Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I really should be shot for the amount of times I plug things:pac::pac:

Cool. Should have a few more members soon so it will hopefully be a nice little league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Why does Woody look like he saw a ghost in that???:pac::pac:

I can't wait for Toy Story 3(D) to come out
    He's aware of the dangers of being in the presence of a BWO member. He's not so tough when Buzz isn't around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Voltwad wrote: »
    He's aware of the dangers of being in the presence of a BWO member. He's not so tough when Buzz isn't around.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Nice plug for the "elite group" of boards:cool::cool::cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Ya fairly sure I'll do it next year. I dont have a CELTA, but hopefully I'll have my degree by then and most places only seem to require a western degree. I was lookings at Daves earlier on, the opportunities are unreal. Tell me, is there much hassle with the whole language barrier in taiwan?

edit - and whats the weather like?

compared to the standard of living cost your right the opportunitys really are unreal. As far as the Celta thing goes, I got mine by doing a 4 week course in dublin and left for Taiwan within a forthnight of its completion. It allowed me get a job I wanted as I was given preference over other applicants. Yes you can get a job handy enough with just the degree but often those ones may have hidden drawbacks i.e you could have really big classes or be expect to work a hell of a lot of hours and such things are often not mentioned in the Ads.

The Language barrier is an interesting one and would be similar in Taiwan as in most countries around here. I still speak relatively no chinese and live really well with virtually no drawbacks as a result of my lack of proprer chinese. If however you take a job in a rural area (unlike me in Taipei) you really should start learning Chinese immediatley imo.

I highly reccomend Taiwan for the reasons i will state but obviously take it with a pinch of salt as I have not taught anywhere else yet (minus England and Ireland, subbing unqualified at the time) however many of my friends have.

I have a good amount of hours but not too much that I am exhausted from work. I have no classes in size over 12 students at the moment and the largest ive had was 14. Every class over 3 students in size you will have a TA/Chinese teacher in it with you and as far as my experience goes they are all female and around 21 and good friends of mine now who all have great English. We get payed very well but also we were on a guarantee system for the first 6months here, which meant even if we worked under the required amount of hours you still get payed a set pay which you can live very well on, then after the 6 months you will either come off the guarantee and get a big bumper pay day if you are working extra hours or stay on it despite that meaning you are getting payed more than you work. I have mostly young classes of around 8, 9year olds per class and have 2 or 3 proivates atm: a 28 yr old Tiwanese guy who officially wants to improve his english for business reason but we mostly chat about women and such as he pleases, a 13 year old girl who lived in Australia for 3 years and wants to keep her English at a high level and a young fellah who just needs extra help as he is slow to pick things up but is really nice.

This is a beautiful country which ive still not seen enough of and tbh there are very few drawbacks as in I have not really seen anything i dislike about the country or people (who are so nice, almost to a fault) in the 7 months ive been here. It is generally considerd as being all the positives about China but nicer and more relaxed. The Weather is great tbh ive loved it so far and have never really been cold thropughout winter although it is really humid at times and ive been warned that i will be sweating my balls off in the high summer seasons

Korea is great for pay and the social scene from what ive heard but its like Marmite some love it some hate it (nobody has said a word about Taiwan but it is the less followed path) and the laws/qualification checks have apparently become much more stringent there recently. Japan is also class and you get payed well from what i know but things do cost a hell of a lot more and you more often run the risk of having much larger classes. then there is the Viet Nam', Malaysia's etc which can be like paradise if you visit them but may be more ideal for a holiday and school wise you are much more likely to be working in a small less developed place which may not be to your liking and the pay, class size etc vary greatly.

and as you may recall from my posts, Chinese new year is a week plus long time of awesomeness here.

long post i know but if you or anyone (Gave bubs some words but he had already planned to head to China and had friends there anyway) would like any more info hit me up.

Sorry Volt but if anyone remembers the scouser who won the lotto and bought Harchester united in Dream team, you look just like him imo in that pic :pac:

• Advertisement

compared to the standard of living cost your right the opportunitys really are unreal. As far as the Celta thing goes, I got mine by doing a 4 week course in dublin and left for Taiwan within a forthnight of its completion. It allowed me get a job I wanted as I was given preference over other applicants. Yes you can get a job handy enough with just the degree but often those ones may have hidden drawbacks i.e you could have really big classes or be expect to work a hell of a lot of hours and such things are often not mentioned in the Ads.

The Language barrier is an interesting one and would be similar in Taiwan as in most countries around here. I still speak relatively no chinese and live really well with virtually no drawbacks as a result of my lack of proprer chinese. If however you take a job in a rural area (unlike me in Taipei) you really should start learning Chinese immediatley imo.

I highly reccomend Taiwan for the reasons i will state but obviously take it with a pinch of salt as I have not taught anywhere else yet (minus England and Ireland, subbing unqualified at the time) however many of my friends have.

I have a good amount of hours but not too much that I am exhausted from work. I have no classes in size over 12 students at the moment and the largest ive had was 14. Every class over 3 students in size you will have a TA/Chinese teacher in it with you and as far as my experience goes they are all female and around 21 and good friends of mine now who all have great English. We get payed very well but also we were on a guarantee system for the first 6months here, which meant even if we worked under the required amount of hours you still get payed a set pay which you can live very well on, then after the 6 months you will either come off the guarantee and get a big bumper pay day if you are working extra hours or stay on it despite that meaning you are getting payed more than you work. I have mostly young classes of around 8, 9year olds per class and have 2 or 3 proivates atm: a 28 yr old Tiwanese guy who officially wants to improve his english for business reason but we mostly chat about women and such as he pleases, a 13 year old girl who lived in Australia for 3 years and wants to keep her English at a high level and a young fellah who just needs extra help as he is slow to pick things up but is really nice.

This is a beautiful country which ive still not seen enough of and tbh there are very few drawbacks as in I have not really seen anything i dislike about the country or people (who are so nice, almost to a fault) in the 7 months ive been here. It is generally considerd as being all the positives about China but nicer and more relaxed. The Weather is great tbh ive loved it so far and have never really been cold thropughout winter although it is really humid at times and ive been warned that i will be sweating my balls off in the high summer seasons

Korea is great for pay and the social scene from what ive heard but its like Marmite some love it some hate it (nobody has said a word about Taiwan but it is the less followed path) and the laws/qualification checks have apparently become much more stringent there recently. Japan is also class and you get payed well from what i know but things do cost a hell of a lot more and you more often run the risk of having much larger classes. then there is the Viet Nam', Malaysia's etc which can be like paradise if you visit them but may be more ideal for a holiday and school wise you are much more likely to be working in a small less developed place which may not be to your liking and the pay, class size etc vary greatly.

and as you may recall from my posts, Chinese new year is a week plus long time of awesomeness here.

long post i know but if you or anyone (Gave bubs some words but he had already planned to head to China and had friends there anyway) would like any more info hit me up.

Very interesting. Sounds like you're having a grand adventure. I was close to doing something like this myself last year and it's still something I'm considering for later in this year.

Can I ask about the CELTA thing as I found this a bit confusing last year. I've heard this is respected abroad but I was talking to a girl who went to a 4 week course in Dublin - which didn't offer a CELTA certificate but nonethless had a qualification that was acknowledged here in Ireland - and she was saying as long as it is accredited in Ireland then there shouldn't be any problems. She ended up teaching in Italy with her one.

Would you agree with this or would you advise doing one that offers a CELTA qualification?

Very interesting. Sounds like you're having a grand adventure. I was close to doing something like this myself last year and it's still something I'm considering for later in this year.

Can I ask about the CELTA thing as I found this a bit confusing last year. I've heard this is respected abroad but I was talking to a girl who went to a 4 week course in Dublin - which didn't offer a CELTA certificate but nonethless had a qualification that was acknowledged here in Ireland - and she was saying as long as it is accredited in Ireland then there shouldn't be any problems. She ended up teaching in Italy with her one.

Would you agree with this or would you advise doing one that offers a CELTA qualification?

If you can do a Celta one, they arent hard to find tbh but i do agree that once it is recognised in Ireland it should be okay (gimme the name of the cert if you know it cos some are dodgy but employers wont always know that actually) however if you are thinking of moving across the world the security of guaranteed acccepted qualifications which too can be done in just a relatively easy few weeks is def worth getting imo. Especially as you never know what you might want to do after your first job/contract/year.

Sorry Volt but if anyone remembers the scouser who won the lotto and bought Harchester united in Dream team, you look just like him imo in that pic :pac:
    Dean Boyle? Haha get lost!

dean.jpg

If you can do a Celta one, they arent hard to find tbh but i do agree that once it is recognised in Ireland it should be okay (gimme the name of the cert if you know it cos some are dodgy but employers wont always know that actually) however if you are thinking of moving across the world the security of guaranteed acccepted qualifications which too can be done in just a relatively easy few weeks is def worth getting imo. Especially as you never know what you might want to do after your first job/contract/year.

I was told to give the Alpha College of English a look in the city centre. They have a CELT qualification which is acknowledged by the Department of Education so I don't think they are dodgy, but whether it would stand me in good stead I don't know.

Which course did you plump for in the end? Was it International House Dublin's one?

Dublin School of English, its right on the quay in the city centre connected to U2s hotel, bonos actually the landlord iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Nice one, you're a true gentleman. I'll have to buy you a pint or two if i end up over there.

I'd say it'd be Taiwan. Myself and a lad in my course are thinkin bout it. He's married to a wan who's from the Philippines, so hes moving over to her after the exams, and going teaching then in a few months, so I'll keep in touch with him and see what he says. I was looking up Taiwan, looks like a lovely place. We'll have to see where the big bad world takes me.

Sound out again though, I'll give ya a shout once I've looked into it properly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Go to Japan Ger and become Mr Kobashi's personal Irish tutor. I'll give you a signed hurl for him, he was looking for my autograph in Coventry the last time only me pen stopped working.:pac:

"Is mise ......Kobashi........cad is bri le chop chop cho[ as gaeilge le do thoil.....ta willy mor agam......"

flahavaj wrote: »
    Go to Japan Ger and become Mr Kobashi's personal Irish tutor. I'll give you a signed hurl for him, he was looking for my autograph in Coventry the last time only me pen stopped working.:pac:

"Is mise ......Kobashi........cad is bri le chop chop cho[ as gaeilge le do thoil.....ta willy mor agam......"

The thought of teaching Kobashi to greet people by saying "WELL BAI" tempts me alright.

You must have wasted all the ink drawing the love heart on my flahavaj foam hand. Ink well wasted all the same

Wacky Waving, Arm Flailing, Inflatable Flahavaj?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Wacky Waving, Arm Flailing, Inflatable Flahavaj?

Haha the original Flah can do all them things and better! Protect your crops, confuse your neighbours, or simply raise the roof. No better bai than the Flah

The thought of teaching Kobashi to greet people by saying "WELL BAI" tempts me alright.

Between that and getting Morishima to play full back for the Deise you'd be elected bah.:pac:

Between that and getting Morishima to play full back for the Deise you'd be elected bah.:pac:

Imagine it. The Horse Morishima. Ger Loughnane tearing him apart on the sunday game. The posibilities are endless. Giving Lar Corbett a back suplex up in Semple on Munster Final day, all the auld lads in the crowd "HEY HEY HEY COP ON BOY, THERE'S NO NEED FOR IT"

Imagine it. The Horse Morishima. Ger Loughnane tearing him apart on the sunday game. The posibilities are endless. Giving Lar Corbett a back suplex up in Semple on Munster Final day, all the auld lads in the crowd "HEY HEY HEY COP ON BOY, THERE'S NO NEED FOR IT"

"Takeshi Morishima taking it out over the 45. 'Twas only last Summer I visited his father's karaoke bar in down town Shinjuku Japan. Hes the President of the GAA club over there and the father of 14 sons who all played for the Parish in the All Asia final last year. His mother is a schoolteacher from Killybegs, a marriage of Donegal and the Orient...........neither a hurling stronghold."

Michael O Muircheartaigh would have a field day.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

"Takeshi Morishima taking it out over the 45. 'Twas only last Summer I visited his father's karaoke bar in down town Shinjuku Japan. Hes the President of the GAA club over there and the father of 14 sons who all played for the Parish in the All Asia final last year. His mother is a schoolteacher from Killybegs, a marriage of Donegal and the Orient...........neither a hurling stronghold."

Michael O Muircheartaigh would have a field day.:pac:

I'd say if Morishima was playin he'd no more be taking it over the 45 now than I would, the size of him. Imagine Marty Morrissey tryin to interview him after a game. You'd nearly fly him in just for the Championship for the craic

• Advertisement

my internet connection is fubar atm so whilst i can im just pointing this out as there will be delays with ATH / my posting in general for a lil bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

what do people think my chances are....i'm gonna try steal this from work:

chair.jpg

suggestions?! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The obvious choice would be pick it up and lash everyone over the head with it as yuo are leaving.

What are your co workers views on unprotected chairshots?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The weight of this i would be done for murder not assault....tis a heavy mofo....it's an idea though! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

gimmick wrote: »
    The obvious choice would be pick it up and lash everyone over the head with it as yuo are leaving.

What are your co workers views on unprotected chairshots?
    Chris Nowinski would go mad thinking about all the concussions :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 54,292 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

the rock hasnt really set hollywood alight has he?
    Just seen an advert for his latest movie, the tooth fairy, things must be bad for rock

Headshot wrote: »
    the rock hasnt really set hollywood alight has he?
    Just seen an advert for his latest movie, the tooth fairy, things must be bad for rock

I'd say hes delighted with himself tbh. Gets to spend most of his time at home with his family, doesn't have to take a dozen bumps on his back every night and gets more widestream exposure than he ever could have as a wrestler. And all the while getting paid very very well for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Had to throw this up lads, this is literally one of the fu*king funniest things ive ever seen:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Messi and Villa up front for Barca next season:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Unless Galway United sign him. It says in Messi's contract that he can sign for Galway for a Papa John's pizza.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement