Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

flahavaj wrote: »
    Its not Carrick's job to score goals though.
    Not Vidic's job either but here we are. Not saying he's bad but when I hear people call him world-class (not anybody here) it makes me cringe. He hasn't proven his worth as 18 mill at the time (which is about 30 million now in football currency) he's just been part of a great team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Not Vidic's job either but here we are. Not saying he's bad but when I hear people call him world-class (not anybody here) it makes me cringe. He hasn't proven his worth as 18 mill at the time (which is about 30 million now in football currency) he's just been part of a great team.

But nobody is trying to say Vidic is a bad player based on his gialscoring prowess - because goalscoring ain't his job!

Carrick isn't world class but I doubt he'd have been a first choice regular in the United team for 5 years of unprecedented success unless he was worth his weight in gold. Fergie doesn't suffer passengers gladly. He does a very important job in front of the back four that is vastly underrated. The £18m was money very well spent.

But nobody is trying to say Vidic is a bad player based on his gialscoring prowess - because goalscoring ain't his job!

Carrick isn't world class but I doubt he'd have been a first choice regular in the United team for 5 years of unprecedented success unless he was worth his weight in gold. Fergie doesn't suffer passengers gladly. He does a very important job in front of the back four that is vastly underrated. The £18m was money very well spent.
    Wes Brown is a great example of a player falling under the radar like Carrick. He won't lose you a match on his own but he does nothing outstanding. Distinctly average. Fergie uses plenty of these players who aren't good enough to to warrant their spot on a title winning side. Jonny Evans, Good Ol' Gibson and more. Carrick is a bit above that but isn't an amazing player. People just seem to think there's something special in him that just isn't there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Wes Brown is a great example of a player falling under the radar like Carrick. He won't lose you a match on his own but he does nothing outstanding. Distinctly average. .

Brown in his pomp was a fantastic full back and centre half.

The only thing that has dragged him down is injuries.

• Advertisement

Rjd2 wrote: »
    Brown in his pomp was a fantastic full back and centre half.

The only thing that has dragged him down is injuries.

+1. Anyone who says he wasn't gopd enough obviously diodn't see him in 2008, one of the rare seasons he stayed injury free. He was immense. His performance over two legs vs Barca at centre back was world class. Fergie called him the best natural defender at the club a while back.

Wes Brown is a great example of a player falling under the radar like Carrick. He won't lose you a match on his own but he does nothing outstanding. Distinctly average. Fergie uses plenty of these players who aren't good enough to to warrant their spot on a title winning side. Jonny Evans, Good Ol' Gibson and more. Carrick is a bit above that but isn't an amazing player. People just seem to think there's something special in him that just isn't there.

The difference between the other lads you nake and Carrick is tyat carrick is as lose to a first choice CM as United have. He's not world class but he's not useless either. He's a very good player who plays his role very well and ingeneral is vastly underrated. The type of player you miss when he isn't there as he does so much stuff that flies under the radar of most observers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wes Brown is a footballer. He is English and his abilties divides opinion.

Please, for the love of GOD, thank this post.

The difference between the other lads you nake and Carrick is tyat carrick is as lose to a first choice CM as United have. He's not world class but he's not useless either. He's a very good player who plays his role very well and ingeneral is vastly underrated. The type of player you miss when he isn't there as he does so much stuff that flies under the radar of most observers.
    I'm sorry but I've watched him since his Spurs days and I've seen **** all of this amazing player. I think his passing is very good but maybe the only aspect of his game that is at a United level. He's not a **** player by any means but this amazing player myth doesn't suit. He was part of a great side much in the same way Wayne Bridge was part of a great Chelsea team.

I'm sorry but I've watched him since his Spurs days and I've seen **** all of this amazing player. I think his passing is very good but maybe the only aspect of his game that is at a United level. He's not a **** player by any means but this amazing player myth doesn't suit. He was part of a great side much in the same way Wayne Bridge was part of a great Chelsea team.

^^^^^

As I said underrated by most observers.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don't think he's a terrible player but a lot of the english players are hyped up to the last. The often used term World Class has just been butchered beyond recognition, isn't it meant to mean best in that position in the world or was that lost in translation in Sky Sports narrowminded xenophobic eyes. I remember a time where they used to drone on idiotically that only Reina,Torres & Gerrard were considered to be our only great players then Xabi & Mash went to Real & Barca.

^^^^^

As I said underrated by most observers.;)
    Tell me the great things Carrick does please. And if you say "the little things", bai that's a paddlin :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭jmolloy

he's almost scared to express himself imo, quite like him just wish he'd do stuff like this more he is capable of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ50EplxTE8&feature=related

Tell me the great things Carrick does please. And if you say "the little things", bai that's a paddlin :mad:

Protects the back four well. Great positional discipline. Makes countless interceptions. When he's on form United inevitably play well, and when on form he dictates the tempo of their passing very well. To get the best of him he needs a creative midfielder beside him but I don't see thats a criticism.

I don't expect you to agree, but all this arguig just proves to me how underrated he is by your average fan. As I said earlier, when he doesn't play he is missed. Go back and watch some games from 2006-2009 to really see how good he can he. He has dipped in form oer the last coupoe opf easons, but from March onwards last season he was at his best,. He was the best player on the pitch over two legs vs Chelsea, he bossed their midfield with ease.

jmolloy wrote: »
    he's almost scared to express himself imo, quite like him just wish he'd do stuff like this more he is capable of it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ50EplxTE8&feature=related

I agree here, when he makes a high profile error he seems to retreat into his shell and stop making the good forwrd passes he's capable of. its worth bearimng in mind though that he has asked to be more defensive in recent seasons since Hargo got injured so he has less opportunity to get into the final third.

Salif Diao did the same thing for Stoke. Nothing special but did the job just fine. Give him the same job and you'd notice feck all difference really. Possibly some of the passing but Diao has better defensive qualities.

Salif Diao did the same thing for Stoke. Nothing special but did the job just fine. Give him the same job and you'd notice feck all difference really. Possibly some of the passing but Diao has better defensive qualities.

Retarded statement tbh.

Retarded statement tbh.
    If I mentioned Denilson sure. But Diao has been part of a successful Stoke team. He has all the qualities needed for the defensive midfielder role. He just hasn't been able to hide behind Rooney, Scholes. Ronaldo, Giggs or Tevez. Carrick is in a great side that can play Gibson and still win a Premier League title and contend a Champion's League final.

We beat Malaysia 6-3, not going to read too much into that when you see N'gog score two goals with ease. Nice to see Adam score all the same. City on about signing Nasri & Aguero,I can understand Aguero to replace Tevez but why do you need Nasri when you have Silva. Nasri isn't near as good when he's played out wide. Modric handed in a Transfer request for the one person who thinks he doesn't want to go.Can't get why only Chelsea are in for him,City could do worse same with Utd he has a lot more in common with Scholes than Sneijder does.

If I mentioned Denilson sure. But Diao has been part of a successful Stoke team. He has all the qualities needed for the defensive midfielder role. He just hasn't been able to hide behind Rooney, Scholes. Ronaldo, Giggs or Tevez. Carrick is in a great side that can play Gibson and still win a Premier League title and contend a Champion's League final.

He's about one tenth the footballer Carrick is. You don't hide behind anyone at United, they have one of the most ruthless mangers ever. I severely doubt he'd indulge a passenger for 5 full seasons.

Gibson is a squad player, 6th choice midfielder last season. He made a small contribution as a stand in but is irrelevant to this conversation.

• Advertisement

He's about one tenth the footballer Carrick is. You don't hide behind anyone at United, they have one of the most ruthless mangers ever. I severely doubt he'd indulge a passenger for 5 full seasons.

Gibson is a squad player, 6th choice midfielder last season. He made a small contribution as a stand in but is irrelevant to this conversation.
    Gibson wasn't a 6th choice centre-midfielder though. Serious question though in relation to passenger players. Do you think Phil Neville was a great player?

Gibson wasn't a 6th choice centre-midfielder though. Serious question though in relation to passenger players. Do you think Phil Neville was a great player?

Yeah he was

Carrick
    Giggs
    Scholes
    Anderson
    Fletcher

were all aheasd of him in the pecking order.

Phil Neville was good for what he was, a good utility player/back up player. Not everyone in the squad has to be world class, guys like JOS, Park, Neville, Gibson etc etc are vital to the modern game that relies on rotation and having a big squad. You cannot underestimate the value of a versatile player who's happy to sit most games out and come in when needed to do a competent job.

But either way these guys have no relevance in a conversation about Carrick who sin't a squad player, he's as close to a first choice Cm as United have really. He has been virtually ever present for 5 seasons.

Two diverse opinions. Let's agree to disagree on the incredible ability of Michael Carrick.

Two diverse opinions. Let's agree to disagree on the incredible ability of Michael Carrick.

Aye. All I think is he's a good player, and doesn't deserve the slating he regularly gets. Not world class by any means, but very good at what he does.

Argentina vs Uruguay What a Match! It had everything you could ask for.

Were has Kane N nite gone. Is he still posting on here

cena wrote: »
    Were has Kane N nite gone. Is he still posting on here

He's in the Wrestling Travel sub forum

Tevez is apparently leaving City for Corinthians,that'll please him at least until another one of his mood swings. Can't believe that Chile got knocked out last nite, wasn't suprised at Brazil's exit they just never got going and are missing a few players from moving forward.

He's in the Wrestling Travel sub forum

Didn't he use too post on the main wrestling forum.

• Advertisement

Yesterday was the ultimate underpants day, two GAA championship games, 2 Copa America quarter finals and the best WWE PPV since God knows when.

I love my sofa.:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement