Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    NME are alright in my book, they are the only media outlet that give Oasis the respect these days.:pac:

Other than two albums in 1993 and 1995 respectively, what the hell have Oasis done to deserve any respect other than have their core two members act like total jackasses privately and publically?

Honestly, I'm no Oasis fan, but i do appreciate their contributions to the alternative/indie/britplop scene. But Be Here Now, Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants, Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe The Truth are all the same sh*t under the different name!

And they're never gonna be as big as they were either because unfortunately for the brothers Gallagher, it's not 1996 anymore and the Britplop scene has died it's death, sh*tting itself in the process.

Degag wrote: »
    Lol, i never saw the yellow card icon thinggy before!:D

Yep, yellow card for a warning, red card for infraction and then banhammer comes out.

Unless in extreme circumstances. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Other than two albums in 1993 and 1995 respectively, what the hell have Oasis done to deserve any respect other than have their core two members act like total jackasses privately and publically?

Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory are unsurprisingly their best work, but I don't care what anyone says, their last three albums are still better than most of the shit out right now called "indie". The genre is full of a bunch of posers to be honest.
    Honestly, I'm no Oasis fan, but i do appreciate their contributions to the alternative/indie/britplop scene. But Be Here Now, Standing On The Shoulders Of Giants, Heathen Chemistry and Don't Believe The Truth are all the same sh*t under the different name!

I'll give you SOTSOG and maybe Heathen Chemistry, but I certainly rate Be Here Now and Don't Believe The Truth and certainly don't believe that they have the same sound. Be Here Now may be too long, but nearly all the songs are pretty solid. Stand by Me, All Around The World and D'You Know What I Mean are fantastic songs. Even the songs that were quite clearly directed at cracking the American market, such as Don't Go Away and I Hope, I Think, I Know are very good songs. It's a solid album that is panned for not living up to the impossible heights of the first two albums.

As far as Don't Believe The Truth goes, it's a good album and I'd take it any day over any of the other crap classed as indie right now. Lyla, Mucky Fingers, The Importance of Being Idle, The Meaning of Soul, and Let There Be Love are fantastic songs.
    And they're never gonna be as big as they were either because unfortunately for the brothers Gallagher, it's not 1996 anymore and the Britplop scene has died it's death, sh*tting itself in the process.

I do agree on this and I find it quite sad that the youth of today rate the likes of The Kooks, Bloc Party, and Keane a head of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Yep, yellow card for a warning, red card for infraction and then banhammer comes out.

Very similar to my behavioural system in school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Barca V Sevilla about to kick off. Got to say I am nervous :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Who do you support?

Guys, you think we got hit bad this year.

The guys in the UK got well and truly f*cked over with their budget! Tax raises up to 50% for some earners! At least they have the right idea over there. F*ck over the higher earners first, and then come back to the middle and working class the second time around as a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Guys, you think we got hit bad this year.

The guys in the UK got well and truly f*cked over with their budget! Tax raises up to 50% for some earners! At least they have the right idea over there. F*ck over the higher earners first, and then come back to the middle and working class the second time around as a last resort.

Yeah! Communism ftw!

amacachi wrote: »
    Yeah! Communism ftw!

Less people crossing the border for their booze now, they're all f*cked :D

gimmick wrote: »
    Barca V Sevilla about to kick off. Got to say I am nervous :(

You think you're nervous now? CCFC's final game ever is next week isn't it? :D

• Advertisement

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Definitely Maybe and What's The Story Morning Glory are unsurprisingly their best work, but I don't care what anyone says, their last three albums are still better than most of the shit out right now called "indie". The genre is full of a bunch of posers to be honest.

It always was!! Blur were posing gits long before Parklife, so were Pulp before His N Hers. That's part of it. And Oasis had to be the biggest posers of the britplop indie scene. They didn't even have an original note in their head, most of their sh*t had been done to death before, their generation of fans just didn't bother going through their older brothers cd collection from five years earlier.

Didn't bother responding to the rest as i'm quite biased against Oasis so I wouldn't really be able to give a fair discussion on it. :)
    I do agree on this and I find it quite sad that the youth of today rate the likes of The Kooks, Bloc Party, and Keane a head of them.

To be fair, Keane's first two albums are decent enough. I will give you The Kooks and Bloc Party, come back in five years and see if anyone still gives a sh*t about you.

I think James did it best with "Destiny Calling"
    "So we may be gorgeous, so we may be famous, come back when we're getting old"

That lyric was written in 1995 I think, think of so many bands that have fallen into that category since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Who do you support?

Barca. So far so good at half time anyway :)
    You think you're nervous now? CCFC's final game ever is next week isn't it? :D

Meh, everything is grand again. it won't be in about 6 weeks then, and in about 9 weeks it will all be okay again. Its a recurring cycle which we get swallowed up in every time. Surprised I ain't gray or bald from the fúckers.

Less people crossing the border for their booze now, they're all f*cked :D

What makes ya say that?

What makes ya say that?

Taxes are going up on alcohol in the UK too I think, which means booze won't be as cheap up there. Whereas it didn't go up here. It won't be worth the petrol money for some.

gimmick wrote: »
    Meh, everything is grand again. it won't be in about 6 weeks then, and in about 9 weeks it will all be okay again. Its a recurring cycle which we get swallowed up in every time. Surprised I ain't gray or bald from the fúckers.

Ah you must be wrecked from dodging all those bullets ;)

Taxes are going up on alcohol in the UK too I think, which means booze won't be as cheap up there. Whereas it didn't go up here. It won't be worth the petrol money for some.

Yeah but by sweet FA. And most people wouldn't be going up north if the differential was marginal, even with increases there it's still ridiculous the proce difference. 10.99 sterling for a litre of Glen's vodka, oh no, it'll go up to about 11.30 :P
    If anything I've been seeing less and less offers on drink this side of the border and my beloved Smithwicks has gone up in price in every shop and offy around.

Yeah but by sweet FA. And most people wouldn't be going up north if the differential was marginal, even with increases there it's still ridiculous the proce difference. 10.99 sterling for a litre of Glen's vodka, oh no, it'll go up to about 11.30 :P
    If anything I've been seeing less and less offers on drink this side of the border and my beloved Smithwicks has gone up in price in every shop and offy around.

Smithwicks?
    Any respect i ever had for you just went down the swanny, my man! :)

I'm quitting after this weekend. Spent the last two weeks cutting down, off it after Sunday! :D

Which means, i'm gonna be even harder to deal with!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

its fine.. Tesco have the answer to recession drinking.

3 litres of tesco cider: 5.99.

Thats in one bottle.
    Easier to transport.

Ya spend 12 euro before going out, and you are SORTED for the rest of the night.

It doesnt taste to bad, and the hangovers arent the worst either.

HONESTLY!!

Cider? Christ, i now remember why I'm glad that I'm not 16 anymore. :)

Cider? Christ, i now remember why I'm glad that I'm not 16 anymore. :)

Im 19....OLDIE!!:D

why are you glad?! your refined tastes are costing ya!

slum it out in the fields with a big bottle of tesky drysky and youll save save save!!

• Advertisement

Im 19....OLDIE!!:D

why are you glad?! your refined tastes are costing ya!

slum it out in the fields with a big bottle of tesky drysky and youll save save save!!

Not costing me diddly squat! I'm quitting after this weekend. :D

Oh were ALL "quitting after this weekend"

:p

Oh were ALL "quitting after this weekend"

:p

Did it for seven years before pal, can do it again if i really want to. Just didn't want to before, but after Good Friday's disagreement (I wanted Jack Daniels to stay in, he wanted to move on out), so i'm giving Jack his farewell party this weekend. ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Did it for seven years before pal, can do it again if i really want to. Just didn't want to before, but after Good Friday's disagreement (I wanted Jack Daniels to stay in, he wanted to move on out), so i'm giving Jack his farewell party this weekend. ;)

Thin glasses are your enemy.........

seven years?? fair play! what years if you dont mind me asking?

like what age were you?

like what age were you?

Between 23 and 30. First three months were a killer, after that ordering a non alcoholic beer or a coke just became a habit.

Nearly killed a mate for trying to make me drink an alcoholic becks poured into a non alcoholic bottle. As gimmick says in his sig, evil i can tolerate, but stupidity? ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

like what age were you?

SR please don't say between the ages of 0 and 7

EDIT: You got in too fast.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Thin glasses are your enemy.........

It was the thick ones! the glass was about as thick as the rim of a coffee cup, and i'm pouring what i think is a double, but is actually more like a quadruple into this thing!.

I was actually scared to order one in Bruxelles on Saturday!

DM-ICE wrote: »
    SR please don't say between the ages of 0 and 7

EDIT: You got in too fast.

Gotta get in there quicker than that, Dangermice. :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

its fine.. Tesco have the answer to recession drinking.

3 litres of tesco cider: 5.99.

Ya spend 12 euro before going out, and you are SORTED for the rest of the night.

You hardly drink 6 litres of cider before you go out?

I'd be a fan of pear cider ona hot day with ice only the 1 or 2 mind there very sweet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement