Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LoI Close Season Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2008-09

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Des wrote: »
    The FAI are guaranteeing the wages.

How are they doing this?

If Drogheda don't pay them, the FAI will.

Now, how many other clubs have gotten that kind of safety net?

Is it even legal?

Do you have concrete evidence of this because your the only source i'v heard this from. No other news reports etc make any mention of the FAI paying off the debts if drogheda are unable to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Good common-sense piece from Mick Wallace in today's Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0109/1231406004279.html

Generally agree with what he's saying, although I think his criticism of clubs for not putting enough funds into ground improvements is a bit harsh - it's easier to get these things done when you happen to be in the construction business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shane Barrett (from Drogs)
    David Crawley (from Dundalk)
    Dave McAllister (from Drogs
    Robbie Hedderman (re-signed)
    Vinnie Whelan (re-signed)

Shane Barrett is a great signing, Dundalk were trying to sign him but well.:cool: Signing McAllister is great, was on-loan with us last season and he's immense. Won't comment on Crawley.:pac:

Our team so far:
    Dean Delaney
    Vinnie Whelan

Paul Marney
    Kevin Doherty
    Damien Brennan
    Alan Keely
    Robbie Hedderman
    David Crawley

David Cassidy
    Mark O'Brien
    Derek Doyle
    Dave McAllister
    Dave McGill

Anto Flood
    Peter Hynes
    Darren Meenan
    Shane Barrett

Shane Barrett is a great signing...
    If he stays fit, then yeah, absolutely, you've got a good Premier division front man there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Forgot Giller Gav ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Amazing stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

djpbarry wrote: »
    Good common-sense piece from Mick Wallace in today's Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2009/0109/1231406004279.html

Generally agree with what he's saying, although I think his criticism of clubs for not putting enough funds into ground improvements is a bit harsh - it's easier to get these things done when you happen to be in the construction business.
    Superb piece by Wallace. Spot on in every way, in particular his dismissal of the vain chase for Euro glory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭DmanDmythDledge

Our team so far:
    Dean Delaney
    Vinnie Whelan

Paul Marney
    Kevin Doherty
    Damien Brennan
    Alan Keely
    Robbie Hedderman
    David Crawley

David Cassidy
    Mark O'Brien
    Derek Doyle
    Dave McAllister
    Dave McGill

Anto Flood
    Peter Hynes
    Darren Meenan
    Shane Barrett
    Where do the midfielders play? I'd say there's a good chance Meenan will play left wing for you. Miles better than Doyle in that position anyway.

Where do the midfielders play? I'd say there's a good chance Meenan will play left wing for you. Miles better than Doyle in that position anyway.

Cassidy can play left and right afaik.
    McAllister can play left and centre.
    O'Brien and McGill are both centre.

Heard a rumour Chambers going to Bohs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

If Shels can get that team on the pitch, they look miles ahead of their nearest rivals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If Shels can get that team on the pitch, they look miles ahead of their nearest rivals
    I'd say Fingal will be up there with them come the start of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Gary Curran has joined Longford Town from Sligo Rovers.

I'd say Fingal will be up there with them come the start of the season
    We'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

gimmick wrote: »
    Mathews backpay is sorted. AFAIK all the players have agreed their back pay structures as well, so whats your point?

So some of your (ex-)players are in the media moaning about not getting paid and then your club sort it all out and don't release a statement to the media to counter the bad publicity? :confused:

Highly unlikely we'll be allowed field 17 players in each game. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

lol -
    Cork City are preparing to launch a double swoop for St Pat's striker Mark Quigley and Bohemians goalkeeper Brian Murphy. [Irish Sun]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

bohsman wrote: »
    lol -
    Cork City are preparing to launch a double swoop for St Pat's striker Mark Quigley and Bohemians goalkeeper Brian Murphy. [Irish Sun]

Who's the journo who reported it?

We've allegedly signed Alan Cawley, Owen Morrisson, John Russell and Stephen Parkhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

That snippet was on the Setanta website, doubt anyone would dare put a name to that. Im sure Cork have better things to be spending 500k on than a new keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

hunter164 wrote: »
    We'll see.

yes we will. Bring it on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Zebra3 wrote: »
    So some of your (ex-)players are in the media moaning about not getting paid and then your club sort it all out and don't release a statement to the media to counter the bad publicity? :confused:

Kearney? Why should the club release a statement to quell lies? FFS, if they did that, the website would have a new statement twice a day.

Colin Healy and Mark McNulty reject new deals. Could not care less about the latter, but it is vital we hold on to Healy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

Mathews backpay is sorted. AFAIK all the players have agreed their back pay structures as well, so whats your point?
    Source?

Kearney? Why should the club release a statement to quell lies? FFS, if they did that, the website would have a new statement twice a day.
    What lies are you talking about?

Your club captain Dan Murray telling porkies too? :rolleyes:

http://www.setanta.com/uk/Articles/Football/2009/1/5/LOI-Murray-on-Cork/gnid-33998/

What lies are they? He is saying he is pissed off with things as they stand? Who wouldn't be? And where does he mention anything about backpay? I suppose it suits your agenda anyway. he is right - we are a laughing stock. CCFC will be playing in an empty stadium no matter what division we find ourselves in at the start of the new season at the rate things are going.
    Pure Cork wrote:
    Source?

Me.
    What lies are you talking about?

"Zebra3" is going on about players complaining about not being paid, or backpay or something, when that is just not a fact.

