Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Ugh, politics:(

• Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

flahavaj wrote: »
    Did anyone hear the promo Enda cut today? F*ckin hell that man should be World Champion. Didn't think he had it in him.

It seems Enda Kenny took parts his speech from a previous speech done by Barack Obama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It seems Endas speech writer may have taken part of Obamas inauguration speech. However, if one reads between the lines here, it is quite obviously a homage as opposed to outright plagurism. A junior cert debater would not make that mistake.

There will be a furore out of this, but it was quite obvious was Enda was at. If people think he was genuinely trying to pull the wool over their eyes, then I give up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ugh, politics:(

Let's hide in the corner D2D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Voltwad wrote: »
    His celebrity status is taking away from the fact that he continues much of the foreign policy that the Bush administration implemented.

You can't just cut and run from Iraq and Afghanistan. That would be a terrible decision with long-term implications.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It seems Enda Kenny took parts his speech from a previous speech done by Barack Obama

Like Gimmick said, that was blatantly an homage to Obama and a 15 year old JC student would notice that. It was obvious yesterday when he was saying lines like "On this day" etc that it was a technique paying tribute to Obama. Anybody saying otherwise is just needlessly creating a fuss over nothing.

Like Gimmick said, that was blatantly an homage to Obama and a 15 year old JC student would notice that. It was obvious yesterday when he was saying lines like "On this day" etc that it was a technique paying tribute to Obama. Anybody saying otherwise is just needlessly creating a fuss over nothing.

could it not have been a little better for Inda to say something a little more original?
    Like i get how using some known phrases and that of obama is out of respect and nothing else.
    But he kinda said nothing else of his own words.

Obama also quoted Yeats (I think). EDIT Delmore Schwarz.

Jesus Christ, only people in this country could get so hot and bothered over nothing.

gimmick wrote: »
    Obama also quoted Yeats (I think).

Jesus Christ, only people in this country could get so hot and bothered over nothing.

I for one loved it all.
    As i said already Brendan Gleesons was phenomenal.
    (not sure if it was shown on telly)

*gleefully runs off to find it on youtube!*

*edit* Found it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

CMpunked wrote: »
    (not sure if it was shown on telly)

Not sure either, but if anyone missed anything, 2 hours and 16 minutes worth are covered on the RTE player http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1099062

could it not have been a little better for Inda to say something a little more original?
    Like i get how using some known phrases and that of obama is out of respect and nothing else.
    But he kinda said nothing else of his own words.

Most of what he said was original. There's nothing wrong with using the odd line here and there. Obama's inauguration speech (which is where the few similar lines came from) heavily relied on other Black figures from history like Martin Luther King. Same way that Obama's speech yesterday had echoes of previous speeches given by American presidents in Ireland.

Went to see Alan Carr last night. Sweetest Christ above he was horrible. Honestly barely even smiled for the duration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Went to see Alan Carr last night. Sweetest Christ above he was horrible. Honestly barely even smiled for the duration.

I bet you were dragged by the Missus right?

He's a vile creature.

Well, I bought here the tickets for her Birthday, it was a escape because I had no clue what to do. But bloody hell, its was awful awful crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭Cherry_Cola

Probably for the best considering the state of his teeth :D

I'm not homophobic or whatever like that, so don't take this like that, but;
    A gay friend of mine told me he just plays to the gay culture and the women who like the campness. He doesn't like camp so he despises him.

What the missus think of him?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

A gay friend of mine told me he just plays to the gay culture and the women who like the campness. He doesn't like camp so he despises him.

I have watched his chat show a few times and did find parts funny but I agree he plays to the gay culture and women more and he is full of innuendos, btw he is on the Late Late Show tonight

I think Gimmick meant that he himself didn't smile for the duration, not alan carr :D

Charisteas wrote: »
    I think Gimmick meant that he himself didn't smile for the duration, not alan carr :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxv2Ut8Nr8irPFerUt9ndJePUT8bkb0ukh_S2HLEWujHqdSy2CIQ

• Advertisement

I mean me.

Yes, that is something alright. There were a lot of jokes which were completely aimed at wimmin and their problems and bits. The misssus enjoyed him. Not hilarious, but was laughing a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

so my dad was watching countdown today and i couldnt get more then a 4 letter word i feel stupid

I love Countdown.

I regularly "play" it against the contestants. I win quite a bit too. My biggest downfall is the numbers round. rarely get that right. I am about 40/60 on the conundrum.

Countdown? Ok then I might as well post this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

I love Countdown.

I regularly "play" it against the contestants. I win quite a bit too. My biggest downfall is the numbers round. rarely get that right. I am about 40/60 on the conundrum.

i hate you so much right now although i can do the number round a lot of the time its sad i cant spell for the life of me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Visca Barça!

Visca Leinster! :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Visca Leinster! :pac:

Visca Munster.

I know your all watching on the TV if your watching but if anyone knows of a decent stream for this like a Sopcast that works its been painfull trying to watch any of the ones currently listed on myp2p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I love Countdown.

Tend to be the opposite. Can usually nail the numbers round in half the time it takes the contestant but when I get a six letter word, I'm delighted with myself <_<

• Advertisement

What a ferociously great game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement