Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭Penn

For me, it'd be either Arrested Development or The Office for funniest show. Not the American Office though. I condemn that show to Hell!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I like the american office! I think its hilarious! I prefer if to the original, if Im being honest.

As far as funniest shows go, Curb Your Enthusiasm stands above everything else on tv. The episodes are so well structured, and theres a real sense of continuity running throughout each season. Not to mention Larry David is king.

I like the american office! I think its hilarious! I prefer if to the original, if Im being honest.

As far as funniest shows go, Curb Your Enthusiasm stands above everything else on tv. The episodes are so well structured, and theres a real sense of continuity running throughout each season. Not to mention Larry David is king.

The thing about Curb your Enthusiasm is, while I agree that it's very funny, brilliantly acted and structured, and Larry David is amazing in the role, the problem is that nearly every episode is the same. I watched seasons 1-3 in pretty quick succession and when saying this to a friend, he said you shouldn't watch more than 3 episodes in one go.

If a show is funny it should be funny no matter how many episodes you watch.

I do agree that it is a brilliant show, but its knocked out of my top 3 for the above reason

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The thing about Curb your Enthusiasm is, while I agree that it's very funny, brilliantly acted and structured, and Larry David is amazing in the role, the problem is that nearly every episode is the same. I watched seasons 1-3 in pretty quick succession and when saying this to a friend, he said you shouldn't watch more than 3 episodes in one go.

I do agree that it is a brilliant show, but its knocked out of my top 3 for the above reason

Aye, the structure of thee episodes are really samey. It was the same problem with Peep Show in the last few seasons.
    On Yank comedies I adored Arrested Development. I keep meaning to check out Eastbound and Community though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Anyone catch the middle yet? Just watched one and it's not too bad.
    Think I might be downloading a few of these :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Looks like a cheap copy of Malcolm in the Middle tbh..

Looks like a cheap copy of Malcom in the Middle tbh..

Yeah, but Malcolm isn't in it

Looks like a cheap copy of Malcolm in the Middle tbh..

Yeah. At first glance but it's as close to malcom in the middle but able to be nothing like it. If that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Aye, the structure of thee episodes are really samey. It was the same problem with Peep Show in the last few seasons.
    On Yank comedies I adored Arrested Development. I keep meaning to check out Eastbound and Community though.

Yeah, but they are situation comedies. That rings true for a lot of sitcoms, they reuse situations, most have a basic template that they will use over and over. Then different characters and story elements give that template a different arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Eamo has been sensational tonight:D

Exclusives galore!

Man United signed the social network site Bebo this summer.:eek:

Kiko Macheda was on loan at Preston last year.:eek: Thats news to everyone especially Kiko and Preston.:eek:
    Anderson cost 30 million....:eek::eek::eek:

I can't hate him though, he is paid to troll the nation. Its the dream job for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Name checking shows mentioned...

Eastbound and down: Kenny MFN Powers is the man and this show is all sorts of awesomeness and sure the 6ep thing just leaves us wanting more imo and keeps it at a high standard with little filler. C4s comedys usually only have 6eps and people generally rave about Peep Show or The IT Crowd for example.

Two and a half men: I never really found this all that funny but i have watched many an episode, however a lot of that can go down to that its something i dont mind in the background and there are always super hot women on it. Charlie Sheen would be more of a ledgend imo if he didnt do this show though.

The Big Bang Theory: Didnt think id like this too much but I did give it a chance and it did grow on me and I could say the same for the real star of the show aka Sheldon.

Seinfeld & Curb: These are both classics from Mr Larry David (who is great in his recent Woody Allen movie btw) but i do agree that you probably shouldent watch too many episodes back to back as it is always the same kind of thing and the repitition can take away from the laughs and make characters like George and even Larry annoying at times.

How I Met Your Mother: I like this show especially Barneys character it must be said and imo its "the new friends" but oddly I really dont like the main character Ted Mosby. The fact that Bob Saget and not the actor who plays Ted does the voice over at the start always annoys me too for some reason. Think the guy who plays Marshall deserves a mention too as im a fan of his.

Modern family: its a great formula and there are some good characters but I honestly dont care if i see it or not but I am happy to see Ed O'Neil (Al Bundy) getting a good role again and he's good in it too of course.

Aressted Development: Its a classic and is one of if not the biggest mistake cancellation of a show I can remember.

The Offices: The Uk one broke the mold and was a classic creation of Ricky Gervais but im also a fan of the American one and its longevity giving me more of what i like although it is at times (as Ricky said the UK one would be considerd if it kept going) not at the same high standard always that its predeccesor set.

one of the most constantly improving and enjoyable shows of recent times for me too has been Chuck and its back atm too for season 4. Weeds is another one back atm which ive watched throughout and am a fan of and although again its longevity sometimes leads to a dip in standards i still enjoy it.

Anyone else watching Broadwalk Empire?

tis the newest HBO show and it stars Steve Buschemi among others. Its set during prohibition times and has a number of the head Sopranos writers/Directors on board such as Tim Van Patten and Terrence Winter plus its produced by none other than Scorcese among others. I've watched the first 2 eps now and although it seems a slow burner it has huge potential.

Anyone else watching Broadwalk Empire?

tis the newest HBO show and it stars Steve Buschemi among others. Its set during prohibition times and has a number of the head Sopranos writers/Directors on board such as Tim Van Patten and Terrence Winter plus its produced by none other than Scorcese among others. I've watched the first 2 eps now and although it seems a slow burner it has huge potential.

That sounds all kinds of awesome. I'll definitely have to check that out..

Actually whilst we're talking about North American TV Shows, this is still my all time favourite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's just a rip off of the Hardy Bucks (coming soon to RTE)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

forgot to mention Dexter is back too after the epic finale last season

It's just a rip off of the Hardy Bucks (coming soon to RTE)

Your a Hardy Bucks Rip Off you Mayo Fu*k...

*Listen to this weeks edition of the Podcast for this reference*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

forgot to mention Dexter is back too after the epic finale last season

What a show!! and the first episode of season 5 sets up nicely for what should be one hell of a series!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

CMpunked wrote: »

i want that i need that im drooling god im a nerd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I actually never liked any of those movies. Never met anyone who has agreed with me about that mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭glenjamin

gimmick wrote: »
    I actually never liked any of those movies. Never met anyone who has agreed with me about that mind.
    Now you have.

I actually hate doing this, but it has to be done.

Has anyone seen or heard from former mod Orestes in the last while? I lent him my Dynamite Kid book about a year ago give or take, and I still have not got it back. I got his phone number from another user here, and texted him after sending numberous PMs, and still no reply or book. If anyone knows the guy personally or anything, can ye please tell him sort it out?

Sorry to have to have done this, but there you go.

gimmick wrote: »
    I actually hate doing this, but it has to be done.

Has anyone seen or heard from former mod Orestes in the last while? I lent him my Dynamite Kid book about a year ago give or take, and I still have not got it back. I got his phone number from another user here, and texted him after sending numberous PMs, and still no reply or book. If anyone knows the guy personally or anything, can ye please tell him sort it out?

Sorry to have to have done this, but there you go.
    He told me he was sick of Boards and the users. He gave it up IIRC. Don't have his number though. I'd see if Monkeyfudge had his number because he used to be on the Boardscast.

Fair enough. Ta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Absolute heros of the highest order

Brilliant but what else do we expect from Galwegians :pac:

Lollerpool!

I told everybody I knew that Liverpool won't finish in the top 8.

G'wan Arsenal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

They're still gonna win I'd say lads tbh. Blackpool won't be able to defend well enough. If the Scouse get one before the 80th minute they'll win it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement