Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Relieable 2nd hand cars

Options
  • 18-11-2008 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Hey,

A little help needed. What is the best 2nd hand car to buy. Just about to start driving and need something small and relieable. Was think of Fords, VW's, Fiats and Nissans.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭blobert

I have a 1999 Toyota Yaris: small, very reliable, comfortable, great fuel economy.

Only downside is that they are still a bit pricey (hold resale value well).

A micra of the same age would be a cheaper option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nissan micra....
    We need more info though. Budget? Assides from reliability what do you want? as far as size what were you thinking? Supermini, mid sized hatch etc.
    ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

In my family Toyota is considered a tractor, it's not nice to look at but will run and run.*

*pinch of salt needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Pharrell

Budget is €3000, thats includes insurance and tax. Just looking for something to have in the evenings

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fiesta 1.25 16v Zetec. Hard to beat package.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

ecomonical+small+cheap= bad value for money.

You can get a lot of 1.6s for €500 that will be equally as good as a €2k supermini without the comfort, spec and getiing blown all over the dual carriageways issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Nissan micra....
    We need more info though. Budget? Assides from reliability what do you want? as far as size what were you thinking? Supermini, mid sized hatch etc.
    ?

Most older Micras came with a 20mph speed restrictor... Yaris has good go in it, and reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I'd go with a Honda Civic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

micra is the default choice if you're not bothered about looks.should prove good for a learner.plenty about in your budget too so be picky.also the fiesta with the zetec engine is a cracking car.used to have one myself many moons ago.lovely engine.again loads about.with the way things are at the moment haggle hard

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Bryn wrote: »
    I'd go with a Honda Civic

+1. Never go smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

cantdecide wrote: »
    ecomonical+small+cheap= bad value for money.

You can get a lot of 1.6s for €500 that will be equally as good as a €2k supermini without the comfort, spec and getiing blown all over the dual carriageways issues.

I agree, if your going to be doing serious milage then a small 1.0 might work out cheap, but if your doing less than 220 miles a werk I dont see the point.

Peugeot 306 are nice.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1253464

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1224148

Advertisement