Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lynnsback

What exactly is ununtu 8.10?

Also, what is the answer to that riddle?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

lynnsback wrote: »
    What exactly is ununtu 8.10?

Also, what is the answer to that riddle?

The riddler was banned! You will have to PM to find out.

Re 8.10, i dunno what it is, but i'm sure we will find out, i'm assuming the post was made as an invitation to ask what it was. The soon to be teacher wants to educate us............:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Wonder if he meant Ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I meant ubuntu, it's a distribution of Linux.
    What is Linux? It's a PC's alternative to WinblowsWindows.

Riddle what now?

ShawnRaven wrote: »

Riddle what now?

Assuming it was CBGs poser a few pages back about a girl, a guy, a funeral, and (Say it like Taggert) MURDER.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Answer: She reasoned that if the guy appeared at her mother's funeral, then he might appear another family funeral.

If you answered this correctly, you think like a psychopath. This was a test by a famous American psychologist used to test if one has the same mentality as a killer. Many arrested serial killers took part in this test and answered correctly.

Supposedly anyways.

I tried on a few mates in college 2 of em said the answer right away and they both have the same name first and surname weird

And now that Linux is tweaked and is now my 100% replacement for Vista, i present to you my gorgeous desktop. :D

linux-screen3.jpg

You may now, be jealous :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

You know who I'd love to book in the Draft celebrity round? Eamonn Dunphy. Great heel: "I've managed no-one but I've managed to survive the last 63 and a half years!" Unreal.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    You know who I'd love to book in the Draft celebrity round? Eamonn Dunphy. Great heel: "I've managed no-one but I've managed to survive the last 63 and a half years baby!" Unreal.:pac:

You left out the best bit

And now that Linux is tweaked and is now my 100% replacement for Vista, i present to you my gorgeous desktop. :D

You may now, be jealous :)

What kinda hardware have you? I'm tempted to move away from Vista but the laptop is only single core processor with 1GB of RAM so I'm doubtful it'd be worth it.

• Advertisement

amacachi wrote: »
    What kinda hardware have you?

And like the typical geek in me, i thought you'd never ask!

Dell Studio 1735:

17" widescreen
    Intel Dual Core T3200 (2Ghz)
    320GB S-ATA drive (awaiting the internal bay to stick in a second 320GB in there
    2GB RAM (upgrading to 4GB next week)
    Intel 965 onboard graphics, crap for gaming but i've consoles for that, VGA + HDMI (no DVI for some reason)
    Dell wireless LAN card (picked up automatically by both Vista and Ubuntu)
    Onboard HD sound, although most of the sound goes through a Creative Xmod USB hooked to a 5.1 surround system.

Don't think i'm missing much else for laptop specs. Got a good deal for 400 squid, two months ago, and i got 150 euro back on a junker i sold for scrap. :D
    I'm tempted to move away from Vista but the laptop is only single core processor with 1GB of RAM so I'm doubtful it'd be worth it.

Vista isn't resource hungry at all, in fact it has a tendency to work very well on old junkers because Microcrap Bloatware isn't crippling it. Download the cd from the ubuntu site. It's a Live CD so it'll boot and run instantly. Nice way of determing if your hardware is compatible. Been a Linux user for 10 years now, never looked back. :)

And like the typical geek in me, i thought you'd never ask!

Dell Studio 1735:

17" widescreen
    Intel Dual Core T3200 (2Ghz)
    320GB S-ATA drive (awaiting the internal bay to stick in a second 320GB in there
    2GB RAM (upgrading to 4GB next week)
    Intel 965 onboard graphics, crap for gaming but i've consoles for that, VGA + HDMI (no DVI for some reason)
    Dell wireless LAN card (picked up automatically by both Vista and Ubuntu)
    Onboard HD sound, although most of the sound goes through a Creative Xmod USB hooked to a 5.1 surround system.

Don't think i'm missing much else for laptop specs. Got a good deal for 400 squid, two months ago, and i got 150 euro back on a junker i sold for scrap. :D
    Sure why not stick a 500 in if you're buying one? :P I bought my laptop just before the prices crashed around 18 months ago, which was somewhat annoying. :P
    Vista isn't resource hungry at all, in fact it has a tendency to work very well on old junkers because Microcrap Bloatware isn't crippling it. Download the cd from the ubuntu site. It's a Live CD so it'll boot and run instantly. Nice way of determing if your hardware is compatible. Been a Linux user for 10 years now, never looked back. :)

Assuming you meant Ubuntu at the start of that. :P I'd guess it would be less resource-intensive than Vista. Vista seems to use more RAM just to put a blank desktop on the screen than my 512MB RAM P4 desktop used when running 20+ browser tabs, MSN, Azureus, Winamp etc. etc. It must've taken effort for them to make it so bad. :P

How's most of the compatibility with Ubuntu these days? Remember a while back a mate of a mate tried setting it up, took over a week of fiddling around to get it workable, and another while to get it to his liking.

Sure why not stick a 500 in if you're buying one? :P I bought my laptop just before the prices crashed around 18 months ago, which was somewhat annoying. :P

Cos i already have a 320GB lying around as an external that doesn't get used that much. :)
    Assuming you meant Ubuntu at the start of that. :P I'd guess it would be less resource-intensive than Vista. Vista seems to use more RAM just to put a blank desktop on the screen than my 512MB RAM P4 desktop used when running 20+ browser tabs, MSN, Azureus, Winamp etc. etc. It must've taken effort for them to make it so bad. :P

Yeah, i meant Ubuntu.
    Vista requires 1GB alone to run, and that's before you throw any applications and running processes which would probably be the cause of your problems. I actually find Vista ok once you make the tweaks and disable half the services is throws on, but i'm more a fan of Linux, it runs faster, and is prone to a lot less viruses.
    How's most of the compatibility with Ubuntu these days? Remember a while back a mate of a mate tried setting it up, took over a week of fiddling around to get it workable, and another while to get it to his liking.

Depends on what you mean by compatibility. DVD playing functionality and mp3 playing functionality is stripped down deliberately as the codecs can't be given away free with the OS for legal purposes and licences, but can be downloaded seperately and installed by the user. If you're talking about hardware compatibility, mine picked up every piece of hardware off the bat. I had no problems with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭steod

I meant ubuntu, it's a distribution of Linux.
    What is Linux? It's a PC's alternative to WinblowsWindows.

Riddle what now?

How did the install of Ubuntu go for you ? I downloaded the 8.10 live cd but have put off installing it until college finishes in case any thing went pear shaped with the install.

Cos i already have a 320GB lying around as an external that doesn't get used that much. :)
    Thought that might be it.

Yeah, i meant Ubuntu.
    Vista requires 1GB alone to run, and that's before you throw any applications and running processes which would probably be the cause of your problems. I actually find Vista ok once you make the tweaks and disable half the services is throws on, but i'm more a fan of Linux, it runs faster, and is prone to a lot less viruses.
    I've so much disabled on this it's not even funny. Don't even have any anti-virus stuff running that I can tell of. :P
    Viruses have never been a problem for me on any computer I've used, and I've never had any anti-virus stuff past the trial period. :D :P
    Depends on what you mean by compatibility. DVD playing functionality and mp3 playing functionality is stripped down deliberately as the codecs can't be given away free with the OS for legal purposes and licences, but can be downloaded seperately and installed by the user. If you're talking about hardware compatibility, mine picked up every piece of hardware off the bat. I had no problems with it. :)
    Aye, hardware stuff I was thinking of. On this laptop the battery is down to about 5 minutes of life when fully charged. I know it should make no difference but I'm nearly afraid to do anything on it, computers seem to have a habit of breaking on me, always something completely irrelevant to what I was doing. Maybe I'm not as lucky with viruses as I think I am. :P

Would you recommend Ubuntu over the other Linux distros for just browsing and chatting etc.? Planning to get the old desktop up and running and stick a nice big harddrive in it to use a media server of sorts for the PS3 and XBox. :)

Thought that might be it.

I was gonna get a 500GB laptop drive, but reckon i'd benefit more with double the RAM, which has also plummeted in price. :) Mightn't be a bad idea to pick up some RAM for your own system actually, 1GB is a joke for a Vista system!
    I've so much disabled on this it's not even funny. Don't even have any anti-virus stuff running that I can tell of. :P
    Viruses have never been a problem for me on any computer I've used, and I've never had any anti-virus stuff past the trial period. :D :P

And i bet you go to the dentist and ask for him to do the work without the injection too, don't you? :P
    Aye, hardware stuff I was thinking of. On this laptop the battery is down to about 5 minutes of life when fully charged. I know it should make no difference but I'm nearly afraid to do anything on it, computers seem to have a habit of breaking on me, always something completely irrelevant to what I was doing. Maybe I'm not as lucky with viruses as I think I am. :P

A virus should never screw with your battery though, lol.
    Windows, period has a tendency to break on anyone after about five months, it's the OS's average lifespan. Unfortunately the average Joe Schmo user is oblivious to this.
    Would you recommend Ubuntu over the other Linux distros for just browsing and chatting etc.? Planning to get the old desktop up and running and stick a nice big harddrive in it to use a media server of sorts for the PS3 and XBox. :)

Well Ubuntu is now my primary OS on my laptop. And i use it for MSN, browsing, listening to music, and watching DVDs as well as my college stuff (Openoffice.org is fully compatible with MSOffice 2007 as long as you save out the files in Office 97/2000/XP format.

I'd say get a copy of ubuntu, run it off the CD for a little bit and see how you feel about it. If you have 20GB of hard drive space, dual boot it with Vista and keep Vista hanging around for a bit in case Ubuntu is not for you in the long run.

I was gonna get a 500GB laptop drive, but reckon i'd benefit more with double the RAM, which has also plummeted in price. :) Mightn't be a bad idea to pick up some RAM for your own system actually, 1GB is a joke for a Vista system!
    Home Premium as well.

And i bet you go to the dentist and ask for him to do the work without the injection too, don't you? :P
    I think not opening emails or clicking links other than from people I know might help too. :P Never needed an injection had the dentist, though I've heard it's not nice. :P

A virus should never screw with your battery though, lol.
    Windows, period has a tendency to break on anyone after about five months, it's the OS's average lifespan. Unfortunately the average Joe Schmo user is oblivious to this.
    I know it shouldn't, it's always hardware stuff that goes doolally on me.
    I've always been lucky software-wise other than the odd driver here and there. Though my desktop broke a while back, PSU blew, tried a mate's PSU to check that's what it was, worked fine, bought a PSU, plugged it in, it exploded. :P Got another one and nothing happening now.
    Well Ubuntu is now my primary OS on my laptop. And i use it for MSN, browsing, listening to music, and watching DVDs as well as my college stuff (Openoffice.org is fully compatible with MSOffice 2007 as long as you save out the files in Office 97/2000/XP format.

I'd say get a copy of ubuntu, run it off the CD for a little bit and see how you feel about it. If you have 20GB of hard drive space, dual boot it with Vista and keep Vista hanging around for a bit in case Ubuntu is not for you in the long run.
    Aye, would be very nice to not be able to fry eggs on the back of my laptop. Will more than likely give it a go and post some pretty pictures when I get it up and running. :P
    Now I just have to be arsed to back-up everything on this without an external harddrive.

Home Premium as well.

Disable the Vista Glass theme for a start then!
    I think not opening emails or clicking links other than from people I know might help too. :P Never needed an injection had the dentist, though I've heard it's not nice. :P

Actually it's just a pin prick to the gum, now if it doesn't kick in and you can feel the tooth being extracted. THAT ain't pretty. :D
    I know it shouldn't, it's always hardware stuff that goes doolally on me.
    I've always been lucky software-wise other than the odd driver here and there. Though my desktop broke a while back, PSU blew, tried a mate's PSU to check that's what it was, worked fine, bought a PSU, plugged it in, it exploded. :P Got another one and nothing happening now.

That happened during a LAN party in my place back in 2002, one of the lads went through three PSU's the following morning, and the trip switch kept going off. That's more than likely dodgy wiring in that room that could be causing the power supplies to blow.
    Aye, would be very nice to not be able to fry eggs on the back of my laptop. Will more than likely give it a go and post some pretty pictures when I get it up and running. :P
    Now I just have to be arsed to back-up everything on this without an external harddrive.

A lot of blank DVDs at the ready for you, pal! :)

Disable the Vista Glass theme for a start then!
    My laptop looks like it's running windows 98 ffs. :P
    Actually it's just a pin prick to the gum, now if it doesn't kick in and you can feel the tooth being extracted. THAT ain't pretty. :D
    Have had to get 2 10ml syringes to drain the back of my nose once, that wasn't too nice either. The adrenaline on the cotton wool kicked ass though. :D
    That happened during a LAN party in my place back in 2002, one of the lads went through three PSU's the following morning, and the trip switch kept going off. That's more than likely dodgy wiring in that room that could be causing the power supplies to blow.
    The PSU I have now seems fine, never popped or anything. Originally the computer was fine for years, was either during or just after a power cut the PSU went, so I'm assuming there was some kind of surge. Have tried the PSU in other rooms, just worried there might be more damage past the PSU at this stage.
    A lot of blank DVDs at the ready for you, pal! :)
    Only have about 520 left lying around. ;)

Actually had one of those nice strokes of luck today, was tidying my room to make room for a TV and 360 and PS3 and came across an old keyboard. Was gonna throw it out but then found a little USB extension cable and now I'm sorted with a keyboard for chatting while gaming. :) Also found loads of other crap that wasn't anywhere near as much fun. :P

• Advertisement

The PS3 takes a standard USB keyboard, yeah?

The PS3 takes a standard USB keyboard, yeah?

Ah don't tell me it doesn't. Could've sworn I read somewhere that it does. Only tested it earlier on the XBox. I shall report back in a bit. :P
    Really need to get a Gold sub on the XBox, though Killzone 2 is almost enough online fun on its own.

Ah don't tell me it doesn't. Could've sworn I read somewhere that it does. Only tested it earlier on the XBox. I shall report back in a bit. :P
    Really need to get a Gold sub on the XBox, though Killzone 2 is almost enough online fun on its own.

Far as i know it does, USB is USB at the end of the day. Was wondering if you had confirmed, was all. Have a spare wireless keyboard that would work. I know USB card readers for el cheapo models work. :)

Aye, working grand thankfully. :) The USB extenstion is handy for charging the controller without having to sit up as well. :P

Pity my CD/DVD wallet with all my discs in it is covered in puke. :mad: Gonna kill someone if I'm ever in Tralee again. :P

Also, surprised how awkward the controls for video playback in the PS3 is.

Aye, working grand thankfully. :) The USB extenstion is handy for charging the controller without having to sit up as well. :P

Hrm, might hook up the spare keyboard for the browser function of it. :)
    Also, surprised how awkward the controls for video playback in the PS3 is.

Yep, a lot easier if you have the remote control.

Hrm, might hook up the spare keyboard for the browser function of it. :)
    If you have one of the older PS3s didn't that have like 6 USB ports or something, may as well make use of them. :P

Yep, a lot easier if you have the remote control.
    The XBox was always grand with the controller as far as I was concerned, it seems to be having trouble with whatever way I burned my discs though.
    Ah well, just watching Airplane now. :) Surprised how many DVDs I've built up over the last few years despite never consciously buying any. :P Only about 20, which is **** all to most people I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Guess who's home?

:cool:

C-B-G wrote: »
    Guess who's home?

:cool:

Welcome back m'man.
    Just don't screw it up. :)

Welcome back m'man.
    Just don't screw it up. :)

I Swear i wont Billy Gunn this again. :pac:

• Advertisement

Whats going on, has the recession caused everyone to go out and trade in their laptops/computers?

Forum seems to be dead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement