Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

JP Liz wrote: »
    He was on the ball. LOL at Pat's expression when yer man got thrown out. ****ting grin FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

"I'm now off to sue an old woman about a field" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    Load of crap. The way people are going on, you would swear the only people allowed have an opinion of welfare is those people receiving it. OTT stupid rant by a moron.

You could tell by the head on him he was a complete nutcase.

Say what you like about Pat but his show is rapidly becoming must-see TV.

flahavaj wrote: »
    You could tell by the head on him he was a complete nutcase.

Say what you like about Pat but his show is rapidly becoming must-see TV.

Yes reality tv at its best :D

say what you want about the nutter he had some valid points his delivery of those points might be off the mark though - i see there was no mention whatsoever of it on RTE news, radio or websites yesterday - the nutter was on Today FM yesterday and he stood by his actions and points

I apologises for calling him a nutter his name is Alan O Brien the people's champ :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

What valid points did he make? As far as I can see the only valid point he made was that the TV license should be abolished, and even that he made it in a very roundabout fashion.

The rest was just reactionary bullshít which appeals to the lowest common denominator - say something loud enough and put enough tabloid buzz words in there and you have the audience of the uneducated.

• Advertisement

What valid points did he make? As far as I can see the only valid point he made was that the TV license should be abolished, and even that he made it in a very roundabout fashion.

The rest was just reactionary bullshít which appeals to the lowest common denominator - say something loud enough and put enough tabloid buzz words in there and you have the audience of the uneducated.

Kenny gets paid way way way too much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

He made a very valid point regarding how much Pat Kenny and his "cohort" gets paid. Especially considering how small a market RTE broadcasts to. All the while these rich journalists pretend to speak with the voice of the people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Decent point by the bloke but totally cancelled out by the hysterics.

He made a very valid point regarding how much Pat Kenny and his "cohort" gets paid. Especially considering how small a market RTE broadcasts to. All the while these rich journalists pretend to speak with the voice of the people.

Which goes back to my original point - are only people in a low wage btracket allowed have an opinion on how much welfare should be.

Okay, so Kenny & co may be over paid. Good for them, but lets just make the point here and now that the dole in this country is outrageously high. So who are they to accuse anyone else of being over paid?

Its a bit silly to blame Kenny and have a go at him for his being overpaid. Blame the people who pay him if you like, but its not as if anyone else would turn down that kind of money or anything.

For the record I think he's excellent at what he does and has been fantastic on that new show. Suits him far better than the light entertainment side of the Late Late. Bear in mind that hes one of the few in RTe to be totally transparent about his earnings and not only took a 25% paycut 18 months ago, he took a voluntary 10% a few months later.

And I thought the way he took the abuse was admirable and the roundof applause he got after ye man was excorted out shows he had teh support of most of the audience.

O' Brien is a loose cannon whos obviously not the full shilling, hes well known for appearing at public marches and ranting and raving like a madman. I don't necessarily disagree with some of his sentiments but the message is totally lost when hes totally incapable of keeping his emotions and anger in check.

• Advertisement

Also the irony of him getting more publicity, interest and viewers for Kenny's show than Pat could ever have dreamt of is delicious. He'll DEFINITELY get a pay-rise after this.;)

Which goes back to my original point - are only people in a low wage btracket allowed have an opinion on how much welfare should be.

Okay, so Kenny & co may be over paid. Good for them, but lets just make the point here and now that the dole in this country is outrageously high. So who are they to accuse anyone else of being over paid?
    I never said I agreed with his argument, only that he raised some valid points.

I have no idea what the comparison is between welfare rates across the EU when you take purchasing power into account, but I know I wouldn't want to be paying off a mortgage on 200 squids a week.

In the UK it is £56 a week. It is €204 here to give but one example. The cost of living is not that hugely different between the 2.

In the UK it is £56 a week. It is €204 here to give but one example. The cost of living is not that hugely different between the 2.

The cost of living is quite different, hence everyone going up North to do their Christmas shopping.

Either way, my point stands. I wouldn't like to have a mortgage while only getting €200.

I never said I agreed with his argument, only that he raised some valid points.

I have no idea what the comparison is between welfare rates across the EU when you take purchasing power into account, but I know I wouldn't want to be paying off a mortgage on 200 squids a week.

You wouldn't get a mortgage in the first place if that was your income.

Of course you wouldn't need a mortgage because the state would give you a free one anyway. I'm with gimmick on this one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Of course you wouldn't need a mortgage because the state would give you a free one anyway. I'm with gimmick on this one.

I think the point was what do you do if you have a mortgage and then lose your job. Your income is now only 205 a week.

What does happen anyway Does the government bail you out or what? I think they just help with the interest which might satisfy the bank if they are happy to lower the rest of the payments.

I know you only get the 205 for a year and then its means tested.

The sad thing is the money some can get on welfare means there is little point in them going back to work within the year. They would have to be earning savage money to make it worth the effort. That will only get worse when they hit working people with a child benefit reduction.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I think the point was what do you do if you have a mortgage and then lose your job. Your income is now only 205 a week.

What does happen anyway Does the government bail you out or what? I think they just help with the interest which might satisfy the bank if they are happy to lower the rest of the payments.

I know you only get the 205 for a year and then its means tested.

The sad thing is the money some can get on welfare means there is little point in them going back to work within the year. They would have to be earning savage money to make it worth the effort. That will only get worse when they hit working people with a child benefit reduction.

Repossessions of houses have gone up. The banks say that they can "rearrange" your repayments rather than take your house, but I wouldn't count on their sense of charity extending too far.

You are aware theres a recession, yeah? People losing their jobs left, right and centre. Its been all over the papers like.

You are aware theres a recession, yeah? People losing their jobs left, right and centre. Its been all over the papers like.

Crossed wires.

• Advertisement

I am not sure how we went off on this tangent. My original point on this is that the lunatic felt that Pat Kenny could not talk about cutbacks because he earns alot of money. Thats silly talk.

Re TBs comments - I would hate to have to try and pay my mortgage on €204 week. I would hate it even more if I lived in the UK and had to try and pay it on £56 a week.

Fact is is that our dole in Ireland is too high. Our cost of living is not 4 times higher than that of the UK. In fact our cost of living is probably about 15% higher at most.

I feel sorry for people who are freezing their mortgages. I feel sorry for people that cannot make ends meet at the moment. There but for the grace of God go I afterall. But should the Irish dole be even higher to help people struggling?

I am not sure how we went off on this tangent. My original point on this is that the lunatic felt that Pat Kenny could not talk about cutbacks because he earns alot of money. Thats silly talk.

Re TBs comments - I would havte to have to try and pay my mortgage on €204 week. I would hate it even more if I lived in the UK and had to try and pay it on $56 a week.

Fact is is that our dole in Ireland is too high. Our cost of living is not 4 times higher than that of the UK. In fact our cost of living is probably about 15% higher at most.

I feel sorry for people who are freezing their mortgages. I feel sorry for people that cannot make ends meet at the moment. There but for the grace of God go I afterall. But should the Irish dole be even higher to help people struggling?

No.

Why do I always type "teh" instead of "the"? Really annoying me, but not enough to edit my posts.

Anyone going to the Ireland game tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Anyone going to the Ireland game tomorrow?

Nah, goin to the pub for it. Any predictions? I'm gonna say 2-1 Éire, but I'm not sure is that my head or my heart thats sayin it

1-0 tmr, 0-0 wednesday and off we go. Gonna be a hectic session tomorrow regardless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

*HIC*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

C'MON IRELAND (Especially you Keith Andrews :mad:)

*HIC*

You should put a time here clock in your sig.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

DM-ICE wrote: »
    You should put a time here clock in your sig.

i should but... um i dunno how to, tis 3.12 here now, 30mins till kick off

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement