Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Voltwad wrote: »
    Different when people on the dole have kids though.

Childrens' allowance. And you can feed a family healthily and nutritiously on the money the dole gives anyway, no bother at all.

It just involves actually using a cooker and not sending the youngest to the chipper every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

flahavaj wrote: »
    Childrens' allowance. And you can feed a family healthily and nutritiously on the money the dole gives anyway, no bother at all.

It just involves actually using a cooker and not sending the youngest to the chipper every day.
    Ah but things are never that simple. Especially when people were led to believe re-mortgaging, overpaying for a new house etc etc was perfectly okay back a few years ago. Now people have lost their jobs and have major issues balancing the books. In many circumstances, the dole is not enough for those people. I wonder if Cowen and his cronies could live on the dole :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Different when people on the dole have kids though.

True. Kids can be expensive at the best of times (especially around this time with back to school and all) and if the 'rents are struggling financially then it could be bad times even with childrens allowance and all.

I agree though with Flah that it can be done though if there is a bit of thought put into it.

I wonder if Cowen and his cronies could live on the dole :)

The amount that he spends on booze and fags. He'd be broke by the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

chordtype wrote: »
    The amount that he spends on booze and fags. He's be broke by the next day.

If only lads...

The-Straight-Edge-Society-Logo.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ye have to remember bais. Bucky costs a 10er.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

So what's the top tips to spending 20 squids on a weeks food?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

CMpunked wrote: »

Buy Aldi, Lidl and own brand stuff instead of branded food

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

And freeze, portion and reheat

There are some products that are cheaper in tesco.

• Advertisement

Learn what a proper portion is. For me anyway about 100g of pasta is enough for one person. You can buy a 3kg bag for less than a fiver. That's more than enough even if you have it 3 times a day for week. Pasta sauces are quite cheap so buy different ones and again learn how much to use.

The freezer is also your friend. If you buy chicken or meat, use only what you need and freeze the rest for other days. Don't leave it back in the fridge cause there's a good chance that it'll go off before you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Buy in bulk, don't expect huge diversity in your meals and freeze everything. This is gonna sound weird but i couldn't live on 20 quid a week but i could live on 80 a month. 20 chicken fillets and 2 pounds of steak is 35 quid in a butchers near me. throw in a 72 biscuit weetabix knock off from aldi at 4 euro and thats breakfast and dinner sorted. 40 quid left in the kitty for bread tea butter cheese veg etc.

A guy I knew in college lived for 2 weeks on different flavoured rices (normal, special grain etc) and would get stock powders, like curry powder, soup powders and the like.
    The amount of different combinations he came up with was unreal. And then throwing in bits of carrots and onions etc.

Man was a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I'm a skinny vegetarian f**k, trying to put weight on, so when I buy food i lookout for the ratio between price:calories. (Shop in Tesco Jervis Street cause I live near there)

Tesco Value Cheese and Tomato Pizza - €1.20 - 1300 calories, when consider an average male needs around 2500 calories, that's 50% of your daily food needs for 1.20. Not too healthy though!

Pasta, bread, rice, and beans are also cheap and hearty meals.

Buy tinned fruit and frozen veg, it's a lot cheaper than the fresh stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I mind, he's just the worst leader this country could have asked for :(

I am no fan of the man or FF, but Copwan was in fact the best man to take the job when he did. The fact that Bertie left him hoverring over an abyss seems to be forgotten by many.
    The amount of "Oh look at our minister for health" jokes made were annoying. She seems like a nice person but I wouldn't trust her with big decisions.

Wouldn't trust her? The woman should be charged with a future genocide after discontinuing the cervical cancer vaccine for young girls? The who lark that "she is doing the best she can" myth should have well and truly been de bunked now.
    Charisteas wrote: »
    I'm a skinny vegetarian f**k, trying to put weight on

Stop being a vegetarian then :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

gimmick wrote: »
    Wouldn't trust her? The woman should be charged with a future genocide after discontinuing the cervical cancer vaccine for young girls? The who lark that "she is doing the best she can" myth should have well and truly been de bunked now.

Completley agree with this, it's a disgrace that she was allowed get away with making such an illinformed ridiculous disgrace of a decision.

but more than having a.....lets say "plump" minister for health....we have a minister for "science" who is launching a creationism book which claims evolution is a hoax!! are you f*cking ****ting me.....science? creationism? DOES NOT COMPUTE!
    Stop being a vegetarian then :p

QFT!!

Meant to add above that I know the cervical cancer vaccine has been re introduced, but it was gone for a year. That will have consequences.

Meant to add above that I know the cervical cancer vaccine has been re introduced, but it was gone for a year. That will have consequences.

she just caved to pressure! it should have never happened in the first place!

Did I hear that right?..

The guy who broke the man united players ankle is kirk broadfoot?!

He didn't break his angle. It was a tangle and Valencia was extremely unlucky to have the break. Broadfoot just happened to be right next to him. It was not even a tackle ffs.

Lunchtime news has just said that the average person in Ireland can get drunk on €6. What the hell am I doing wrong??? :p

• Advertisement

He didn't break his angle. It was a tangle and Valencia was extremely unlucky to have the break. Broadfoot just happened to be right next to him. It was not even a tackle ffs.

Lunchtime news has just said that the average person in Ireland can get drunk on €6. What the hell am I doing wrong??? :p
    You're not a lightweight from Dublin

My bad.
    Just heard the report this morning and thought the name was just unfortunate :pac:

not drinking paint thinner from the local hardware store!!
    You're not a lightweight from Dublin

careful now!! real men know how to drink....regardless where they are from!

Dubs are notorious lightweights. Us Galwegians have a joke that whenever we see vomit on the ground we say it must have been a Dub.

we'll have to organise a PW beers and i can show you how dubs really drink!! ;)

you goin to the fozzy gig per chance?

I would hazard that a PW beers will never happen. Its been discussed over and over. Best oppurtunity was last year when 5 or 6 said they were interested, then it just fell flat again.

Maybe if NLW/AWR did a saturday show somewhere it might coax people out of their comfort zones.

I'm not unfortunately. I was hoping to head up Belfast for the Smackdown in November.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Fozzy is definitely the best chance for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 86,476 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement

I would hazard that a PW beers will never happen.

not with that attitude it wont!! :p
    I'm not unfortunately. I was hoping to head up Belfast for the Smackdown in November.

Yeah i might be going to that....depending if WWE give us free tickets like they did last year! :pac:
    Fozzy is definitely the best chance for sure

i think we should just try organise it....set up a thread (if a mod does it, it will be official, look better and may entice more people...hint hint hint)

people meet up, who ever is going to the gig heads off and then heads back once it's over!! some of the best nights out i've had have been boards beers, a PW one would be great craic!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement