Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Voltwad wrote: »
    What Metallica song was that picture ripping off by the way? I can't remember it

ONE!

the heavy "darkness...imprisoning me...all that i see" breakdown toward the end of the song!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I don't get arcade fires appeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

ONE!

the heavy "darkness...imprisoning me...all that i see" breakdown toward the end of the song!
    But of course, silly me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

At the end of the day Dance Music, is the music of the uneducated..

I think a lot of dance music (and I don't mean the dross that you hear on the radio during the day with a million hooks) isn't as immediately accessible as other forms of music. It usually doesn't have a verse chorus verse structure. It's a bit of an acquired taste to want to listen to a four to the floor kick drum from hours.

Wasn't the last Metallica album a bit poo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

chordtype wrote: »
    I think a lot of dance music (and I don't mean the dross that you hear on the radio during the day with a million hooks) isn't as immediately accessible as other forms of music. It usually doesn't have a verse chorus verse structure. It's a bit of an acquired taste to want to listen to a four to the floor kick drum from hours.

Wasn't the last Metallica album a bit poo?
    Wasn't as bad as St. Anger but the production quality was definitely a bit questionable with endless distortion etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

The last Metallica album was ok, but as Volt says the production is a disgrace, everything is so compressed that its barely listenable.. Another chapter in the "Loudness Wars" :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

St. Anger is deadly. I bet most people actually liked it when they first heard, but when they heard that the general concensous was that it wasnt as good as Justice or whatever, they also disliked it.

It's great craic trying to put that point across in the Rock and Metal forum :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Gerard.C wrote: »
    St. Anger is deadly. I bet most people actually liked it when they first heard, but when they heard that the general concensous was that it wasnt as good as Justice or whatever, they also disliked it.

It's great craic trying to put that point across in the Rock and Metal forum :pac:

I like some of the songs on St Anger even still now but the no guitar solo thing really pissed me off(especially as a guitarist:pac:) The thing i hate about the Rock and Metal forum is its fu*king full of Metallica marks that somehow turn every discussion into a Metallica wankfest..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I think I might have actually liked St. Anger if an actual drumkit was used and not kitchen utensils. Wouldn't listen to much Metallica at all these days. Overplayed to heck and other bands of the genre I'd prefer.

Even during my metal phase I still was more partial to Nine Inch Nails than Metallica.

Anybody for Electric Picnic this year?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

At the end of the day Dance Music, is the music of the uneducated..

While I realise you are half joking there, the term "dance music" is far too all encompassing. I would not call deep house music "dance" by any means. I would be slow to call Drum N Bass "dance".

By Dance music, I refer to the shiny poppy sanitized stuff on the radio, and the stuff you hear on "Ibiza Uncovered " super CDs etc.

Myself, I am a lover of deep house. Have been since I was rocking away in Sir Henrys 15 years ago. Its a very soulful type of "dance" music. This is one of my all time favourite tracks

Gimmick, did you get the new Efdemin album or are you a fan?

Cannot say I ahve heard of tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Metallica had maybe two good songs IMO

gimmick wrote: »
    Cannot say I ahve heard of tbh.

His self titled debut is probably one of my favourite albums ever. Really good deep house that crosses over to techno and even a bit of minimal trance (not in a cringeworthy way though).

Interesting. Ill give it a blast when I am at home

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Kinda like bringing up lesnar in the mma forum ;)

I loved st anger, still do, and when it came out I was starting to really get into their stuff, but I noticed that all my friends who had known of them because of older brothers hated it.
    It was a great metallica now album, as opposed to the same thrash metal that they started off with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lads I have been noticing a bit of a bulge recently.:(

Its not anything to worry about, but I want to nip it in the bud, but I don't want to go to gyms. Does anyone have any Gym equipment in their houses? Like running machines? :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Lads I have been noticing a bit of a bulge recently.:(

Its not anything to worry about, but I want to nip it in the bud, but I don't want to go to gyms. Does anyone have any Gym equipment in their houses? Like running machines? :o

How much space/money have you got?

If your interested in running, run outside. Its free and takes up no space in your house.

Use your cash and space for some weights, weights are great way to burn calories. You don't have to lift super heavy or anything. Also cut down on the grub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

DM-ICE wrote: »
    How much space/money have you got?

If your interested in running, run outside. Its free and takes up no space in your house.

Use your cash and space for some weights, weights are great way to burn calories. You don't have to lift super heavy or anything. Also cut down on the grub.

To be honest, I am not fat and food has never been a huge issue. I have got in a habit of eating awful takeaways as I work nights which is something I need to sort out. :(

How much money do I have?

Millions. :pac:

Seriously though I suppose I would be willing to spend 200 or maybe a bit more really.:o

• Advertisement

Ive taken up Kickboxing and the pounds are falling off me.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    To be honest, I am not fat and food has never been a huge issue. I have got in a habit of eating awful takeaways as I work nights which is something I need to sort out. :(

How much money do I have?

Millions. :pac:

Seriously though I suppose I would be willing to spend 200 or maybe a bit more really.:o

I would get some weights this book so you know what to do and some running shoes. You wouldn't need to do much running maybe 2 to 3 times a week. Weights are great for burning off calories.

Gimmicks idea is a great one but probably not perfect for you since you work nights.

Out of interest why do you dislike the gym?

Fixing your diet is probably more important than the exercise at first, otherwise you'll just end up going in circles and it'll be harder to lose weight.

Even dieting for a week or two combined with some decent exercise will yield results. That way you won't end up having to kill yourself exercising.

Diet is a big part too.

But whatever training you do make sure its at high intensity. I'd guess Gimmick's kick boxing is at high intensity so thats why he sees results.

If people run they are better off doing intervals (Sprint, slwo, sprint) than a steady plod of a jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I'm a big fan of Ross Enamait. He really cuts out pretty much any excuse you could have for not exercising (no money for equipment, no time, no space etc) with genius ideas and inventions. There's plenty on his site that'd be of use without needing to buy or *cough*otherwiseaquire*cough* his books.

Diabhal, looks like we have another match on out hands with the u21 final!

Diabhal, looks like we have another match on out hands with the u21 final!

Aye but we'll win this one.

Aye but we'll win this one.

Third times the charm is it? Noel McGrath will leave ye in tears after it :pac:

Dunno. We have a good under-age set-up. Who else is on the Tipp team?

• Advertisement

Noel McGrath, Brender, Paraic and Bonnar Maher, Michael Cahill from the starting 15. Buggy O Meara and Sheamy Hennessey both featured for us this year too. We've a very good U 21 forward line, and thats with Noel startin in centre field

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement