Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Downing is a great signing.

No, he isn't. He is a mid table type player (maybe thats why Liverpool want him) at best who is hugely injury prone. £20m? Sweet jesus christ. That is now £75m Liverpool have spent on nothing players.

Ludicrous when you consider you could have Nando Llorente, Javi Martinez and Juan Mata - all world cup winners, and established players for about £50m.

Kenny knows? Bloody hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

My laptop should be fixed by tomorrow. No more sneaky Boards before I head from work :)

I'm happy at how I've stayed spoiler free from wrestling. Sunday will be my catch up day before MITB.

Plus Wicklow/Armagh this weekend. Hopefully another Northern big boy falls in Aughrim!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I'm happy at how I've stayed spoiler free from wrestling. Sunday will be my catch up day before MITB.

You are in for a TREAT! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    No, he isn't. He is a mid table type player (maybe thats why Liverpool want him) at best who is hugely injury prone. £20m? Sweet jesus christ. That is now £75m Liverpool have spent on nothing players.

Ludicrous when you consider you could have Nando Llorente, Javi Martinez and Juan Mata - all world cup winners, and established players for about £50m.

Kenny knows? Bloody hell.

Llorente, Martinez and Mata probably would only move to CL clubs.

Downing is over priced as all English players are, but he'll give them balance and give good service to Carroll and he won't agitate for a move away in a few years like the Spanish lads probably would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

On the subject of Llorente I really love the policy from Athletic Bilboa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

On the subject of Llorente I really love the policy from Athletic Bilboa.

Yeah Bilbao should get more credit for their youth development,I know its a Basque only mentality but nobody in the greed is good league could ever do that for any prolonged period.

They've obviously been inspired by the success of Kevin Broderick and David Tierney.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Llorente, Martinez and Mata probably would only move to CL clubs.

That was not my point. The point was the above 3 greatly superior players versus the 3 mentioned Liverpool buys would cost far less.

The "English premium" is a frigging joke.

That was not my point. The point was the above 3 greatly superior players versus the 3 mentioned Liverpool buys would cost far less.

Henderson was so bad in that Bog Standard U21 European Championship I had to stop watching his matches cause I already realised he's bloody useless & cannot pass the ball to save himself. I seen on Sky yesterday that Downings cross accuracy is 21% is that even considered good when you consider how much we're going to rely on him to put crosses into Carroll.

Adam is a solid buy but 18 million for Henderson and 20 million for Downing is ridiculous. Downing was a great prospect with Middlesbrough but he's struggled to be consistent.

If Raul Meireles goes though Liverpool will look like gigantic mongs.

• Advertisement

I agree re Adam, my issue is with Carroll, Henderson and Downing.

On another topic, I can barely walk as I smashed my foot against some dudes elbow last night at kickboxing. Nice f**k off bruise and decent swelling. I am seriously accident/injury prone.

Completely agree with regards to those 3. I've not seen much of Henderson to say he warrants 18 million. I'd give Carroll more time as there were times (City match) where he looked menacing. Downing at 20 million just proves how awful the inflation of these prices from homegrown players is.

If Gary Cahill goes to Arsenal for 20 million I might die of laughter.

Completely agree with regards to those 3. I've not seen much of Henderson to say he warrants 18 million. I'd give Carroll more time as there were times (City match) where he looked menacing. Downing at 20 million just proves how awful the inflation of these prices from homegrown players is.

If Gary Cahill goes to Arsenal for 20 million I might die of laughter.

Carroll can be a great signing but won't ever justify the £35m we paid for him. Henderson is so average when he couldn't stand out in a piss poor youth tournament I haven't much hope for him. Downing can be a good signing but if we are to go for the big prizes he'll add little to it. If we are to buy a left back or another centre back based on the delusional english premium I hope they are bought in from overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

gimmick werent you looking to take up wrestling a while back.....or am i off my meds again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

GTR63 wrote: »
    Carroll can be a great signing but won't ever justify the £35m we paid for him. Henderson is so average when he couldn't stand out in a piss poor youth tournament I haven't much hope for him. Downing can be a good signing but if we are to go for the big prizes he'll add little to it. If we are to buy a left back or another centre back based on the delusional english premium I hope they are bought in from overseas.

I would still think that Enrique fron Newcastle would be the most likely although Cissokho (SP?) was the most recently linked and would be a good signing without the english premium but for some reason I wouldent expect it

Th point is that given their inability to attract players of that calibre to the club and having missed out on other targets like Clichy, Wickham and Jones, investing in good English players that want to go to Liverpool isn't a bad policy. They might be over priced, but they'll be overpriced if they get sold on as well.

No way will they be as overpriced though. Can you imagine anybody paying £35m for Carroll ever again? £20m+ for Downing and Henderson?

TBH, I think if you halved those prices (£40m ish), they would still be overpriced. Lets be honest here, £40m for 3 players who have as yet, achieved nothing in their careers. That may be harsh on Carroll and Henderson given their ages, but the fact remains, for that price, you should be getting finished articles.
    Th point is that given their inability to attract players of that calibre to the club and having missed out on other targets ..... investing in good English players that want to go to Liverpool isn't a bad policy.

That is well and good, but the prices they have paid are ludicrous, and that should have nothing to do with other targets. Just remember, these 3 signings were made unopposed, so its not like an auction pushed their "values" up. Sunderland must stioll be pissing themselves laughing that they got £20 for Henderson.

gimmick werent you looking to take up wrestling a while back.....or am i off my meds again?

Nope. Never.

Ah no it was Geeky not you! damn you with "similar" names :p

Link

Well similar in that both our usernames have a "G" and a "K".

Well similar in that both our usernames have a "G" and a "K".

EXACTLY!!

• Advertisement

Geeky later went on to become Fegal Devitt

No way will they be as overpriced though. Can you imagine anybody paying £35m for Carroll ever again? £20m+ for Downing and Henderson?

I think the problem will always be there. I remember Blackburn spending £4m, at the time a ludricorus fee for Chris Sutton years ago. Next Summer it'll be someone else.
    TBH, I think if you halved those prices (£40m ish), they would still be overpriced. Lets be honest here, £40m for 3 players who have as yet, achieved nothing in their careers. That may be harsh on Carroll and Henderson given their ages, but the fact remains, for that price, you should be getting finished articles.
    There 's no doubt teams overpay for English players but they have their upside and if you sell them on their fee will be equally ludicrous so its not really the disaster it first appears.

Its not as if foreign clubs also don't over pay either. Your lot paid £25m for a Russian centre back that lasted one season and did nothing and was sold back for £15m, not to mention the farcical loss they made on Ibra. Its not just confined to English clubs and players.

No arguing there, but one could argue that Ibras value was around the €60m region given his constant success in Italy. I would not make that argument mind. Re Chryg, that was silliness by Laporta. But in both cases, both were established internationals with plenty club experience before these moves, something which Liverpools 3 recruits cannot argue.

I've never gotten why the likes of Henderson or Carrick are so expensive when they've never looked like cutting it at international level. I'm glad we've missed out on a few this summer cause if we get in Europe next year its then you'll be needed to buy quality and forget buying British talent. As for clubs wasting money I don't think there is one club that hasn't blown a bomb on a flob buy the last few years.

No arguing there, but one could argue that Ibras value was around the €60m region given his constant success in Italy. I would not make that argument mind. Re Chryg, that was silliness by Laporta. But in both cases, both were established internationals with plenty club experience before these moves, something which Liverpools 3 recruits cannot argue.

I wouldn't be too bothered about them being internationas. Its not as if the majority of fellas actually playing for England such as Gareth Barry, Glen Johnsen, Milner, Lescott, Defoe, etc etc are all that amazing either. A waste of money is a waste of money regardless of international caps or nationality tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I've never gotten why the likes of Henderson or Carrick are so expensive when they've never looked like cutting it at international level. I'm glad we've missed out on a few this summer cause if we get in Europe next year its then you'll be needed to buy quality and forget buying British talent. As for clubs wasting money I don't think there is one club that hasn't blown a bomb on a flob buy the last few years.

Carrick has justified his huge transfer fee to be fair when you consider how important he has been in a team that has won everything since his arrival.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Carrick has justified his huge transfer fee to be fair when you consider how important he has been in a team that has won everything since his arrival.

He has been carried by Giggs & Scholes I think,giving credit to him is like giving credit to Mikel at Chelsea yeah they win things but it has very little to do with his imput.If Carrick was close to being as influencial as Scholes he'd be in the England team now instead of Parker & Wilshire wouldn't have to be relied upon as much as he is.

I honestly don't rate Carrick above Fletcher. He does his job but adds very little else. Fletcher can pop up with a few goals and big performances.

He has been carried by Giggs & Scholes I think,giving credit to him is like giving credit to Mikel at Chelsea yeah they win things but it has very little to do with his imput.If Carrick was close to being as influencial as Scholes he'd be in the England team now instead of Parker & Wilshire wouldn't have to be relied upon as much as he is.

Carrick's been virtually an ever present at United for the last 5 years, a time period where they've never been as successful. Comparing his input to Mikel's at Chelsea is very unfair. Carrick's form has dipped the last 2 years but when he played beside Scholes for 2-3 years he was superb. You don't last that long in the United first 11 without being a good player. He should have been first choice for England at the last World Cup, but either way thats pretty irrelevant. If he's good enough for United he's well good enough for them. He's a much better player than Parker for a start.

• Advertisement

I honestly don't rate Carrick above Fletcher. He does his job but adds very little else. Fletcher can pop up with a few goals and big performances.

Its not Carrick's job to score goals though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement