Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Happy Birthday Glenjamin!!

DM-ICE i couldnt quite make out if you liked fast five (thats the original name and im stickin with it)? it looks balls to the wall action based fun! any use?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Have you been there long enough to liken different parts of the country to Irish counties?

E.g Valencia = Galway

Not yet really. Bangkok is kinda like Dublin, in the sense that there are more not Irish people here than actual Irish people.:pac: I kid, I kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I was surprised to see no Happy Straight Edge Day messages on Good Friday,

Why? Just cos the pubs were closed? Going by my facebook, there were probably more drunk friends on friday night than there usually would be. :pac:

But yeah, every day is a happy straight edge day when you live a clean life. :cool::cool::cool:

Happy Belated Burfday GlenJamin! Hope it was a-rockin! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Happy Birthday Glenjamin!!

DM-ICE i couldnt quite make out if you liked fast five (thats the original name and im stickin with it)? it looks balls to the wall action based fun! any use?

Its Excellent. Its the best one yet I think, at the end it took a while for people to start leaving as they were waiting for more! Great action in it.

If anyone goes to watch, wait for the end credits to be over as there is a scene setting up the next movie (If there is one) when the credits end.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,450 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Warrior film trailer (Tom Hardy and Kurt Angle are in it)

• Advertisement

image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 86,450 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

So anyone here going to the "Royal Shindig" today :p

I'm watching it alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

CMpunked wrote: »
    I'm watching it alright.

kate and her sister are fine even her mammy is fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

P-P-P-Pick up a Pippa

pippa_middleton_640_cjackson_109454362.JPG

article-1381873-0BD3793E00000578-490_306x830.jpg

article-1381873-0BD360F400000578-139_306x830.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

I have to say, it was a fantastic wedding, great occasion, perfectly organised, the happy couple have my best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It was a faptastic wedding. Although I woke up 5 hours late and only caught the highlights.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I decided to watch the Snooker instead, the whole furore and **** over the thing was quite tragic really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

P-P-P-Pick up a Pippa

pippa_middleton_640_cjackson_109454362.JPG

article-1381873-0BD3793E00000578-490_306x830.jpg

article-1381873-0BD360F400000578-139_306x830.jpg

Bang tidy....any happy bday glenjamin also would like to thank all my fellow PW boardsies for wishing me happy birthday ye so and so's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Rjd2 wrote: »
    I decided to watch the Snooker instead, the whole furore and **** over the thing was quite tragic really.

People actually downed tools for most of the morning where I was working on Friday to watch it. Jesus like.

flahavaj wrote: »
    People actually downed tools for most of the morning where I was working on Friday to watch it. Jesus like.

It was actually really sweet and nice. Only the black hearted could find a problem with it, not like it happens every day. As close as we can get to seeing a real life Roman Triumph.

Plus this....
    kate-william-balcony-BJ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

It was actually really sweet and nice. Only the black hearted could find a problem with it, not like it happens every day. As close as we can get to seeing a real life Roman Triumph.

Plus this....

Nobody has a problem with them getting married and I like to think most wish them all the happiness in the world, they seem like a nice duo. :)

However we are entitled to be depressed how people got their knickers into such a twist over their marriage. (Like the peeps that Fla worked with)

Oh and the Monarcy is something that is so outdated as well these days.

Plus this....

Erra, good luck to them, they're a young couple who'll have to live their lives with cameras stuck in their faces, it won't be easy for them. It all gets a big meh from me tbh. In this day and age I see little role for a monarchy and I do object to people p*ssing off to slobber over her dress when theres work to be done.

Erra, good luck to them, they're a young couple who'll have to live their lives with cameras stuck in their faces, it won't be easy for them. It all gets a big meh from me tbh. In this day and age I see little role for a monarchy and I do object to people p*ssing off to slobber over her dress when theres work to be done.

One day in 30 years won't harm the world. There were a lot of people píssing off to watch Ireland v Germany in 2002 when there was work to be done.

The monarchy are a brilliant tourism device for the UK. It's like seeing living history. They wouldn't make anywhere near the same money from tourism if there was not a living monarchy in existence. I feel sorry for them in terms of privacy, but a middle ground can be met. I think they have learnt the lessons from Diana. Though she just a knob and brought a lot on herself.

Edit: Also the monarchy is outdated line is a cliché. They are figureheads, not people with actual power. Yesterday proves there is still a massive interest in them in the UK.

One day in 30 years won't harm the world. There were a lot of people píssing off to watch Ireland v Germany in 2002 when there was work to be done.

The monarchy are a brilliant tourism device for the UK. It's like seeing living history. They wouldn't make anywhere near the same money from tourism if there was not a living monarchy in existence. I feel sorry for them in terms of privacy, but a middle ground can be met. I think they have learnt the lessons from Diana. Though she just a knob and brought a lot on herself.

But there wasn't really any work to be done in 2002 during the World Cup, the whole country came to a standstill. Even if I'd wanted to work I wouldn't have been able!!!

I don't want to come across as begruding here, but I'm surprised at how much of a fuss has been made of it all. I'd say I'm indifferent more than anything.

As for tourism no doubt they generate income there, but so they should, given that their extravagance is funded entirely from the public purse. People would also still come to see Windsor castle etc even if there wasn't a monarchy. It'd be interesting to see if its ever been qualtified. I also read the wedding would cost the British economy £5 billion by creating consecutive 4 day weeks during April/May!.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8155625/Royal-wedding-marriage-will-cost-economy-5bn.html

• Advertisement

But there wasn't really any work to be done in 2002 during the World Cup, the whole country came to a standstill. Even if I'd wanted to work I wouldn't have been able!!!

I don't want to come across as begruding here, but I'm surprised at how much of a fuss has been made of it all. I'd say I'm indifferent more than anything.

As for tourism no doubt they generate income there, but so they should, given that their extravagance is funded entirely from the public purse. People would also still come to see Windsor castle etc even if there wasn't a monarchy. It'd be interesting to see if its ever been qualtified. I also read the wedding would cost the British economy £5 billion by creating consecutive 4 day weeks during April/May!.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/royal-wedding/8155625/Royal-wedding-marriage-will-cost-economy-5bn.html

That 5 billion is an enormous exaggeration. The wedding added one extra day off. That did not cost 5 billion (nor will the 4 day weeks either for that matter). That article is just ridiculous, the situation occurred because the Easter and May Bank Holidays were unusually near each other.

There would not be the same interest in visiting things connected to the Royal Family were they in the past. It would maintain similar interest for a while, but would dwindle over time. A large part of the attraction is that it is a living, working monarchy. You get to see the changing of the guards etc.

Work did exist in 2002. I was in work that day and things had to continue. I have first hand evidence of people bunking off from what they were supposed to be doing. I know because I was one of those people!

. Yesterday proves there is still a massive interest in them in the UK.

And all over the world if twitter is anything to go by.

The royal wedding is all over the telly and papers here. Absolute disgrace really, who in their right mind would want anything to do with it? The only cosolation is the auld bowels do be slow getting going over here, a bit of Royalty and away we go.

I honestly do feel upset though at the fact that its getting the coverage it is at home. Everyones miserable, leaving the country, etc... so they turn on the ****ing royal wedding? Jesus have we no bit of green left in us at all at home like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Gerard.C wrote: »
    The royal wedding is all over the telly and papers here. Absolute disgrace really, who in their right mind would want anything to do with it? The only cosolation is the auld bowels do be slow getting going over here, a bit of Royalty and away we go.

I honestly do feel upset though at the fact that its getting the coverage it is at home. Everyones miserable, leaving the country, etc... so they turn on the ****ing royal wedding? Jesus have we no bit of green left in us at all at home like.

The British Royal Family are known and respected all over the world, hence the two billion viewers watching the wedding on tv, it's a wedding that will literally be remembered forever, so by people taking 2 hours out of their day to tune in and witness a piece of history doesn't make them any less patriotic then say the thousands of British and American people who celebrate St Patricks Day every year.

It's world news, hence the amount of tv and newspaper coverage it's garnering, just like when a new American president is sworn in, just like the Chinese new year, or the Irish St Patricks Day, the British are known worldwide for their Royal Family, so of course it's going to dominate the news for a few days, I don't see the problem really.

It's really quite sad that in the year 2011, some Irish people still feel like they need to be against all things British in order to save face and prove their patriotic colours to anyone who will still listen to them.

Be Irish and be proud to have green blood running through your veins, but nobody is going to begrudge you for witnessing a moment of history whether it be British or any other nations historic moment.

Charisteas wrote: »
    The British Royal Family are known and respected all over the world, hence the two billion viewers watching the wedding on tv, it's a wedding that will literally be remembered forever, so by people taking 2 hours out of their day to tune in and witness a piece of history doesn't make them any less patriotic then say the thousands of British and American people who celebrate St Patricks Day every year.

It's world news, hence the amount of tv and newspaper coverage it's garnering, just like when a new American president is sworn in, just like the Chinese new year, or the Irish St Patricks Day, the British are known worldwide for their Royal Family, so of course it's going to dominate the news for a few days, I don't see the problem really.

It's really quite sad that in the year 2011, some Irish people still feel like they need to be against all things British in order to save face and prove their patriotic colours to anyone who will still listen to them.

Be Irish and be proud to have green blood running through your veins, but nobody is going to begrudge you for witnessing a moment of history whether it be British or any other nations historic moment.

Well I will be watching Man U vs Arsenal later, possibly in an English bar depending on the crowd. I doubt my face will be saved then, as you put it.

Why are they respected all over the world? They're only known all over the world because they are the "Figureheads" of a country that has damaged an endless list of countries world wide, our own included. What do they actually do to be respected? Why shouldnt Pat and Joan's wedding be paid for by the tax payer? They're the common people who are stuck for money and will have to work hard all their lives, yet these spoilt little snotty ***** over in England get all this attention and praise and compliments, AND they get a free wedding out of it? And a fairly big one at that too. Why??? And why is it stuck in my face for the last month?

I dont buy into this whole "it's 2011" argument. Put whatever year you want on it, they're still tools. This whole oh a prince is marrying a commoner thing. What kind of nonsense is that. Is there honestly nothing more news worthy happening in the world than the "Royal Wedding"? If this is the kind of thing that you reckon will go down as historic and will be remembered forever, that says so much about the world we live in. And that is nothing short of a disgrace in all honesty.

And now I've just seen a headline that they have had to postpone their honeymoon. Oh god love the poor divils. Heart breaking.

It was a fricking major world event, so it gets worldwide coverage. It will be remembered forever. There is an enormous amount of leftover Irish hostility that is pretty sad.

It was a fricking major world event, so it gets worldwide coverage. It will be remembered forever. There is an enormous amount of leftover Irish hostility that is pretty sad.

Tell Lizzy I was askin for her when she pops over for Tea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

800 years of oppression will do that...

800 years of oppression will do that...

Knew it wouldn't be too long before somebody said that. What would Michael Collins think? :rolleyes:

Anybody is in any way open minded about Britain and the royal family etc is open to being dismissed as a West Brit or to get the comments like above about Lizzy and tea. My point is that the past is the past. Move on. Bitching about something that happened to people that are long since dead won't get us anywhere.

A lot of Irish people have pretty poor knowledge of our past about things like 1916 too.

• Advertisement

Knew it wouldn't be too long before somebody said that. What would Michael Collins think? :rolleyes:

Anybody is in any way open minded about Britain and the royal family etc is open to being dismissed as a West Brit or to get the comments like above about Lizzy and tea. My point is that the past is the past. Move on. Bitching about something that happened to people that are long since dead won't get us anywhere.

A lot of Irish people have pretty poor knowledge of our past about things like 1916 too.

Look at the STATE of Ireland in 2011. I mean take a minute to fully take in the state of that country. Go down to the welfare office on a Tuesday morning, walk the streets of Dublin, Limerick, Cork etc... and look at the people who consider the streets their homes, go to the airport and look at all the young people with 1 way tickets to the other side of the world, look at just what your taxes are paying for in Ireland in 2011. It's not a country to be proud of in 2011, that much is hard enough to swallow in itself. On the grand scheme of things, post-Celtic Tiger Ireland is a joke, a farce and an absolute disgrace. Our culture and Identity had been very close to wiped out, and a lot of Irish people couldnt care less so long as they have their new iphone. This is coming from a proud Irish man. Your telling me that in the midst of all this, the people of Ireland are proudly celebrating this ****ing joke of a wedding? Thats a hard pill to swallow, coming from someone on the other side of the world, too. And the quickness with which people will defend the thing. My god.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement