Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

It would appear DBs real bday present is on its way leaving others to go without

tumblr_kxt07laXV91qb59tko1_400.jpg

happy bday man

The SES claim responsibility for that. We hoped it could give little diabhal an insight into what it's like to live a clean life. :cool:

(when the fudge is this roster thing happening?! :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know where you live CMpunked :pac:

Somewhere in Doondawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

happy bday Diabhal bai. get to the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Happy Birthday DB, steer clear of those SES lads tonight :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

You know, I really must try and make more of an effort to frequent this forum. Usually, I only pop up when house show tickets go on sale and the day after the shows. And that's stupid since my local pwb is a ceasepool of trolls and joke accounts. Maybe I'd find better debate and discussion here :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

You know, I really must try and make more of an effort to frequent this forum. Usually, I only pop up when house show tickets go on sale and the day after the shows. And that's stupid since my local pwb is a ceasepool of trolls and joke accounts. Maybe I'd find better debate and discussion here :rolleyes:

There is no try. ;)

But yeah do pop in a little more, there's a little bit of everything being discussed these days. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Belated Birthday wishes Diabhal bai, have one on me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Trolls on this forum are dealt with quickly and amusingly. Not had one in a while actually.

gimmick wrote: »
    Trolls on this forum are dealt with quickly and amusingly. Not had one in a while actually. and0

To be fair, it's a little more than amusingly. :P

Thought we were going to get one after a certain mma thread during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Since there is still 45 minutes left before it's tomorrow Happy Birthday. Overdo it.

• Advertisement

chordtype wrote: »
    Since there is still 45 minutes left before it's tomorrow Happy Birthday. Overdo it.
    I sure did

• Registered Users Posts: 86,475 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Looks like the Rooney saga is over and he is staying put at MU

^ he is world class again apparently :rolleyes:

Wonder will those tools who had the banner the other night welcome him back?

In his current form hope he stays at ManYoo forever.

I have the scoop guys. Rooney stayed because he enjoyed the thread title change and he LOL'd at my hangover.

True story.

gimmick wrote: »
    ^ he is world class again apparently :rolleyes:

Wonder will those tools who had the banner the other night welcome him back?

In his current form hope he stays at ManYoo forever.

He'll be back banging them in for fun again soon, dont you worry. :cool:

I couldn't really give a rats ass tbh. ManYoo are a spent force with or without him.

Lads have ye voted in the Irelands Greatest Person thing rte are doing? Results tonight on the late late. I voted for Collins anyway. A great man

I voted for Eugene Cloonan :pac:

The gift grub "irelands soundest person" sketch that is on their itunes is brilliant too

I want to vote for bono.

But i dont want him to win :cool:

• Advertisement

CMpunked wrote: »
    I want to vote for bono.

But i dont want him to win :cool:

Why would you want to waste 60 cent on that eejit?

The arguments presented made me think in the international field, bono stood out.

But i think instead of bono, it should have been bob geldof in his place.

The arguments presented made me think in the international field, bono stood out.

But i think instead of bono, it should have been bob geldof in his place.

Ya I agree he did great international work, but do you think Bono or Bob Geldof would have even dreamed of the chance to do that if Michael Collins hadnt won us our freedom?

Gerard.C wrote: »
    Ya I agree he did great international work, but do you think Bono or Bob Geldof would have even dreamed of the chance to do that if Michael Collins hadnt won us our freedom?

Oh no, not at all. I think he was a great man, dont get me wrong.

But with all respect, that was a thing which needed a man to stand up and rally the people behind him to overthrow an empires hold.

But geldof or bono done it looking for no reward, (im sure bono likes the limelight sometimes).

Ireland would have been a lot different of a country if collins hadnt have stepped up to the plate, but we cant just say he done it on his own. Every single other person involved at that time should've had some recognition, not just him and connolly.

As i said, i dont think bono will win, as i thought it should go to geldof.

But collins will walk it, not a shadow of doubt in that.

Oh no, not at all. I think he was a great man, dont get me wrong.

But with all respect, that was a thing which needed a man to stand up and rally the people behind him to overthrow an empires hold.

But geldof or bono done it looking for no reward, (im sure bono likes the limelight sometimes).

Ireland would have been a lot different of a country if collins hadnt have stepped up to the plate, but we cant just say he done it on his own. Every single other person involved at that time should've had some recognition, not just him and connolly.

As i said, i dont think bono will win, as i thought it should go to geldof.

But collins will walk it, not a shadow of doubt in that.

The only reward Collins ever wanted was an Irish Republic, and in the end he died for that. Collins deserves the most recognition out of all of them, imo. He was there leader. Did ya see the old interview with Dan Breen on the Collins episode? They were on opposite sides in the civil war, and Breen still said Collins was his hero.

Dya think Collins will be clear winner? It'll be interesting to see if RTE show the percentage of votes each person got.

This is why RTE is brilliant. Look what we're discussing. Not what Louis Walsh said to Cheryl Cole on the X Factor or whatever. Gwan the RTE

Dya think Collins will be clear winner? It'll be interesting to see if RTE show the percentage of votes each person got.

This is why RTE is brilliant. Look what we're discussing. Not what Louis Walsh said to Cheryl Cole on the X Factor or whatever. Gwan the RTE

Yeah i do, as i said, in the arguments presented, bono stood out for me.

But in irish territory, Collins wins with me. Put it like this, we gained so much from the sacrifice that man made, to which i am grateful.

But in this day and age, there are afican babies that have a hell of a lot better chance of living down to the actions of geldof, and in turn, bono.

Why would we be talking about louis walsh? :p
    I go on about that a fair bit on twitter on saturdays.

are they doing elimination style tonight?

Like they will say who got 5th, open the lines again for the other 4 numbers and then 15 minutes later close them, name 4th place etc etc?

Yeah i do, as i said, in the arguments presented, bono stood out for me.

But in irish territory, Collins wins with me. Put it like this, we gained so much from the sacrifice that man made, to which i am grateful.

But in this day and age, there are afican babies that have a hell of a lot better chance of living down to the actions of geldof, and in turn, bono.

Why would we be talking about louis walsh? :p
    I go on about that a fair bit on twitter on saturdays.

are they doing elimination style tonight?

Like they will say who got 5th, open the lines again for the other 4 numbers and then 15 minutes later close them, name 4th place etc etc?

Hopefully they'll do that, it'd be way better. I thought David McWilliams did a great job speaking for Mary Robinson, I wouldnt be suprised if she came second based on McWilliams himself.

Its win-win really. At the end of the day, they're all Irish :cool:

Hopefully they'll do that, it'd be way better. I thought David McWilliams did a great job speaking for Mary Robinson, I wouldnt be suprised if she came second based on McWilliams himself.

Its win-win really. At the end of the day, they're all Irish :cool:

I hated mcwilliams on the panel, but the guy is really good speaker/thinker.

Hope they give him that government job (or was it one of the other parties wanted him as an adviser?) He has some sensible ideas.

Im calling it like this:

5. Hume
    4. Connolly
    3. Bono
    2. Robinson
    1. Collins

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Collins will win it comfortably but there is a lot of historically inaccurate tripe written about him, and that terrible movie by Neil Jordan didn't help matters. I was disappointed that the McDowell episode had the quote supposedly by de Valera 'In the fullness of time I will be judged at Collins's expense etc' which was also at the end of the Michael Collins movie.

I have a background in history and was told by a lecturer in UCD that pretty much no historian believes that quote to be genuine. It comes from Tim Pat Coogan, the guy who wrote one book praising Collins and another one bashing de Valera, and according to this lecturer Coogan has never been able to accurately substantiate that supposed Dev quote, and many historians regard it as BS.

In my opinion the greatest Irishman ever is Tom Crean. There is a fantastic book about him which is available in most stores. Think it's called Unsung Hero or something. The things that man did for his friends are incredible and how there has not been a movie about his life I do not know. Check out the book if you come across it. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I thought it was a joke he wasn't even nominated for this and yet chancers like Charlie Haughey were listed.

• Advertisement

Collins will win it comfortably but there is a lot of historically inaccurate tripe written about him, and that terrible movie by Neil Jordan didn't help matters. I was disappointed that the McDowell episode had the quote supposedly by de Valera 'In the fullness of time I will be judged at Collins's expense etc' which was also at the end of the Michael Collins movie.

I have a background in history and was told by a lecturer in UCD that pretty much no historian believes that quote to be genuine. It comes from Tim Pat Coogan, the guy who wrote one book praising Collins and another one bashing de Valera, and according to this lecturer Coogan has never been able to accurately substantiate that supposed Dev quote, and many historians regard it as BS.

In my opinion the greatest Irishman ever is Tom Crean. There is a fantastic book about him which is available in most stores. Think it's called Unsung Hero or something. The things that man did for his friends are incredible and how there has not been a movie about his life I do not know. Check out the book if you come across it. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I thought it was a joke he wasn't even nominated for this and yet chancers like Charlie Haughey were listed.

There was a play doing the rounds a year or two ago about Tom Crean, I never got to it myself but it was supposed to have been brilliant.

I thought the biggest ommission from the top 5 was Daniel O Connell, surely he has done a bit more for us than Bono?

By the by, did ye see the top ten? The other 5 were Philo Lynnott, Stephen Gately, Dr. Noel Brown, Adi Roche and the bauld Paddy Pearse.

Stephen Gately has done more for us than Daniel O Connell. Right ya

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement