Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Broadband coming to Ireland

• 18-11-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

Just got word from my boss yesterday that Sky are going to launch there Sky Broadband service Early 2009! As so many people have been asking me here at work i decided to ask my boss and she confirmed it.

Regards

Danny:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭deffin

Danny_B wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just got word from my boss yesterday that Sky are going to launch there Sky Broadband service Early 2009! As so many people have been asking me here at work i decided to ask my boss and she confirmed it.

Regards

Danny:D

another chance to rip us off with over the top pricing...! bet we won't get it on a par with our UK counterparts.!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,569 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

deffin wrote: »
    another chance to rip us off with over the top pricing...! bet we won't get it on a par with our UK counterparts.!

suppose it cound be a good thing

sky digital + sky broadband offers

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

any competition to eircom has to be welcome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

@ waster81

You say "any competition to eircom has to be welcome"

If you mean competition as in chosing a different ISP, then there are many to choose from already.

If you mean competition as in not using a telephone line, well there are other choices, UPC Cable spring to mind.

Sky are not going to offer anything different in terms of the technology behind giving you broadband. I would imagine, like most other ISP's in this country, they will deliver it down the phoneline.

Oh and surely this does not belong in the Satellite forum.

MJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

mjsmyth wrote: »

Oh and surely this does not belong in the Satellite forum.

MJ

Agreed, if it were delivered via satellite then thats a different story.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 742 ✭✭✭channelsurfer

they should sort out their prices first....sterling is 84p to the euro now.. I am not expecting them to change prices every day to suit the euro rates but for at least the last year they are making a significant premium on the exchange rate. A small reduction even would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gulliver

Ireland is the perfect opportunity for Sky to use satellite for broadband. I have Broadsat (or rather, I had - the transponder's gone wonky) and when it did work, it was quite good. Eircom charge a premium for sat services as do Irish Broadband. Sky could make a mint from us rural customers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Its about time Sky entered the market as the more competition the better, but also for some people they find it easier to pay one bill rather than 2 or 3 to different companies....

I just wonder who sky are going to buy out as I would have taught it would be almost impossible to setup a new telephone company at this late stage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guys sky so far have been using landlines to deliver broadband and unless something has changed in this regard this thread belongs in the broadband forum.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,639 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ah feck it, my hopes were rising there when I spotted the thread title only to be dashed upon reading further that is a phone service.
    I dont think my folks at home in Mayo will ever get a relatively cheap and accessible service.
    Kippy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Tony wrote: »
    Guys sky so far have been using landlines to deliver broadband and unless something has changed in this regard this thread belongs in the broadband forum.

yeah DSL only in the UK as far as I am aware...

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sky in the UK only use unbundled exchanges (can't remember the company they took over), if and where available.

I have read somewhere on Broadcastnow that there have been rumours linking Sky with Tiscali and Talktalk too, but as it's UK specific, I guess not relevant! :)

There are very few LLU operators here in Ireland, Smart and Magnet spring to mind (maybe BT in limited areas).

Anyway, I'm moving this thread to Broadband, as it has little to do with satellite.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sky in the UK only use unbundled exchanges (can't remember the company they took over), if and where available.

I have read somewhere on Broadcastnow that there have been rumours linking Sky with Tiscali and Talktalk too, but as it's UK specific, I guess not relevant! :)

There are very few LLU operators here in Ireland, Smart and Magnet spring to mind (maybe BT in limited areas).

Anyway, I'm moving this thread to Broadband, as it has little to do with satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Danny_B wrote: »

Who is your boss and how does she know this? Sky previously said they wouldn't roll out broadband here because the LLU costs were to high. With Comreg backing down on their recent announcement that they were to reduce the LLU costs, I can't see how Sky's position has changed.

If they do come here, there won't be much of a price difference to what's currently in the DSL market. If they bundle TV with broadband and phone there might be savings to be made, and if they do indeed use LLU and ADSL2+, there would be speed advantages over eircom.

I'll believe it when I see it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

they should sort out their prices first....sterling is 84p to the euro now.. I am not expecting them to change prices every day to suit the euro rates but for at least the last year they are making a significant premium on the exchange rate. A small reduction even would be welcome.

Pretty much all of their operating costs are in euro so I can't see how a fluctuating currency should affect their prices.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In the UK Sky use LLU ADSL2+ and are one of the cheapest, most competitive and well regarded operators in the UK.

If they bring the same to the Irish market then it will be great.

I expect they would buy their way into the Irish market by perhaps buying Smart or maybe Magnet/BT.

Really Sky have little choice to enter the Irish market, if they don't they might start losing customers to UPC's very attractive triple play packages.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sky won't use satellite for Broadband in Ireland because sat is pointless when it comes to Broadband, its just not real Broadband and is not suitable for VoIP, online gaming etc

Anyone hoping for Sky to roll out the same type of DSL packages in Ireland as they have in the UK (LLU) needs to stop living that dream because the market in Ireland is VERY different to that of the UK, if Sky did launch DSL in Ireland it would likely be resold bit-stream same as TalkTalk, UTV, BT, etc already do.

byte, sky in the UK trade under easynet for there LLU kit as far as I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

If it were me I would edit that last post as this would probably considered commercially sensitive information and having the company named could lead back to you or your source.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sparkfireman

well this really worked out eh?? What happened to sky digital broadband coming ??? haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's never coming, as has been said many times. There's no need to drag up an old thread just to absolutely nothing to the topic.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement