Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling BT

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

I want to cancel my BT broadband and move elsewhere. I've had many problems with them and I'm sick of them, I do not want to give them my money any more.

Whats the best way to go about this? I am thinking of sending a registered letter to their HQ, a phone call and an email to say I want the a/c cancelled. Then a letter to my bank to cancel the direct debit. I'm with them four years, so there is no contract. Is the notice period two weeks or 30 days?

Has anyone else successfully done this?

I'm also due a refund of 40 quid but I doubt I'll ever see that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you're on the right track, that should do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Registered letter should do the trick. Get a copy of the signature from An Post when it arrives too, you can get this on the website, track.anpost.ie. Keep copies of EVERYTHING, and request any refund you are due, hold them to that too. The notice period is 14 days, it's in the T&Cs, buried deep among all the other crap, section 8.3 if memory serves. Also, canceling the DD with the bank is well advised.

You seem to have accounted for everything, best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BigMonsterLove

Are they that really difficult about cancellations? I live in Swords and want to cancel my BT broadband too. I was hoping a phone call would suffice. I don't understand why you can't just cancel online like every other service these days.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Are they that really difficult about cancellations? I live in Swords and want to cancel my BT broadband too. I was hoping a phone call would suffice. I don't understand why you can't just cancel online like every other service these days.

The short answer is Yes and of course you should be able to cancel online but following the procedures outlined above should ensure you are safe. Lots of people have had problems in the past with cancelling BT and thats why precautions are recommended. May help preserve your sanity at some time in the future.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Make sure that you tell them in the letter that any attempt to remove money by DD from your account after the expiration of the 14 days is FRAUD and will be reported to the Fraud Squad as such .

BT play fast and loose with the DD system . Also email IPSO ( some address @ ipso.ie) with a copy of the instruction you gave to cancel the DD and the date when they no longer have a legal DD in place.

Tell us how the cancellation goes please.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Make sure that you tell them in the letter that any attempt to remove money by DD from your account after the expiration of the 14 days is FRAUD and will be reported to the Fraud Squad as such .

BT play fast and loose with the DD system . Also email IPSO ( some address @ ipso.ie) with a copy of the instruction you gave to cancel the DD and the date when they no longer have a legal DD in place.
    Tell us how the cancellation goes please.

Sadly IPSO are equally useless - I wrote to them months ago asking various questions about the holding of dd information in companies, removal of such information after dd has been cancelled etc.

I am still waiting!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

dub45 wrote: »
    Sadly IPSO are equally useless

What I had in mind for the ***** was that they can be reported to the Fraud Squad as well as BT . IPSO are a major facilitator of fraud in Ireland . Fact !!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 BigMonsterLove

I rang them up, querying a bill. Turns out they'd overcharged us to the tune of €61.68. I said I was cancelling account. They seemed fine with it. I told the girl I was talking to that others had had problems and asked for a guarantee, took her name (hopefully it was real). They said it would take about 5 days. I'm sending a letter to my bank and am going to go ahead with the registered letter too just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I rang them to cancel my contract and they seemed OK with that, even though I requested a date earlier than the 14 days notification. Actually, I did want to reconnect at a later stage but since I didn't know where I'm moving to I asked to simply cancel my contract. They suggested they can relocate their services to the new address and I said I'd keep it in mind. When I did move and called them to say I decided to stick with BT (I did consider other providers but BT worked out the best option), they said they were going to close my account but they're happy that I want to stay. Apparently, they took it seriously as I got a follow up call on Friday evening asking some details about my new address. It's still not connected but I know it's because of Eircom rather than BT. In 2001 Esat were as crappy as you described here but I can't say BT are such as they're quite OK so far. Yes, as I understood a phone call would be enough for a cancellation but, of course, to be on the safe side all the above means may be necessary :cool:

none wrote: »
    In 2001 Esat were as crappy as you described here but I can't say BT are such as they're quite OK so far.

BT use the same billing system that they inherited from Esat, and it's as bad now as it was then. BT are anything but OK, I hope you have no problems with them, because they'll never be solved if you do.
    none wrote: »
    ]Yes, as I understood a phone call would be enough for a cancellation

Their official policy is to have it in writing, and you'd be well advised to do that, and obtain proof too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I cancelled my BT back in August. I emailed, rang and also faxed them and received a confirmation back that they had received it....

I received an email today requesting me to pay for the last few months because my account had never been cancelled :mad: I had heard horrible stories about peoples dealings with BT but thought I had gotten away with it.... clearly I hadn't.

Put everything in writing and take names, dates and anything else you can think of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'm still waiting on a refund from them for a phone/broadband contract which I cancelled over a year ago which they kept billing for. I have been onto them now for 3 months looking for the refund and even though they admit they owe it to me, no sign of it.
    Finally got some action last week when I mailed them cc'ing comreg. BT called me immediately PROMISING me the money by tuesday and that they would call tomorrow to verify I received it. Obviously enough it still hasn't turned up.

Bottom line..their service good, support good, billing/accounts...SH*T!!!!

The annoying thing now is that I am currently with BT at a new address and will be cancelling that in a week or two...that will be fun!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

L31mr0d wrote: »
    I cancelled my BT back in August. I emailed, rang and also faxed them and received a confirmation back that they had received it....

I received an email today requesting me to pay for the last few months because my account had never been cancelled :mad: I had heard horrible stories about peoples dealings with BT but thought I had gotten away with it.... clearly I hadn't.

Put everything in writing and take names, dates and anything else you can think of.

Wow I'm in Swords too, this does not bode well. What are you going to tell them? Regardless, I've sent the letter off, they got it, I sent an email and they replied asking what date I'd like to cancel (and the reasons - I'll ignore that bit otherwise they'll probably take offence and keep billing me!)

I'll ring this week to confirm. Regardless the DD is cancelled so they are not getting a cent more from me.

Edit: Hurrah UPC rang me tonight to confirm my address (an Indian number, nice to see they are outsourcing like everyone else :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I had no problems when I transferred my account to my old housemate when I moved out.

Even got back teh 120e security deposit I had to put down initially.

No hassle.

Did the registered letter with the transfer forms; walked into my bank with a DD cancellation letter and got a stamped copy back.

Got a call a few days later about the form and told the lady on the phone when the next DD goes out to cancel the DD after that and under no circumstances is it to be re-actived without my express written permission.

Seems cos it's a paper-less DD application you do, BT can just start it again iirc.

or something to that effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Collumbo

Guys, I have a gripe...

I actually never went ahead with an order for BT about 6 weeks ago, and today, I see a Direct Debit from my account for for 156.47. I think this is BT!

I cannot recognise the transaction and cannot find their account number on their website, but is there anyone there that can check what the sort code and account number is for BT? Sort code is 93 33 84

Account number ends in ****7026

If this is BT I'll throw bricks through their windows....

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Collumbo wrote: »
    Guys, I have a gripe...

I actually never went ahead with an order for BT about 6 weeks ago, and today, I see a Direct Debit from my account for for 156.47. I think this is BT!

I cannot recognise the transaction and cannot find their account number on their website, but is there anyone there that can check what the sort code and account number is for BT? Sort code is 93 33 84

Account number ends in ****7026

If this is BT I'll throw bricks through their windows....

thanks

If you really want to know, ring your bank.

Collumbo wrote: »
    Guys, I have a gripe...

How would BT have your account details, if you never went ahead with the order? To check who the originator is, ring your bank branch. If it is BT, tell the bank that they did not have permission to do this, and tell them to reverse it. If the bank says they can't, tell them they can, and if they still say no, tell them the financial regulator will be your next call.

If you have online banking, you should be able to check the status of direct debits on your account. I can with BOI anyway, it lists all active and canceled direct debits.

Advertisement