Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Gerard.C wrote: »
    By the by, did ye see the top ten? The other 5 were Philo Lynnott, Stephen Gately, Dr. Noel Brown, Adi Roche and the bauld Paddy Pearse.

Stephen Gately has done more for us than Daniel O Connell. Right ya

No way!

I wouldve voted for Lynnott if he was in it :(

I dont want to cause offense, but what did Gately do more than any of the other members of boyzone?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

There was a play doing the rounds a year or two ago about Tom Crean, I never got to it myself but it was supposed to have been brilliant.

I thought the biggest ommission from the top 5 was Daniel O Connell, surely he has done a bit more for us than Bono?

By the by, did ye see the top ten? The other 5 were Philo Lynnott, Stephen Gately, Dr. Noel Brown, Adi Roche and the bauld Paddy Pearse.

Stephen Gately has done more for us than Daniel O Connell. Right ya

Yeah there are a lot of great people from before the 20th century that don't seem to be there. Oscar Wilde is another one. He was one of the greatest literary minds of his day. It's as if Irish people only came around in the 20th century. :pac:

There's a great documentary on Collins on Youtube called 'Hang Up Your Brightest Colours'. It was made by the BBC in the seventies but they refused to screen it until the nineties because I guess it was considered to be too favourable to Irish republicanism and too critical of the British. It's worth checking out though because the Welsh guy who presents it, Kenneth Griffith, presents it almost like a Shakespearean actor with really dramatic gestures and voices and he absolutely slates the British.

I prefer old-school documentaries like this because it's the days before Hollywood, Neil Jordan and Tim Pat Coogan got their hands on Collins's memory.

CMpunked wrote: »
    No way!

I dont want to cause offense, but what did Gately do more than any of the other members of boyzone?

Gave young Irish people the courage to come out as being gay apparantly. I know a few gay lads. They dont mention his inspiration often would you believe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

No way!

He was the gay one. Only ever got recognition outside of the group for coming out of the closet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Die young. Can anyone honestly say that he'd be anywhere near the top of this list if he hadn't died?

This should have been called Ireland's Most Popular Public Figure rather than Greatest.

anybody watching this new show the event?

Looks good. Kinda lost-ish.

God i miss lost. :(

Let us know if it's any good. I've it set to record.

Anyone see Boardwalk Empire yet? 2 episodes in and it's already great. This new Sky station with all the HBO content is going to be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I've already watched the first few episodes and it's intriguing.

I've already watched the first few episodes and it's intriguing.

It is.
    I love those sort of split-timeline kind of dramas, where not everything is linear.
    It was done to death about 10 years ago but since lost im had a certain appreciation for it when its done right. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

chordtype wrote: »
    Let us know if it's any good. I've it set to record.

Anyone see Boardwalk Empire yet? 2 episodes in and it's already great. This new Sky station with all the HBO content is going to be amazing.

What channel is that boss? And when does it launch? HBO > Anything

What channel is that boss? And when does it launch? HBO > Anything

Sky Atlantic. Launching early next year. Potentially the greatest channel ever. The Wire, Mad Men, Treme and not to mention the Sopranos.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sky_Atlantic

Michael Cole's GONG making an appearance on the Late Late.

That gong is stupid.

I wonder who messed with the sound? Joe Duffy up to his old tricks again maybe :pac:

McWilliams is such a douche IMO.

New Channel4 idents.
    'bout time.

WowWowWowWow...

Miriams little thank you speech won that for him. Cant believe big Mick didnt win

I voted for Hume. Yay me.

5. Hume
    4. Connolly
    3. Bono
    2. Robinson
    1. Collins

Looks like i got this in reverse!! :eek::eek:

Miriams little thank you speech won that for him. Cant believe big Mick didnt win

What did she say?

Man i hate that woman. Voice goes through me like the luas.

• Advertisement

Why does MiriAM, alway break up her sentanCES, and just before she pauSES, raises her voiCE, like shes asking a questION

When you think about it people were as much voting for the person that presented the documentary as they were for the actual nominee. MOC is for some reason really popular.

What did she say?

Man i hate that woman. Voice goes through me like the luas.

She said that Ireland never really said thank you to Hume and that this was their opportunity to say thanks after we kind of forgot about him.

Hume won did he? Surprised at that. I'd say the Northern vote won it for him if they were allowed to vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

chordtype wrote: »
    When you think about it people were as much voting for the person that presented the documentary as they were for the actual nominee. MOC is for some reason really popular.
    Her tits won the competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Why does MiriAM, alway break up her sentanCES, and just before she pauSES, raises her voiCE, like shes asking a questION

Its a common problem on the south side of our capital I'm afraid, LOIKE?

Collins will win it comfortably but there is a lot of historically inaccurate tripe written about him, and that terrible movie by Neil Jordan didn't help matters. I was disappointed that the McDowell episode had the quote supposedly by de Valera 'In the fullness of time I will be judged at Collins's expense etc' which was also at the end of the Michael Collins movie.

I have a background in history and was told by a lecturer in UCD that pretty much no historian believes that quote to be genuine. It comes from Tim Pat Coogan, the guy who wrote one book praising Collins and another one bashing de Valera, and according to this lecturer Coogan has never been able to accurately substantiate that supposed Dev quote, and many historians regard it as BS.

In my opinion the greatest Irishman ever is Tom Crean. There is a fantastic book about him which is available in most stores. Think it's called Unsung Hero or something. The things that man did for his friends are incredible and how there has not been a movie about his life I do not know. Check out the book if you come across it. Can't recommend it highly enough.

I thought it was a joke he wasn't even nominated for this and yet chancers like Charlie Haughey were listed.

The Tom Crean play is absolutely f*cking epic. I've seen it twice. What a hero of a man, toughest bastard I've ever heard tell of. To think we used to produce men like that, and nowadays we vote for Stephen Gately in our top 10 Greatest Irishmen. Sometimes I think this country deserves the recession just for the shower of c*nts we've become.

flahavaj wrote: »
    The Tom Crean play is absolutely f*cking epic. I've seen it twice. What a hero of a man, toughest bastard I've ever heard tell of. To think we used to produce men like that, and nowadays we vote for Stephen Gately in our top 10 Greatest Irishmen. Sometimes I think this country deserves the recession just for the shower of c*nts we've become.

Haven't seen the play but I wish I had. Sounds like something I'd love. Is it still going? I love the fact that after his adventures Crean just returned home and opened up a pub and shied away from talking about his exploits. Brave as well as modest. A real man's man. To think of the age we live in now where Irish 'celebs' are spread across the pages incessantly for doing little or nothing. Sad stuff.

Haven't seen the play but I wish I had. Sounds like something I'd love. Is it still going? I love the fact that after his adventures Crean just returned home and opened up a pub and shied away from talking about his exploits. Brave as well as modest. A real man's man. To think of the age we live in now where Irish 'celebs' are spread across the pages incessantly for doing little or nothing. Sad stuff.

Its so popular it'll be back for another run I'm sure. Its unreal. Yer man acts it all on his own. Some of the stuff he describes is unbelieveable, the feats of sheer endurance and bravery he went through to safe his fellow explorers at one stage and as you say his pure modesty throughout. I'd recommend it to anyone. It should be on the Leaving Cert, if only to teach young people there's more to life than the X Factor and Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Woof woof woof woof woof woof woof

That is all for now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement