Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KrazeeEyezKilla

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    With all due respect, but Jesus, have you any clue how much of a nazi you sound like? Basically you're saying you have to have a certain amount of albums by specific artists to be a fan? Bullsh*t, Some people may have better things to do with their money, the NOW compilations are actually handy to have if you're throwing parties for your better half, or kids parties or something.

Ah but if you have better things to be doing with your money than your not that big a music fan. It's not an insult on their intelligence it just means that music is an occasional interest rather than a passion. If I bought a Wii and played Wii Sports with friends It wouldnt make me a huge games fanatic it would just be a bit of fun which is fine. I played Pitch and Putt a few weeks ago, I enjoyed it but I'm not going to call myself a Golf fan. A Nazi would be suggesting people be banned from buying NOW abums which isn't being suggested, or at least I dont think it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

In fairness , no I don't really get you .

Okay - I don't automatically dislike something because it is in the charts. Nor do I turn against something I used to like because it is now in the charts - Estelle for example.

There are people who like something because it is in the charts - a sheep mentality of "everyone else likes it, so I should too."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Ah but if you have better things to be doing with your money than your not that big a music fan.

You can be a music fan without buying albums, if someone would rather spend their money on a random gig a week than a cd a week, to me, that makes them as much of a music fan. In some cases it actually works out less expensive, especially if it's only a local band playing with a six euro cover charge.

Music is music at the end of the day.

Can't remember the last time I bought a CD *says no more*

gimmick wrote: »
    Can't remember the last time I bought a CD *says no more*

Hold up a second! You're a download leecher who bitches about people who BUY compilation CD's?

The game, pal... you just lost it. You've also just resembled your sig.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

That was UK only i think Alan, not worldwide. It sure as hell wasn't promoted here.
    Had it been, i would have read a music autobiography. :)

Hold up a second! You're a download leecher who bitches about people who BUY compilation CD's?

The game, pal... you just lost it. You've also just resembled your sig.

Not at all. I was using the buying NOW cds as an anology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I do hear ya in that sense, I first started paying attention to the charts in 1986, and to be fair, chart music was a lot more diverse, and by the time 88 came around, you had rap artists, hip hop artists, goth artists, metal, chicago and new york house as well as american boy bands and UK teen heart throbs all in the chart at the same week. It was a good time to be a music fan, especially when all you had was the radio because you for so much exposure to different types of music as a kid/early teenager. Enough to make up your mind on what you liked.

Then manufactured crap hit the mid 90s and changed everything.

I think Stock, Aiken and Waterman seen to it that manufactured crap was around a lot longer than the mid 90's, more like late 80's, but I do agree that type of cr*p has really gotten a strangle hold on the charts in the last 10 years or so.

I also agree about the variety of music in the charts in the 80's, you could literally see anyone from Iron Maiden to the Sisters of Mercy to Tone Loc on Top of the Pops as well as the likes of Rick Astley (Unfortunately)

That was UK only i think Alan, not worldwide. It sure as hell wasn't promoted here.
    Had it been, i would have read a music autobiography. :)

Bill Drummond of KLF fame is behind it all. I don't think he's done much to promote it outside of the UK but the internet is pretty global. the website actually defaults to Spannish. I was hooked on it last year and was spreading the word where I could. Everyone told me to piss off of course . BBC6 radio played no music for the 24 hour period. It's a nice idea actually, sort of makes you question the music you listen to and why and to sort of appreciate it more. Of course , you could just appreciate music by listening to it but then you've lost the point.

• Advertisement

Not at all. I was using the buying NOW cds as an anology.

A chart compilation CD is a chart compilation CD!

I'm gonna quote rovert here but
    "I wanna strangle you right now."

I'm gonna quote rovert here but
    "I wanna strangle you right now."

Thats okay. As I said earlier, I have been in awful form all week, so my mindless anger turns to stupidity from time to time.

D-FENS wrote: »
    I think Stock, Aiken and Waterman seen to it that manufactured crap was around a lot longer than the mid 90's, more like late 80's, but I do agree that type of cr*p has really gotten a strangle hold on the charts in the last 10 years or so.

Yeah from about 86 onwards, that crowd gave us the likes of Kylie, Jason, Rick Ghastly, Big Fun, Sonia to name a few. But you knew what my point was, by the time the mid 90s, it dominated everything. Hell in 1993 Mr f*cking Blobby had a UK number one!
    I also agree about the variety of music in the charts in the 80's, you could literally see anyone from Iron Maiden to the Sisters of Mercy to Tone Loc on Top of the Pops as well as the likes of Rick Astley (Unfortunately)

Hell, i remember LL Cool J in the chart in 1988! And he's still kicking. Surprised he hasn't been gunned down yet, most of Run DMC have been! ;)

Hell, i remember LL Cool J in the chart in 1988! And he's still kicking. Surprised he hasn't been gunned down yet, most of Run DMC have been! ;)

Well, Ladies Loves Cool James, so maybe all the homies think he's alright too ;)

It was only Jam Master Jay killed, was'nt it?

Thats okay. As I said earlier, I have been in awful form all week, so my mindless anger turns to stupidity from time to time.

The cat's out of the bag... oh wait, it's not! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Now now, play nice

Sound :(

Merely jesting my man, it's too easy. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Am I the only one who finds Shawn Raven seems like a much nicer guy now that he has shed his VR! persona?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Am I the only one who finds Shawn Raven seems like a much nicer guy now that he has shed his VR! persona?

haha a controversial face turn

• Advertisement

I think you just might have gotten used to me. I don't think i've changed personally. I'm still an opinionated git, i still don't tolerate muppetry, i still have no problem pulling up someone if i think they're wrong.

I grow on people... like a fungus :D
    At the same time, i'm kinda like the tiger that rests unless he's prodded with the sharp stick ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

I think you just might have gotten used to me. I don't think i've changed personally. I'm still an opinionated git, i still don't tolerate muppetry, i still have no problem pulling up someone if i think they're wrong.

At the same time, i'm kinda like the tiger that rests unless he's prodded with the sharp stick ;)

A lot of this sounds familiar to me for some reason..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

You are a big softy on the inside, ;)

orestes wrote: »
    A lot of this sounds familiar to me for some reason..........

Basically a bit of background, early last year i came back to the forum after a two to three year absence, and nobody knew me. And i basically came in without introduction, like a party crasher of sorts. So a lot of the regulars at the time didn't take too kindly to it. What was it Fozzy refered to it as, "xpac heat".

Apparently i just made posts "just to get a reaction". Looking back i can see where people got that idea from, but i've always been that way. I like to think i call stuff exactly as i see it, regardless of if it matches with popular belief or opinion or not. If you're looking for a yes man, i'm not your guy.

God, i remember nearly getting lifted out of it Undertaker fans when i first started on that guy. Makes me laugh now. :)

EdK wrote: »
    You are a big softy on the inside, ;)

Absolutely, i'm pretty much a softie on the outside too. I never claimed to be captain hard-ass. :) Obviously i'll stand up for myself and for what I believe in, but i generally don't believe i go out of my way to start aggro. If anyone tends to have problems with me I either PM them or ask them to PM me to try and get it sorted out.

Life's too short, let's face it. :)

Edit: Sh*t, that post was all 5's!

Absolutely, i'm pretty much a softie on the outside too. I never claimed to be captain hard-ass. :) Obviously i'll stand up for myself and for what I believe in, but i generally don't believe i go out of my way to start aggro. If anyone tends to have problems with me I either PM them or ask them to PM me to try and get it sorted out.

Life's too short, let's face it. :)

Edit: Sh*t, that post was all 5's!

You sound like an old man with a pipe and a dressing gown by a log fire settling down to a life of marriage and .5 kids :D

You sound like an old man with a pipe and a dressing gown by a log fire settling down to a life of marriage and .5 kids :D

I'm not far off Alan, i'm 32, getting married in 10 months and have a mortgage under my belt. ;)

Is Shawn the eldest on the board? I am in my very very very very late 20s, 18 months into a mortgage. Where did it all go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭Sunset V

I can top that.

22, mortgage, TWO hips surgeries under my belt too... I'm the oldest!

• Advertisement

Is Shawn the eldest on the board? I am in my very very very very late 20s, 18 months into a mortgage. Where did it all go?

I'm 33 in July, married a year, mortage the last two years, a ten year old son and a 5 month old daughter

(Editing because i just realising i'm talking about PW on the off topic thread, sorry)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement