Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

some great shows mentioned here.....but i dont care that ch4 gave us the amazing black blooks or the IT crowd....they are responsible for "school of comedy" and for that they must never be forgiven!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

some great shows mentioned here.....but i dont care that ch4 gave us the amazing black blooks or the IT crowd....they are responsible for "school of comedy" and for that they must never be forgiven!!

Very true.. Those children are living proof for the reasoning behind abortion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

IT Crowd is up there with the Mighty Boosh as the most over-rated "comedy" I've ever seen. Pure ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

not really but i used to work for Transworldsport (I still dont get why we always were told to write that as 1 word) but since my time there it has become just a sky sports filler in the UK and isnt aired on channel 4 anymore iirc unless it retained its crazy early morning repeat slot but i dont think it did. Was made by IMG though and meant we worked with the other sports media magazine shows such as Futbol Mundial.

How would one go about landing a gig with a company such as them? Not particulary a sports company, but any kind of tv production company?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

CMpunked wrote: »
    How would one go about landing a gig with a company such as them? Not particulary a sports company, but any kind of tv production company?

its neigh on impossible tbh and really can be just a case of who you know if you are lucky enough to know anyone and thats even to get a sh!tty gig. Most have to go this route:

Media related degree>>>Runner making tea etc to get some experience/in the door>>>Researcher role, with a team of such researchers>>> then hopefully progress up through what your speciallity/interest is by using that experience to apply for better positions. hiring from within is very commen especially in starting positions.

Honestly I bypassed that route at first luckily as I didnt know anyone who at the time could help me and just got lucky that the huge amount of Sports background and interest I had seemed to make me atleast going by my CV at the time seem like a perfect fit for the role of a sports news desk researcher combined with my Media production degree. I actually had people just as qualified as me running errands at times for me (but mostly the other researchers/producers) at the time but then again i got in right before everything went wrong and all the cuts started and being one of the last in I was one of the first out.

It is now even harder to get low positions aswell because the only positions available are the low ones generally and people like me (not me personally) are taking them as our slightly better positions have been gotten rid of. This leaves a much harder time for thos without experience that need to get it. One keybe to have something to show people even when you dont have anything, a blog or podcast or whatever atleast shows your capability and interest should you be given an opportunity for example.

Your chances would be better if you are willing to make little or no money at the start too in order to get the much needed first bit of experience needed to get in the door. As its such experience where you will meet people you might suggest future potential work opportunities to you or indeed like to work with you again.

• Advertisement

For any lost and/or father ted fans:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

its neigh on impossible tbh and really can be just a case of who you know if you are lucky enough to know anyone and thats even to get a sh!tty gig. Most have to go this route:

Media related degree>>>Runner making tea etc to get some experience/in the door>>>Researcher role, with a team of such researchers>>> then hopefully progress up through what your speciallity/interest is by using that experience to apply for better positions. hiring from within is very commen especially in starting positions.

Honestly I bypassed that route at first luckily as I didnt know anyone who at the time could help me and just got lucky that the huge amount of Sports background and interest I had seemed to make me atleast going by my CV at the time seem like a perfect fit for the role of a sports news desk researcher combined with my Media production degree. I actually had people just as qualified as me running errands at times for me (but mostly the other researchers/producers) at the time but then again i got in right before everything went wrong and all the cuts started and being one of the last in I was one of the first out.

It is now even harder to get low positions aswell because the only positions available are the low ones generally and people like me (not me personally) are taking them as our slightly better positions have been gotten rid of. This leaves a much harder time for thos without experience that need to get it. One keybe to have something to show people even when you dont have anything, a blog or podcast or whatever atleast shows your capability and interest should you be given an opportunity for example.

Your chances would be better if you are willing to make little or no money at the start too in order to get the much needed first bit of experience needed to get in the door. As its such experience where you will meet people you might suggest future potential work opportunities to you or indeed like to work with you again.

Have you seen Charlie Brooker's take on it? Hilarious:

I'm guessing you'd be able to relate to a lot of that?

Apologies for spamming the thread with videos but i hope i can bring a bit of joy to some of you 80s, guitars, ghostbusters, ac dc fans.
    (lets be honest, who isnt?)

Enjoy :cool::)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Have you seen Charlie Brooker's take on it? Hilarious:

I'm guessing you'd be able to relate to a lot of that?

thats so fecking true!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

10/10/10 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Can't wait until 10 past 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Overrated tbh

and yesterday was the 09/10/10, and tomorrow it will be the 11/10/10.
    And the significance of the date all being the same?

None.

I think it should be held in higher esteem because it will be one of the only times were our date (the proper one) actually matches up with the american one (the arse-sideways one)

Robbie Keane is sooooooooooooooo ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Robbie Keane is sooooooooooooooo ****e

We're not exactly blessed with world class strikers to be fair.

Slovakia shouldn't but sadly will win this I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Give Doyle and Long a run together. Keane is there by reputation and nothing else.

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ Give Doyle and Long a run together. Keane is there by reputation and nothing else.

Exactly. He's not playing bad because he has no game-time. He has no game-time at Spurs because he is a 5th choice striker at best.

This thread only comes alive when a match is being played :pac:

rofl i nearly vomited this is so funny

130702.jpg

Voltwad wrote: »
    rofl i nearly vomited this is so funny

130702.jpg

A new internet meme?

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    A new internet meme?
    if you google 'I can count to potato' you'll get some answers :)

My favourite colour is Football

The Keane criticism is ridiculous. We would be screwed without his goals. I would take a below-par Keane over the on/off Reading partnership of 3 years ago.

The Keane criticism is ridiculous. We would be screwed without his goals. I would take a below-par Keane over the on/off Reading partnership of 3 years ago.
    Sure he was great for Ireland but it is sad seeing that Doyle and Long put in so much work every single match and Keane can go 45 minutes without being within 10 yards of the ball.

Sure he was great for Ireland but it is sad seeing that Doyle and Long put in so much work every single match and Keane can go 45 minutes without being within 10 yards of the ball.

I don't think that's necessarily his fault though. The central midfielders Trap picks are hopeless from a creative standpoint. Long is not that great either really imo. He's played 9 games for Reading this season and hasn't scored. I think the goal against Russia was his first of the season. Maybe he will improve but I'd have my doubts.

I don't think that's necessarily his fault though. The central midfielders Trap picks are hopeless from a creative standpoint. Long is not that great either really imo. He's played 9 games for Reading this season and hasn't scored. I think the goal against Russia was his first of the season. Maybe he will improve but I'd have my doubts.
    He's a worker. The only work Keane does is miss great chances. I do hope he improves but with his age and situation with Spurs it's hard to see him getting that chance if he stays.

Gibson is over-rated but is still better than Green. Whelan is easily beaten in midfield. Will Andrews make a difference? Doubtful. Can't see the fuss about McCarthy either.

He's a worker. The only work Keane does is miss great chances. I do hope he improves but with his age and situation with Spurs it's hard to see him getting that chance if he stays.

Gibson is over-rated but is still better than Green. Whelan is easily beaten in midfield. Will Andrews make a difference? Doubtful. Can't see the fuss about McCarthy either.

He didn't miss great chances in the last campaign. In fact, he saved our skin on plenty of occasions. If you take away the goals he scored then we wouldn't have even competed for qualification. Plus if he'd scored the penalty last night I doubt anything would have been said as it would have then been 3 goals in 3 games for him.

I think the problem with Keane is that he doesn't endear himself to people based on how he acts on the pitch. Looking for free-kicks, waving his arms about and so on. I don't like that part of his game myself but he's still the best we've got. We're a terrible country when it comes to producing strikers for some reason.

He didn't miss great chances in the last campaign. In fact, he saved our skin on plenty of occasions. If you take away the goals he scored then we wouldn't have even competed for qualification. Plus if he'd scored the penalty last night I doubt anything would have been said as it would have then been 3 goals in 3 games for him.

I think the problem with Keane is that he doesn't endear himself to people based on how he acts on the pitch. Looking for free-kicks, waving his arms about and so on. I don't like that part of his game myself but he's still the best we've got. We're a terrible country when it comes to producing strikers for some reason.
    Somebody said it best when they said he was the most frustrating player they ever saw. When he was on form he could score a hat-trick. When he was bad he was akin to a goal against you. This campaign has been bad for Ireland. We picked up the necessary wins not to be in a disaster situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Robbie was pretty poor last night but it was plainly down to his lack of gametime at Spurs.

How anyone can give a guy who has an unbelieveable 45 international goals in a team that for most of that time was pretty mediocre is beyond me. Included in that are goals against pretty much every major footballing nation in Europe too. The next best goals tally Ireland has ever had is a measley 21 or something. The English goalscoring record is 49, (even Linekar couldn't beat that) and its stood for 40 years.

He 's also in the top 10 all-time goalscorers in Premier League history and I think I'm right in saying he has more Preiership goals than any currently active player.

What more do people want FFS?

• Advertisement

To score at least one chance where he only had to keeper to beat or a penalty in a crucial match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement