Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ger I don't think you'll understand why I like the site. I enjoy hearing expert opinion on wrestling. Dave and Bryan are in fairness. They get all the inside news. They make money cuz people like me will pay to hear their insight. They offer a high quality service for a reasonable price. If you don't care about the site that's grand. Enjoy your two extra pints or your nagin of vodka. I might leave F4W for a while but I know I'll be back again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

PWInsider Elite FTW lads... Although i havent been a member for 3 or so years.. The ressesion cant really justify paying for wrestling news tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Ger I don't think you'll understand why I like the site. I enjoy hearing expert opinion on wrestling. Dave and Bryan are in fairness. They get all the inside news. They make money cuz people like me will pay to hear their insight. They offer a high quality service for a reasonable price. If you don't care about the site that's grand. Enjoy your two extra pints or your nagin of vodka. I might leave F4W for a while but I know I'll be back again.

Ah no, thats one thing. At least you have a mind of your own like. Tis the other 95% im getting at. Shur the divil knows himself :pac:

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Ah no, thats one thing. At least you have a mind of your own like. Tis the other 95% im getting at. Shur the divil knows himself :pac:
    I agree with ya man. I like to hear their thoughts but others take it as Bible. Lar Corbett would tell ya himself :pac:

I agree with ya man. I like to hear their thoughts but others take it as Bible. Lar Corbett would tell ya himself :pac:

Oh jesus if anyone knows tis Lar

• Advertisement

Heard Lar is a big puro fan

Heard Lar is a big puro fan

He was only into spot fests up untill 2 or 3 years ago. Then he discovered the technical aspect of the sport and turned to the puro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

He was only into spot fests up untill 2 or 3 years ago. Then he discovered the technical aspect of the sport and turned to the puro

Maybe if Lar scores a goal against the Cats he might even do a "you cant see me" celebration a la Joe Canning. :P

Tribesmen7 wrote: »
    Maybe if Lar scores a goal against the Cats he might even do a "you cant see me" celebration a la Joe Canning. :P

When :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I just think, personally, that that website dictates peoples opinions on wrestling. Listening to somebody like Bryan, Dave, Vinny or whoever's opinions on something isnt worth that much money, imo. And Bryan especially hasnt that much of a clue what hes on about. They watch it from a buisness standpoint, going on about things being good for buisness and ratings all day. It isnt for people who just watch wrestling as fans, and dont really care too much if the Nexus angle is good or bad for buisness. Why should I, as a fan, care if something is good or bad for buisness? Thats just the way i sees it for meself anyway

This is a problem I have with the majority of the IWC. The obsession with buyrates, ratings, and the like. I don't mind discussing it myself as I think sometimes it can be fun, but some people you genuinely would think they owned WWE shares as they never stop banging on about the numbers.

The so called marks who just enjoy the wrestling and don't pay any attention to the backstage politics and business are probably better off in the long run.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    This is a problem I have with the majority of the IWC. The obsession with buyrates, ratings, and the like. I don't mind discussing it myself as I think sometimes it can be fun, but some people you genuinely would think they owned WWE shares as they never stop banging on about the numbers.

The so called marks who just enjoy the wrestling and don't pay any attention to the backstage politics and business are probably better off in the long run.

Stop, it can be heartbreaking to deal with sometimes. Thats why I like this forum. Its not dominated by backstage craic like most of them are. Like you said, it can be grand in small doses, but talking to people who judge wrestling based on the numbers it draws rather than your actual of enjoyment of it can be like talking to a wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I just sign up to F4Wonline.com every couple of months and read and listen to the interesting stuff from the past few months then. The Board is hilarious in doses, but after a while the gimmick posting gets a bit old. It is worth signing up for the Bruno Sammartino interviews in the archives alone, and theres a great one with Billy Robinson too I wish I had saved.

The greatest interview they ever did IMO was with Bryan Danielson. It was longish but really interesting and he came across as a really nice guy.

If you want humour there's interviews with Mikey Whipwreck that are hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You don't have to sub for one year. I'd recommend a one month sub just to see if you'd like it.

Coughlin is funny. He just can't grow a beard. He also isn't Irish enough for ya IIRC :pac:

Alan is very cool. Wish he posted here. He has great guests on like Rob Naylor and Justin and Eamo.

Naylor is brilliant. If you ever get a bit jaded on pro wrestling, ten minutes of lietening to Naylor pimp obcure 80's squash matches of Japanese guys no one has heard of will fir your enthusiasm again.

I think the audio and the Observer itself makes ten bucks a month a decent deal, but having the Observer Archive there puts it over the top in terms of value. the Board gets very tedious very fast, way too many c*nts over there for me to be bothered posting very often there. I'd say theyr'e all f*cking massively obese.:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I may seem biased as im now a mod here but Ive never had to stray away from Boards PW for my wrestling needs and similar to how i view the soccer board (although there can be some gobsh*tes there) on here i believe you get a more balanced and decent opinion from posters here to any other sites ive seen about. Plus we have people here who go and dig out all the big news for us and even have our own podcast etc.

Plus it's free

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I think it's because some of the longer standing posters don't take on the form of other forums longer posters. As in someone could blast someone else just because they haven't posted here as long as they have.

I joined the f4w forum for like a week and hated it. You just knew posting on a topic was going to be flammed right out of it.

CMpunked wrote: »
    I think it's because some of the longer standing posters don't take on the form of other forums longer posters. As in someone could blast someone else just because they haven't posted here as long as they have.

I joined the f4w forum for like a week and hated it. You just knew posting on a topic was going to be flammed right out of it.

Thats true about the long standing posters for sure and we have some quality ones who are very occasional posters atm that i enjoy seing making the occasional post such as former mods: Fozzy, Vince and Orestes

The flaming thing is probably right too as even when a thread goes a lil off topic (which this one has by seemingly developing a topic...should i split the threads?) due to two people arguing a point, its generally resolved by people agreeing to disagree and actually saying that they understand and appreciate the others point/opinion as seen with DB and Ger above. Its really odd other PW sites dont work in a similar manner after all this is the pantomine of PW and although we all love it, it still isnt the most serious thing in the world and if your just a fan shouldent be treated as such imo.

I think it's because Irish people are more laid-back in general. Yanks are very strong-minded and will defend their opinions to the death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭Tribesmen7

I think it's because Irish people are more laid-back in general. Yanks are very strong-minded and will defend their opinions to the death.

I don't think thats it. If you look at some of the other forums on Boards such as After Hours and you can easily get abused or accusations made about you as a person because you have a different opinion to other posters.

The Pro Wrestling board here isn't like that. While people will disagree with eachother there is very little flaming and people seem to get along for the most part.

• Advertisement

You'll get arseholes everywhere though. I just think that we are more relaxed than most countries.

The board here now is good because the mods aren't c*nts, simple as.

flahavaj wrote: »

umm thanks but there is far more to it than that

umm thanks but there is far more to it than that

Its a big part of it. In my experience good moderation = good forum in most cases and is a vital starting point. This place used to be a disaster zone.

I blame that on kentonbomb :pac:

I blame that on kentonbomb :pac:

ahhh memories!

think someone took an axe to the PW wiki some time ago though as last time i was on it (not recently) the thing had drastically reduced in size with links to threads of fame like his nowhere to be seen.

flahavaj wrote: »

This is true. The mods now are sound. Fair play to ye

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I guess i'm not that dedicated to wrestling to want access to the news 6-8 hours before it makes it's way on the general internet, I can wait. For those who pay to listen to the podcasts/discussion, is there anything they say that is a lot better than other (free) podcasts that justify it? I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean that after hearing great discussions with Fritz and Vito on BTR, and meltzer and the lads on The LAW, i'm really sorted for considered opinions. That and coming onto Boards, many of whom are bang on about things.

I do enjoy talking numbers, but it really is far too nerdy and time-consuming to do all the time.

jaykhunter wrote: »
    I guess i'm not that dedicated to wrestling to want access to the news 6-8 hours before it makes it's way on the general internet, I can wait. For those who pay to listen to the podcasts/discussion, is there anything they say that is a lot better than other (free) podcasts that justify it? I don't mean that in a bad way, I just mean that after hearing great discussions with Fritz and Vito on BTR, and meltzer and the lads on The LAW, i'm really sorted for considered opinions. That and coming onto Boards, many of whom are bang on about things.

I do enjoy talking numbers, but it really is far too nerdy and time-consuming to do all the time.

If you're into your puro there are soime good podcasts on there. The Bryan Alvarez and friends stuff is gas craic as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Definitely, and we're well-adjusted and reasonable. I can cope with strong opinions, but I cannot stand when people (i.e. Americans) refuse to even acknowledge/accept the other person's PoV, let alone the possibility of it changing their opinion. It's like a pussy-form of a cowboy - where someone says something you don't agree with, and you shoot them in the face....just on the internet!

The other problem i have is when Americans (I've only ever interacted with ONE brash, ignorant non-American who is still reasonable MOST of the time!!) refuse to accept facts. I'm not talking about (eg) John Cena not being a great technical wrestler, I'm talking about some punk refusing to believe that a man was ever Women's champion in WWE - despite linking to wikipedia (showing Harvey Whippleman) and a fcuking youtube video!!!! (His reply was 'no.')

You get ar$eholes everywhere yes, but none more concentrated than an American board with poor-to-no modding. Check out the GT forums. Or the entirety of youtube.

The Boards PW community is pretty bliss. It's even better than the Gamer and Film sections, which have a few snobs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement