Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

krudler wrote: »
    Am very anti-religious myself, I just cant accept its hypocrisy and contradictions, imo its mankinds worst achievement

I'm not a religious man but that's a fairly ridiculous statement. Religion drove society forward for years in the middle ages and after that in the Arabic world. Look at the education system here before 3rd level. All of the best schools were run and maintained by Catholics when the country had no money. They did alot for Ireland

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I like the idea behind most religions, but they shouldent be taking as the word of god and anybody not following them persecuted i.e holy wars but more as guidlines on how to try and live written by people thousands of years ago but that are just as relavent now no matter when it is. Religon is neccessary, some people need something to believe in even if it cant be proved, it gives them hope and the ability then to cope with negative things that happen as they have the believe that there is something more, something better to come.

Personally I dont believe there is a "god" looking down on use answering prayers and judging actions but i still live what i believe is a good life that im sure has been influenced by the fact that I was raised going to church every week, until it clashed with Rugby and then i stopped going and subsequently as the youngest had stopped the family kinda stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

The real problem is a lot of this stuff was written in archaic times. It's not the religion that I think is flawed, is the fact that the people determining the direction it's taking (more specifically, The Pope) are still so set in their ways that they can't open up to modern society.

I also believe that is a cause of a lot of hatred of the Roman Catholic religion, and therefore other religions in the process because a lot of people tar a lot of religions with the same brush.

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    The real problem is a lot of this stuff was written in archaic times. It's not the religion that I think is flawed, is the fact that the people determining the direction it's taking (more specifically, The Pope) are still so set in their ways that they can't open up to modern society.
    Well, they have to cater for the people who embrace religion, most of whom are either older or from less developed countries and therefore are more primitive. If the pope embraces condoms in Africa for example alot of older people would be turned of by accepting promiscuity. The only two major flaws I have with Catholicism is papal infallibilty which is insane and the fact that they'll do anything to protect their own and won't admit guilt
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I also believe that is a cause of a lot of hatred of the Roman Catholic religion, and therefore other religions in the process because a lot of people tar a lot of religions with the same brush.

Well Islam is without a doubt the most hated religion in the western world but most hatred of religions is down to ignorance and certain religious figures and institutions, not the religion itself

Am very anti-religious myself, I just cant accept its hypocrisy and contradictions, imo its mankinds worst achievement

Anti-religious? or Atheist?

Personally, I don't believe in God, Jesus or anything else religion-related. I don't even like to refer to myself as Atheist, because that sounds like it's a religion, too.

In saying that, I'm not "Anti-religion". I don't harbour any hatred towards religious people. I really don't have any kind of opinion on it at all. I know two people who are pretty big into it (CBG is one of them) and i get on well with them.

The only people I don't like, are the religious people who feel they have to tell you all about it. If I actually cared about religion, i'd be religious.

In saying that, though, I also don't like people who go on holiday, buy a house or have a child and feel the need to tell me about it as if i am supposed to care.

Also sports fans. I watch wrestling, but i don't go on about it. If someone else brings it up in conversation, then i'll talk about it, but i won't go into detail because i know the person doesn't actually care, and is just making conversation. You do not need to tell me the result of every game your favourite team have had in the last five years. Don't say YOUR team is playing against someone. Don't tell me you hope that "we" win. You have no input into the football team at all. You're not a manager of the team, stop talking like you are part of it, and for the love of god, stop patting me on the arm, so i can look at you pretending to kick a ball into a net. I DON'T CARE!!!! AARGH!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Edit: I feel better after getting that out. :)

• Advertisement

Also sports fans. I watch wrestling, but i don't go on about it. If someone else brings it up in conversation, then i'll talk about it, but i won't go into detail because i know the person doesn't actually care, and is just making conversation. You do not need to tell me the result of every game your favourite team have had in the last five years. Don't say YOUR team is playing against someone. Don't tell me you hope that "we" win. You have no input into the football team at all. You're not a manager of the team, stop talking like you are part of it, and for the love of god, stop patting me on the arm, so i can look at you pretending to kick a ball into a net. I DON'T CARE!!!! AARGH!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

If you don't want to here about how Chelsea are the best team in the world then talk to more women, you'll benefit in the long term

Bubs101 wrote: »
    If you don't want to here about how Chelsea are the best team in the world then talk to more women, you'll benefit in the long term

I know about three people in the world. I rarely see any of them. Talking to people isn't something i'm good at. :(

I excel at moaning on the internet though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

"PW Boards: The psychiatrist's couch for wrestling fans"

Think that should be our new header. :pac:

But when it comes to some religion groups (man i really dislike the word).

Like i see it as strange that there are some groups that its more known to go around calling to houses, and proclaiming everyone wrong who doesnt follow them.

The jehovahs would be one group.
    Like what would people know straight off the bat apart from they come to your door?

anyways, just my 4c.
    (seeing as 2 already went earlier)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

The Jehovah Witnesses were hanging around a lot where I live a few months ago. Preaching to people outside pubs and generally making fools of themselves.

Thankfully the recession seems to have hit them hard and they have not been seen in some time.

Man they made me angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

You might like this sketch :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

*hic*

orestes wrote: »
    *hic*

Uh oh.

What was it tonight orestes?
    Red or white?

Uh oh.

What was it tonight orestes?
    Red or white?

Vodka

Lots and lots of vodka

Oh, and there was some coke in there too

Vodka

Lots and lots of vodka

Oh, and there was some coke in there too

Not on Good Friday :eek:

Of course not, its all been in the last hour and a half ;)

Not good friday, any friday you lose the rent money in a poker game cos you're drunk cannot be described as good

Not good friday, any friday you lose the rent money in a poker game cos you're drunk cannot be described as good

Ouch - sorry to hear that - can we organize a testimonial for our former mod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hesus J, this has taken a turn for the worse.

Good Friday palsy, wooo

gimmick wrote: »
    Hesus J, this has taken a turn for the worse.

Good Friday palsy, wooo

Um, wut?

I really do not know.

Right, i need to be pointed in the right direction. When it come to ctechnlogy, I am a complete retard.

I have a dvd player which has a usb port. I have 2 8gb usb key dealys, but both are FAT32. Apparently the player needs NTFS for most things. How does one sort this out and change the format of the usb from FAT32 to NTFS? Is my DVD player with usb port crap, or am I crap? Point to the right forum if needs be. Cheers.

• Advertisement

I really do not know.

Right, i need to be pointed in the right direction. When it come to ctechnlogy, I am a complete retard.

I have a dvd player which has a usb port. I have 2 8gb usb key dealys, but both are FAT32. Apparently the player needs NTFS for most things. How does one sort this out and change the format of the usb from FAT32 to NTFS? Is my DVD player with usb port crap, or am I crap? Point to the right forum if needs be. Cheers.

Plug the usb key into your pc.
    go to my computer and right click on the device - then select format - choose NTFS if it's available (this will erase all data on the key so backup first!)
    If that doesn't work then your dvd player may not be able to read a drive of that size (just a guess)

Ouch - sorry to hear that - can we organize a testimonial for our former mod?

Yes! Gimme money!
    I really do not know.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Yes! Gimme money!

SR will organize it I'm sure!

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

That only works if you also wait 15-30 seconds before turning it back on.

If that doesn't work then your dvd player may not be able to read a drive of that size (just a guess)

I don't think that's ever a problem. I think the issue filesizes is on something thats FAT32 and the file is over 4GB in size, it can't be read (apparently)

Trust me, you are not a complete retard, your not even close to being one in regards to technology.
    Plug the usb key into your pc.
    go to my computer and right click on the device - then select format - choose NTFS if it's available (this will erase all data on the key so backup first!)

Its as simple as that to be honest.

Ive worked in currys the guts of a year now and trust me, if someone came in asking that sort of a question i would be so happy.

Much better than the usual.
    Little gems like:
    "Whats the difference between this tv and THIS tv?"
    me-"Well this is a full HD, so its 1080p, 50,000 to one contrast, Led backlit..."
    "I dont give a shít about that, Just tell me whats the difference thats all"
    me-"Ok... THIS tv.. Doesnt have any of that."
    "Fine, ill take that one, its cheaper."

I don't think that's ever a problem. I think the issue filesizes is on something thats FAT32 and the file is over 4GB in size, it can't be read (apparently)

yeah I think you are right but it still seems odd that the dvd player cannot read a fat32 drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I really do not know.

Right, in no particular order:
    Are you crap? Much as i'd be tempted to say yes cos i'm an evil git, fact of the matter is you aint. At least not under this circumstance anyway.

Is your DVD player with a USB port crap? Crap, no, but definitely ass-backwards. Quite the opposite, i've never heard of a DVD player requiring NTFS filesystems for USB keys or drives. That said, in my honest opinion, there should probably be more of them, because if they can handle USB hard drives, it'd be a godsend.

How does one sort this out?
    Microsoft give this answer here, which you would have easily found with a google search: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097
    Instructions state for XP but should work the same way in 2000 and Vista too.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I'm not a religious man but that's a fairly ridiculous statement. Religion drove society forward for years in the middle ages and after that in the Arabic world. Look at the education system here before 3rd level. All of the best schools were run and maintained by Catholics when the country had no money. They did alot for Ireland

Those same Catholic schools that used corporal punishment on a daily basis? My father had one of his fingers broken when a priest smacked it with a heavy book because he wrote with his left hand and apparently that was a bad thing in Catholic religion/superstition.

Thanks for the above tips. Seems my bastard DVD player will still not play the new usb though. Same as the new TB external hard drive I got. The only thing it will play is a broken external HD, which pretty much does not allow me put anything new on.

I hate wasting money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Those same Catholic schools that used corporal punishment on a daily basis? My father had one of his fingers broken when a priest smacked it with a heavy book because he wrote with his left hand and apparently that was a bad thing in Catholic religion/superstition.

And you know why you rarely hear about corporal punishment in other non religious schools in Ireland? Because there were so few of them.

The point is, if you're going to look at religion do it with a balanced view point. Don't just go with the negative.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement