Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2010/0726/canningo.html
    Galway hurling great Ollie Canning appears to have confirmed his retirement from the inter-county game, following Galway's narrow one point defeat against Tipperary in the All-Ireland Hurling quarter-finals.

Canning, who has been named in four Hurling All Star teams, previously announced his retirement from inter-county hurling in 2006, only to return in 2008. However, Sunday's defeat against Tipp may well be his final game for Galway.

Canning spoke on RTÉ's Sport at 7 and when asked if there was any truth in the rumours that he announced his retirement in the aftermath of the Tipp match, he said: 'I did say at the start of the year that this was going to be my last year and I think I'll probably be sticking to that.

'It gets tougher every year and you can't keep going and become a liability to the team.'

When pressed on whether he would give it stay of for one more year in the hopes of winning another All-Ireland medal, Canning added: 'I think everything's in place. I think with the management and backroom team and the players, we're very, very close to it.

'But as regards to staying on I don't know. I felt that this was going to be my last year and it's going to be very hard changing my mind from that,' he added.

Canning also revealed the depth of feeling that was there in the Galway dressing room after the final whistle against Tipp.

'We were devastated obviously to lose such a close game, it could have gone any way in the end and we had a couple of chances ourselves, but Tipp got the score to finish the game,' he said.

'It was very tough to take, we've improved well this year. We felt against Kilkenny that we made too many mistakes, but we improved and we felt that coming into the game we felt that everything was going really well and that everything was set up for us to go on and win, but when you lose a game like that it's very hard to take.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Don't know. One good match in a poor season really isn't good enough IMO. I think a lot of people felt sorry for us due to his reaction but his consistent selection of Damien Joyce is really idiotic as he has never played well under McIntyre.

Every manager makes mistakes, but looking at the bigger picture he's done well. He has sorted out the spine of the team - full back, centre back, midfield and full forward are all strong positions now. A new manager now means another couple of years of settling in, new ideas, new methods etc etc before ye see real improvement. I think if he continues the rate of improvement of the last few years ye will make a semi next year or better and finally beat one of the established teams on the big day. Stability is what ye need now, not more of the same constant chopping and changing that has gotten ye absolutely no success in the last 2 decades.

How we bounce back really is the key. As much as you don't think the League means a lot it does in this scenario. If we struggle in the League we know we're ****ed.

How we bounce back really is the key. As much as you don't think the League means a lot it does in this scenario. If we struggle in the League we know we're ****ed.

The League really isn't the be all and end all. If you look at the four semi finalists only Cork really went at it full pelt and in the final even they were quite obviously holding back.

Isn't there an argument that Galway peaked too soon this season? Their best perfromances were in the league where they were excellent. But in the championship they were way under par apart from Sunday. Perhaps they put too much into the league? Farragher for one never played half as well in the championship as his did in the league. The really good teams gear their training to be in absolute tip top form come August. By the looks of it Galway came a few months too early, while Tipp looked to have timed their run beautifully. Its nigh on impossible to sustain a consistent level of high performance throughout the league and through the entire championship.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The League really isn't the be all and end all. If you look at the four semi finalists only Cork really went at it full pelt and in the final even they were quite obviously holding back.

Isn't there an argument that Galway peaked too soon this season? Their best perfromances were in the league where they were excellent. But in the championship they were way under par apart from Sunday. Perhaps they put too much into the league? Farragher for one never played half as well in the championship as his did in the league. The really good teams gear their training to be in absolute tip top form come August. By the looks of it Galway came a few months too early, while Tipp looked to have timed their run beautifully. Its nigh on impossible to sustain a consistent level of high performance throughout the league and through the entire championship.
    The argument is actually how we bottle important games. I thought because we lost to Dublin and Tipp so easily that we were taking it easy and that we would be rewarded. That is not the case. We have lost by 1 point in the last 2 KO's in the QF. We lose it in the last 5 minutes. That has nothing to do with any League campaign. It's a state of mind that hasn't changed since we lost to Cork two years ago.

• Advertisement

The argument is actually how we bottle important games. I thought because we lost to Dublin and Tipp so easily that we were taking it easy and that we would be rewarded. That is not the case. We have lost by 1 point in the last 2 KO's in the QF. We lose it in the last 5 minutes. That has nothing to do with any League campaign. It's a state of mind that hasn't changed since we lost to Cork two years ago.

That experience in the bigger games can only come from playing in them year in year out. Ye are streets ahead of the shambles that ye wre in Thurles against Cork 2 years ago. I was down there that day and Canning hurled them on his own, the other five forwards might as well have stayed to home tbh. Cork beat ye with 14 men. Last year ye lost to a mediocre enough Waterford team that was playing way below par. Again no comparison to how well ye played in just being pipped by Tipp at the death. Ye are making progress. It might be hurting right now but when you feel better you'll realise there is a definite year on year improvement.

That said I'm glad people are starting to agree with what I said all year - Galway were getting overhyped to a large extent by the media after the league.

flahavaj wrote: »
    That experience in the bigger games can only come from playing in them year in year out. Ye are streets ahead of the shambles that ye wre in Thurles against Cork 2 years ago. I was down there that day and Canning hurled them on his own, the other five forwards might as well have stayed to home tbh. Cork beat ye with 14 men. Last year ye lost to a mediocre enough Waterford team that was playing way below par. Again no comparison to how well ye played in just being pipped by Tipp at the death. Ye are making progress. It might be hurting right now but when you feel better you'll realise there is a definite year on year improvement.

That said I'm glad people are starting to agree with what I said all year - Galway were getting overhyped to a large extent by the media after the league.
    I agree but Kilkenny won't be beaten. The media were hyping up contenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hurling is part of the GAA. Kilkenny are good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

I agree but Kilkenny won't be beaten. The media were hyping up contenders.

Depends on who wins the Tipp-Waterford game. I reckon we could rattle them in the final, especially after last year. I doubt Waterford could in all honesty.

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Depends on who wins the Tipp-Waterford game. I reckon we could rattle them in the final, especially after last year. I doubt Waterford could in all honesty.
    It would be a close match but I'd see the cats pulling through

• Advertisement

It would be a close match but I'd see the cats pulling through

Hopefully you'll be wrong anyway :cool:

Gerard C is a prominent poster on boards.ie Pro Wrestling forum.

Gimmick is from Cork

Cork is a county in Ireland. Everyone wishes they were from Cork. Apart from emos, as the disposition down here is just too bright and hopeful.

The best thing about Cork is the road to Tipperary

Thats not a statement of fact. More of an opinion. A wrong opinion, but an opinion nonetheless.

31 counties would consider it a statement of fact!

And you know what I say about the other 31 counties!

boards.ie is a message forum on the internet

I like the brown river in Cork. I love the Tipp accent :" That Eye-sacky lad is pure shyte" eg.

You both have yer bad points.

Did anyone hear Nicklebacks new song? Jesus it's horrendous. I dont understand how people could like it, I really dont.

Nickleback's new song isn't very good.

• Advertisement

I like the brown river in Cork. I love the Tipp accent :" That Eye-sacky lad is pure shyte" eg.

You both have yer bad points.

Tipp's only bad points are its neighbouring counties :pac:

Tipp? Is there another county in Ireland where the its name always given as a abbreviation?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Did anyone hear Nicklebacks new song? Jesus it's horrendous. I dont understand how people could like it, I really dont.

Nickleback's new song isn't very good.

**** band release **** song shocker. :eek:

Nickleback's aren't very good.

Fix'd. The most mainstream lot of ****e I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Legend_DIT

Hey guys,

I'm not really much of a poster on here but I'm a frequent reader (sounds better than lurker!) and was hoping you guys could do me a favour...

Me and my fiancee are in the last 7 of a competition to win a brilliant wedding - I was wondering if you would go to the below link and vote for Brian and Stella? Cheers :)

http://www.confetti.ie/view.aspx?p=1301

I like Waterford. It is a county in Ireland. Tony Browne is an old man that hurls rather well. He is my hero.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Saw Toy Story in 3D today. My God, 3D is the most over-hyped thing ever.

The name's Walsh. Brick Walsh.
    brickv.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Saw Toy Story in 3D today. My God, 3D is the most over-hyped thing ever.

I hate 3D already.. Those 3D TV's are doomed to be the next Beta-max, Mini Disk, LaserDisc, HD-DVD, mark my words lads.. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

I hate 3D already.. Those 3D TV's are doomed to be the next Beta-max, Mini Disk, LaserDisc, HD-DVD, mark my words lads.. :pac:

I thought there was no difference between 3D and HD at all (bar the glasses).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement