Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I sure as hell did not. Its a policy of mine not to vote for fúckwits.

The only problem I have regarding upping the price of fags is that it will just lead to more being bought illegally, and no money goes into the exchequer. As it is already 1 in 4 boxes of fags are not duty paid.

The one regarding booze is not so hard to understand. Teens aint drinking in pubs, generally speaking anyway. The like sof Tesco and their "below cost selling" is at fault here, and it is completely unpreventable. There is nothing in the world to styop an older brother bring beer back home for his younger brothers and sisters and so on. Only way to stop that is ban below cost selling and I cannot see that happening anytime soon. Was it not tried to be stamped out already?

Re transportation, that is very easy for a person living in Dublin to say when ye lot have the DART and an excellent bus system. We do not have these so called luxuries elsewhere in the country, therefore a car is neccessary if you live more than a few miles from work. Your point is valid though - the infrastruture and transportaion systems should be far better throughout the country, not just Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

gimmick wrote: »
    I sure as hell did not. Its a policy of mine not to vote for fúckwits.

Congratulations, you've ruled out every political party in the country. Your star prize is an ass raping from the default government.
    The only problem I have regarding upping the price of fags is that it will just lead to more being bought illegally, and no money goes into the exchequer. As it is already 1 in 4 boxes of fags are not duty paid.

A problem that has been rife for decades, you're only giving out about it now?
    The one regarding booze is not so hard to understand. Teens aint drinking in pubs, generally speaking anyway. The like sof Tesco and their "below cost selling" is at fault here, and it is completely unpreventable. There is nothing in the world to styop an older brother bring beer back home for his younger brothers and sisters and so on. Only way to stop that is ban below cost selling and I cannot see that happening anytime soon. Was it not tried to be stamped out already?

I think you're grasping at straws there. Granted that may be the case some of the time, but there are pubs all over the country that are serving to teens as young as 13. In almost EVERY county. So Tesco's and ron dodgy bars selling the cans over the counter are not entirely to blame.
    Re transportation, that is very easy for a person living in Dublin to say when ye lot have the DART and an excellent bus system. We do not have these so called luxuries elsewhere in the country, therefore a car is neccessary if you live more than a few miles from work. Your point is valid though - the infrastruture and transportaion systems should be far better throughout the country, not just Dublin.

You clearly don't know Dublin that well. I have lived in Dublin for over three decades, and not once has there been a DART line close by to where I have lived. The DART serves about 1/3 of Dublin, a few selected stops that are the chosen few. And our bus system is far from excellent. There is a big difference between frequency and quality. Come up and live and work in Dublin for a summer. Have great fun explaining to your boss three times a week that your "regular" bus didn't bother showing up because the lazy git in the garage couldn't two craps abouit his job.

I understand in rural areas a car may be essential. However in some places i've seen between 3-5 cars parked in a driveway? Got cop on? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Oh please, in fairness, most people spend about three times that amount on booze, nightclub entries and taxis in one night on a weekend in these "hard times". The yanks have it worse having to fork out about 50 dollars over there.

And if you think times are hard now? Don't turn on the TV, radio or look at a newspaper today, Cowen's second mini budget in six months is to be announced.

I said that with half a tongue in cheek tbh, but really, I mean it. Not trying to turn this thread into something other than wrestling but these are hard times for me man, I got a pay cut at the start of the year, I’m only two years into a mortage, 18 months married and have two kids, the youngest of which is 8 months, I struggle to make ends meet out of my wage packet every month really. And I’m very aware there’s a budget announcement today! Everyone needs their little luxuries to stop from going mad fair enough (for me these haven’t included too many night clubs or taxi lately!) and I’ve forked out in the past for ppv’s like everyone else, but the point I was making was, for me, this card was not an incentive to do so. I can find other things to spend €22 on, and I don’t mean drink either.

D-FENS wrote: »
    I said that with half a tongue in cheek tbh, but really, I mean it. Not trying to turn this thread into something other than wrestling but these are hard times for me man, I got a pay cut at the start of the year, I’m only two years into a mortage, 18 months married and have two kids, the youngest of which is 8 months, I struggle to make ends meet out of my wage packet every month really. And I’m very aware there’s a budget announcement today! Everyone needs their little luxuries to stop from going mad fair enough (for me these haven’t included too many night clubs or taxi lately!) and I’ve forked out in the past for ppv’s like everyone else, but the point I was making was, for me, this card was not an incentive to do so. I can find other things to spend €22 on, and I don’t mean drink either.

With all due respect, those aren't hard times. Moving to Off topic for obvious reasons because if we were face to face, i'd probably be on the verge of strangling you!

- You had to take a pay cut, boo hoo! I'm 7 months out of a job in a sinking enviornment, you're getting no sympathy from me there.

- A lot of the country is struggling, including those of us who DONT have a job that also have mortgages (i'm into my 3rd year, thankfully we're managing cos we're not up to our snot in debt)

- Nobody NEEDS luxuries, people just want them to keep up with the jones. People do need basic requirements like food, bills paid and a roof over the head. Thats about it, the rest are optional extras. You want to stop yourself from going insane, bring the family to the park and spend time with each other and keep yourselves sane. Seriously, because when the government don't give a rats about you, your loved ones are all you have left.

Food for thought, doesn't look to tempting sitting there, but when you're hungry and theres f*ck all else left...

As regards alcohol. The price of that stuff has gone up and up. Oddly enough, the statistics of teenage of binge drinking have done too. Seeing a disturbing pattern there?

What is the pattern then? I can't see the point you are trying to make.
    A problem that has been rife for decades, you're only giving out about it now?

Not as much as it is now. Dress it up however you wish, but that is a fact.

And tbh, I do see D-Fens point. people become accustomed to a standard of living. That is not keeping up with the jones'. True what you say, as long as you have aroof over your head and your health etc, everything is a luxury. But by that logic, I should be happy to be rehoused to something on the social if things went tits up for me.

• Advertisement

What is the pattern then? I can't see the point you are trying to make.

The price of drink has always gone up. You're delusional if you think otherwise. And now matter how much it goes up, this country of sheep will still keep buying it.
    Not as much as it is now. Dress it up however you wish, but that is a fact.

I'm not dressing it up, you're the one who's ommitting facts. If a fact is a fact, then you should practice what you preach, pal.
    And tbh, I do see D-Fens point. people become accustomed to a standard of living. That is not keeping up with the jones'. True what you say, as long as you have aroof over your head and your health etc, everything is a luxury. But by that logic, I should be happy to be rehoused to something on the social if things went tits up for me.

Yeah we do, but when economists are telling us from as early as TWO years ago to prepare for it, and half the country guzzles their pints back and laughs, don't expect me to feel sorry for them. I did exactly that, i prepared.

I didn't buy a 500k 3 bedroom place just because of the number on the end of my address, i only bought stuff that i knew i would have to show for it, i saved as much as i could, and the second i lost my job, instead of moping around the house, i went back to college at night to give myself more options for when the government eventually bail us out.

I'm not saying i'm better than anyone, i'm not. I'm saying i was better prepared because people saw it coming, unfortunately a lot of people laughed at the warning signs and are paying for it now. It's an ugly situation, but we have had it a LOT worse this time 25 years ago, trust me, i saw it as a kid.

I did not omit any facts, buddy. Merely stated what the case is at the moment. At the moment is what matters right now.
    The price of drink has always gone up. You're delusional if you think otherwise. And now matter how much it goes up, this country of sheep will still keep buying it.

I never said it hadn't. But pub trade is well down in the last few years. Whether that is due to the price of booze, or the smoking ban is open to debate.

I did not omit any facts, buddy. Merely stated what the case is at the moment. At the moment is what matters right now.

Citing only one place selling alcohol at a low cost is omitting a lot of facts to me. Blaming one chain of stores is actually downright ignorant as well, when you know as well as I do that there are more places to blame.
    I never said it hadn't. But pub trade is well down in the last few years. Whether that is due to the price of booze, or the smoking ban is open to debate.

Club trade is still booming! There's still queues of people outside smoking away and puking up outside the doors. Mind you, they could be all suffering chronic heartburn, but i somehow doubt that.

FFS, cited one place by saying "The likes of", which by implication means there are others doing similar.
    Club trade is still booming! There's still queues of people outside smoking away and puking up outside the doors. Mind you, they could be all suffering chronic heartburn, but i somehow doubt that.

Never mentioned clubs. However, I do know that clubs are not doing as well down here as what they were in previous years. I cannot sepak for other places. And even at that people seem to be going out later than what they used a few years back.

FFS, cited one place by saying "The likes of", which by implication means there are others doing similar.

Calm down lad. Just saying your statement wasn't entirely factual. It wasn't.
    Never mentioned clubs. However, I do know that clubs are not doing as well down here as what they were in previous years. I cannot sepak for other places. And even at that people seem to be going out later than what they used a few years back.

You fail to mention one big contributor about people not going to pubs and clubs as regular, and it has nothing to do with either the smoking ban or the price of booze going, and that's the rapidly increasing crime rate. A lot of people no longer feel as safe going out anymore.

Again, that's country-wide too.

• Advertisement

If I was to be entirely factual I would need to name every off license chain and supermarket in the country. You knew what I meant in the opening gambit, so you are nit picking to say the least.

Re the crime thing, I must say that is a new one on me. I have never heard of anyone saying "I cannot/will not go out as I may be mugged/my house may be ransacked". Then I may be a tad sheltered in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

With all due respect, those aren't hard times. Moving to Off topic for obvious reasons because if we were face to face, i'd probably be on the verge of strangling you!

- You had to take a pay cut, boo hoo! I'm 7 months out of a job in a sinking enviornment, you're getting no sympathy from me there.

- A lot of the country is struggling, including those of us who DONT have a job that also have mortgages (i'm into my 3rd year, thankfully we're managing cos we're not up to our snot in debt)

- Nobody NEEDS luxuries, people just want them to keep up with the jones. People do need basic requirements like food, bills paid and a roof over the head. Thats about it, the rest are optional extras. You want to stop yourself from going insane, bring the family to the park and spend time with each other and keep yourselves sane. Seriously, because when the government don't give a rats about you, your loved ones are all you have left.

Food for thought, doesn't look to tempting sitting there, but when you're hungry and theres f*ck all else left...

I wasn’t looking for sympathy at all, I know there's a lot worse than me, only said what I said to justify why I find these times hard. And I’m sorry, I’m not a typical whiner on this subject, I d usually just get on with it, but I do find them hard, I’m a young dad, I worry about making ends meet for my kids more than anything else, and, I am somewhat in debt and have been since before the “recession”. Not sure how you can't call times hard when you're unemployed for 7 months with a mortgage, but tbh, that's your business, if you're managing, your managing, fair play to you and I’m not taking the pi$$ when I say that. I'm managing too, just about, wasn’t trying to imply that if I ordered 'mania I’d have to hang this week's used tea bags out on the clothesline for future use :), just that I’ve much more important things to spend money on at the moment than a cr*p wrestling ppv, that was it.

Also, you're right, no one needs luxuries, but I did say little luxuries, like a book, cd, 6 pack of beer, or a wrestling ppv (If it's actually going to entertain you and be worth getting), and everyone including people with responsibilities to others like me, deserve to treat themselves now and then, that’s all. And personally, I’ve never bought anything to keep up with the Jones, I buy things that I know I’ll enjoy, for me or for my family, I’ve never been in the least bit materialistic. I also don’t relay on these things to stay sane, I meant that in general terms, wasn’t applying that comment to myself personally at all. As you say, family is what keeps me going too, and I spend as much quality time with them as I can, I’m off work all next week for the school’s Easter holidays to do so, but thanks for the tip! (And i love the park, go down to the one in Lucan most weekends, just a pity i'm usaully worn out from running around quicker than you can say larda$$ :D )

What a day, all I have been doing so far is arguing. Though at work they are called discussions.

D-FENS wrote: »
    I wasn’t looking for sympathy at all, I know there's a lot worse than me, only said what I said to justify why I find these times hard. And I’m sorry, I’m not a typical whiner on this subject, I d usually just get on with it, but I do find them hard, I’m a young dad, I worry about making ends meet for my kids more than anything else, and, I am somewhat in debt and have been since before the “recession”. Not sure how you can't call times hard when you're unemployed for 7 months with a mortgage, but tbh, that's your business, if you're managing, your managing, fair play to you and I’m not taking the pi$$ when I say that. I'm managing too, just about, wasn’t trying to imply that if I ordered 'mania I’d have to hang this week's used tea bags out on the clothesline for future use :), just that I’ve much more important things to spend money on at the moment than a cr*p wrestling ppv, that was it.

Also, you're right, no one needs luxuries, but I did say little luxuries, like a book, cd, 6 pack of beer, or a wrestling ppv (If it's actually going to entertain you and be worth getting), and everyone including people with responsibilities to others like me, deserve to treat themselves now and then, that’s all. And personally, I’ve never bought anything to keep up with the Jones, I buy things that I know I’ll enjoy, for me or for my family, I’ve never been in the least bit materialistic. I also don’t relay on these things to stay sane, I meant that in general terms, wasn’t applying that comment to myself personally at all. As you say, family is what keeps me going too, and I spend as much quality time with them as I can, I’m off work all next week for the school’s Easter holidays to do so, but thanks for the tip! (And i love the park, go down to the one in Lucan most weekends, just a pity i'm usaully worn out from running around quicker than you can say larda$$ :D )

I'll reply to this in more detail as I'm 1) done with gimmick and 2) about to leg it out the door, something I was supposed to do about 30 minutes ago lol. As i said to you via PM, it wasn't personal at all, I'm just tired of hearing this story from most people who laughed when they saw the warning signs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

This is the thing. You can't put it up every single time or else people will stop buying them. I bought my first pack of Irish fags this weekend in around 6 months and that's only because my American ones were at home. I will not be buying anymore here unless I have to. It's become blatantly obvious that they government don't have a glass ceiling on the price of fags when they definitely should. You see the price in Europe, in richer countries with a higher minimum wage like Denmark and Norway and you can't justify 8.55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Does Dunphy truly believe the sh*te he spouts on RTE or is he just looking for a reaction?:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

flahavaj wrote: »
    Does Dunphy truly believe the sh*te he spouts on RTE or is he just looking for a reaction?:pac:

Looking for a reaction. Its RTE's style, in rugby they have Hook and in gaa they are bringing back spillane to do the same antagonistic role.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Looking for a reaction. Its RTE's style, in rugby they have Hook and in gaa they are bringing back spillane to do the same antagonistic role.

And Loughnane. God I love listening to that man talk hurling. Him and Duignan: "Ah Ger there was nothing in that, just a bit of high spirits." This after two lads have flaked seven shades of shi*e out of each other right in front of the camera. Roll on the Summer.

I've a bad feeling for United tonight. They're woefully out of form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I've a bad feeling for United tonight. They're woefully out of form.

Solid start for United :cool:

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Solid start for United :cool:

They've been scutter. They've been gifted an equaliser that they don't deserve one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

1-1 :( Lucho Gonzalez is looking good

And Loughnane. God I love listening to that man talk hurling. Him and Duignan: "Ah Ger there was nothing in that, just a bit of high spirits." This after two lads have flaked seven shades of shi*e out of each other right in front of the camera. Roll on the Summer.
    Loughnane is a joke as he proved managing Galway. But Spillane :D

Loughnane is a joke as he proved managing Galway. But Spillane :D

He was a disaster for Galway yes. But a joke? Any man who brings two All Irelands to a county that were a laufghing stock for 80 odd years and inspired the smaller counties to rise up against the established order is no joke. The passion with which he speaks about the game is so infectious.

I may be way off the mark but are you a Tipp man?;)

How can you put a man on a panel who has proven that he can kill any team with momentum.

Anthony Daly though :D What a man

How can you put a man on a panel who has proven that he can kill any team with momentum.

Anthony Daly though :D What a man
    Ah, sorry about the Tipp thing, blind as a bat so I am. I take it the consensus in Galway is that he's a waste of space now, then? Have to say the players have to take some of the blame for their failures the last 3 years. I was down in Thurles in the Cork game and if even one of their forwards aside from Canning had bothered to show up ye'd have beaten them. I felt so sorry for Joe that day, he was sensational and was let down by lads with buckets more experience than he.

As for Dalo, love the guy. Savage enthusiasm. Just the right kind of guy to bring on the sport in Dublin.

On a different note this is the worst United have played in Europe since God knows when.

Long day, a lot of exercise, stressful and I need sleep.
    D-FENS, i will respond tomorrow. :)

Ah, sorry about the Tipp thing, blind as a bat so I am. I take it the consensus in Galway is that he's a waste of space now, then? Have to say the players have to take some of the blame for their failures the last 3 years. I was down in Thurles in the Cork game and if even one of their forwards aside from Canning had bothered to show up ye'd have beaten them. I felt so sorry for Joe that day, he was sensational and was let down by lads with buckets more experience than he.

As for Dalo, love the guy. Savage enthusiasm. Just the right kind of guy to bring on the sport in Dublin.

On a different note this is the worst United have played in Europe since God knows when.
    I agree with ya. Ger wasn't getting the best out of the team because the players and the county board wanted him out.

Joe Canning will have his day for Galway soon ;)

I agree with ya. Ger wasn't getting the best out of the team because the players and the county board wanted him out.

Joe Canning will have his day for Galway soon ;)

I'd love to see ye win one. That kid has some talent. he was unreal in the Club Semi against Ballyhale.

Sadly with the current KK team, no-ones going to have a day in the next 3-4 years except them.:mad:

Late equaliser by Porto, suicidal defending.

• Advertisement

We all would but Killkenny are far too strong this year. They really don't have a weak team do they?

What county are you from if ya don't mind me asking? You have a great knowledge of sport.

Porto didn't pussy away from United. They deserved the draw at the very least.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement