Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

amacachi wrote: »
    If you find someone tell them to give me a shout, 400 quid, take it or leave it.

I heard in work of someone who bought a second hand one for around 9k 22 months ago and was only offered 3K trade in recently.. another couple of months and she might take 400.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Unless you're someone who's never gonna be happy with what they have.:P

Well that's it, a lot of the time i just leave the apartment and go on a two hour walk because i'm sick over everything that my money could buy.
    Hey! Don't be at that!

You both knew i was jesting, if you didn't by now, then you should have done! :)

DM-ICE wrote: »
    This might be my evil side coming out... thats not 100% true, in many cases people who bought them will find they can't trade them in and can't sell them... they are stuck with them!:D

Trust me, when it comes crunch time and they need to pay the mortgage/rent/heroin dealer, they'll sell and take whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    You both knew i was jesting, if you didn't by now, then you should have done! :)

Of course we know you enough by now :rolleyes:

While on the topic of people who like to look flashy in big white land rovers etc:

Possibly the funniest thing ive seen all day (thursday) :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Recession hasn't really affected me monetarily. I'm pretty much leading the same lifestyle I always have. Problem is, I expected to have done much better, what with my facy degree in Should Have Seen This Coming Studies (Economics). I've had enough of the job market at this stage so I'm heading back to college in September to further over-educate myself.

re: cars, I'm yet to notice an 09 reg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I heard in work of someone who bought a second hand one for around 9k 22 months ago and was only offered 3K trade in recently.. another couple of months and she might take 400.
    That's gotta really sting.
    Well that's it, a lot of the time i just leave the apartment and go on a two hour walk because i'm sick over everything that my money could buy.
    Don't get ya.

Recession hasn't really affected me monetarily. I'm pretty much leading the same lifestyle I always have. Problem is, I expected to have done much better, what with my facy degree in Should Have Seen This Coming Studies (Economics). I've had enough of the job market at this stage so I'm heading back to college in September to further over-educate myself.

Education in some form or another is the only way to go really with the current economic climate. Jobs in IT are like gold dust, and a rake of recruitment agencies offering bogus jobs so they can try and screw you over doesn't give one much incentive to look. Education on the other hand, gives you a rest from all that sh*te.

Seen a few of em around Dublin City Centre alright.

Seen a good number myself, fairly sure I saw the reg's in Louth up over 2000 a month or so ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

*hic*

• Advertisement

Education in some form or another is the only way to go really with the current economic climate. Jobs in IT are like gold dust, and a rake of recruitment agencies offering bogus jobs so they can try and screw you over doesn't give one much incentive to look. Education on the other hand, gives you a rest from all that sh*te.
    Aye, I applied for a job there last week. The folks asked for my PPS number, bank account number. and my mother's fricken maiden name. Along with my address, thats pretty much all you'd need for a bit of identity theft.

I'm sure I'll get plenty of disagreement on this but I think most of the country is overeducated as it is.
    I have a layman's interest in Economics so I'm sure you're better placed than me with an opinion on this, but do you really think the general education level of a country has that big an effect on investment into it? When you consider that most of the jobs with be menial/manual/unskilled surely we don't need that many people with degrees?

orestes wrote: »
    *hic*

Must be all the talk of penny pinching that pushed him over the edge.

*hic*
    I'm jealous. Just home from the night shift, and I'm too tired to get drunk.

Must be all the talk of penny pinching that pushed him over the edge.

No Drama pub quiz, fun fun fun :)
    I'm jealous. Just home from the night shift, and I'm too tired to get drunk.

I have vodka, but I ain't sharing :pac:

*hic*

Aw no, the town drunk fell in the door again! ;)

Don't get ya.

Basically, when i had a job, i bought everything i could to prepare me for boredom stations when this hit. Now seven months in, i find myself at the stage where i can only watch DVDs, play games consoles etc for so long that i get sick of that too.

Aw no, the town drunk fell in the door again! ;)

Lovable drunken rascal I'll have you know :)

I have a layman's interest in Economics so I'm sure you're better placed than me with an opinion on this, but do you really think the general education level of a country has that big an effect on investment into it? When you consider that most of the jobs with be menial/manual/unskilled surely we don't need that many people with degrees?
    Yup. Investment would be correlated with general levels of education. When people talk about investment, its usually in areas that require degrees or qualifications, so the more people who have those skills, the better our chances. Manual and unskilled labour can grow up around investment, like cleaners or a shop around the corner etc, but they are surplus to the actual investment itself.

Basically, when i had a job, i bought everything i could to prepare me for boredom stations when this hit. Now seven months in, i find myself at the stage where i can only watch DVDs, play games consoles etc for so long that i get sick of that too.

Ah right yeah. Too much of anything gets old quick. What I meant was more the people who have to have stuff for the sake of it. HAVE to get the latest games console, new games, musical instruments etc. etc., even if they rarely if ever use them. And whatever they don't have they want want want.

• Advertisement

I'm sure I'll get plenty of disagreement on this but I think most of the country is overeducated as it is.

No, the country THINKS it's overeducated from a load of people doing a course for a year, dropping out rather, rinse and repeat for the next course. And there's the ones who think that going to college tells them that they have common sense and cop on when in actuality, it's far from the case.

But like yourself, i'm sure i'll have a lot of people disagreeing with me too.

I have vodka, but I ain't sharing :pac:
    And I have a bottle of Teacher's, but if I decided to drink it I'd just fall asleep instead of getting drunk. Nice to know you're stingy, tho :P

Yup. Investment would be correlated with general levels of education. When people talk about investment, its usually in areas that require degrees or qualifications, so the more people who have those skills, the better our chances. Manual and unskilled labour can grow up around investment, like cleaners or a shop around the corner etc, but they are surplus to the actual investment itself.

Yep but how many of the jobs in Dell etc. required someone with a degree? And I mean actually needed someone with a degree, not just the fact that 75%+ had one so they made it part of the criteria. IMO wages and taxes had and have a far greater importance.

Nice to know you're stingy, tho :P

I'll keep this in mind at the next TDC beers :p

No, the country THINKS it's overeducated from a load of people doing a course for a year, dropping out rather, rinse and repeat for the next course. And there's the ones who think that going to college tells them that they have common sense and cop on when in actuality, it's far from the case.

But like yourself, i'm sure i'll have a lot of people disagreeing with me too.

I just meant in terms of inward investment etc. Companies are moving to Poland etc., did they suddenly improve the education of everyone despite many people leaving the country? Or is it just that the lower wages over there now outweigh the low corporation tax here?

Yep but how many of the jobs in Dell etc. required someone with a degree? And I mean actually needed someone with a degree, not just the fact that 75%+ had one so they made it part of the criteria.
    Companies are generally smart enough to do things because they're profitable. They look for people with degrees, not only for their technical skills, but for their analytical reasoning. Degrees are also a signalling method by potential workers to show how smart they are, or a screening method by companies which helps them pick the brightest and most hard working people.
    orestes wrote:
    I'll keep this in mind at the next TDC beers
    Yeah, you missed the last beers. It was scandalous.

Yeah, you missed the last beers. It was scandalous.

What the deuce?!

Every time I was in there it said in the beers thread title date to be decided or something like that, when the hell was the beers?! Grrrrrrr!

Companies are generally smart enough to do things because they're profitable. They look for people with degrees, not only for their technical skills, but for their analytical reasoning. Degrees are also a signalling method by potential workers to show how smart they are, or a screening method by companies which helps them pick the brightest and most hard working people.

Again, do you think the reason companies came here was that workers on the production line had degrees or because they could get a bigger profit than elsewhere.

I think the importance of education nationally as a means to get investment is way overstated.

What the deuce?!

Every time I was in there it said in the beers thread title date to be decided or something like that, when the hell was the beers?! Grrrrrrr!
    There was one... 5 months and 9 days ago (no prizes for guessing why I have to remember that date hence forth)
    amacachi wrote:
    Again, do you think the reason companies came here was that workers on the production line had degrees or because they could get a bigger profit than elsewhere.

I think the importance of education nationally as a means to get investment is way overstated.
    Silly rabbit. You added an 'or' where no or need exist. Companies came here because it was profitable. Why was it profitable? Taxes were low, we had access to the European market, wages were lower than in most of the rest of Europe, and beause Irish workers were smart enough for the companies to want to hire. Its a cocktail. You mentioned previously that Poland is now receiving a lot of investment. They also happen to be well educated. That guy who served you a Big Mac two years ago had a degree in Biochemistry. I'm not in accademia at the moment, so I can't crunch the numbers for you, but if you were to map investment against level of education, I'm 100% certain you'd find a positive correlation.

• Advertisement

Silly rabbit. You added an 'or' where no or need exist. Companies came here because it was profitable. Why was it profitable? Taxes were low, we had access to the European market, wages were lower than in most of the rest of Europe, and beause Irish workers were smart enough for the companies to want to hire. Its a cocktail. You mentioned previously that Poland is now receiving a lot of investment. They also happen to be well educated. That guy who served you a Big Mac two years ago had a degree in Biochemistry. I'm not in accademia at the moment, so I can't crunch the numbers for you, but if you were to map investment against level of education, I'm 100% certain you'd find a positive correlation.

Does correlation = causation though? :) I get that it comes down to a combination of factors, but surely in a manufacturing situation education is less important than in other sectors? I'm not saying it's unskilled as such, but it's mostly on-the-job training.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement