Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    Anyone see that 'banned' family guy episode yet?

Yeah, it's alright. I guess the subject matter is too serious or handled too poorly for Americans but it was on BBC during the run of the season. I don't remember laughing much during the ep tho. What did u think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why was it banned? Who did they try upset this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

gimmick wrote: »

plot outline from here
    Partial Terms of Endearment (08x21) : While at her 20th college reunion, Lois meets up with her friend Naomi who asks Lois and Peter for a big favor. Naomi and her husband Dale ask Lois is she will be a surrogate mother to their child. Lois agrees to carry their child but after she becomes pregnant, Dale and Naomi are killed in a car crash so she must make the difficult decision whether to terminate the pregnancy or carry to term.

Although I appreciate trying to be edgy, there's no moral center or message they're trying to convey. It's just "let's be distasteful because we're like, so rebellious" mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

jaykhunter wrote: »
    plot outline from here
    Partial Terms of Endearment (08x21) : While at her 20th college reunion, Lois meets up with her friend Naomi who asks Lois and Peter for a big favor. Naomi and her husband Dale ask Lois is she will be a surrogate mother to their child. Lois agrees to carry their child but after she becomes pregnant, Dale and Naomi are killed in a car crash so she must make the difficult decision whether to terminate the pregnancy or carry to term.

Some of the best writing in that episode. I know it sounds stupid but FG have really stepped up their game this season.

Especially with that episode that's entirely stewie and Brian in the bank vault for a weekend.

In regards to the episode I posted about:
    Did you not think that if that was in a genuine drama show scenario it would be considered viable and thought provoking?

How can they try and put a funny spin on that? Sounds awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Basically, it was about Lois getting an
    abortion
    . Fox banned it from airing in the States because of its "controversial subject matter, in regards to its portrayal of
    abortion
    " but it aired on BBC Three over here.

Episode spoilers:
    1 of Lois's friends from high school asked Lois if she'd have her child since her and hey boyfriend couldn't conceive. Lois went ahead with it and when she discoverd she was pregnant, her friend and her boyfriend died in a crash. Lois and Peter went on about aborting the baby. They went to the abortion clinic to get it aborted when Peter saw anti-abortion protesters outside. They told him on it was wrong etc.... It end's when Lois goes on about how a new baby would bring the family closer together and Peter ends it by saying she had it aborted.

FG have really stepped up their game this season.

Especially with that episode that's entirely stewie and Brian in the bank vault for a weekend.

What, the episode where Brian ate Stweies crap? Family Guy is awful shock tactic shíte. It was funny a long time ago, now it seems they just want to upset people as proven by that banned episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

What, the episode where Brian ate Stweies crap? Family Guy is awful shock tactic shíte. It was funny a long time ago, now it seems they just want to upset people as proven by that banned episode.

What about South Park with their Mohammed episode? I dont really mind Family Guy, but I cant watch most episodes of South Park, its was too opinionated. They cant seem to just makes jokes, they have to try and have a go at something current. Thats stupid. The episode the other night, where they were having a go at stem cell research, and they had Christopher Reeve eating foetuses, and the kids kept going "Oh I'm not touching that one". What are they trying to prove by saying that, oh we're saying bad things and we know it, thats why we're deadly. Stupid. Give me Fr. Ted anyday! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I like Family Guy and South Park but they are both attention whores when it comes to controversy. Take Seth McFarlane (the creator of FG). He said that he would never joke about 9/11 as he was supposed to be on a flight that crashed into the towers or something like that. He made a joke a while ago about a film Peter did called :"9/11, 2000 and fun". He's a good writer but a massive **** at the same time.

Parker and Stone are also *****. The episode about the Special Olympics was absolutely horrible. They also include two physically challenged characters in the supporting cast. Just to be ***** but at the same time that nobody can criticise the fact they used those characters.

FG and SP have brilliant episodes. Those episodes are not the attention seeking episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Gerard.C wrote: »
    What about South Park with their Mohammed episode? I dont really mind Family Guy, but I cant watch most episodes of South Park, its was too opinionated. They cant seem to just makes jokes, they have to try and have a go at something current. Thats stupid. The episode the other night, where they were having a go at stem cell research, and they had Christopher Reeve eating foetuses, and the kids kept going "Oh I'm not touching that one". What are they trying to prove by saying that, oh we're saying bad things and we know it, thats why we're deadly. Stupid. Give me Fr. Ted anyday! :)

• Advertisement

I like the fact that some of the episodes are topical. I think South Park has more or less gotten better as it has progressed.

I agree about the Stem Cell episode though. Awful crap altogether which was not funny and was just disgusting.
    The episode about the Special Olympics was absolutely horrible. They also include two physically challenged characters in the supporting cast.

I would look at that from the other angle completely. It showed that just because you are disabled does not mean you cannot compete. It showed Cartman up to be a complete prick thinking that if he pretended to be disabled he would be better than the genuine disabled. He floundered massively and made an idiot of himself in the process.

I would look at that from the other angle completely. It showed that just because you are disabled does not mean you cannot compete. It showed Cartman up to be a complete prick thinking that if he pretended to be disabled he would be better than the genuine disabled. He floundered massively and made an idiot of himself in the process.
    The over-exaggerated characters was the veiled insult. Like Camp Tardacaca or whatever they called the special camp on a recent episode.

Ya, that was a tad OTT.

South park has never made any bones about the fact that it can be very offensive, but I feel it just balances itself alot more than Family Guy does. At least South Park can actually have a message.

Ya, that was a tad OTT.

South park has never made any bones about the fact that it can be very offensive, but I feel it just balances itself alot more than Family Guy does. At least South Park can actually have a message.

But thats the thing, who watches cartoons to get a message? SP comes across as way too preachy for me. Personally, when I watch cartoons, I just want nonsense, like a man fighting a chicken for 5 or 6 minutes, not SP having a go at organised religion.

Ya, that was a tad OTT.

Yep Family Guy never really has a message. In the recent episode with OJ we went a whole episode thinking he changed and it ended quickly with OJ stabbing two people.

It is clear that South Park does challenge common opinions. They bring in alien-related stuff which is cool

But thats the thing, who watches cartoons to get a message? SP comes across as way too preachy for me. Personally, when I watch cartoons, I just want nonsense, like a man fighting a chicken for 5 or 6 minutes, not SP having a go at organised religion.
    I think people grew up with the Simpsons and it's a genre on it's own so they expect they same kinda structure. I agree with you about the nonsense though Ger.

But the message balances out the manky crap that can be there, and its not just 20 minutes of vagina jokes.

But the message balances out the manky crap that can be there, and its not just 20 minutes of vagina jokes.
    But you can't expect to gain any kind of message from a show that has a recurring gag of an old man who is a paedophile.

I think people grew up with the Simpsons and it's a genre on it's own so they expect they same kinda structure. I agree with you about the nonsense though Ger.

Simpsons was always like that though, South Park only got all topical and preachy around season 6 or 7. There was an episode the other day where the leader of the church was a rabbit or something. Like I'm not religious meself and I wouldnt be offended by it, but could they not just make a fart joke or something that we would all find funny? I dont like the idea of forming opinions on issues in cartoons. At least when FG bring elements of real life into their show, they dont bring elements of the persons real life to the show with them. Thats what bothers me about SP, they just seem to have to have their finger on the pulse of "pop culture" all the time. Feck that

Simpsons was always like that though, South Park only got all topical and preachy around season 6 or 7. There was an episode the other day where the leader of the church was a rabbit or something. Like I'm not religious meself and I wouldnt be offended by it, but could they not just make a fart joke or something that we would all find funny? I dont like the idea of forming opinions on issues in cartoons. At least when FG bring elements of real life into their show, they dont bring elements of the persons real life to the show with them. Thats what bothers me about SP, they just seem to have to have their finger on the pulse of "pop culture" all the time. Feck that
    They went a whole season ripping off movies at one stage. It was really annoying and that was the stage where I felt as bad as Family Guy was it could come up with better movie rip-offs than SP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

The last page here reads like the SP vs FG double episode, hell that even had the Muhammed bit in it which was nothing like the recent FG episode because their was a very obvious message behing that.

They went a whole season ripping off movies at one stage. It was really annoying and that was the stage where I felt as bad as Family Guy was it could come up with better movie rip-offs than SP.

Too right for ya bai. What I was watching the other day and I forgot how funny it was is Little Britian. Some of the sketchs are pure brilliant. Mr. Man, who keeps asking for wicked specific things is some legend

Like I'm not religious meself and I wouldnt be offended by it, but could they not just make a fart joke or something that we would all find funny?

If everyone made the same jokes, we would all be very bored very quickly. For me, Family Guy is base humour, at least South Park does require a small bit of thinking.

Its like comparing Duece Bigalow to Clerks. Some people love the baseness of the former, other like the cleverness of the latter.

You can't compare Clerks to South Park. Maybe Clerks 2 when it was making stupid Lord of the Rings jokes and donkey dick jokes.

The original Clerks is amazing.

The 2nd half of Clerks 2 was awful. The first half pretty much left off where Clerks finished off.

The 2nd half of Clerks 2 was awful. The first half pretty much left off where Clerks finished off.
    Clerks was perfect the way it was. It's a shame they sold out so much just for the sake of having a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I love this forum :D

FG to South park to simpsons to clerks. Happy days.

IMO, SP took a nosedive after seasons 9ish, now its only appeal is its topical.

Family guy can make jokes and be funny about anything and even though its looked down on by south park writers, i think thats part of the appeal.

Seth mcfarlenes cavalade of cartoon comedy is the most horrendous piece of crap i ever had to watch.

I love this forum :D

FG to South park to simpsons to clerks. Happy days.

IMO, SP took a nosedive after seasons 9ish, now its only appeal is its topical.

Family guy can make jokes and be funny about anything and even though its looked down on by south park writers, i think thats part of the appeal.

Seth mcfarlenes cavalade of cartoon comedy is the most horrendous piece of crap i ever had to watch.

This. Now ya have it. Maith thu!

LOLVANDERVAART. G'wan Almeida and the bais!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

Jesus horrible to see what happened to Valencia,wish him a speedy recovery,never nice to see

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement