Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

What annoys me about the winehouse tragedy is that she had the backing of her managers to give her any amount of money to go and get sorted out, to tackle the issue of WHY she used to such a degree that she would never need to go back to using.

I know we can harp on about the straight edge stuff, but this is just common sense, if a junkie in the street gutter got offered the help she got, they wouldnt look back.
    Its a sad loss to her family and friends, she was talented to a degree, but i dont get how people are coming out of the woodwork with BS statements like "I was always a massive fan". No you werent you pompous git!
    Rant over..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

WTF RTE.
    Norway Police Hunt for massacre victims

What asshole wrote that headline. Hunt is most often used when referencing a chase or search to capture or kill. Dopey ****ers could have just said search.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,423 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Frank album was better than Back to Black imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

CMpunked wrote: »
    What annoys me about the winehouse tragedy is that she had the backing of her managers to give her any amount of money to go and get sorted out, to tackle the issue of WHY she used to such a degree that she would never need to go back to using.

I know we can harp on about the straight edge stuff, but this is just common sense, if a junkie in the street gutter got offered the help she got, they wouldnt look back.

I dont think you understand how complex addiction is.

Its a sad loss to her family and friends, she was talented to a degree, but i dont get how people are coming out of the woodwork with BS statements like "I was always a massive fan". No you werent you pompous git!
    Rant over..

How is that a BS statement? She was commercially and critically successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I hope nobody minds me changing the title to focus on Norway. 92 confirmed dead; 85 in the shooting and 7 in the bombing :(
    Police detained the tall, blonde suspect, named by local media as Anders Behring Breivik, and charged him in connection with the island killing spree and the Oslo bomb blast.
    “We are being tested, our nation is being tested, but we will stand firm,” said a grave King Harald in a television address this afternoon, condemning the “attacks on Norway’s heart”.
    “Let’s stay strong in our belief that freedom is more important than fear. We will keep our belief that it is possible to live in a democratic, peaceful country.”

full article here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That video that was shown was horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭D2D

Not at all Jay

rovert wrote: »
    How is that a BS statement? She was commercially and critically successful.

Should have stated that this is what I'm seeing all over my facebook feed, from people who would have had no problem making crude and rude jokes about her when she was alive.
    Comparing her to a horse and all that crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Should have stated that this is what I'm seeing all over my facebook feed, from people who would have had no problem making crude and rude jokes about her when she was alive.
    Comparing her to a horse and all that crap.

this wrecks my head as well, ask someone yesterday what they thought of her and you'd be told she was a skanky junkie, today shes a tragic loss and blah blah. these same people who would have told you Jade Goody was an ignorant racist, but then a misunderstood girl with a heart of gold after she died, its hypocrisy at its most disgusting. nobody would give two fcuks about a junkie on the street, but one that could sing is seen as some tragic loss to the world. nobody to blame but herself imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have to say I absolutely despise Justin Roberts. Worst ring announcer ever.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    this wrecks my head as well, ask someone yesterday what they thought of her and you'd be told she was a skanky junkie, today shes a tragic loss and blah blah. these same people who would have told you Jade Goody was an ignorant racist, but then a misunderstood girl with a heart of gold after she died, its hypocrisy at its most disgusting. nobody would give two fcuks about a junkie on the street, but one that could sing is seen as some tragic loss to the world. nobody to blame but herself imo

Don't ever use Jade Goody and Amy Winehouse in an analogy ever again please. For one thng Amy Winehouse was a talented artist who had serious issues. The only similarity between them is that 2 young women died far too early.

Amy Winehouse is a tragic loss. She had an amazing and rare talent which is lost to us all now. She was only 27, so much more good music could have come from her.

TBH, I would prefer see people either fawning over her, or ignoring her death rather that seeing crap like how she brought it on herself etc. Addiction is an illness in itself. It is quite obvious an awful lot of people do not understand this. Seeing nonsense like "she was rich enough to go to rehab" has me both laughing and shaking my head in disbelief at the same time.

If you cannot say anything nice, then say nothing at all is quite appropriate in these cases.

Train crash in China killed at least 35 people :(

277799_1.jpg?ts=1311498091?ts=1311498091

Rescuers carry a body of a victim as excavators dig through the wreckage after a high speed train crashed into a stalled train in Wenzhou, Zhejiang province yesterday. Photograph: Aly Song/Reuters

Rescue workers are searching through wreckage today after a high-speed train smashed into a stalled train in eastern China, killing at least 35 and injuring 210 in China's deadliest train disaster since 2008.

The crash happened yesterday after the first train lost power due to a lightning strike and a bullet train following behind crashed into it, state media said, raising new questions about the safety of the fast-growing rail network.

full story here

Jesus, the thread titles here are getting very morbid.

gimmick wrote: »
    Jesus, the thread titles here are getting very morbid.

changed it to something a little less so, if u have any suggestions i'd love to hear it; Making me a sad panda!

Maybe just call it the Off Topic Thread?

i'll leave it up for the day so people know about China as well. Been a rough past few days for the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Change it to "Puppies, Kittens and Wuvwey fings inside" later on. Might cheer us up. :)

If you cannot say anything nice, then say nothing at all is quite appropriate in these cases.

That is very true.

For the record Jade Goody died of a terminal illness. Her story is very different.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    i'll leave it up for the day so people know about China as well. Been a rough past few days for the world.

Fair enough, I wouldn't have known about china if it wasn't for the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

One of the worst parts of what happened in norway was the way it played out on tv. They knew about the bomb attack in oslo & he was heading out to the island dressed as a police officer and was armed but it felt like hours before they had a update. It was such a surreal moment.

There was a mahusive turnout yesterday at the Dublin Zombie Walk.
    Did anyone here catch it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

TBH, I would prefer see people either fawning over her, or ignoring her death rather that seeing crap like how she brought it on herself etc. Addiction is an illness in itself. It is quite obvious an awful lot of people do not understand this. Seeing nonsense like "she was rich enough to go to rehab" has me both laughing and shaking my head in disbelief at the same time.

+1000. My best friend went through some terrible crap and ended up a heroin addict. Addiction is a horrible disease. I could write a big long-winder speech, but instead I'll just say it's terrible to see somebody die so young.

Limerick or Dublin are hardly putting the fear of god into anyone with this game.Lot of wides & not taking chances by the teams. Hope Waterford vs Galway is a better game,but not too competitive at the end.

Limerick's shooting was the absolute Shìts there. Dublin on to play Tipp now glad we'll be playing Kilkenny instead of Tipp IF we beat Waterford.

Gutless cowards abysmal performance from Galway,getting a total flaking off a team that hasn't a chance of winning a All Ireland,thank **** Tipp or Kilkenny weren't playing us today. Our backs are so bad if they had brain damage it'd be a improvement.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Gutless cowards abysmal performance from Galway,getting a total flaking off a team that hasn't a chance of winning a All Ireland,thank **** Tipp or Kilkenny weren't playing us today. Our backs are so bad
    if they had brain damage it'd be a improvement.

Yup. Rubbish altogether. What does that say about Cork though.

Delighted Uruguay won the Copa.Suarez played great & that 3rd goal was a thing of Beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Gutless cowards abysmal performance from Galway,getting a total flaking off a team that hasn't a chance of winning a All Ireland,thank **** Tipp or Kilkenny weren't playing us today. Our backs are so bad if they had brain damage it'd be a improvement.

Well that was a fun day out. We hit 18 wides and still hurled ye off the park.:eek:

I'd be under no illusions about that win, we played well and showed good character to come back from the Tipp dabacle, but in reality we beat a side that never showed up and who have too many poor players in key positions.

What the hell is up with Galway hurling?

flahavaj wrote: »
    Well that was a fun day out. We hit 18 wides and still hurled ye off the park.:eek:

I'd be under no illusions about that win, we played well and showed good character to come back from the Tipp dabacle, but in reality we beat a side that never showed up and who have too many poor players in key positions.

What the hell is up with Galway hurling?

I would love to know whats going on up here,its to do with the players anyway i'm certain of that.Thank feck yee had that many wides cause we were appaling. I think Tipp & Kilkenny are going to win both semi's handily. I was looking at Dublin vs Limerick & thinking this is poor stuff for a quarter final, then Galway go out there and completely stink the place up. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half were spectacularly bad by us.
    I hope Diabhla didn't go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I would love to know whats going on up here,its to do with the players anyway i'm certain of that.Thank feck yee had that many wides cause we were appaling. I think Tipp & Kilkenny are going to win both semi's handily. I was looking at Dublin vs Limerick & thinking this is poor stuff for a quarter final, then Galway go out there and completely stink the place up. The first 20 minutes of the 2nd half were spectacularly bad by us.
    I hope Diabhla didn't go

I doubt KK or Tipp saw anything today that'd worry them. A lot of wrrors on show that those toe would never make. Simple things like handling, controlling the ball, silly sides players taking the wrong decision. I hope we make a game of the semi but KK will beat us.

• Advertisement

Mario Balotelli is just gas,in one failed Marseille Roulette shot he summed up these total joke pre season games that football teams go to play to overseas.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement