Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Feel sick to my stomach but very proud of the Irish players for giving it their all. Henry is a knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Imagine how you'd feel if you'd forked out to go over to France to support your team so wonderfully as the Irish did, in these recessionary times to be f8cked over like that.

Disgusted. The soccer forum has melted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hard to disagree with the sentiments here lads, but thread carefully, the usual rules will apply.

I am not going to go on my high horse here. The end has always justified the means in football. We were screwed most certainly, but it has happened before, and will happen again. Doesn't make it right, but thats just the way :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

flahavaj wrote: »
    Imagine how you'd feel if you'd forked out to go over to France to support your team so wonderfully as the Irish did, in these recessionary times to be f8cked over like that.

Disgusted. The soccer forum has melted.

I'd hate that but it's soccer, you'll never know what you expect

The Soccer form has gone into meltdown, around 4/5/6 threads have been closed. Feel really sad for the mods on in the Soccer forum, I'm sure Xavi6 or some other mod said it was like babysitting 2 year olds

• Registered Users Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There have been some OTT comments on the soccer board in fairness.

Such a shame that things didn't go our way. Reminds me of the 2002 World Cup loss to Spain except this one perhaps hurts more because there's a feeling of injustice about it. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

What kind of sport rewards such blatant cheating?

Virtually every sport, albeit some more than others.

The team was unbelievable. Very sad the way it ended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Well done Ireland pity we lost though :(

Is Traps gone now?

Virtually every sport, albeit some more than others.

The team was unbelievable. Very sad the way it ended.

Soccer just gets more rotten and corrupt by the day.

Doyle as much as said in his interview "fair play to him for getting away with it."

Cheating is endemic, theres literally a case of blatant diving in every match you watch or someone feigning injury when they're quite obviously not injured.

FIFA the organisation who run the sport are rotten to the core and constantly move the goalpost with regards qualification for major tournaments to suit their own financial means.

I gets harder and harder by the week to have faith in the game when stuff like tonight can happen, without abything ever changing.

What has to happen before they bring in video technology.

They've introduced agreat systen in Germany where the ref directly asks the player did he dive/chest. If hes found later to have lied he gest a 6 match ban. Its obviously got some flaws that would need ironing out but that would be a start anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

JP Liz wrote: »
    Well done Ireland pity we lost though :(

Is Traps gone now?
    Why would they get rid of Trap after Ireland put on their best performance in half a decade? Everyone in that team, including Trap, should be proud of that performance. France had to cheat to draw the match, ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I askeed the taxi driver earlier to bring us to the garda station to report a robbery, he didnt think i was funny. rotten ****. ****in desgraceful earlier. henry is supposede to be an ambassador to the sport aNd thats the carry on out of him. ****in scumbag, go back to your va va voom ads ya wanker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

In the UCD student bar, atmosphere was ****ing immense, Terry Henry's cheating was more ummense. He's a ****ing ****. Destroyed my night and my summer. Even scoring some bird I was ****ing obsessed with wasn't enough. **** him. Lesner should F5 that wanker ASAP

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Bubs101 wrote: »
    In the UCD student bar, atmosphere was ****ing immense, Terry Henry's cheating was more ummense. He's a ****ing ****. Destroyed my night and my summer. Even scoring some bird I was ****ing obsessed with wasn't enough. **** him. Lesner should F5 that wanker ASAP
    :pac:

Areas in Cork being closed off due to the flooding. Never seen the likes of this. Glad I live on top of a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

The rain is mad.

Diary of Le Cheat:

After the fuss of last night, I am looking for a quiet day today. Michel Platini is coming over for a celebratory lunch, and I must stock up on provisions. I get in the car and reverse out of the drive.

CLUNK.

Zut! I have hit something. I get out to investigate. I see my next-door neighbour running towards me; instinct takes over. I hurl myself to the ground and start crying.

"Oh my God, oh my God...Tiddles! Tiddles!," shouts the woman. "You've run over my cat, you b***ard."

I walk round the back of the car. I shrug, in that charming and insouciant way that I have. Sure enough, there is a little cat there. He is as flat as Arsenal's play after my departure.

"Maybe I did run over your cat," I say. "But I am not a traffic light."

The woman is crying now. I put my finger to my lips, then shake it in her face, as if to say "no, no, no" - for I do not see why I should take responsibility for what I have done, just because I have done it.

Is it my fault that the cat is made of soft tissue and blood, rather than, for instance, reinforced steel or concrete? Of course not.

I did what anyone would do: I pressed my foot on the accelerator - this causes more oxygen to flow through the carburettor, and makes the car move. The cat did not see me, the cat bounced off my bumper and I drove on. I am not an RSPCA inspector.

Was it deliberate? It is not for me to say if something I have done is deliberate. I am reversing a car out of my drive, not an adult human being with free will.

I am considering apologising to the neighbour when Michel Platini pulls up in his Renault Clio.

"Nicole!" he shouts.

"Papa!" I say, which is a little joke we have and for which we get 150,000 Euros each per month for making occasionally on TV and whatnot. It is a short career and you never know when Gillette might get tired of you.

"This man just ran over my cat," says the neighbour.

"Have you got it on video?" asks Michel.

"Of course I haven't got it on video - are you mental?" says the woman.

"Never happened then, did it?" says Platini.

Just for safety's sake, he gets back in his car and reverses over the corpse of the cat.

"Thank God she doesn't have a video," he laughs. "Her cat is gone, and we are still here - and that's better for everyone worldwide. Vive La France!"

gimmick wrote: »
    Areas in Cork being closed off due to the flooding. Never seen the likes of this. Glad I live on top of a hill.

Just went on the Cork City forum there, the Western road and Collage road is like a swimming pool, City Centre is flooded in parts and the river by the Gate cinema looks more like white water rapids.

96563.JPG

^^^ The view onto the Western Road from Jury's

0002c4f6-380.jpg

^^^ Western road

It's unbelievable, the sun's out shining for the 1st time in ages and the place is under water:confused::confused:

City Centre is flooded in parts and the river by the Gate cinema looks more like white water rapids.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

just saw my french flatmate for the first time since the match, it made me laugh when he said he had been afraid to talk to me since it happened but hes an ok guy and tbh said he was kinda ashamed of how it went down wednesday night.

Apparantly Castlewhite and Jennings Pool are completely ****ed altogether. Have you been up by the lough? I'd say the swans dont know what to do with themselves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

NO REPLAY :( France going to World Cup

Cork and Cork County savaged by floods - UCC lectures stopped until 30th November

• Advertisement

JP Liz wrote: »
    NO REPLAY :( France going to World Cup

Cork and Cork County savaged by floods - UCC lectures stopped until 30th November

Is that true about the lectures or is it just a rumour that spiralled out of control?

Class act. Fair play Thierry. Aside from turning back time, what else can the man do?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,071 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To think a few years ago I could have gone to war to fight for Roy Keane..:(
    A bitter llittle man...

Roy Keane has lambasted the Republic of Ireland's attempts to get their controversial World Cup play-off match against France replayed.

The Republic appealed to Fifa after their 2-1 aggregate defeat by France on the basis that the winning goal came after a blatant Thierry Henry handball.

But Ipswich boss Keane said: "They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup - get over it.

"France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story."

The Irishman, who made 65 appearances for the Republic as a player, continued: "If I'd been there in the dressing room after the game, I wouldn't be talking about the handball. I'd focus on why the defenders didn't clear it. They should've cleared it.

"I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?

"These are skills and lessons you learn as a schoolboy.

"Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

606: DEBATE
    Is Roy Keane right?
    "They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI (Football Association of Ireland) reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game...' It's rubbish."

And Keane pointed out that controversial decisions went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to clinch a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.

"I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan in 2002 when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

Despite the efforts of the media, Keane and manager Mick McCarthy failed to resolve the conflict and Keane missed the World Cup.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Is that true about the lectures or is it just a rumour that spiralled out of control?

UCC closed all next week - http://www.ucc.ie/en/flood/

^ Jammy feckers

Keane can go take a running jump as far ask I'm concerned, he's a useless manager who has a mouth and nothing else. He made a show of himself at Sunderland as manager, couldn't care less for him.

Henry is making a joke of himself to be honest. There's no sense to it, he just hasnt a clue. His celebrations after ****ting all over his reputation sealed the deal for me, the man is a scumbag and a coward, **** him

Had he celebrated like that at the final whistle I might agree with you Ger. He apologised to Dunne at the final whistle. He did not celebrate at the end. Time to move on.

Had he celebrated like that at the final whistle I might agree with you Ger. He apologised to Dunne at the final whistle. He did not celebrate at the end. Time to move on.

My last post on this:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12098_5706981,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Class act. Fair play Thierry. Aside from turning back time, what else can the man do?
    He knew well that there would be no way FIFA would order a replay

• Advertisement

Yeah, once he had committed the crime. Bit late then. He could have went the Robbie Fowler route of being honest and told the ref, he just comes across as such a coward in all these statements.

If we had qualified, how much would the F.A.I have gained from it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement