Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

http://features.peta.org/ChineseFurFarms/

jeeeeeeesus.

I'm not someone to preach to anyone, but my ****ing god.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

€2 mcdonalds breakfast vouchers!
    Good for those commuters and going to work early etc.

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/vouchers/BQ3-MCD-Vouchers.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

nice one!! but lookin at the pictures im hungry! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Eastbound and down season 1- €15.99 in Hmv.

Quick view on wiki showed me theres only 6 episodes?! :O
    So that was a no.
    Instead, downloaded them in 45 minutes and watched one ep last night.

Im not instantly convinced yet.
    I just dont think I can warm to kenny powers.

Maybe it's because of the guy that plays him always seems to do the same character.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

CMpunked wrote: »
    Eastbound and down season 1- €15.99 in Hmv.

Quick view on wiki showed me theres only 6 episodes?! :O
    So that was a no.
    Instead, downloaded them in 45 minutes and watched one ep last night.

Im not instantly convinced yet.
    I just dont think I can warm to kenny powers.

Maybe it's because of the guy that plays him always seems to do the same character.

To be honest i love Kenny Powers because he is such an obnoxious asshole, the character, logicallly should be hated, but he has just enough humility to make him likeable, Season 2 is amazing so far imo, i think a lot of people wont like it because its a little differant to season 1..

To be honest i love Kenny Powers because he is such an obnoxious asshole, the character, logicallly should be hated, but he has just enough humility to make him likeable, Season 2 is amazing so far imo, i think a lot of people wont like it because its a little differant to season 1..

I hope I do start to like him. He's just that little too obnoxious so far.

Like in sitcoms obnoxiousness should work.
    Look at cox in scrubs, sheldon in big bang theory and Charlie sheen in 2 and a half men.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,672 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Look at cox in scrubs, sheldon in big bang theory and Charlie sheen in 2 and a half men.

Oh God I hate Sheldon from Big Bang theory. Worst tv character (apart from that bitch from Murder She Wrote) I've ever seen.

Only watched the first three episodes of Eastbound and Down. Thought it was good, but not great. That being said, I was told its better if you don't watch the episodes back to back, which is what I had done.

Or the most obnoxious character of them all....

George-Costanza.jpg

Oh God I hate Sheldon from Big Bang theory. Worst tv character (apart from that bitch from Murder She Wrote) I've ever seen.
    personally speaking I find all the characters from BBT brilliant. Probably because I can relate. But I'm interested, what are your biggest problems with the sheldon character?
    Only watched the first three episodes of Eastbound and Down. Thought it was good, but not great. That being said, I was told its better if you don't watch the episodes back to back, which is what I had done.

Yeah I tried doing that with the first 2 last night.
    The fact that there's only 6 really made me think I wasn't going to like it as I don't see 6 episodes being enough for any kind of arc.

• Advertisement

Have to say i quite like Big Bang Theory, its a good show to just watch ramdomly, without having to think too much about storylines or arcs.. I quite How i Met Your Mother too, although that has slowly begun jumping the shark.. But Barney is still an incredibly funny and again obnoxious character.. :pac:

Have to say i quite like Big Bang Theory, its a good show to just watch ramdomly, without having to think too much about storylines or arcs.. I quite How i Met Your Mother too, although that has slowly begun jumping the shark.. But Barney is still an incredibly funny and again obnoxious character.. :pac:

It is a good show but I've found the characters (excluding barney) kinda similar. There's not much definition between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

God i hate 2 and a half men. Its so stupid. Oh look at Charlie Sheen he's some legend! No hes not hes a old tool.

I've never heard of this Kenny Powers, I'll have to investigate

Charlie sheen plays the same character in every role he does. In fact he is the same in real life too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Charlie sheen plays the same character in every role he does. In fact he is the same in real life too...

Exactly. And did ya ever notice he's kind of hard to understand sometimes, like he mumbles through his nose or something? Not a quality best suited for an actor really

The pompous git gets about 2 million per episode like.
    I still think he should've gotten jail when he knocked his wife about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Sitcoms are not funny anymore. I watch Big Bang Theory and How I met your mother but I only laugh maybe once every few episodes. Just watch them to kill time.

personally speaking I find all the characters from BBT brilliant. Probably because I can relate. But I'm interested, what are your biggest problems with the sheldon character?

He's just so unlikeable. At least someone like Dr.Cox shows a human side, and tries to help people. Sheldon is rude, annoying, has a major superiority complex and from what I've seen, never shows anything which says that he is worth knowing. I have failed to spot any redemptive characteristics at all (I'm open to correction as I don't watch the show regularly).

His whole purpose on the show seems to be to explain simple things by unnecessarily using big words and not understand anybodies humour but his own. That's it.

Basically, he's just a prick. I'm sure he has some mental handicaps like OCD and Aspergers, but he's still a prick.

Love your analogy paddy. Love it.
    Disagree with some of your points but admittedly because you said he's had no redemptive qualities, but he's had a few.
    Like:
    Penny twisted her ankle and he gave up what he called his only evening alone to help bring her to the hospital, bring her home, make chicken soup etc.
    Another was from when Leonard actually explains to penny how he became and stayed friends with sheldon. I won't say too much as it is actually a good ep.
    Other times could be how he helped both penny and leonard out when their relationship was rocky.
    He used the analogy of shrodingers cat in a great way.
    Those are only a few points but there are a few more.

I think the thing I like most about the show is the fact that the 4 main characters are so diverse and from different cultures but are all joined at the hip.

Sheldons mother is stanch southern baptist,
    Leonard was brought up on science being the element to everything, even his upbringing with love.
    Raj is Hindu.
    Howard is basically a Jewish, younger Glen quagmire.

Sitcoms are not funny anymore. I watch Big Bang Theory and How I met your mother but I only laugh maybe once every few episodes. Just watch them to kill time.

Agreed. Pretty much anything with a laugh track just kills it for me. That's not being snobby as some shows with the laughter have been brilliant, but most are just annoying. Shows like Modern Family and Arrested Development are ones I find way funnier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

A growing problem i have with BBT is that since the show is basically now "The Sheldon Show", every week is 'hey sheldon, tell us what your new hilarious idiosyncrasy is'. Do that for 2 seasons episodes and you wonder why his cohorts (especially Penny - who is not his mate - continues to blissfully take his abuse for the sake of sitcom 'comedy') like last week she smilingly took Sheldon and his 'girlfriend''s abuse while they called her a slut and calculated how many men she's slept with, while chauffeuring them on their date.

Repetition and formula really become apparent and although I love the nerdy references, these problems are really starting to grate on me. It doesn't help that the 'most normal guy' Leonard is a whiny d**kless prat that is ashamed of being a nerd to try to fit in. BBT now really feels like a bog-standard sitcom with nerdy references.

Ah, feels good to rant smile.gif

BBT need to focus more on Howard and Raj as the focus on Sheldon and his rude, condescending decorum is getting really annoying. Also if they wanted to shake things up, they'd have Penny sleep with someone else in the group; either Sheldon or Walowitz.

Arrested Development are ones I find way funnier.

AD is imo the greatest sitcom ever. Far too smart for FOX. It is densely packed with biting, witty banter and extensive wordplay. They have season-long storylines that fit together, change and make complete sense; fresh character-types with different types of humour and hilarious running gags. It's incredible that they can fit so much humour and plot into 22 minutes. This show stands proud against the great witty British comedies of the 80s.

I'd consider it smarter and funnier than the Simpsons in it's heyday, coming from a 20-year simpsons fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Agreed. Pretty much anything with a laugh track just kills it for me. That's not being snobby as some shows with the laughter have been brilliant, but most are just annoying. Shows like Modern Family and Arrested Development are ones I find way funnier.
    Can't say I think Modern Family is funny TBH. It is good on a caring for the characters basis. Makes ya feel fuzzy after every episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

I don't like em either. Granted I've only seen a few episodes but everything was too predictable and obvious it's hard to enjoy. The only recent sitcom I've enjoyed is The Life And Times Of Tim. Oh, and Outnumbered.

Jolt2007 wrote: »
    I don't like em either. Granted I've only seen a few episodes but everything was too predictable and obvious it's hard to enjoy. The only recent sitcom I've enjoyed is The Life And Times Of Tim.

Tim 1, Homeless community Zilch

Speaking of funny.

Anyone get a look at Karl pilkington in An Idiot Abroad? Its a lot better than I expected. And there's nearly no gervais in it :D

Gerard.C wrote: »
    God i hate 2 and a half men. Its so stupid. Oh look at Charlie Sheen he's some legend! No hes not hes a old tool.

I've never heard of this Kenny Powers, I'll have to investigate

Enjoy dude, the greatest American TV Character of the 21st Century..

Love your analogy paddy. Love it.
    Disagree with some of your points but admittedly because you said he's had no redemptive qualities, but he's had a few.
    Like:
    Penny twisted her ankle and he gave up what he called his only evening alone to help bring her to the hospital, bring her home, make chicken soup etc.
    Another was from when Leonard actually explains to penny how he became and stayed friends with sheldon. I won't say too much as it is actually a good ep.
    Other times could be how he helped both penny and leonard out when their relationship was rocky.
    He used the analogy of shrodingers cat in a great way.
    Those are only a few points but there are a few more.

But see, those are things you would expect a person to do. Like they'd almost go without saying. But he does so many annoying things, like making Penny move when she's in his seat, even if he hadn't been sitting there, and just constantly belittling people, but not in a "Hey we're friends and I'm really only messing" kind of way.

I guess he's just an aquired taste, and maybe if I watched the show more I'd warm to him. But I don't like the show enough to watch it that often, so I guess he'll just stay annoying to me

Speaking of funny.

Anyone get a look at Karl pilkington in An Idiot Abroad? Its a lot better than I expected. And there's nearly no gervais in it :D

Yeah, loved it. Really lookin forward to the next one. Rickys laugh can be annoying, but the conversations between the two of them are priceless. I enjoyed seeing just Karl though.

• Advertisement

Speaking of funny.

there's a hilarious ad for Karl's book with Warrick Davis in it check it out if you can. I love Karl, a comic mastermind, a genius. Although I would like it if they had 15 mins of the show with Karl back in the studio with the lads to chat about it. They do prod him to say the funniest things.

I could even just listen to the show, don't need to see what he sees :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement