Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch problem :(

Options
  • 18-11-2008 2:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The clutch pedal in my car is acting a bit strange. During a long drive over the weekend the peddle suddly slipped and was nearer the floor than normal. It didn’t have a much spring as usual either. It got a bit sticky changing gears, and more difficult when going down a gear. I stopped, turned off the engine, pulled the pedal up and all was OK for a while…until it started again.

I brought it to the garage & they said that the break fluid also supplies the clutch and this was low and letting in air. It was topped up but the thing with the clutch was still happening this morning. Anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this?

Cheers,
    Tom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Could be something as simple as a clutch return spring. Had one go on a car a while back. Its just as it sounds i.e a spring on the back of the clutch pedal to make it return to position better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

Would that make it harder to change gear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

From memory it did make the gear changes less fluid. The main thing it messed up was the cruise control which would automatically disengage as the pedal slipped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

WHHAAAAt car is it ?? i really don't understand why people don't bother saying what car they are talking about - it makes a big difference when trying to resolve problems!

Sorry!!!

It an 05 Renault Laguna 1.8 diesel. 33k on the clock, serviced & timing belt changed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

If it is a hydraulic clutch, then it is probably a fault with the master or slave cylinders. If you are mechanically minded, you might want to check the fluid level on the resevoir, and also check for leaks - the slave will usually be located on the right (at the top of the gearbox) if you are looking into the engine. The master will be closer to the bulkhead, probably on the left. Best getting it checked by a mechanic.

Mechanic topped up fluid levels yesterday but still no better. Have called him & he is collecting car tomorrow to fix. Good service from them anyway!

Advertisement