Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any interest in rebel/folk music?

Options
  • 18-11-2008 2:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I am currently working with Palestinian Solidarity Soc (and also possible Ógra Shinn Féin) to bring Gary Óg (formerly Éire Óg) over to Galway for a fund-raising gig sometime in the new year (mid-late Jan). If you haven't heard him check him out www.garyog.com or Youtube him.

Anyway I thought I'd just throw this out there to assess potential interest. The gig would probably be in the College Bar, no news on ticket prices yet (need to look at hire costs for venue and band) but if you could give me an indication of how much you'd be willing to pay that'd be cool.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I might. Saw the Sons of Erin/Derek Warfield in The Quays a few years back and it was mighty craic alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

biko wrote: »
    I might. Saw the Sons of Erin/Derek Warfield in The Quays a few years back and it was mighty craic alright.

Not a big fan of the 'tones really. Good song writers but it often seems they're in it for the money mainly. Everyone has to make a living I guess.

Anyway, here's a short clip of Gary and his band The Exiles (pretty much the same line up as Eire Og) playing in Sweden http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=rAwgPoBWhxg still not sure how many of them I'll be bringing over, probably just Gary, Coach and Sean (guitar/bass guitar/mandolin).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Not a big fan of the 'tones really. Good song writers but it often seems they're in it for the money mainly. Everyone has to make a living I guess..
    As opposed to in it for the revolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

DRakE wrote: »

Pretty much... damn stickies...

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

will this be a Roman Catholic only event?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I am currently working with Palestinian Solidarity Soc...
    ambasite wrote: »

They might allow Muslims in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

DRakE wrote: »
    Or the music?
    ambasite wrote: »
    Why would it be? I'm not even religious. Wolfe Tone himself was Protestant. Take your ignorance elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Why would it be? I'm not even religious. Wolfe Tone himself was Protestant. Take your ignorance elsewhere.
    But the 1798 rebellion got out of the hands of the United Irishmen (moderate protestants) and went ballooba with the Defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

ah hear!! lighten up would ya, ' tis the season and all that... i was only winding you. I'm a massive Provisional IRA fan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

The Exiles are an excellent band. I travel to Glasgow every month or so either on business or to see friends and have often caught them playing in Failte in the city centre.
    I believe when he advertises as Gary Og or the Gary Og band he plays mainly a rebel/republican set but when it's the Exiles they are more of a folk cover band who any fan of The Pogues, Christy Moore, Paul Brady etc. would like.
    I'm sure if the gig is properly advertised i.e not just to student groups, it could do very well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement