Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 5 gay giveaways

Options
  • 18-11-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

there was an episode of the l word where it was theorised that you could tell a lesbian by her fingernails. personally i think i act fairly straight but then i find myself doing something and thinking 'that is so stereotypically gay what i just did'. what i'm asking is do you think the signs are there to be read, even if we try to hide them. for instance, they say if your ring finger is longer than your index, it's something more common in lesbians. what do you think and do you think there are giveaways to find out if a so called 'straight' person is gay.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

to be honest, the finger thing sounds like bullsh!t.

As far as "tell tale signs" go, its pretty hard to tell if a person is gay if they're straight-acting. I'm a straight acting gay guy, and I know how annoying it can be for other gay guys to tell what gender we prefer. Heck, I know it's really annoying for me when I like guys I see who act straight.

Obviously, it's relatively easy to tell with effeminate guys as to what they prefer:p

As for girls, I'm not very experienced in that area, but I guess the whole butch thing may be a giveaway at times. Even so, it's even more difficult to tell with girls that it is with guys I think.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 294 ✭✭XJR

I would have thought that most gays (I'm one) can spot another fairly easily - you know the gaydar thing? that's not to say it's infallible though - I have on occasion got it wrong but luckily never ended up the worse for it !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

bp1989 wrote: »
    As for girls, I'm not very experienced in that area, but I guess the whole butch thing may be a giveaway at times. Even so, it's even more difficult to tell with girls that it is with guys I think.

It's definitely way more difficult to tell with girls - I know that my own gaydar is much sharper for picking out gay men than it is for picking out gay/bi women. Which can get a bit irritating sometimes!

XJR wrote: »
    I would have thought that most gays (I'm one) can spot another fairly easily - you know the gaydar thing? that's not to say it's infallible though - I have on occasion got it wrong but luckily never ended up the worse for it !

i dont really think that exists..well for me it doesnt anyway. i can only tell when its unbelievably obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Reflector

1. Always refers to partners in the plural form they, ie : never says he or she

2. Doesn't mention where they were or skims around stories about the weekend

3. Can dance

4. watches and enjoys Xfactor and other trash TV

5. trims down there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

The trouble is, you rarely find out if you were right about the more difficult ones.

Reflector wrote: »

5. trims down there

thats the only one i do :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

1. Likes to kiss boys

2. Wears military DPM clothing

3. Drinks pints of Guinness.

4. Watch action flicks with scantly clad ladies bouncing up and down.

5. Occasionally shaves facial hear.

If you match up with any of the above you're as gay as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

2. Doesn't mention where they were or skims around stories about the weekend
    Because its not possible to do anything else on a weekend, or everytime ye go somewhere?
    4. watches and enjoys Xfactor and other trash TV
    In fairness what TV do we have that ISNT trash today?
    5. trims down there
    How would that be obvious?

Guys that shop in Baby Gap

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i dunno i dont mean to offend by stereotyping but frm my opinion kinda the more rockery girl with the piercings is kinda more likely for me? or like shoes i immediately look at someones shoes! so little boy runners kinda tips me off (dont get angry at me i know many many many lesbians wear lovely heels etc)
    oh and jst general stance and walk?!....sometimes the ole gaydar jst picks it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

, they say if your ring finger is longer than your index, it's something more common in lesbians.
    Oddly enough, this actually works for me, ring finger longer than index on both hands :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Oddly enough, this actually works for me, ring finger longer than index on both hands :pac:
    Same here and with all but two of my exes. I think there's something in that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 murrno

To be honest..I hate the idea of tell-tale signs of being gay. If you happen to be a feminine woman who's gay does this mean you're a so-called "straight acting" lesbian?! In fact, I went through a phase of cutting my hair short, wearing men's clothes in order to prove that I'm gay. It was years ago..thank God!

I've no problem telling people I'm gay..if someone asks have I a boyfriend I will say either "No, I'm single right now" or if I'm in a relationship I'll reply, "No but I have a girlfriend..I'm gay". It frustrates me sometimes that people cannot tell I am gay when I go to a gay club I usually appear to be the "straight girl" who tagged along..saying that I rarely, if ever, go to gay clubs!

Anyway..on topic, a girl can be tom-boyish and heterosexual/homosexual/bisexual as can a woman who appears quite butch and also same can be said for a feminine woman. A person's personality and looks do not determine their sexual orientation. If you're wondering if someone's gay or straight best way to find out is to just ask them..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Dwn Wth Vwls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Crackerspray

Im just another straight acting guy when it comes to showing any signs of being gay, its sometimes annoying when I meet new people or like when I started my last job because it was a big shock when I mentioned my b/f. I think it depends completely on the person themselves and they're personality.

Its stupid when you think about it, why should there have to be signs of being gay? Why cant people accept that Im not "straight acting" as I dont choose to "act straight" Its just my personality! I agree that there is a camp gene that leaves signs, but not everyone has it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Crackerspray

Sorry Murrno, just read your post and mines pretty similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

the finger length thing applies to me. they refered to it in a documentary john barrowman did earlier this year, asking if people were born gay or their upbringing influenced it. they did a whole series of different tests on him. it was quite interesting. they hooked him up to a lie detector type thing and showed him different images,naked men women etc. anyway it left no doubt that he was gay. it was funny cause for a laugh the analysis came out and told him 'you're straight!' and he nearly died with devastation. wouldnt it be fab to have one of those machines to test the ones you suspect are in denial !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

i think clothes can often be a big giveaway... if a guy looks like his entire wardrobe comes from topman that can be a little hint! of course, in general, there's not always a way of telling. Which is quite annoying sometimes because if you don't have a lot of gay mates, obviously you tend to depend more heavily on gay bars and the likes of gaydar (the website) to chat up guys as opposed to everyday life.

Oh, this probably seems a bit crude, so apologies, but it's kinda on the same lines. My mate and I often discuss the idea of inherently knowing if someone is a top or a bottom in the bedroom. You might think that's a bit daft but neither of us have ever pulled a guy respectively who was also a top... thus probaqbly causing a humdinger of a problem as to how we would entertain ourselves for the rest of the night! Well, Maybe that's just chance or statistically normal, just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I'd say guys who are exclusively top are fairly rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I always got the impression a majority of gay men were more versatile than exclusively one or the other. Am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Im just another straight acting guy when it comes to showing any signs of being gay...
    Why cant people accept that Im not "straight acting" as I dont choose to "act straight"?

???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marge82

hi unregistered, i to am a lesbian and i find it hard to tell if some women are gay or straight. the finger nail thing is not always a give away. the gaydar can only do so much.If only there was a book with some good tips..

anyone out there got any hints?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭oneweb

1. Always refers to partners in the plural form they, ie : never says he or she [CHECK]
    2. Doesn't mention where they were or skims around stories about the weekend [NO CHECK]
    3. Can dance [NO CHECK]
    4. watches and enjoys Xfactor and other trash TV [NO CHECK]
    5. trims down there [sometimes CHECK]

Trying to figure out if someone is gay or not is a hell of a lot of fun, which is why I always enjoy peoples' reactions :D

I go by "If he's good looking, he must be gay!". Obviously (and unfortunately) that doesn't always hold true.

My top 5 giveaways for men:
    -Drinks cocktails [me]
    -Likes Kylie [me] or Madonna [definitely NOT me]
    -Has a number of girly friends [me]
    -Is ambiguous when talking about who's good looking [not any more!]
    -Wears nice footwear

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 marge82

Any lesbian friends Oneweb that would have some tips? This lesbian needs help when it comes to other gay women. You can't tell in the G because its always full of straight chicks. When you chat a girl up and shes straight its a bit of a downer for the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭jady88

For lesbians...

1. Dock martin's and steel toe cap boots...
    2. Loving crisps that taste like beer/beef and both preferably.
    3. Being a little grungy.
    4. Loving sports particularly golf.
    5. Being one of either Venus or Serena Williams.

For gay men...

1. Having a large number of girl friends, not so useful when dealing with D4s.
    2. The voice or gait, though this is only useful sometimes, alot of gay men have neither.
    3. In general being more interested in beauty products, though this is losing it's effectiveness rapidly.
    4. Taste in music and television can also be signs, Madonna and particular Kylie being red (pink) flags.
    5. "if instead of blood you find a deadly corrosive acid... then you've got a GAY!"

Ps. I'm only kidding about the lesbians... except for point number five.

Advertisement