Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

flahavaj wrote: »
    It legit wouldn't surprise me though if he had been told to amp up the stalling etc in the run up to the GSP fight.

It would really surprise me. I think Dana has it up to here with Silva and his manager Ed Soares. They have caused him alot of headaches (ducking Henderson and Marquart in re-matches, wanting to go into boxing, his last 3 title fights being jokes).

I could be completely wrong but I don't think we'll be seeing Silva/GSP any time soon. There's mega money short term but long term, potentially it's more costly.

Chael Sonnen deserves his shot anyway. That guy can wrestle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

It would really surprise me. I think Dana has it up to here with Silva and his manager Ed Soares. They have caused him alot of headaches (ducking Henderson and Marquart in re-matches, wanting to go into boxing, his last 3 title fights being jokes).

I could be completely wrong but I don't think we'll be seeing Silva/GSP any time soon. There's mega money short term but long term, potentially it's more costly.

Chael Sonnen deserves his shot anyway. That guy can wrestle.

TBH I don't know half enough about MMA to be making these bauld statements. Would be unreal if my bullsh*t theory was true though.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Not the best show as debut shows go in a new market.

I'm thorn in that he is a phenomenal bad guy character and would do huge business with GSP. On the flip side, I don't think it's worth the risk for the UFC to do it and this is not the first time Silva has done something like this and the public will only tolerate it for so long before they keep their money in their pocket.

Dana probably isn't too pleased with how BJ Penn looked either.

The way I see it is that the only person that could step up and beat Silva is GSP. What else can they do with Silva in fairness? Who wants to see him and Chael after this fight? Using wrestling thinking, it built the GSP fight great, but buried any other fight. GSP will go after Silva, and unlike Forest, has the skill to cause serious trouble. Shur even when Maia actually made a right go at Silva tonight he tagged him, but then went for the takedown and that was that.

I realise that long term it could be a disaster. But looking at it like that, they're kinda protecting GSP. Thats not fair either. Silva was a joke tonight from a pure-mma standpoint, but he did win in the end. He isnt going to push the action, that seems to be up to his opponent. If they're not good enough to do that, what can ya do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I'd say Belfort would've had a good chance against Silva, especially if Anderson wants to clown around like he's been doing recently. Hope that fight happens eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Just heard this song after a loooonnnng time of forgetting it

*goes off and sings*

iv that on my ipod.

love that tune

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Gerard.C wrote: »
    The way I see it is that the only person that could step up and beat Silva is GSP. What else can they do with Silva in fairness? Who wants to see him and Chael after this fight? Using wrestling thinking, it built the GSP fight great, but buried any other fight. GSP will go after Silva, and unlike Forest, has the skill to cause serious trouble. Shur even when Maia actually made a right go at Silva tonight he tagged him, but then went for the takedown and that was that.

I realise that long term it could be a disaster. But looking at it like that, they're kinda protecting GSP. Thats not fair either. Silva was a joke tonight from a pure-mma standpoint, but he did win in the end. He isnt going to push the action, that seems to be up to his opponent. If they're not good enough to do that, what can ya do.

They would not be protecting GSP. They would be protecting their company. It would do huge business but it would do GSP no favours if he lost.

Dana said in the press conference "I don't want to see that fight. People don't want to see that ****". If it was my company I would not book the fight.

I'm all for great heels in MMA. But if you've been doing it for the last 2 years with 3 of your last 4 fights taking the piss and not finishing, eventually fans keep their hands in their pocket.

What would I do? Find the best pure wrestler I had and put it second from the top with a big marquee fight so it wouldn't have to carry the card. And hope that Silva looses. And Chael knows how to promote a fight. Here's what he said an hour after Silva fought.

Sonnen on Silva: "He's getting beaten up in 2010 by Chael Sonnen. That's been the story from the jump.

"There's people out there that need (to be) beaten up – he's one of them. And I have a moral obligation to society to beat him up."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Voltwad wrote: »

A vintage Voltwad link tbh:pac:

I actually got sick a bit in my mouth, uber disturbing is what that is. Blue waffle hasn't a patch on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

what is meant to be disgusting about that? Is it not just a regular hostel style horror. Psychological torture, surgical instruments etc?

Looking to pick up SVR 2010 on the cheap. Where's the cheapest/most reliable online that you guys know of?

what is meant to be disgusting about that? Is it not just a regular hostel style horror. Psychological torture, surgical instruments etc?

Is it not a p*sstake?

Is it not a p*sstake?
    Nope :(

HAS to be p*sstake.

"Joined moth to anus.":pac:

HAS to be p*sstake.

"Joined moth to anus.":pac:
    Awards and everything it's won at various film festivals =/

Awards and everything it's won at various film festivals =/

Ah yeah, its just so bizarre I just can't imagine seeing in showing at the cimema.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Just did a little questionnairre on alcoholism. Not that i worry about myslef, but just to see how I might be viewed. Questions are as follows

Is drinking making your home life unhappy? No
    Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare? No
    Do you drink because you are shy with other people? No
    Is drinking affecting your reputation? No
    Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble? Kinda
    Do you drink alone? Yes
    Have you lost time from work due to drinking? No
    Has your ambition decreased since drinking? No
    Has your efficiency decreased since drinking? No
    Is drinking jeopardising your job or business? No
    Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? Everyone does something stupid occasionally, so kinda
    Are you in financial difficulties as a result of drinking? No
    Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking? I do not understand this one, so No
    Do you crave a drink at a definite time daily? No
    Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping? Kinda
    Do you want a drink the next morning? No
    Do you drink to build up your self-confidence? No
    Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? I have memory loss of portions, but never complete, so again, Kinda
    Has your doctor ever treated you for drinking? No
    Have you ever been in hospital or prison because of drinking? No

On the basis of my answers, I am an alcoholic!

If you answer yes to 1 question, it is a warning sign. If you answer yes to 2 questions, you are showing signs of alcoholism, and 3 or more and you are a definitie alcoholic.

Persoanlly I think that is a load of nonsense. I think drinking alone is one of my guilty pleasures. Love getting hammered on my own at home occassionally. I think most drinkers like a drink if they are worried about something, just to relax them. As for the sleeping thisng, if I have 2 cans it does affect me a bit.

Thoughts? Any (genuine*) recovering alcoholics out there or people who have been close to the problem?

* By alcoholic I do not mean it in the 1st years arts student who wets himself for a laugh on a thursday night.

gimmick wrote: »
    Just did a little questionnairre on alcoholism. Not that i worry about myslef, but just to see how I might be viewed. Questions are as follows

Do you drink alone? Yes
    Have you ever felt remorse after drinking? Everyone does something stupid occasionally, so kinda
    Do you turn to or seek an inferior environment when drinking? I do not understand this one, so No
    Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking? I have memory loss of portions, but never complete, so again, Kinda

If you answer yes to 1 question, it is a warning sign. If you answer yes to 2 questions, you are showing signs of alcoholism, and 3 or more and you are a definitie alcoholic.

Persoanlly I think that is a load of nonsense. I think drinking alone is one of my guilty pleasures. Love getting hammered on my own at home occassionally. I think most drinkers like a drink if they are worried about something, just to relax them. As for the sleeping thisng, if I have 2 cans it does affect me a bit.

Thoughts? Any (genuine*) recovering alcoholics out there or people who have been close to the problem?

* By alcoholic I do not mean it in the 1st years arts student who wets himself for a laugh on a thursday night.

The remorse and memory loss ones are a given in all honesty

• Advertisement

Do you drink alone? Yes

I always answer yes to way too many questions on these questionaires.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Do you drink alone? Yes

Its a stupid questionaire. The questions should be weighted in terms of importance. Drinking because you feel shy isn't in the same league as having to go to hospital or prison because of driking.

The correct answer to all the questions is "I'm Irish"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Today marks the 21st anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster in which 96 Liverpool fans lost their lives.

A post from DazMarz taken from the thread about it in soccer:
    Liverpool fan or not, this is an event that was truly a case of "There but for the grace of God go I", and all football fans should always be respectful and sympathetic to this tragic event.

This tragedy could have happened to any group of supporters, from any club. It was a heartbreaking event for those who were there and for those who were left behind following the tragic deaths of the 96.

These 96 were not (as a certain rag newspaper would have you believe) hooligans, nor were they thugs; they were like any one of us. They were football fans who were going to a game to support their team. They were 96 innocent people who went out for the day to enjoy a game of football and horrifically and tragically never came back.

R.I.P.

It doesn't matter what club you support today, please keep their families in your thoughts and prayers tonight :)

finalfinal96logo.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

thekingr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Just skipped off college to play a game of par 3 golf in Glen-Mill.

Beautiful sunny day, its a good day to be alive men, a good day.

AWWEEEESSSSSOOOOMMMMMEEEE!!! 3,000 posts:D:):)

(I need to get out more)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

congrats man (id say ive read most of them), id def say if you are to stay using boards for a good long lenght of time you will pass folk out like myself who (im still shocked when i notice this) has been posting here since 2001. Yet you arent a post whore like some of those you see get obscene amounts of posts quickly on soccer for example

congrats man (id say ive read most of them), id def say if you are to stay using boards for a good long lenght of time you will pass folk out like myself who (im still shocked when i notice this) has been posting here since 2001. Yet you arent a post whore like some of those you see get obscene amounts of posts quickly on soccer for example

I'd honestly say over 2,700 posts are here in PW. The joys of being unemployed:pac::pac: You can be sure I'll still be using boards and writing these (You knew it was coming)

*Bang bang*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

That Miz Icon on the titan tron is pretty cool. I never noticed it before.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement