Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

One first, then the other...... :)

You may be right RRC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The product is getting old now and even I see myself browsing the forum for 5 minutes when I used to stay on for about 40.

If WM25 sucks I'm telling wrestling in general to **** off :(

There is a lot more to wrestling than WWE. If there wasn't I would have given up years ago.

Not really. I don't watch ROH because who wants to see 5 matches in a row end with a lariat finish, Japan is ****, TNA is just the definition of sh1t tv and I couldn't be arsed to download Mexican wrestling.

All in all WWE is the only wrestling that I even slightly enjoy.

Then you are a WWE fan and not a wrestling fan.

And in saying that, I don't want to sound like i am putting you down, its just how I view it. same as someone who, say, only is a Premiership fan. He is not a football fan, but a Premiership fan.

But I assume some will call me a nazi for that as well:)

• Advertisement

No problem. I am now also a closet WWE fan because I feel like there is no point in openly admitting that I enjoy something that I know will let me down so much by sheer retardedness.

I won't call you a Nazi but I will compare you to that Austrian guy "FRITZ" :D:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,567 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No problem. I am now also a closet WWE fan because I feel like there is no point in openly admitting that I enjoy something that I know will let me down so much by sheer retardedness.

I won't call you a Nazi but I will compare you to that Austrian guy "FRITZ" :D:D :pac:

OMFG

Anyone heard The Prodigys new album yet? Its excellent. Kinda of a mixture between The Experience and Gilted Generation. The beats are super heavy and some outstnding breaks. Big recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

gimmick wrote: »
    This forum is after dying a death recently. Whats the story?

IMO its because of the lack of contribution from 2 of the most regular and knowledgable posters.Shawnraven and Rovert.

Rovert doesnt post at all (that Ive seen) and SR! seems to post very infrequently.People might have not always agreed with either but few could argue that the board was a much more interesting place when they were both very active.
    Of course there are likely other factors too but this is the most glaring,to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

nedtheshed wrote: »
    IMO its because of the lack of contribution from 2 of the most regular and knowledgable posters.Shawnraven and Rovert.

Rovert doesnt post at all (that Ive seen) and SR! seems to post very infrequently.People might have not always agreed with either but few could argue that the board was a much more interesting place when they were both very active.
    Of course there are likely other factors too but this is the most glaring,to me anyway.

+1 Rovert hasnt posted here in an age. Very Quiet as a result imo... he does be posting in the MMA forum mayb wrestling is dead to him!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

But in good news, Faith No More are reforming (sans Jim Martin) for a european tour this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

big syke wrote: »
    +1 Rovert hasnt posted here in an age. Very Quiet as a result imo... he does be posting in the MMA forum mayb wrestling is dead to him!

I still catch him occasionally on the Rock & Metal forum too, fact of the matter was, and i mean this in no disrespect to the current moderating team, but when they first came in, they were very ban happy, some justified, others not so justified (depending on your point of view). One can only be banned for silly reasons, or delayed reasons too many times before they tire of it and no longer bother, in some respects thats what happened to myself, and i also believe rovert may have fallen into that category.

Hell, i'll even admit that i purposely got myself banned the last couple of times just to prove a point, that if a forum bans their regular posters for stupid reasons, the forum will go to sh*t. Myself and rovert were banned around the same space of time and that's exactly what happened. That's not me blowing my own trumpet, the facts spoke (and still do speak) for themselves.

That said, the current product is a bore to watch, I don't even watch regular TV anymore, but i still keep up via the PPVs just so that i'm not totally out of the loop. :)

If you don't hear from me after this post, then i've probably been banned for a period of 3-6 months for "a disrespectful post" or something equally as daft (thanks Vince!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

This is not what this thread is for. If you wish to discuss the modding of this forum start a feedback or helpdesk thread. Cheers

This thread is for miscellaneous chat i thought, but so far, we are not allowed allude to anything wrestling no matter how small (rather than starting its own thread), not allowed ask techy questions as KKV (i think it was) tried earlier, and now not allowed talk about why certain posters left the forum. Should we just link everything to another forum, as lets be honest, pretty much everything is covered by some forum on boards.ie.

gimmick wrote: »
    This thread is for miscellaneous chat i thought, but so far, we are not allowed allude to anything wrestling no matter how small (rather than starting its own thread), not allowed ask techy questions as KKV (i think it was) tried earlier, and now not allowed talk about why certain posters left the forum. Should we just link everything to another forum, as lets be honest, pretty much everything is covered by some forum on boards.ie.

If you want to discuss why people have left the forum, that's no problem, but if you want to discuss and debate the moderation of this forum this thread is not the place to do it.

This thread is titled Off-Topic Banter, which in a wrestling forum means no wrestling talk, that was the point of the thread when users asked for it to be created. I don't think I ever told people what they couldn't post here, I told a user they would get a better answer to a question in the relevent forum for their question. Another reason I don't want people asking all sorts of tech questions and the likes in this thread is because I simply know nothing about the subject matter and we would be unable to moderate the disussion properly in case people started giving bullshit advice or anything like that, which means it would be impossible for the mods to perform their function.

If you have issue with any of this, start a feedback or helpdesk thread, this thread is not the place to debate these matters any further.

orestes wrote: »
    If you want to discuss why people have left the forum, that's no problem, but if you want to discuss and debate the moderation of this forum this thread is not the place to do it.

Just to clear something up here. My post wasn't intended to stir it, or to debate the moderation (for what it's worth, personally i think it's gotten a lot better since the total heavy handed approach has been toned down, make of that what you will). It was merely to explain, from the point of view of someone who once posted here 100 times in 24 hours (Survivor Series night i think), to going to about zero posts in about three months. That was all.

It was on topic, and it was merely for comparison, and nothing else.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Just to clear something up here. My post wasn't intended to stir it, or to debate the moderation (for what it's worth, personally i think it's gotten a lot better since the total heavy handed approach has been toned down, make of that what you will). It was merely to explain, from the point of view of someone who once posted here 100 times in 24 hours (Survivor Series night i think), to going to about zero posts in about three months. That was all.

It was on topic, and it was merely for comparison, and nothing else.

Fair enough :)

Anyway, back off-topic (now there's a sentence I'm not used to saying), you ever hear of a band called Idlewild by any chance?

Fair enough :)

Anyway, back off-topic (now there's a sentence I'm not used to saying), you ever hear of a band called Idlewild by any chance?

Hah have I f*ck? Been listening to them a lot in the last three years, Hope Is Important and 100 Broken Windows get constantly played.

Why?

Hah have I f*ck? Been listening to them a lot in the last three years, Hope Is Important and 100 Broken Windows get constantly played.

Why?

Hahaha, just saw a few of your posts in the music forums and thought they were a band you might be into if you hadn't already heard of them, thought I'd ask since not a lot of people here seem to know them.

Aye, both class albums, When I Argue was the song that got me into them, heard that song in a mates house and went out the next day and bought those and Captain all in one go :D

I tend to put The Remote Part away for a couple of months at a time and then listen to it non-stop for about a week, great cd.

Hahaha, just saw a few of your posts in the music forums and thought they were a band you might be into if you hadn't already heard of them, thought I'd ask since not a lot of people here seem to know them.

I had planned to pre-order their upcoming one, but funds ran dry so I had to give it a miss, will definitely go when they promote the album though, they're always coming over.
    I tend to put The Remote Part away for a couple of months at a time and then listen to it non-stop for about a week, great cd.

Yeah, I love Tell Me Ten Words, I Am What I Am Not and Live In A Hiding Place, the last one i tend to break out the bass and play along. Awesome bassline :D

• Advertisement

I had planned to pre-order their upcoming one, but funds ran dry so I had to give it a miss, will definitely go when they promote the album though, they're always coming over.

Yeah, I love Tell Me Ten Words, I Am What I Am Not and Live In A Hiding Place, the last one i tend to break out the bass and play along. Awesome bassline :D

Yeah they'll definitely be over to do a gig for it, their gigs here always sell out, and deservedly fecking so, great live band

Yeah, Modern Way of Letting Go is fantastic, just love the intro to that song

Yeah they'll definitely be over to do a gig for it, their gigs here always sell out, and deservedly fecking so, great live band

Never saw them, missed them when they were over last year (i think it was, maybe it was the end of 2007).
    Yeah, Modern Way of Letting Go is fantastic, just love the intro to that song

I've a funny feeling I used one of their tunes as a podcast intro or outro last year. If i didn't, I was fairly close. I know i'd done one or two clips of songs, and then Minto had different ideas and i went with his one because I usually did most of the intro's and outro's, so i didn't mind whenever he'd ask for the occasional tune.

Never saw them, missed them when they were over last year (i think it was, maybe it was the end of 2007).

I've a funny feeling I used one of their tunes as a podcast intro or outro last year. If i didn't, I was fairly close. I know i'd done one or two clips of songs, and then Minto had different ideas and i went with his one because I usually did most of the intro's and outro's, so i didn't mind whenever he'd ask for the occasional tune.

Definitely check them out next time they're over, I've seen them a few times and they've been excellent every single time

Cool. I've never listened to the podcasts (I think they were while I was still a lurker here and too afraid to post actually :P) it's a shame they're not going anymore though, sounds like they were really good for the forum from what I've seen here

Definitely check them out next time they're over, I've seen them a few times and they've been excellent every single time

I definitely plan to
    Cool. I've never listened to the podcasts (I think they were while I was still a lurker here and too afraid to post actually :P) it's a shame they're not going anymore though, sounds like they were really good for the forum from what I've seen here

Heh, they were a lot of fun to do for both of us, but it became problematic towards the end (and for all intents and purposes, the beginning too), I'd ****ed myself up pretty bad when we started them, to the point where i wasn't really all that interested in doing it at all, so we laid it off for a few months, then at the end, Minto was swamped with college work so getting us both online at the same time to dedicate an hour or so was almost impossible.

Adding to that, the fact that neither of us were interested in either promotion anymore, and people were getting bored of us putting down the product every couple of weeks because we had nothing constructive or positive to say at the time (and to their credit, nobody wants to listen to constant bitching every couple of weeks for an hour a session), we packed it in.

But the few we did in the middle (we did about 10 or 12 of them between 2007 and 2008) were f*ckloads of fun, especially the SVR game (which I won! :P) where the loser got banned from PW, thanks again to Fozzy for the help with that one. That was definitely one of the most memorable podcasts, when I wasn't appauling people with my comments about Bret, Owen and Eddie, and wait for it... CRIPPLETAKER! :D

I definitely plan to

Heh, they were a lot of fun to do for both of us, but it became problematic towards the end (and for all intents and purposes, the beginning too), I'd ****ed myself up pretty bad when we started them, to the point where i wasn't really all that interested in doing it at all, so we laid it off for a few months, then at the end, Minto was swamped with college work so getting us both online at the same time to dedicate an hour or so was almost impossible.

Adding to that, the fact that neither of us were interested in either promotion anymore, and people were getting bored of us putting down the product every couple of weeks because we had nothing constructive or positive to say at the time (and to their credit, nobody wants to listen to constant bitching every couple of weeks for an hour a session), we packed it in.

But the few we did in the middle (we did about 10 or 12 of them between 2007 and 2008) were f*ckloads of fun, especially the SVR game (which I won! :P) where the loser got banned from PW, thanks again to Fozzy for the help with that one. That was definitely one of the most memorable podcasts, when I wasn't appauling people with my comments about Bret, Owen and Eddie, and wait for it... CRIPPLETAKER! :D

Sounds interesting man, I reckon we should get them back off the ground!

Interesting idea, how about a pw forum and nocturnal forum podcast crossover, both have done their own podasts and there is a lot of crossover between the two forums, and I reckon I could sort the whole thing out. You up for it? We could throw in an inter-forum beers actually for the meet-up, hmmmmmm

Sounds interesting man, I reckon we should get them back off the ground!

Interesting idea, how about a pw forum and nocturnal forum podcast crossover, both have done their own podasts and there is a lot of crossover between the two forums, and I reckon I could sort the whole thing out. You up for it? We could throw in an inter-forum beers actually for the meet-up, hmmmmmm

Who'd present them though, i'd give it another shot if there's another angle going (crossover with noct), because i think interest was somewhat dwindling prior to us stopping the last one. I also don't think Minto has any interest in wrestling anymore period. I catch him occasionally on MSN.

Weird as it would be to do a podcast without the guy, i'm always up for something different. We could do a pre-wrestlemania one, or a series of them looking back on 25 years of them, highlights, lowlights amongst other things.

One thing that did piss me off about the last podcast thread, was when it was deleted i think it impacted about -350 to my postcount ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I for one would like to see a return of any sort of PW based podcast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Shameless BUMP! :D

hey

• Advertisement

I for one would like to see a return of any sort of PW based podcast :)

Ask and you shall receive, and now, something i thought i'd never say, and i know i'm part of the cause of this, so i'll include myself in this.

Back off topic folks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement