Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating an 02 Contract

• 18-11-2008 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi all,

I started an 02 contract with Iphone in May, although at the moment I'm not satisfied with the service offered and with the I-phone itself

I subscribed for an 18 months contract, I was wondering if there was anyway to terminate it now without paying the remaining amount in advance

Thanks,
    Alex

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

No not really, this is what a contract is for the only way you could exit the contract without paying an early termination fee is to prove breach of contract on o2's behalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

How much is the early termination fee, out of interest? Is it a set amount or is it just the remainder of what you would of paid if you'd stayed on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

humanji wrote: »
    How much is the early termination fee, out of interest? Is it a set amount or is it just the remainder of what you would of paid if you'd stayed on?

its the remainder of your contract

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 AlexBu

Thanks a million folks,

I have 12 months left to pay, I've just spoken again with O2 and the only solution is to sell the I-phone together with my contract, as it's possible to change ownership without paying any fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

AlexBu wrote: »
    Thanks a million folks,

I have 12 months left to pay, I've just spoken again with O2 and the only solution is to sell the I-phone together with my contract, as it's possible to change ownership without paying any fee

good luck with that!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Thanks a million folks,

The new person will then be in a 12 month contract*. Unless it's a mate or family member you'll have a tough time trying to flog that to anyone.

*maybe even 18 months because it's iPhone ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hi all,

I started an 02 contract with Iphone in May, although at the moment I'm not satisfied with the service offered and with the I-phone itself

I subscribed for an 18 months contract, I was wondering if there was anyway to terminate it now without paying the remaining amount in advance

Thanks,
    Alex

Nope, and good luck selling an exisiting contract to someone, why would they buy a contract off you signing themselves into an 18 contract on a 2nd hand phone, what was it you werent happy about?

krudler wrote: »
    Nope, and good luck selling an exisiting contract to someone, why would they buy a contract off you signing themselves into an 18 contract on a 2nd hand phone, what was it you werent happy about?

It would be cheaper to buy my 2nd hand i-phone with 12 months contract rather than buying a new i-phone with 18 months contract, that's it

I know it's hard but I have to leave Ireland in few days, this is the only solution, otherwise O2 asks for the rest of the monthly payments in advance. This is not fair though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It would be cheaper to buy my 2nd hand i-phone with 12 months contract rather than buying a new i-phone with 18 months contract, that's it

I know it's hard but I have to leave Ireland in few days, this is the only solution, otherwise O2 asks for the rest of the monthly payments in advance. This is not fair though
    It's perfectly fair. You signed up for a contract. You agreed to the T&C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Thought you were getting rid of it because you weren't happy with service?

• Advertisement

Random wrote: »
    It's perfectly fair. You signed up for a contract. You agreed to the T&C.

It's fair to pay an early termination fee for that, not to pay all the remaining monthly charges in one, it's unfair as I won't be using them, especially if you consider that altogether they ask you to pay more than the market value of the phone when I bought it

consider this: I've just stopped an annual motor Insurance with Quinn, 7 months left to pay (30 euro per month) but the fee was only 50 euros and I don't have to pay for the last 7 months

O2 is just thievery corporation, that's it

It's fair to pay an early termination fee for that, not to pay all the remaining monthly charges in one, it's unfair as I won't be using them, especially if you consider that altogether they ask you to pay more than the market value of the phone when I bought it

consider this: I've just stopped an annual motor Insurance with Quinn, 7 months left to pay (30 euro per month) but the fee was only 50 euros and I don't have to pay for the last 7 months

O2 is just thievery corporation, that's it

Well then their early termination fee is the cost of the months that are left.

Thought you were getting rid of it because you weren't happy with service?

actually I have a lot to complain about the I-phone itself, but I'm only trying to get rid of it as I'm relocating. I won't regret that phone, that's sure

Well then their early termination fee is the cost of the months that are left.

and it's definitely too much, see my previous example

and it's definitely too much, see my previous example

Shouldn't have signed a contract then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Whats not fair about it? you took out a contract, you're breaking the contract, end of

Shouldn't have signed a contract then.

yeah, I know, I was drunk

seriously, man, do you think I would have signed a contract if I knew I HAD TO RELOCATE after only 6 months? I didn't expect it, that's it. These are ****in times, you're crazy if you try to get a mortgage, you can not be sure of keeping your job, can not plan anything but for the next day, and - most of all - **** happens

krudler wrote: »
    Whats not fair about it? you took out a contract, you're breaking the contract, end of

let's say I prefer Quinn contract :)

let's say I prefer Quinn contract :)

Should have bought you're iPhone off them then

yeah, I know, I was drunk

You drunk now?

• Advertisement

Should have bought you're iPhone off them then