Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Charisteas wrote: »
    Do you mean one of the bridges are closed off? And are you driving or walking? Try the next bridge in the direction further away from the city centre, not all the bridges will be closed.

Some Garda must have been checking the thread cos after I posted that, o Connell bridge was opened to cross. Some amount of people here!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Marco Van Basten could be Chelesa's new manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Marco Van Basten could be Chelesa's new manager

Well all you require for the Chelsea Job is a day of experience & to be totally Spineless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: The Footballer with the super-injuction...

An MP just revealed in parliment who it was. Since he has parlimentery privilages and is allowed to out people, all the news sources have now started reporting it. Guessing that makes the legal aspects of naming him null and void (though sorry if it doesn't; delete post if nessecary) :)

And so the world's worst kept secret is out...

EDIT: Sky News report:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-MP-Names-Footballer-At-Centre-Of-Gagging-Order-In-House-Of-Commons/Article/201105415997439?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15997439_Video%3A_MP_Names_Footballer_At_Centre_Of_Gagging_Order_In_House_Of_Commons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Edited above, and I do not want anyone else posting a name as it is a legal grey area. Got this from a buddy who is a journalist in london working on the story
    the judge today said that the fact the injunction had been breached was not, in itself, a reason to lift the injunction. So it remains in place. So I could go to jail for saying something that everyone knows

• Advertisement

kk.

Is the link still ok? And sorry...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Kind of annoying that its an injunction. One of those involved is happy to admit it happened just the footballer (who we all know) is trying to (and failing) to keep his tidy image intact.

RE: The Footballer with the super-injuction...

An MP just revealed in parliment who it was. Since he has parlimentery privilages and is allowed to out people, all the news sources have now started reporting it. Guessing that makes the legal aspects of naming him null and void (though sorry if it doesn't; delete post if nessecary) :)

And so the world's worst kept secret is out...

EDIT: Sky News report:
    http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-News/Video-MP-Names-Footballer-At-Centre-Of-Gagging-Order-In-House-Of-Commons/Article/201105415997439?lpos=UK_News_Carousel_Region_0&lid=ARTICLE_15997439_Video%3A_MP_Names_Footballer_At_Centre_Of_Gagging_Order_In_House_Of_Commons

The footballer should have just owned up already insteading of trying to stop and sue Twitter/Facebook users from naming him he is a even bigger tool now imo

Sky News flashed a big "Breaking News" banner accross Stargate Universe on Sky One. I mean, I know it's a big story but it's hardly the Twin Towers of Michael Jackson's death now, is it. <_<

Originally I defended the person in question by just saying he was probably trying to block Imogen from selling her story. The whole "suing Twitter" thing is stupid though...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The Macho Man ***PW Off Topic Thread*** is a weird name for the off-topic thread since we have a few threads about Macho and posts about Macho wouldn't be in this thread?

"The Madness ***PW Off Topic Thread***" might be better? Still a reference but not confusing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I miss "funny name pending".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I miss "funny name pending".

Funny name pending....ohhhh yeaaahhh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Don't know how many of you know Our Lady Peace, they did Benoit's music. Canadian band, really good up until their most recent album in 2007 but came across a live performance of a few of their tunes. Worth a look. The last one, Not Enough has been used in various tribute viddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I'd recommend giving Our Lady Peace's Live album a listen to.

51ZrtWslHRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Sorry i can't post my copy :P They're a really good live band by the sounds, if u can get over the 'jeff hardy' off-keyness lol. The raw-ness of live really enhances the songs, which may be slightly too light for my tastes. My fav studio album from them would be 2002's Gravity, which has many awesome songs on it, including this one (performed live on the above CD/DVD) They play benoit's live as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Did anyone hear the promo Enda cut today? F*ckin hell that man should be World Champion. Didn't think he had it in him.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the promo Enda cut today? F*ckin hell that man should be World Champion. Didn't think he had it in him.

"I was there"(remember those vignettes? :))
    Brendan gleeson stole the show in my mind. Great undercard too.

I don't think I appreciated it as much as someone who could have been watching on telly cos he spoke for so dam long you could hear people just giving out to him.

Thought it was a great speech by Obama. Made me sad to realise how boring Irish politics is though...

It was a great speech but he didn't really say anything. Nothing but soundbites and gave the people what they wanted, like a celebrity, not a world leader.

Thought it was a great speech by Obama. Made me sad to realise how boring Irish politics is though...

I keep waiting for if you smell what Barack is cooking :p

• Advertisement

If it was a big economic speech, peole would have whinged as well. It was what it was - a rousing uplifting speech which has given people soemthing to be positive about for a change.

gimmick wrote: »
    If it was a big economic speech, peole would have whinged as well. It was what it was - a rousing uplifting speech which has given people soemthing to be positive about for a change.
    What is there to be positive about? He mentioned nothing of real substance worth.

It was positive in the regard that people walked away happy. He spoke of how things will get better, as they have done in the past.

What should he have said? Or should he have been morose and said "listen, ye're economy is fúcked, so is ours, its a long and dark winding road ahead of us, and who knows when we will get out of it?"

It was positive in the regard that people walked away happy. He spoke of how things will get better, as they have done in the past.

What should he have said? Or should he have been morose and said "listen, ye're economy is fúcked, so is ours, its a long and dark winding road ahead of us, and who knows when we will get out of it?"
    I've no problem with him pandering to the masses but I've always believed it's more courageous and better overall to tell people what they don't want to hear. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Obama, I just don't think he's nearly as heroic as he's being portrayed to be. His celebrity status is taking away from the fact that he continues much of the foreign policy that the Bush administration implemented.

His speech yesterday was never going to be explicitly political, in the sense that he was not going to discuss economic or foreign policy. It was a speech designed to make himself look good. The people liked it. I fail to see the issue. He helps his own cause for re-election with the Irish American population, and the irish at home are happy with him.

Lets not forget that this speech was broadcast throughout the world, most notably America. This country needs America a lot more than what it needs us. If a few company heads see the positivity that this has generated, and decide to keep/create jobs over here, then the whole thing was a resounding success.

Again, what would you have preferred he did/said?

His speech yesterday was never going to be explicitly political, in the sense that he was not going to discuss economic or foreign policy. It was a speech designed to make himself look good. The people liked it. I fail to see the issue. He helps his own cause for re-election with the Irish American population, and the irish at home are happy with him.

Lets not forget that this speech was broadcast throughout the world, most notably America. This country needs America a lot more than what it needs us. If a few company heads see the positivity that this has generated, and decide to keep/create jobs over here, then the whole thing was a resounding success.

Again, what would you have preferred he did/said?
    I can't say what I'd have liked to have heard but something to sway away from the consensus that everything will turn out well in the end, that our best days are ahead of us and that if people just take everything lying down that all will be merry.

But he did not say that, he said thorough hard work, through the education system we have in this country that we will turn it around. Cream always rises to the top and all that.

Again, he could not have said "ye're doomed" could he?

But he did not say that, he said thorough hard work, through the education system we have in this country that we will turn it around. Cream always rises to the top and all that.

Again, he could not have said "ye're doomed" could he?
    He told the masses that we live in a country that places value on education. My own opinion is that the last government did not and have left it in tatters. Our education system is rank for the most part and needs a complete overhaul. That's a debate for another day though.

I don't know what I expected him to say. I guess I just expected it to be of more interest but also I didn't expect to see people foaming at the mouth over what it turned out to be.

He didn't just say that our best days are ahead of us, he also added that our greatest trials are also ahead for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Voltwad wrote: »
    I've no problem with him pandering to the masses but I've always believed it's more courageous and better overall to tell people what they don't want to hear. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Obama, I just don't think he's nearly as heroic as he's being portrayed to be. His celebrity status is taking away from the fact that he continues much of the foreign policy that the Bush administration implemented.

You're working under the illusion here that the American president is anything other than a figurehead wheeled out to make speeches and do what he did yesterday. He isn't, he has little or no say in most decisions that America makes in reality.

I think he struck the perfect balance between light heartedness, sincerity and positivity yesterday.

As for him continuing Bush's foreign policy, you can't just up sticks and leave a country you've occupied, these things take years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement