs because they thought they'd make his money on the property deal. They operated on this basis, rightly or wrongly. Lots of companies would be in trouble if their bank refused to give them credit or called in loans outstanding, just as Drogs were when planning permission was refused and money was no longer going to be pumped in.

Still... will clubs learn anything from all the crap that's gone on this year?? Will they f**k. It might get better next year, but in another 2 or 3 seasons time we'll be back in the same position again.
    Darren Mansaram & Harpal Singh have also been confirmed as having signed for the club.Declan O'Brien's signing is close but not complete.

Sean Connors has also said that he will have about 14full time players next season running off a budget of about 12k. He has talked about 2 internationals(current) coming to us next week or two :D

Mans is a good signing for you lot, he always causes defenders hassle. But f**k he is a frustrating player to watch. For a big bloke, he just can't win a header to save his life. He also has the worst touch I've ever seen from a professional footballer. He's awkward and clumsy, but somehow he manages to cause havoc in opposition defences and he'll score a few goals. Loves playing against Pats too!

As for Singh... always injured. Always. Hope you get to see him play at some stage next season. He can cross a ball alright, and he's quite quick. Has a trick or two as well but he's a bit light. He'll be a good signing if you can get him fit and get him playing consistently.

As for Connor... :rolleyes:.

• Advertisement

Sean Connors has also said mass

fyp

Mathews to SPA are the reports down here this morning.

Mathews to SPA are the reports down here this morning.

Hope gets a job after the way he was treated.

Indeed, poor St Alan, more sinned against than sinning. For shame CCFC, for shame.

Indeed, poor St Alan, more sinned against than sinning. For shame CCFC, for shame.

You know the way he was let go was an abomination.

I suuurrrre do. Terrible stuff altogether. Poor poor Alan. No wrong doing on his behalf at all.

What did he do wrong?

For one thing, he is a poor manager who should ahve never got the job in the first place. I don't look at the Setanta as an achievement aas I do not see it as any big deal. So, as far as I am concerned, that is why he was sacked.

Bitter about this maybe? hmmmm :rolleyes:

from the Irish Times
    from the Irish Times:

............. Former Ipswich Town striker David Geddis and ex-Ireland international Brian Carey are, meanwhile, both believed to have turned down the manager's job at Cork City.

Club owner Tom Coughlan, who offered the post to former Cork Gaelic football boss Billy Morgan before Christmas, has apparently contacted the League Manager's Association in England asking for a list of potential candidates.

The Football Managers' Association of Ireland has, however, also been in touch with its sister organisation to outline the circumstances of Alan Mathews's dismissal from the job and to inform would-be candidates of the club's failure since to pay him any of the money he is due under the terms of his contract.

A number of players have expressed frustration over the dismissal of Mathews, the ongoing failure to find a successor and the delay in offering new deals to a number of key squad members. ........................

Yiz haven't paid him off yet?

Why?

Ya, that is 100% true :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Roll on January 31st!

Anyone any idea when the fixtures will be out? I am assuming first week of Feb again?

Anyone any idea when the fixtures will be out? I am assuming first week of Feb again?

Well, as soon as the teams for each division are determined.

I look forward to a trip to Turner's X next season. :D

We might just bypass them Des..

SantryRed wrote: »
    We might just bypass them Des..

No, we won't.

Well by your logic for Cork to go down. That would be two teams coming down from the Premier, them and Drogs. Harps in trouble. Cobh in trouble.

Could happen ;)

Well by your logic

Who says I'm being logical?

I'm on the wind-up here :D

Ah sure I'm dreaming anyways.

I'm sure the FAI have a plan to put Fingal ahead of us if needs be.

Publin wrote: »
    Didn't Kerr leave on really bad terms?
    Not sure – it was pretty hush, hush. But by all accounts, it was simply a case of there not being a job for him to do. Bit daft having a director of football at an Irish club.
    Publin wrote: »
    I didn't think it was down solely to falling out with Johnny Mc either. Definitely can't see it being Kerr. Osam maybe? Gormley? Both legends at Pats.
    Kerr has allegedly been itching to get back into management for a while now, but I’d be surprised if he went back to Pats. I imagine Gormley would be a popular choice with the fans alright. Not sure about Matthews, but hopefully they’ll steer clear of Doolin. There’s talk of Gill being in the running too…

• Advertisement

Ya, that is 100% true :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'd well believe as I haven't read anything about Cork paying Matthews and Cok players have been complaining in the media about not getting paid too.

Licences are out on 18 Feb, so any time after that. Sure there's no rush is there? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

Drogheda United have reached agreement with the players over a wage settlement I believe. More details to follow this afternoon. We've a fighting chance of survival now.

A P wrote: »
    We've a fighting chance of survival now.

With a nice little helping hand from the FAI :rolleyes:

Disgusting. If Drogheda are playing anything above A League football next season I honestly don't know how I'll contain myself. Kildare County should definitely sue. They'd hardly be subject to the rule of not being able to sue the FAI considering they're not gonna be able to get even a First Division licence in the current circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

I'm sure the FAI have a plan to put Fingal ahead of us if needs be.

;)

DSB wrote: »
    Disgusting. If Drogheda are playing anything above A League football next season I honestly don't know how I'll contain myself. Kildare County should definitely sue. They'd hardly be subject to the rule of not being able to sue the FAI considering they're not gonna be able to get even a First Division licence in the current circumstances.

Kildare County don't want to be in the First Division.

• Advertisement

Kildare County don't want to be in the First Division.

Where are you getting that from?

http://www.kildarecountyfc.com/news/news-details.asp?NewsID=1120

Yeah, I'd well believe as I haven't read anything about Cork paying Matthews and Cok players have been complaining in the media about not getting paid too.

Mathews backpay is sorted. AFAIK all the players have agreed their back pay structures as well, so whats your point?

Re Kildare, I think there was something in the papers a few weeks ago saying that they want out of the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Dundalk announce a few signings for the season , Shaun Kelly has been unveiled. Darren Mansaram & Harpal Singh have also been confirmed as having signed for the club.Declan O'Brien's signing is close but not complete.

I read this today. How the hell can they afford this? Dundalk to go bust in 2 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

With a nice little helping hand from the FAI :rolleyes:

How are the FAI helping them?

The FAI were brokering negotiations between Drogheda and the PFAI which as they are running the league would be considered one of their responsibilities.

How are the FAI helping them?

The FAI were brokering negotiations between Drogheda and the PFAI which as they are running the league would be considered one of their responsibilities.

The FAI are guaranteeing the wages.

How are they doing this?

If Drogheda don't pay them, the FAI will.

Now, how many other clubs have gotten that kind of safety net?

Is it even legal?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement