Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Arsenal just lost the Eusebio cup there to Benfica.Wenger probably lost it intentionally to avoid paying for another seat on the plane for it such is his cheapness

• Registered Users Posts: 86,422 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Happy Birthday Charisteas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

flahavaj wrote: »
    There must be more fundamental problems in Galway GAA than the managers. ye keep getting new men in in both codes and aruably have gone backwards. I'm not sure there is a county that underperformaing so much relative to the size of its GAA playing population and level of talent available. Its crazy.

As an outsider, I see Galway as very similar to the English soccer team. The over reactions to ANY decent young players are the same. The way they blame managers are similar. The "this is our year" comments are the same. The "we are the worst team ever" reactions to their defeats are the same. The discussions about imagined teams of the future involving young lads of about 17 and 18 are the same (my favourite moment after every tournament is the English media printing a mock-up 11 that will win the next World Cup). The "we have the best clubs/league/county championship" out there comments are the same. The sense of entitlement and expectation that they are a top drawer team are the same. And the total lack of a winning mentality is the same. Neither can see things out when it matters.

The compare that to Kilkenny and Tipperary or Spain, Barcelona, Man United etc. Winners tend to have winning attitudes. I love the Kilkenny hurling teams attitude. Cody has no time for BS. There are no fads, no running up mountains at 4am because a successful team ran up hills at 6am the year before. They do the simple things well and react to any setback with calm. Other counties would have got their knickers in a twist over the All Ireland last year. Ditto Ferguson and they way United reacted to losing the title in 2010. They just got on with things and had no over reactions.

Whereas Galway and England over react every single time and the effect of that over long periods of time leads to the situation they have now. Getting back to basics is what Galway need to do. Pick a manager for the hurling and football teams and give them 5 years. Cody and Ferguson show the success of long-term building.

I've rambled a lot there...:pac: That's what happens when you go out for a few drinks to watch the match :P

Don't dare compare us to Engerfùckinglund. Nobody here said its going to be our year,i'd of taken a shot of a semi this year but it didn't happen, we nearly beat Tipp last year and I thought bit of hard work and we can perhaps catch a team like that on a bad day. But our performances against Dublin & Waterford were two of our worst of the last 5-10 years in the Championship. As for our Footballers I don't think one person in the county thought we'd win Connacht never mind get far in the championship.

I was speaking extremely broadly in that post. Not every single thing I said happens every single time, nor did I say they applied at all times to both the football and hurling teams. Nonetheless, there are big similarities. Look at the ups and downs over this season. The hurling team were derided after the Dublin game (terrible, awful, "sack" the manager etc). The after the Cork game, the All Ireland was mentioned a lot. Now we are back to them being awful again and championing corner forwards who have just done their junior cert. The boom, bust, despair, hope cycle seems perpetual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A bit sick of the Galway GAA bitching TBH. So many critics yet so little willing to take the mantle and change us.

Also the comparison with England was a bit unfair. We've won something in the last 40 years.

A bit sick of the Galway GAA bitching TBH. So many critics yet so little willing to take the mantle and change us.

Also the comparison with England was a bit unfair. We've won something in the last 40 years.

Aside from the fact that the comparison was merely illustrative (i.e the difference between a winning mentality and one of failure), there's been more All Ireland finals than World Cups in those 40 years. England didn't have a virtual bye to the semi-final either for many of those years like Galway did.

As for the "mantle", many have actually tried. Many men who may have actually succeeded had they been supported by the county.

I was speaking extremely broadly in that post. Not every single thing I said happens every single time, nor did I say they applied at all times to both the football and hurling teams. Nonetheless, there are big similarities. Look at the ups and downs over this season. The hurling team were derided after the Dublin game (terrible, awful, "sack" the manager etc). The after the Cork game, the All Ireland was mentioned a lot. Now we are back to them being awful again and championing corner forwards who have just done their junior cert. The boom, bust, despair, hope cycle seems perpetual.

You went too far with the England jab. If we played anyway near as good against Waterford than we did against Cork we could be playing Kilkenny tomorrow (I DEFINETLY wouldn't have us as favourites if we did) but we weren't able to handle the early storm what every person in the country knew was coming our way after the Munster final & had absolutely no response to it. I wouldn't sack McIntyre at all either not suprised O'Flatharta got sacked as its a revolving door & we'd a rotten year getting relegated in the league and exiting the championship quickly that was enough for the county board to pull the trigger with their itchy finger. The one thing we must focus on moving forward is the fitness if you watch any of the championship this year it is vital and we've been left behind in that area imo

What's with the hatred of being compared to England? England is not a horrible word or a "jab". Anyway I stand by the comparison (particularly under the terms I mentioned earlier.)

Former champions? Check. Huge playing pool? Check. Successful club teams? Check. Long period without success at county/international level? Check. Talented individuals not gelling as a team? Check. Constant focus on the "next big thing"? Check. Superstars who have actually won very little at county/international level? Check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Galway = Liverpool. Over 20 years without a championship, have the pedigree and think they have the players but consistently fall short.

• Advertisement

With Liverpool, the Three Degrees of Failure are now complete :pac:

Sorry lads I'm not having a go at Galway, it is just that perpetually "underachieving" teams have a lot in common. The same way that perpetually successful teams have things in common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

My comment was a general one as every single person has criticism for Galway sport. We have problems sure but for our population and talent at underage we should be more successful than we are. The underage system is fine but when it comes to the senior panels in both codes we struggle to get these lads through the ranks. The bull**** payment of players who fail to perform doesn't help matters either.

Here's my solution. Start from the ground up. Get rid of the panel and set up county-wide trials to find the best players. Give them a year or two to gel and see what happens instead of struggling again and again. Maybe Diabhal will get his chance to win his All-Ireland medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

This is why I love the game.:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCtjU9iZ-U

New Zealand are still waiting 24 years to win a WC (despite clearly being the best test team the last 25 years) so I think our plight can be put in a bit of context.We ain't nowhere near as good at what we do than NZ but it'll come eventually & beside Kilkenny or Tipp I don't see anybody is winning one in the forseeable future not Cork,not Clare,not Dublin,not Wexford,not Limerick,not Waterford,not Offally, not us either. Pretty sure you'd have to beat both to win it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

UFC is sport level boring, I miss it being great pseudo- pro wrestling.

Seen bollock in UFC there

rovert wrote: »
    Seen bollock in UFC there

WTF was he thinking wearing that,got what he deserved. Here is your winner Brian "DJ Carey" Ebersole.

alan-partridge-lg.jpg

rovert wrote: »
    alan-partridge-lg.jpg

I'm glad his pants didn't perish like the underwear in Alan's shorts. If Belfort loses this he should retire losing to this lad.

Good man Akiyama put up the fight I imagined you would,there is always the japanese stereotype Radox ads for you. Ah espn wtf I wanted to see does Conan look anygood,surely it'll be shown some night Raw is on anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Goal for the Week - Get into the thread title.

*HIc*

goal achieved!

last night out before i feck off back to Asia.... check

ill be in pain tommorow

UFC 133 was about as good as I thought it'd be,UFC would want to start putting on solid cards soon its at the stage where they'd let anyone on the main card as long as there is 2 or 3 Big names on the rest of the card

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Happy birthday Charisteas!!!
    Fuck you Charisteas!
    Happy Birthday Charisteas!

hug_msg_incident.jpg?w=180&h=252

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Charisteas

kanelita1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

GTR63 wrote: »
    Arsenal just lost the Eusebio cup there to Benfica.Wenger probably lost it intentionally to avoid paying for another seat on the plane for it such is his cheapness

Although i'm glad to see Arsenal seemingly reverting back to 4-4-2 with Gervinho and RVP up front, they still need a new centre back to partner Vermaelen and a left back as I don't think Gibbs is up to being first choice yet. Would also like to see signing Joey Barton as we need a hard as nails cnut in the middle.

GTR63 wrote: »
    New Zealand are still waiting 24 years to win a WC (despite clearly being the best test team the last 25 years) so I think our plight can be put in a bit of context.We ain't nowhere near as good at what we do than NZ but it'll come eventually & beside Kilkenny or Tipp I don't see anybody is winning one in the forseeable future not Cork,not Clare,not Dublin,not Wexford,not Limerick,not Waterford,not Offally, not us either. Pretty sure you'd have to beat both to win it too.

Like I said with the England comparison, 24 years in hurling=24 failed attempts. Rugby and soccer World Cups are every 4 years,so NZ or England have far less opportunities to win their respective World Cups.

As for not being able to see anybody break through, it's only a few years since people were saying Cork and Kilkenny could not be defeated. Then along come Tipp and Cork faded away. You can guarantee that will change again. Cork, Tipp and Kilkenny are likely to always be there or thereabouts, but history shows they can still be beaten. Look at Clare, Offaly and Wexford in the 90s. Clare got 2 unmerciful hammerings in the early 90s and then came out and won the following All Ireland. Things can change pretty quickly.

Oh and belated Happy Charisteas Day

021.jpg

Charisteas wrote: »
    Although i'm glad to see Arsenal seemingly reverting back to 4-4-2 with Gervinho and RVP up front, they still need a new centre back to partner Vermaelen and a left back as I don't think Gibbs is up to being first choice yet. Would also like to see signing Joey Barton as we need a hard as nails cnut in the middle.

Always thought yee missed a trick not signing van Bommel in January he's old but he's the type of player that you need. I'd be signing up Lugano too been a fan of him since I seen him play for Sao Paulo,he's not quick but wouldn't back down from a scrap unlike weakbody Koscielny, or the hopeless Djourou & Squillaci. I wouldn't want Barton around the place,Tiote would be a much better signing. He'd cost a lot more which is a problem for Wenger it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Community Shield Spoilers
    Glory, Glory, Man United :D

• Advertisement

That was a odd 2nd half,just seemed to drift to its conclusion. I think Waterford will be kicking themselves for all the wides, Kilkenny weren't great and missed as many as Waterford did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement