Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of getting N96

• 18-11-2008 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭

I'm itching for a new handset and I'm thinking of swapping my iPhone 1st gen for a N96.

Has anyone any experience with it here? I've been reading reviews on this one that aren't too positive, saying it's slower than the n95 - is this true, in real life usage?

Would I be crazy to swap the iPhone for the n96? Opinions would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

I unlocked a Nokia N96 for a member of Boards the other day, and I didn't think much of it, it feels & looks cheap. I don't like the iPhone either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,066 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Have a look at the N85 - better screen and battery than the N96, i think the processor is faster too. Better phone imo; only advantage the N96 has is mobile TV which I don't think we'll be seeing in Ireland all that soon anyway.

As for the swap from the IPhone - depends what you want from your phone. If you want is as a media player, than the iPhone is the better bet. I would say the N85/96 are better actual phones though, with better cameras too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Elessar wrote: »
    Would I be crazy to swap the iPhone for the n96? Opinions would be great.
    That really depends on WHY the iphone makes you 'itch for a new phone'? What are you missing? What's annoying you? What do you like about the iphone?
    Imho, buying an n96 now would be foolish! It's added features do not justify the price. Consumers should ignore it and thus send a sign to manufacturers... But that's me being a petty nag! N85 seems a superior smaller brother, but again, how can anyone here make recommendations, without you giving us some more details?
    there are so many great new phones out or on the horizon...why the n96?
    I wouldn't buy an iphone but I can see why someone would...as to the n96? Hm... Get a much cheaper 95 and spend the rest on accessories, some nice programs and or a party?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Elessar

Well I'd like a better camera, good video recording, 3G, GPS. A few buttons would be nice. FM transmitter would be a bonus aswell.

To be honest, the iPhone has served me well and I like it enough but it's getting old on me now and I want a new experience. I want to get a top of the line model to replace it with.

I really like the look of the N96 but I know Nokia cripled it in so many ways. The N95 seems good too but it's still almost as expensive as the new one and looks dated.

The only other options I can see are the C905 (poor video and lack of memory supplied) or the Samsung Innov8 (looks awful imo).

I don't really mind too much about the N96 and just wondering if anyone here has it and would recommend it (and why)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Elessar wrote: »
    Well I'd like a better camera, good video recording, 3G, GPS. A few buttons would be nice. FM transmitter would be a bonus

Mate your looking for an N85 has all the above and then some, only problem with the N85 as is with all nokia N series sliders is build quality it feels cheap and the slider is kinda wobbly.

If thats no problem then get one, screen is one of the best ive seen battery life hmm well mine only lasted about 2 days but thats with 2 hours music and very heavy texting too.
    I didnt like it but im a Se fan and well have been through like 4 phones (inc Igimmick) so far this year cause cant find the right one lol im soo picky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

I've an N95 8G which is the best phone I've ever had. Other than the expandable memory card slot, the N96 has no improvements that I can see (the tv thing is useless here) and it's actually worse in other ways - smaller battery, the firmware isn't hackable (yet) for customising, the processor is slower and apparently there's no 3d accelerator chip in it - complete madness. There's no way I'd go near it, especially for the money they're asking.

The N85 seems as good if not better (fm transmitter, big battery and oled screen) and is slightly cheaper, the Samsung 8510 should be out soon and is probably better too, or you could maybe hang on for the 5800 touchscreen model.

Until Android starts popping out the apps and a decent handset comes along for it I'll be sticking with the N95 myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Ok, had a play with it earlier in a local vodafone store... And I'm not kidding: I thought the shop assistant had handed me a dummy until I turned it on! It feels like a bad toy, it's ugly in an 'unfinished prototype sorta way' - and it felt really slow compared to my n95/8... I wouldn't take it free of charge!
    Wtf??? What were they thinking? Or are those confiscated chinese n95 clones, and Nokia thought, 'ah, whatever?'???

Advertisement