Sorry but no link to the website but as posted on Shelsweb....

http://forum.shelbournefc.ie/chat/viewtopic.php?t=10004&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=570
    Posted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:22 pm Post subject:

Interview in today Mirror with Dan Murray in which he talks about huge unrest among the Cork City players:

Players still owed a lot of money.

Not happy that Kearney was allowed leave to one of their main rivals.

Not many players signed for next season.

No manager appointed yet.

General uncertainty.

Believe what you want sunshine. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Technically they are still owed plenty money, but packages have been worked out with all contracted players where they get their back money. Thats a fact. Anything other than that in "The Mirror", well known for its facts, is incorrect. But believe what you want to believe sunshine :rolleyes:

So your club captain is moaning in the media about a deal regarding his back pay that he agreed to?

And CCFC agreed a deal with all staff and never released a statement to show that the club is getting its act together in an effort to counter all the negative publicity of the last few months?

:confused:

He is moaning that he has not got all the money now, which is understandable. But you can spin it whatever way you want. Good to see you are so concerned for the well being of Cork City FC players.

As for press release etc, CCFC has never been known for doing such. They should have learned from previous mistakes in that regard.

Technically they are still owed plenty money, but packages have been worked out with all contracted players where they get their back money. Thats a fact. Anything other than that in "The Mirror", well known for its facts, is incorrect. But believe what you want to believe sunshine :rolleyes:

What about the 1s who are no longer contracted? Does the same apply?

That I do not know. I would assume so given the fact that if they are not sorted out, there will be no license granted at the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Well it does depend on if the money is there. I'm sure they've been paid off if Cork can afford to.

:eek: Zayed and O'Neill to Fingal!
    Ambitious First Division outfit Sporting Fingal have completed a sensational double transfer swoop with the acquisition of strikers Gary O’Neill and Eamon Zayed.
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/eircomleague/news.asp?n=35470

Cobh propose to sell St. Colman's Park to the FAI:
    RTE.ie wrote:
    The members of Cobh Ramblers have voted overwhelmingly to support a proposal that would allow the FAI to purchase their ground, St Colman's Park, for €500,000, writes RTÉ Soccer Correspondent Tony O'Donoghue.

The club hope to pay off their debts and lease back the ground over a period of ten years, a plan they say will save the club from folding.

This was the third EGM of the Cobh Ramblers' membership as the current chairman, Barry Walsh, tried to steer through a proposal by Cobh to the FAI that they would buy the ground for a ten-year period with the stipulation that the club remain in the League of Ireland during that time.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2009/0112/cobh.html

Very foolish, short-sighted move, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

If Torpedo continue in this vein of signings, they will be a quality team.

I'm happy with Shels' squad though.

Shaun Williams (Drogs), Shane McFaul (UCD) and Ross Gaynor (Cobh) have all supposely signed for Fingal, along with Darren Quigley on a season-long loan.

Shaun Maher (Drogs) and Stephen Paisley (Pats) are rumoured to be off to Fingal aswell.

Doolin to Cork according to foot.ie.

Doolin to Cork according to foot.ie.

Meeting them at the moment according to my sources.

At least there will be some good news to counter balance this terrible awful news.

Mathews then Doolin? Jesus H Christ. I don't know why I bother with Cork City FC. If this is confirmed, I don't think i will anymore :rolleyes:

Doolin OUT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

At least there will be some good news to counter balance this terrible awful news.

Mathews then Doolin? Jesus H Christ. I don't know why I bother with Cork City FC. If this is confirmed, I don't think i will anymore :rolleyes:

Doolin OUT

Doolin said he was'nt interviewed or applied for the City job so it's unlikely he'll get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Doolin said he was'nt interviewed or applied for the City job so it's unlikely he'll get it.

he's in cork thrashing out terms with tom coughlan.

not too amused with this appointment. crap football here we come (well, crapper than last years crap fest under AM)

bring back rico.

Where is he quoted as saying this?

• Advertisement

Supposely it was confirmed on RedFM according to a lad I know in Cork.:eek:

This was written by ace reporter Noel Spillane in Cork's Evening Echo tonight.

This was witten by ace reporter Noel Spillane in Cork's Evening Echo tonight.

The fact that he's there, or the fact that he denied any contact with the club?

Stop being ambiguous. :)

Whatever he wrote, I won't believe it anyway.

The fact that he's there, or the fact that he denied any contact with the club?

Stop being ambiguous. :)

Whatever he wrote, I won't believe it anyway.

Neither does anybody else. http://www.eecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

Was there a song before called "the last to know"

He will unveiled tomorrow AFAIK.

Neither does anybody else. http://www.eecho.ie/pdf/back.pdf

I can't see paedophiles in work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Dunno if it's been posted somewhere in here, but Ollie Cahill supposed to be on his way to Rovers. He's 33 now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

dfx- wrote: »
    Dunno if it's been posted somewhere in here, but Ollie Cahill supposed to be on his way to Rovers. He's 33 now..

maybe he might come back to cork now do*lin is here?

although he failed a medical at derry so i wouldnt be in too much of a hurry to sign him

Why would he go back to Cork after all the abuse he's taken off you bitter lot for years?

I've even heard of some sad bastards from Cork verbally abusing the guy in the street, in a totally non-footballing context.

• Advertisement

Why would he go back to Cork after all the abuse he's taken off you bitter lot for years?

*Cough* Crawley *Cough*:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement