Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Best of luck to everyone doing the Leaving or Junior today lads, as the Memmy always said to me "keep your head on your shoulders and you'll be grand bai."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Ah the old exams. Just remember it's easier than you think. If you write what you know and attempt the rest and you're almost certain to pass. In my Irish leaving exam the essay thing I had to write I used about the only 6 words of Irish I knew (all of which I've forgotten) and basically wrote, translated, something about a dog. The dog had a sore foot. I gave the dog with the sore foot sausages. The dog with the sore foot ate the sausages. I asked my daddy could we keep the dog with the sore foot that ate sausages. He said we couldn't keep the dog with the sore foot that ate sausages. I asked my mammy could... you get the idea, and for the answering questions on passages and poetry I'd just find a word used in the question in the passage and write that sentence. I ended up with a c2 in Irish without studying a lick of it. Granted Higher is probably a bit tougher and that technique wont work. If that's the case I do apologise for eating in to study time with my sleep deprived ramblings :pac:
    In short, good luck. The hardest part is not getting to annoyed about the inevitable good weather that always comes while you're stuck inside.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    Ah the old exams. Just remember it's easier than you think. If you write what you know and attempt the rest and you're almost certain to pass. In my Irish leaving exam the essay thing I had to write I used about the only 6 words of Irish I knew (all of which I've forgotten) and basically wrote, translated, something about a dog. The dog had a sore foot. I gave the dog with the sore foot sausages. The dog with the sore foot ate the sausages. I asked my daddy could we keep the dog with the sore foot that ate sausages. He said we couldn't keep the dog with the sore foot that ate sausages. I asked my mammy could... you get the idea, and for the answering questions on passages and poetry I'd just find a word used in the question in the passage and write that sentence. I ended up with a c2 in Irish without studying a lick of it. Granted Higher is probably a bit tougher and that technique wont work. If that's the case I do apologise for eating in to study time with my sleep deprived ramblings :pac:
    In short, good luck. The hardest part is not getting to annoyed about the inevitable good weather that always comes while you're stuck inside.

I agree with this. F*cking attempt everything, no matter how little you know about it. The guys marking want to give you marks, the only way to piss them off is to leave a load of stuff blank, which means they can't give you any marks. Even in Maths, just writing out a relevant formula without attempting it will get you marks, certainly enough to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

w00t it's my bday today :D turning a spritely 27 :D

Happy birthday jayk bah!:D

• Advertisement

Daytime TV is some loada boll*x.

Some bird on TV3 "I tried every diet and food fad and couldn't lose a pound."

Quick, free tip fatty. Lay off the doughnuts and go for a jog.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

No doubt the fat bird was eating a bad of marshmallows at the time

gimmick wrote: »
    No doubt the fat bird was eating a bad of marshmallows at the time

Silly cow got her stomach stapled instead. All she can eat is baby food. Surely the agony of getting that done and the general sh*ttiness of having to live like that is ten times worse than just cutting down and taking abit of exercise? She can't even lie down for two houyrs after eating.

F*cking eegit.

Team picked. Will put up a pick of it at home. No MS paint here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

flahavaj wrote: »
    Daytime TV is some loada boll*x.

Some bird on TV3 "I tried every diet and food fad and couldn't lose a pound."

Quick, free tip fatty. Lay off the doughnuts and go for a jog.:pac:

It's not all bad. Judge Judy is too great. The rest is bad.

BBC interactive showing highlights of some of the best WC matches is a great watch but it ain't half making me feel old already at my slight young age of 22. Scary that USA 94 is 16 years ago already. I spent every sunny day there was that summer outside trying to get a tan like Romario thinking if I had that I'd be transformed into a footballing master and I'd be the boss in the schoolyard come September.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Paper 1 is DONE.

Wrote 14 pages about. Good stuff.

Paper 2 tomorrow. Poets and ****e.

Nice to have the first one out of the way.

Tis. 9 more to go. w00t

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I feel old this 8 years ago I was doing my junior and watching Ireland v Saudi Arabria before one of my exams

You are old. I was in 4th class I think. Gary Breen. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!

I did my leaving in 1997, so stop talking about age :(

• Registered Users Posts: 86,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Birthday Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

jaykhunter wrote: »

It's also my birthday. 18 today, English Paper 1 is a great way to celebrate a birthday. 1 exam down, 10 to go.:)

It's also my birthday. 18 today, English Paper 1 is a great way to celebrate a birthday. 1 exam down, 10 to go.:)

Happy birthday Machismo. Sh*tty way to spend it.

Do people still go into English paper 1 with an essay learned off that they will write no matter what? I know I did.

But in hindsight what a farcical way to examine people'e creative ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

jaykhunter wrote: »
    It's also my birthday. 18 today.

Happy birthday to the both of ye!!

happy-birthday.jpg
    English Paper 1 is a great way to celebrate a birthday. 1 exam down, 10 to go.:)
    Paper 1 is DONE.

Wrote 14 pages about. Good stuff.

Paper 2 tomorrow. Poets and ****e.

Well done to the both of ye on getting Paper 1 outta the way.

• Advertisement

I wrote my leaving cert essay on an unrequited love. The topic was "art of conversation". I had recently told the girl I was crazy about her and basically wrote about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,462 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Birthday Machismo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

flahavaj wrote: »
    Happy birthday Machismo. Sh*tty way to spend it.

Do people still go into English paper 1 with an essay learned off that they will write no matter what? I know I did.

But in hindsight what a farcical way to examine people'e creative ability.

Thanks. I had a couple of essays in mind but they didn't really fit the titles so I had to work on the fly. Exam went well enough though, I'm just happy to be started.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

BlackMachismo1.jpg

OOOH YEAH!!! Happy birthday leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

gimmick wrote: »
    I wrote my leaving cert essay on an unrequited love. The topic was "art of conversation". I had recently told the girl I was crazy about her and basically wrote about that.

The title of the essay I did was something like "he looked into her eyes and promised he'd see her again" so I basically wrote an essay on Prison Break for that. Got a C2 in English:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Breithlá Shona Duit a chairde :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Happy birthday lads and gluck on the exams my hint: use the word apt as many times as possible to describe how things are named/titled/described in English.always worked for me and i think i got like 2 percent away from an A in honours. Sounds like a :pac: suggestion but as people say they are looking to give you points so even if you are writting just a paragraph on the obvious fact that whatever is aptly named (easy to do no matter what the topic) they will give you points for it as its always relative.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Breithlá Shona Duit Daoibh a chairde :)

:pac:

You stil get a B2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

And for gods sake, punctuation saves lives.

A) Lets eat Grandma
    B) Lets eat, Grandma

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Voltwad wrote: »
    And for gods sake, punctuation saves lives.

A) Lets eat Grandma
    B) Lets eat, Grandma

yes, yes and yes some more. I write like crap on forums and online in general because Im just getting it out there as quick as possible. For example I never use ' at all basically but I am currently and English teacher. I know its a different type of English i am grading but like examiners for the most part I want to give the best grade i can so unless it is badly written i dont generally care what they are writting about. You could write something fiercly boring that the examiner would never want to read if it were not his job but if its atleast written properly they will most likely grade it highly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement