Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Was just looking up internet broadband on 3.co.uk.

they have Mifi coming out its wifi for mobile connestion. That sounds pretty cool.

On the 7.2 speed and i guess that goes for the 14.4 one too
    The 7.2 Mbps speed is a theoretical maximum figure and an industry standard that is not achievable in everyday use. The 3 enhanced network will begin roll out from mid October.

So basically the network coverage has to be updated for the full speed of the modem to be reached. That ties in with BH's comments on the connection in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Recession my ass. We are headed to New York and Washington for a few days in late October. Got very decent flights on E Bookers - €450 return on a multi city. Finding a decent hotel is now the task, they all seem to be very dear in NY. I have never been before so am looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Arrgh now ive no idea what to do!

just got offered a job in Taiwan :) but its not the one I wanted :( I had been hoping for a position in Taipei, which is the capital. However they are only offering a place in Taichung which doesent seem as appealing but still...

just got offered a job in Taiwan :) but its not the one I wanted :( I had been hoping for a position in Taipei, which is the capital. However they are only offering a place in Taichung which doesent seem as appealing but still...

Taiwan! Thats a long way man. What are your instincts telling you?

instincts say take it but atm im just googlin the place where id have to live for atleast a year

• Advertisement

instincts say take it but atm im just googlin the place where id have to live for atleast a year

If you were taking a job in I dunno Cavan, You would have to visit first to see if you wanted to live in Cavan.

You might have to visit Taiwan to find out what its like. What language does Taiwan have?

DM-ICE wrote: »
    If you were taking a job in I dunno Cavan, You would have to visit first to see if you wanted to live in Cavan.

You might have to visit Taiwan to find out what its like. What language does Taiwan have?

they speak mandarin (Chinese) although you can survive without it however I would plan on trying to learn it as well it would be handy to throw on any CV as more people speak that than any other language in the world.

Id be supposed to start early October :eek: so wont exactly be able to visit before then, so ive essentially got a few days to get back to them about if i do/dont want the job.

they speak mandarin (Chinese) although you can survive without it however I would plan on trying to learn it as well it would be handy to throw on any CV as more people speak that than any other language in the world.

Id be supposed to start early October :eek: so wont exactly be able to visit before then, so ive essentially got a few days to get back to them about if i do/dont want the job.

Mandarin, Okay. Have you learned any languages before?

Mandarin, Okay. Have you learned any languages before?

well in secondary school i learned french and german, im not the best at them but itd be a bit different if your emersed in a country and if using words and phrases could make daily life better.

I do have a feeling ill take it but im def going to spend the next few days looking into the area and emailing my contact with a list of questions ive formulated before I possibly say yes officially to him.

well in secondary school i learned french and german, im not the best at them but itd be a bit different if your emersed in a country and if using words and phrases could make daily life better.

I do have a feeling ill take it but im def going to spend the next few days looking into the area and emailing my contact with a list of questions ive formulated before I possibly say yes officially to him.

Best of luck with the decision making.

Mandarin might be okay once your over there. There was a guy on Dragons Den, the web version, it was shown on BBC yesterday. Anyway he was miffed with his city job and decided to go off to china with no knowledge of the language. After 6 months he was flying. Now he is back in the UK and has his own company teaching mandarin in UK scholols.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the decision making.

Mandarin might be okay once your over there. There was a guy on Dragons Den, the web version, it was shown on BBC yesterday. Anyway he was miffed with his city job and decided to go off to china with no knowledge of the language. After 6 months he was flying. Now he is back in the UK and has his own company teaching mandarin in UK scholols.

Jaysus dunno if id be that quick a learner, 6 months and already teaching but yeah i could imagine a demand for such an eterprise afterall there is huge demand for English teachers (what i will be doing if i go) over there for business purposes so tis understandable if people over here would like to learn mandarin what with over a billion mandarin speakers in the world.

I have heard it isnt as hard as people think to learn tho but tis impossible obv when you first get there as there is no relation at all to european languages.

would def be different though, ive already had someone suggest to me that if i get lucky with a local i should get a tatoo saying madeLaid in Taiwan, on it :pac:

Some people are great for coming out with jokes when someone is trying to make up their mind about something. Laid in Taiwan, good thinking.

• Subscribers Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Brolly

Congrats on the job offer BH...I have to say, if it was me, I would take the job. The city is like any other I'm sure...if you get a decent area to live, you'll be fine. Learning Mandarin chinese is a different story! Very tough one to try and learn!

You probably have seen this site already, but I thought I'd post it just in case you didn't...

http://english.tccg.gov.tw/living.php

Brolly wrote: »
    Congrats on the job offer BH...I have to say, if it was me, I would take the job. The city is like any other I'm sure...if you get a decent area to live, you'll be fine. Learning Mandarin chinese is a different story! Very tough one to try and learn!

You probably have seen this site already, but I thought I'd post it just in case you didn't...

http://english.tccg.gov.tw/living.php

thanks.

The only thinng about it being a different city is virtually all my research into living in Taiwan gave me info on Taipei (The Capital) which is a massive city and was where i had hoped to get offered a position. Now im just searching to ensure that similar things are available in Taichung and that it would be as easy to adjust to living there.

Like you say I believe it will be alright as most citys are like each other and have all the same things/amenities but there is a big demand for qualified english teachers is such countries and people keep saying to me not just to take the first offer so im going to make sure I find as much info as possible before i say Yes to the job.

thanks for the site too id say itl be a helpfull one, i had spotted it but as i only got the offer tonight i havent really checked it yet as i spotted another one that is citing a guy who i found a great source of info on Taipei (apparently since he made the site id previously read he has moved to Taichung so should be a good source of info on it too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    Recession my ass. We are headed to New York and Washington for a few days in late October. Got very decent flights on E Bookers - €450 return on a multi city. Finding a decent hotel is now the task, they all seem to be very dear in NY. I have never been before so am looking forward to it.

New York is f*cking savage, probably my favourite city in the world. I usually stay in the New Yorker hotel slap bang in the middle of Manhatten. Usually get a good deal when we go every year in January

Wow, congrats man. I'd take it in a heartbeat, this is one of those opportunities you get once in a lifetime, I think you'd always wonder what you missed out on if you didn't grasp it with both hands. Whats the worst that can happen?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Wow, congrats man. I'd take it in a heartbeat, this is one of those opportunities you get once in a lifetime, I think you'd always wonder what you missed out on if you didn't grasp it with both hands. Whats the worst that can happen?

well that is true although odds are if i dont take this ill got a chance teaching elsewhere like Spain for example. Its strange what with the worldwide recession and everyone needing jobs but people who are qualified to teach English as a foreign language are still in massive demand in certain countries (not Ireland), like china for example (although China is a good bit more strict in many areas and youd end up teaching around 40+ people at once which put me off there).

I've only been processing the offer tonight but it looks like I will say Yes :)

well that is true although odds are if i dont take this ill got a chance teaching elsewhere like Spain for example. Its strange what with the worldwide recession and everyone needing jobs but people who are qualified to teach English as a foreign language are still in massive demand in certain countries (not Ireland), like china for example (although China is a good bit more strict in many areas and youd end up teaching around 40+ people at once which put me off there).

I've only been processing the offer tonight but it looks like I will say Yes :)

Be Gob your some buachaill BH!

flahavaj wrote: »
    Be Gob your some buachaill BH!

thats what my uncle does atm, teaches English in Madrid as did one of my former secondary teachers. He was a mad bastard, actually thought the Atletico Reserves English iirc although that was years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just want to point out I am a Youtube sensation!!!!

I make no apologies to any Kerry people who this offends :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Go Rebels!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

fair play to you BH.

Nothing but admiration for people who can take such a big step. The idea of it petrifies me.

A few things.

1. Anyone see Micheal O Muircheartaigh on the Late Late last night? What an absolute treasure of a man. Unbelievable to think a man of 80 years could be in such fantastic mental and physical condition. I tell ye one thing if we had more men like that in this country we wouldn't be in half the sorry state we're in now. Whenever he decides to hang up the microphone it will be a tragedy for the country. I still put the radio on and mute the TV commentary when I'm not actually at a GAA match, hes a genius.

2. I can't wait to listen to the remastered Beatles albums.

3. I have no idea whos going to win the All Ireland tomorrow. Anyone got air an aul spare ticket!?

4. Nothin like a big dirty fry up served up by the Mammy of a Sahurrday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone get stuck last night? :pac:

CMpunked wrote: »
    Anyone get stuck last night? :pac:

Whatcha mean?

yep. and again this morning. ****in deadly!!!

sorry flahavaj, it was a Derren Brown program. He attempted to make people get stuck in their chairs.

succeeded in my case.

yep. and again this morning. ****in deadly!!!

sorry flahavaj, it was a Derren Brown program. He attempted to make people get stuck in their chairs.

succeeded in my case.

Ah OK, missed that was on train to Waterford.

Ah lads it didn't really work did it!?

I SWEAR it worked on me.

I was very sceptical beforehand, I dont buy into it at all. But I was pushing as hard as i could with my arms trying to force myself out of the seat, just wasnt happening!!

whatever it was that made it happen, muscle relaxation or subliminal messages or whatever, it was a good laugh. great buzz.

I SWEAR it worked on me.

I was very sceptical beforehand, I dont buy into it at all. But I was pushing as hard as i could with my arms trying to force myself out of the seat, just wasnt happening!!

whatever it was that made it happen, muscle relaxation or subliminal messages or whatever, it was a good laugh. great buzz.

For how long?

Not much fun if you were in dire need of a monster sh*te.:pac:

• Advertisement

hahaha i couldnt move for about 3-5 minutes!

it was really weird. felt really heavy.

the guys over in magic and illusion are saying "it was just hypnosis and a simple demo of atrophy"...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement