Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eamonn Gardiner for Education

Options
  • 20-11-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

Hey guys as some of you may know the position of ULSU Education Officer is up for election on Friday. Here's one candidate (Eammon Gardiner)'s manisto
    Who am I? Hi, my name is Eamonn Gardiner. I’ve been a student here in UL for the past 5 years. I’ve spent four years here doing my Undergrad in HPSS and I’m currently studying for my M.A. in History.

What qualifies me for the position of Education Officer?
    ?name=ccf32a38c42f1f28.jpg&attid=0.1&disp=vahi&view=att&th=11dadb32d2810f5bExperience: I was a HPSS Class Rep for two years and having sat on Class Reps Council I have good knowledge of its inner workings, both its strengths and areas which need to be improved. I have an Undergraduate Degree HPSS and will soon be awarded a MA which means I have experienced all the levels of education in UL including Co-Op and Erasmus.

Availability: If you elect me, I will be available to take up the position of Education Officer immediately; as the student body faces into exam time, there is not a second to be lost. I have NO prior commitments, NO classes to take, NO exams to sit for the current or forthcoming semesters and can dedicate myself fully to working the realistic 60 hours a week to Fight Fees and Fix the Education System in the University of Limerick for students.

My Policies
    ITD & Exam Results: The failure of the UL system to handle the IT needs of the full student body at peak times is well documented. Every year without fail students experience massive delays in accessing their results online. The University decided to issue results in this manner; they KNEW that 10,000+ students would be logging on at the same time to access their results. Yet why is there still a problem? Why have no alternatives been tried? I WILL ask the hard questions if I get your vote and I WILL press the powers that be for answers and change.

Co-Op: UL has sold itself as the University that gets people Co-operative Work Experience. Unfortunately the Co-op office is no longer able to place all UL students properly in work experience relevant to their course. If I am elected I will work with the Co-op office and the University with a view to ensuring that all students enjoy a Co-op relevant to their course. Student Teachers & Nurses: If I am elected I will work with the Campaigns and Services Officer to press the Departments of Education and Health for a resolution to the issue of a lack of proper compensation for expenses incurred by Student Teachers and Nurses on Practice.

?name=ccf32a38c42f1f28.jpg&attid=0.1&disp=vahi&view=att&th=11dadb32d2810f5bClass Reps: Council this term has enjoyed a period of good attendance. However not all Classes have been allowed to elect their own representatives yet. As Education Officer, one of my first duties on taking office will be to visit these classes and start the ball rolling on their elections. Class Rep training for the second semester will also take priority and will be tailored to suit the problems encountered by Reps.

ECTS Credits: The European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System is the system by which all degrees earned in the European Union are worth the same in the various member states. This system has still not been fully implemented in UL and without it our graduates will not be guaranteed that their hard won degrees will be recognised outside Ireland. I will lobby the University to fully implement this scheme and safeguard our graduates’ futures!

Any questions, just let me know

(posted by barry kennedy, campaign manager for Eamon Gardiner)
    Failed to load the poll.

Advertisement