Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

I'll go with Carwin, yourself??

UFC 116 (pre-lims included) all set for record:D:D

I am picking Carwin. I just feel he's going to land a punch at some stage. I hope I am wrong though.

Carwin in the first. KO or GnP.
    Brock was taking out Shane's Wrestling creds. Which is ridiculous. Brock's Division 1 title being compared to Shane's Division 2. Shane can outpunch him and sizes up well compared to Brock. Shane's taken some decent hits (Gonzaga broke his nose) while Brock's not been hit very hard in his last few fights. Shane dispatched a bigger Mir than Brock had. But that makes no odds.
    One other thing imo is that Brock has no KO power. I don't mean that he is weak but he hasn't gotten one clean KO since starting MMA. He hit Herring hard but he was still awake. He needed to pound Mir into the canvas to beat him. Brock's Sick absence helps Carwin's cause too.
    So I'[m going Carwin by 1st round KO.

Carwin in the first. KO or GnP.
    Brock was taking out Shane's Wrestling creds. Which is ridiculous. Brock's Division 1 title being compared to Shane's Division 2. Shane can outpunch him and sizes up well compared to Brock. Shane's taken some decent hits (Gonzaga broke his nose) while Brock's not been hit very hard in his last few fights. Shane dispatched a bigger Mir than Brock had. But that makes no odds.
    One other thing imo is that Brock has no KO power. I don't mean that he is weak but he hasn't gotten one clean KO since starting MMA. He hit Herring hard but he was still awake. He needed to pound Mir into the canvas to beat him. Brock's Sick absence helps Carwin's cause too.
    So I'[m going Carwin by 1st round KO.

One important point is that Carwin has never been under the spot light quite like this whereas Lesnar has thrived on it. And even today in the world cup, we see what pressure can do to teams that on paper should have won but mentally folded because of pressure.

One important point is that Carwin has never been under the spot light quite like this whereas Lesnar has thrived on it. And even today in the world cup, we see what pressure can do to teams that on paper should have won but mentally folded because of pressure.

Carwin KO'ed Mir for the Interim Championship. That was a spotlight. Carwin's a calm guy he tends to just shut off once he's in the octagon. Brock's been sick and has been out of the Octagon, everyone gets ring rust we saw what 5 months did to BJ Penn. It's exactly a year since Brock fought. Carwin fought in March. Brock's never fought someone that could match up to his size and strength. Also Brock's stand up can't compare to Carwins. I'm astonished that Shane's the underdog in this fight. The only way I see Brock winning is if the fight goes into the second and Carwin has no cardio.

Carwin KO'ed Mir for the Interim Championship. That was a spotlight.

This is another level. I'm sure the demands on him were alot more. I am not saying it's the only factor but to me it is one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'll be rooting for Brock and I think he'll get the job done, although I watched Carwin against Mir and thought he was very impressive. Should be explosive stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Without a doubt Carwin will be Brock's biggest challenge (Randy was too old and slow and Mir was simply overpowered at 100). Carwin's stand up is far superior to Brocks although we've never really got a chance to see Brock trading yet and you would have to suspect that he does possess knock out power. Brock's a better wrestler and usually would dominate on the ground cause of his size and speed but he's gonna have a hard time getting Carwin down and if he does, keeping him down. You also have to look at the fact that Brock hasn't fought in 51 weeks. Just like Rampage a few weeks ago ring rust could be a factor, especially against a guy like Carwin who hasn't been taken past the first round EVER. It'll be interesting to say the least.

I'm going for Brock by TKO 4 minutes into the first round but I think he will be tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The real fight of the night will happen in Sligo. Galway, Shane Carwin, are an established team that need to hit the big time. Sligo, Brock Lesnar, are knocking geeks like Mayo out of competitions everywhere.

Who will win? (cough Galway cough)

chordtype wrote: »
    although we've never really got a chance to see Brock trading yet and you would have to suspect that he does possess knock out power.

He's knocked down every guy he's faced in the UFC. But I take your point, the first thing on his mind is to go for a takedown.

It's so close to call.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

im a bad bad man *hic*

what time is the UFC match on tonight over there?

• Advertisement

what time is the UFC match on tonight over there?

3 in the morn on ESPN. Brock fight won't be on until 5 ish.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

3 in the morn on ESPN. Brock fight won't be on until 5 ish.

woo i can wake up to it at 12 in the morning, awesome :)

streams thread people

I'm not even disappointed with Galway footballers anymore. Just numb to poor results.

Here's hoping for the hurlers to redeem our county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm not even disappointed with Galway footballers anymore. Just numb to poor results.

Shocking capitulation in the last few minutes.:eek:

Jesus people slate Mayo for being bottlers and what have you but at least they've made a few All Irelands the last few years.

I fear for yer hurlers as well tomorrow, could be an awful hiding. Going over to Croker anyway for a look. Hope ye do it but can't really see it happening.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Go Brock! I actually said he would win by submission on F4W's poll and only like 4% or so thought likewise. Should have stuck money on it. :cool:

Should have stuck money on it. :cool:

You really should have!

Amazing show.

Anybody that didn't stay up to watch UFC last night should try to see it somehow. Amazing show as was already said.

Anybody that didn't stay up to watch UFC last night should try to see it somehow. Amazing show as was already said.

Some on the MMA forum are taking Lesnars comeback quite hard. The blind resentment that some people have towards him will never completely go away. I love it.

Heyman very emotional:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Go Brock! I actually said he would win by submission on F4W's poll and only like 4% or so thought likewise. Should have stuck money on it. :cool:

Odds on a submision win were f*cking BIG as well.:mad:

Good lad Brock. I love how his success sickens MMA "purists.":pac:

I don't think Brock should be champ at the moment. The Event was superb, that's summed up by having two fight of the night awards. The fight should have been stopped in the first. Too many unanswered punches. But being able to bounce back from that and get a submission victory Brock has earned my respect as a fighter.

• Advertisement

I don't think Brock should be champ at the moment.

Surely the result vindicates the referees decision?

I'm a very casual MMA fan but I love all the Sherdog tools crying over Brock's win. To see the madness only a week after their god Fedor lost might be too much for them to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

To be fair the winning point from Sligo should not have been allowed. :eek:

Come on Berdy, as someone who has lost way to much money on you choking so ****ing often in the last few years,

FULFILL YOUR ****ING POTENTIAL AND WIN !!!!:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Some on the MMA forum are taking Lesnars comeback quite hard. The blind resentment that some people have towards him will never completely go away. I love it.

I usually avoid the MMA forum for a few days when Brock fights. Goes into full on Sherdog.com mode for a while. Shame.

I don't think it should have been stopped in the first because Lesnar was doing a decent job of defending himself was actually fighting back. You have let things go longer in a title match (as long as no one is looking like they are going to be injured obviously). His takedown and ground game in the second was great. Great movement on the ground, so smooth and fluid for a guy of his size.

I'll be honest. Its amazing seeing Rovert rile up all the MMA guys and he is actually in the right. His main point is that the MMA mod is a Brock begrudger due to his Pro Rasslin background. The mod is coming across badly. MMA is a business as much as any other sport. Dana and Zuffa want to make money. Brock may not have been as experienced as the rest of the UFC guys but he has brought new interest, high buyrates and has proven himself a worthy champ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

If they're this upset with Brock I can't wait to see what they'll be like when James Toney destroys Couture :pac:

I'll be honest. Its amazing seeing Rovert rile up all the MMA guys and he is actually in the right. His main point is that the MMA mod is a Brock begrudger due to his Pro Rasslin background. The mod is coming across badly. MMA is a business as much as any other sport. Dana and Zuffa want to make money. Brock may not have been as experienced as the rest of the UFC guys but he has brought new interest, high buyrates and has proven himself a worthy champ.

A lot of people in that thread are coming off quite bad.
    You know things are getting silly when there is 3 pages about the origin of the term Mixed Martial Arts.

God forbid these people would have to endure their sport gaining mainstream popularity and possibly even acceptance. They (and I partly include myself in this) moan when the press are negative on the sport and cover it poorly but when someone like Brock fights and brings in a larger audience, which will lead to more exposure and acceptance they bitch about it, saying it's not what it used to be.

When I hear Joe Duffy describe it as "human cock-fighting" I get annoyed too. These geeks take it up a whole bitter notch though. Brock can only be good for the sport but Sherdog smarks won't accept that. If wrestling was that popular I wouldn't feel bad for watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Man this ultimate fighting stuff is great! come on Brock!

• Advertisement

When I hear Joe Duffy describe it as "human cock-fighting" I get annoyed too.

I've never been more angry listening to the radio than that episode of LiveLine.

The highlight was one guy claiming that the UFC had a list of fighters that had died in the Octagon (none) proudly displayed on their website for everybody to see and Wayne McCullough didn't know whether to start laughing or crying.

Funnily enough when they discussed UFC Joe said 'is the blood real or is it fake like in the WWF?'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement