Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of 'Real Ale' in Irish Pubs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭the bolt

BeerNut wrote: »
    Not to mention the hassle of bringing them through customs. It would be much better, and a little more practical, if Ireland developed a native beer scene that was just as good.

A chap I met from one of the small English breweries at the European Beer Festival told me that CAMRA stands for Come And Meet Real Arseholes.
    some of the ones i met would fit that description to a tee

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

In the bar I work in we have Marstons Pedigree Ale on Tap. Obviously it's not the same as if you were to get it in England as it's not "pumped" when the pint is pulled. I'm not a fan of ale but a few people seem pretty pleased with it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Mongo wrote: »
    it's not "pumped" when the pint is pulled.
    IE, not real ale.

I am a fan of ale and I've never enjoyed Pedigree, cask or bottled. Never tried it from the keg, though. Not in a mad rush to either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭oconn

I happened by the porterhouse in Glasnevin when munster were playing the all-blacks. Had a pint of TSB it was nice but in chatting to the barman i asked him is it a big seller....he said they only sell about 10 pints a week. so that would mean the cask is sitting there for ever....not the 2-3 days its meant to be ?....and that ( porterhouse) is supposed to be the best ireland has to offer the beer lover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

oconn wrote: »
    I happened by the porterhouse in Glasnevin when munster were playing the all-blacks. Had a pint of TSB it was nice but in chatting to the barman i asked him is it a big seller....he said they only sell about 10 pints a week. so that would mean the cask is sitting there for ever....not the 2-3 days its meant to be ?....and that ( porterhouse) is supposed to be the best ireland has to offer the beer lover

Apparently not, Irish craft brewers did a tours last summer and they said its regularly turn over even though its cost them money

• Advertisement

oconn wrote: »
    not the 2-3 days its meant to be ?
    It's highly likely they use a cask breather which substantially prolongs the life of cask beer after it's tapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

It's highly likely they use a cask breather which substantially prolongs the life of cask beer after it's tapped.

Agreed. Plus, I would take anything a Porterhouse bar staff says with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

noby wrote: »

Agreed. Plus, I would take anything a Porterhouse bar staff says with a pinch of salt.

There is a little town near Waterford called dungarvin. There are TWO micro breweries !! If you want to try the SUPERB ales and porters, go to peaches cafe bar in Nassau street - guarantee you will love it. Also, mulligans round back of Tara street tube sells mcardles on draught, and most middle class pubs in south Dublin will sell bottles mcardles. Don't hold your breath on the ra front here, most dubs and nearly all Irish will drink either Guinness, beamish, the terrible piss they try to pass as a beer, and shots !!! They may be curious and try it, but it's a whole different story of fish (sic) when it comes to changing the habits of a lifetime -:)

thegeezer wrote: »
    There is a little town near Waterford called dungarvin. There are TWO micro breweries !
    No, just the one. Have I got that right, noby? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

There is a little town near Waterford called dungarvin. There are TWO micro breweries !! If you want to try the SUPERB ales and porters, go to peaches cafe bar in Nassau street - guarantee you will love it. Also, mulligans round back of Tara street tube sells mcardles on draught, and most middle class pubs in south Dublin will sell bottles mcardles. Don't hold your breath on the ra front here, most dubs and nearly all Irish will drink either Guinness, beamish, the terrible piss they try to pass as a beer, and shots !!! They may be curious and try it, but it's a whole different story of fish (sic) when it comes to changing the habits of a lifetime -:)

How many 3 to 4 year old threads do you plan on reviving today ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055428979&page=2

• Advertisement

Bigcheeze wrote: »

How many 3 to 4 year old threads do you plan on reviving today ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055428979&page=2

Well I did not see this info in any part of this thread ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

What the heck is a "middle class pub"? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There is a little town near Waterford called dungarvin.
    Isn't Dungarvin in Minnesota? :confused:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Heroditas wrote: »

A pub that works really hard so that it's children can have a better life? Or one that aspires to outdo the pub next door?

A pub that works really hard so that it's children can have a better life? Or one that aspires to outdo the pub next door?

Maybe a pub that borrows loads of money and is now in negative equity!
    Unfortunately that might cover a lot of them! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Heroditas wrote: »

Kielys in Donnybrook would definitely qualify :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Surly upper middles classs :p

oblivious wrote: »

Surly upper middles classs :p

Obviously not including the Ciss Madden's part of the pub in that generalization!

Do I really need to explain what middle class pubs are ? The point is that they all sell McArdles bottles - exampes are Smyths in Ranelagh, Silver Tassie in Loughlinstown, Byrnes/Bradys Shankhill, Bakers in Bakers Corner, Kozie Dun Laoghaire, Goggins Monkstown, Fitzgeralds Sandycove, Graduate Killiney, Club Bar Dalkey, Walters Dun Laoghaire, Orchard Stillorgan, McCormacks Monkstown, Hollands Bray.

Maybe we can start a definitive list of pubs we KNOW to sell either bottles of McArdles, Smithwicks or any other quality bottled beers.

BTW The Purty Kitchen in Dun Laoghaire/Monkstown are alleged to sell beers from a Micro Brewery, but they have been unavailable very time I have been there.

Hope this is useful.

Should we start a separate thread to list all known outlets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

You might be overestimating peoples interest in bottles of Macardles here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Maybe we can start a definitive list of pubs we KNOW to sell either bottles of McArdles, Smithwicks or any other quality bottled beers.

http://www.beoir.org/index.php?option=com_sobi2&catid=4&Itemid=80

There's a list of pubs selling quality bottled beer.

Sweet - thanks Irish Goat

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

For what it is worth to those here, or hereabouts, Liam O'Riain's Pub in Ballina Co.Tipperary now serves White Gypsy on tap. Formerly known as "Rusty" (or that may have been a different brew by the same brewer), this is a nice refreshing fruity ale with an abv of 4.6%, suffice to say, being local to me, I refused to leave :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

White Gypsy is a brewery. He has a number of beers such as Emerald pale ale, Ireland's only completely 100% Irish beer down to the ingredients. He grows his own hops and uses Irish malt etc.

The brewer, Cuilán is the former brewer for Messrs Maguire.

Saruman wrote: »
    White Gypsy is a brewery. He has a number of beers such as Emerald pale ale, Ireland's only completely 100% Irish beer down to the ingredients. He grows his own hops and uses Irish malt etc.

The brewer, Cuilán is the former brewer for Messrs Maguire.
    Always liked rusty at messrs so is there anywhere in Dublin you can get beers from white gypsy ?

Was down in porterhouse bray yesterday and as well as a good pint of red, also enjoyed extreme bitter hophead.

is there anywhere in Dublin you can get beers from white gypsy ?
    The Step Inn in Stepaside has a couple, I believe, and the pils and blonde are available in the Bear restaurant on South William Street. There's probably a White Gypsy bar at Bloom this weekend too.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Step Inn had three White Gypsy beers, last time I was there.

Yep - enjoyed a few down at the Step alright.

Thanks for the info

• Advertisement

Recently visited the following and they do :-

Real Ale on hand pump (probably top pressure but that has always been splitting hairs for me)
    Several other ales on tap
    Loads of different world bottled ales
    Select but excellent quality food menus

Craft beer seems to be alive and enjoying a resurgence in Dublin !!

Black sheep, Capel Street
    Against the Grain, Wexford Street

Post about it here :-

http://www.beoir.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7564&sid=7e7703bc73ce0c99a90559d247f76823&start=45

Apologies if I this has already been posted

Advertisement