Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O2 - Cant get 3G working!

• 18-11-2008 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Got a shiny new phone phone from Phonecover ysterday after my original handset died.

Anyway this one was brand spankin new out of a Nokia Box so it wasnt preloaded with any settings for the network.

I got the general WAP and MMS settings sent to me from the O2 website, but for some reason I cannot get the phone to use the 3G Network.

GSM is grand, but anytime I try get the handset to use UMTS or Dual Mode it looses its network connection. :eek:

Any fancy settings burried somewhere that i'm missing?! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Hey Guys,

Got a shiny new phone phone from Phonecover ysterday after my original handset died.

Anyway this one was brand spankin new out of a Nokia Box so it wasnt preloaded with any settings for the network.

I got the general WAP and MMS settings sent to me from the O2 website, but for some reason I cannot get the phone to use the 3G Network.

GSM is grand, but anytime I try get the handset to use UMTS or Dual Mode it looses its network connection. :eek:

Any fancy settings burried somewhere that i'm missing?! :confused:

A) is yours a 3g sim?

B) are you in a 3g area?

C) what phone? (if, e.g., your old phone just about 'got' the 3g, your new one may not. In my office at work my old e61 got o2's 3g signal! My wife's e71 doesn't - unless she holds it in a weird way in one particular corner of the room)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

A) Yep its an O2 3G Sim

B) In Sandyford Ind Est right now, but have ahd the same problem at home (Artane)

C) Its a Nokia 6233, handset comes as standard with 3G Access.

I occasionally get the little 'E' Symbol, is that the same as the little 'G' Symbol?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

A) Yep its an O2 3G Sim

B) In Sandyford Ind Est right now, but have ahd the same problem at home (Artane)

C) Its a Nokia 6233, handset comes as standard with 3G Access.

I occasionally get the little 'E' Symbol, is that the same as the little 'G' Symbol?

e=egprs/'edge' - it's faster than gprs and slower than 3g
    could
    strange that. I was gonna say, try another handset in your location, but if you're not getting 3g in various locations, you should probably have the handset checked instore?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

strecker wrote: »
    strange that. I was gonna say, try another handset in your location, but if you're not getting 3g in various locations, you should probably have the handset checked instore?!?

I thought the same until I recently done a network search on my 02 modem, seems, there is no longer 2 seperate 02 (2G) and 02 (3G) networks, The network is now named 02 (2G3G), it's ticking me right off, my modem is being someway forced onto edge by 02's new routing system......If you ask me I think there netowork is fooked....had a woman call me today, she could not get an 02 modem anywhere, not even off 02.....I think they've over stretched there network a little bit......same problem as 3 used to have but it's going to get a lot worse for 02....

Advertisement