Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,097 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I know this may sound hypocritical complaining from a internet forum but bear with me...:pac:

I can't stand TV or radio shows where people read out generic dour Text messages. They are never interesting and are pointless as they have no context. Why should I care if Ken from Leitrim thinks somebody is rubbish? Seriously it is infuriating especially when it is news, as its always akward for the presenters reading reading them and they are and worthless and rubbish:mad:.
    [/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I know this may sound hypocritical complaining from a internet forum but bear with me...:pac:

I can't stand TV or radio shows where people read out generic dour Text messages. They are never interesting and are pointless as they have no context. Why should I care if Ken from Leitrim thinks somebody is rubbish? Seriously it is infuriating especially when it is news, as its always akward for the presenters reading reading them and they are and worthless and rubbish:mad:.
    [/rant]

Any particular experience your referring too or just in general?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Good win for Galway United

CMpunked wrote: »
    Any particular experience your referring too or just in general?

In general really. I was reminded of it watching TV3 showing the Man U game earlier. The girl read out some text messages, she looked akward as hell.Its the same anytime I listen to the radio really, you may get an occasional gem but its mainly banal rubbish. Its something that irritates me a little. :pac:

I've sent a few texts in to midday (the tv3 crow fest) to ruffle some feathers a few times.
    it makes the whole thing just that little more entertaining. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

Neil Prendeville blamed a mixture of alcohol and painkillers for his failure to remember an incident in which he exposed himself and masturbated in his seat

sanctimonious tosser

*googles Neil Prendeville*

Great story. Blamed it on neurofen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Alcohol, painkillers, planes and masturbation.

Sounds like he had a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Meh, we have all been tempted to whip it out in front of a stewardess :D

• Advertisement

Ive just realised ive lost a ticket to something coming up..

WhaDoIDoWhaDoIDoWhaDoIDoWhaDoIDo?!!

This ever happen to anyone before?
    Whats ticketmasters policy on (potentially destroyed) tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Ive just realised ive lost a ticket to something coming up..

WhaDoIDoWhaDoIDoWhaDoIDoWhaDoIDo?!!

This ever happen to anyone before?
    Whats ticketmasters policy on (potentially destroyed) tickets?

call ticketmaster.....tell them the tickets are lost, they will print duplicate tickets for you (with the word "duplicate" stamped on them nmaking you originals null and void) then you have to go to the box office of the venue in question with the credit card you booked the tickets with and they will give you your duplicates!

if you didnt pay by CC, just do the same hting...call them,. go to box office with photo id, then youll be grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

You better preach the Straight Edge message if I don't go;)

Do you mind me asking do you literally choose to not drink because of CM Punk on TV or had you been straight-edge before he arrived in WWE?

I drink myself, I'm Just wondering

johnn wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking do you literally choose to not drink because of CM Punk on TV or had you been straight-edge before he arrived in WWE?

I myself ( i know the question wasnt directed at me but as part of the SES (:cool:) i feel obliged to answer.) dont because it stems from beliefs i have had since i was younger, along with family reasons and then i dont really care to much for "pub culture". actually that might be a little untrue, i love getting together with a few heads and having a bitta banter and being social, but the whole attitude of drink=good time never appealed to me.

In regards to CM Punk, i think as lifestyle choices go he is probably who i would be most similar to in that sense, so no he hasnt affected my decision on the matter at all.
    Infact on this forum in particular its a bit of fun to poke into something and put up some ses logo or something when someones talking about drink.
    I wouldnt do it anywhere else, like other forums.
    Nor do i let drink change my opinion of anyone either. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

I myself ( i know the question wasnt directed at me but as part of the SES (:cool:) i feel obliged to answer.) dont because it stems from beliefs i have had since i was younger, along with family reasons and then i dont really care to much for "pub culture". actually that might be a little untrue, i love getting together with a few heads and having a bitta banter and being social, but the whole attitude of drink=good time never appealed to me.

In regards to CM Punk, i think as lifestyle choices go he is probably who i would be most similar to in that sense, so no he hasnt affected my decision on the matter at all.
    Infact on this forum in particular its a bit of fun to poke into something and put up some ses logo or something when someones talking about drink.
    I wouldnt do it anywhere else, like other forums.
    Nor do i let drink change my opinion of anyone either. :)

that's fair enough, ive been on a few forums where they are over the top CM Punk marks and it is fairly evident that he is the only reason for it, as if it proves they are a better fan of his than others or something by being straight-edge.

I always thought Punk wasn't actually straight-edge, i know that he doesn't drink or do drugs, but i always thought one of the other things was retraining from promiscuity & i'm fairly sure ive heard he's been with almost half the wwe diva locker room!

Im gonna reply at the off topic thread. :pac:

that's fair enough, ive been on a few forums where they are over the top CM Punk marks and it is fairly evident that he is the only reason for it, as if it proves they are a better fan of his than others or something by being straight-edge.

I always thought Punk wasn't actually straight-edge, i know that he doesn't drink or do drugs, but i always thought one of the other things was retraining from promiscuity & i'm fairly sure ive heard he's been with almost half the wwe diva locker room!

Theres loads of stuff, like not eating red meats or something but i'm sure you cant do weight training and stuff without eating some, or something..
    I can kinda understand some punk fans adapting straight edge, or at least they say they have, maybe to feel as if they have something that connects them to a wrestler.
    Essentially the same idea as raising an eyebrow to impersonate the rock, using catchphrases, taunts or whatever, saying your straight edge could be somewhere along those lines i guess.

ive been on a few forums where they are over the top CM Punk marks and it is fairly evident that he is the only reason for it

Yeah, but what age group are you talking about?

I used to post on WrestlingFigs forums a lot a few years ago and the amount of Straight Edge people was amazing. It's only when you realise that a vast majority of the people stating they're Straight Edge are about 12 or 13 that you realise it's not that big of an issue.

I can't imagine many (or any) regular drinkers, who are adults, turning away from the drink solely for CM Punk fandom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Does not drinking/not taking drugs make one "straight edge" nowadays? Pretty sure there is more to it that that.

From Wiki;

Straight Edge refers to a subculture of hardcore punk, which was a direct reaction to the sexual revolution, hedonism, and excess associated with punk rock. In its simplest form, straight edge is a philosophy of staying clean and sober: meaning refraining from using alcohol, tobacco, and any other recreational drugs. For some, this extends to not engaging in promiscuous sex, following a vegetarian or vegan diet, not using caffeine or prescription drugs. The term was coined by the 1980s hardcore punk band Minor Threat in the song "Straight Edge".

Though, if I'm correct, I believe Minor Threat eventually clarified that they reckon you don't need to be a non-drinker, non-smoker, etc. to be "straight edge", but that it's more about just not falling to peer pressure, and living your own life, etc.

I wouldn't be much of a drinker myself, nor would i touch drugs, smoke, etc. but I wouldn't ever call myself Straight Edge. Much like, despite having no belief whatsoever in any kind of God or such, I still wouldn't call myself Atheist. I think such terms are quite tacky or something.

(That said, I do have CM Punk hoodies and wristbands and such with the Fists logo and Straight Edge logo etc. but I wear them because I think they look pretty cool more than anything else.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Just bought myself "the Big Four" dvd, football manager 2011, and the first series of the ricky gervais show on dvd.

Gonna be a good weekend!!

Me like

Erdinger_Hefeweizen_lage.jpg

I have decided too stop drinking flavorless muck like Bud.

What other good foreign drinks should I be consuming lads?:)

Me like

Erdinger is piss. Way worse than Bud. I would recommend Tiger beer. V nice.

Lads there's a storm coming...................................

And his name is Fernando!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Buckfast is from England. That's foreign. Drink Buckfast.

I can't really give advice on this. I haven't drank beer, larger or cider in about 2 years. Straight to the spirits for me cause I'm an idiot.

Although I have heard people say that the Brasserie stuff that you get in Aldi is surprisingly good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Me like

I like Erdinger. Bud is p*sswater.

Perroni is savage, Italian beer. Not that pricey in Tesco's Off Licence either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

Me like

Erdinger is a fine drink- try and go for their Oktoberfest, or Christmas beers though- they're awesome.

Warsteiner and Franziskaner are also spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Anyone here born on the same day as someone famous? Or someone famous die on the day you were born? Or any historic event happen?

I was born on the same day as Vedad Ibisevic (Bosnian footballer), and my missus was born on the same day as Zinedine Zidane.

And I know that Richard Burton died the day before I was born because i'm named after him.

Check using Wikipedia, type in day and month, and there is Events, Births, and Deaths listed in chronological order. :cool:

Erdinger is a fine drink- try and go for their Oktoberfest, or Christmas beers though- they're awesome.

Warsteiner and Franziskaner are also spectacular.

Available in all good and bad off licenses?

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭StoneColdFan

Charisteas wrote: »
    Anyone here born on the same day as someone famous? Or someone famous die on the day you were born? Or any historic event happen?

I was born on the same day as Vedad Ibisevic (Bosnian footballer), and my missus was born on the same day as Zinedine Zidane.

And I know that Richard Burton died the day before I was born because i'm named after him.

Check using Wikipedia, type in day and month, and there is Events, Births, and Deaths listed in chronological order. :cool:

i was born on the same day as R-Truth,Pat Patterson & Dolly Parton :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Charisteas wrote: »

I share my birthday with the bauld Paddy Pearse. Also with Jens Lehmann, Faustino Asprilla and Patrick Berger. And Josh Barnett. My birthday is also the cry of independence day in Panama. Let it be known

It doesnt say it on wiki, but the day I was born the Berlin wall was knocked. I take full credit for re-uniting Germany

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement