Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prefix usage (Bargain Alerts Thread)

Options
  • 18-11-2008 2:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think the new prefix's in the Bargain Alerts thread, its a fantastic idea. Personally I think its usage should be mandatory - so you cannot actually post a thread without selecting one. It would make it a lot easier to browse for what you are interested in, and ignore what you are not.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There was a thread about this a few weeks back in feedback (I think) and as far as I remember it was slightly in favour of those who didn't think it was nifty. Myself I find it distracting and that it breaks the flow of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I think small image tags would work much better than full words, IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

There was a thread about this a few weeks back in feedback (I think) and as far as I remember it was slightly in favour of those who didn't think it was nifty. Myself I find it distracting and that it breaks the flow of the page.
    Since when has the Majority ever ruled on Boards?

If it did then it would probably be mandatory to have "Your Ma!" as the second post on every thread....

I find it breaks the flow of the thread having only some prefixes. At least if they all had it, it would be better.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I think small image tags would work much better than full words, IMO.
    Actually that's a very good idea, I've seen it on other boards

Its the least obtrusive imo, and as they're all the same size you dont get the current issue where the different tag lengths break up the continuity.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Image tags are interesting.

It would be too much trouble to have maybe ten or so image tags for Bargain Alerts, but for conformity, what happens when other forums start wanting/needing tags? Is it scalable to create image tags for hundreds of forums that everyone/most people will understand the meaning of?

I don't mean hardware scalable, I mean conceptually scalable :)

How many other forums have prefixes that are used as much as on Bargain Alerts? There can only be a few that they are as useful on...

Zascar wrote: »
    How many other forums have prefixes that are used as much as on Bargain Alerts? There can only be a few that they are as useful on...
    None, Bargain Alerts is experimental, just to see if people would use it.

However, next year, the year after etc who knows how many forums might find a good use for it? It's an alternative to subforums in many cases, essentially.

Cool so can we give this a try then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

that might work in the photography forum for the likes of C&C or look at my work style threads

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Cool so can we give this a try then?
    Give which a try? Do you want to make up images? :)

Or make tags mandatory?

I won't be making the decision myself, just curious.

Sure I can make the images but they will probably look like cack :pac: but maybe someone else is better at graphic design than me and would not mind giving it a go?

But in the meantime is there any harm in making the prefix's mandatory? Also, can we have one for DVD's - case the forum seems to be filled with them and I have no interest in buying DVD's ever....

Making prefixes mandatory is a flick of a checkbox, I don't see the harm in it at all myself, but I'd defer to the moderators of the forum to see what they think. It's uncomfortable changing things like this because someone has to take the flak for it, and I'm kinda tired of taking the flak for things that are out of my control / not my idea.

In fact the plan, as far as I recall, was to actually do that anyway in a couple of weeks after there was a good percentage of people using the tags and used to having the option there.

CuLT: what graphics size would fit there the best, or would you have any opinion? if not I could do a few mockups.

Cool thanks!

I have not put much thought into it myself, but is everony happy with the current options or are there any others we want added/changed etc?

(Hint: "DVD's")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

CuLT wrote: »
    None, Bargain Alerts is experimental, just to see if people would use it.

However, next year, the year after etc who knows how many forums might find a good use for it? It's an alternative to subforums in many cases, essentially.
    It would be useful right now in Shooting for Sale/Wanted if posters had to choose either 'For Sale' or 'Wanted' before they could post anything.
    At the moment, many posters don't put either in their thread title and we (Shooting mods) occasionally go in and do a bit of tidying up to clarify things, but mandatory prefixes would remove this onerous burden. :)

Also, it might encourage the people who post "I'm thinking of getting such-and-such, what do you guys think?" or "I'm looking at this thing, is this a good price?" threads to post them elsewhere. :D

forsale.png

wanted_1.png

quick mock up - can do more advanced ones for DVD etc including a teensy image or something, have a few ideas. any opinions?

edit: another one

dvd.png

comp.png

just a quick example of how they could look in bargain alerts.

example_1.png

Good work! Maybe make them a little bigger, or just less flashy and easier to read...
    Just my 2c!

Advertisement