Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic thread *time to say goodbye*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Breezed through the mock!
    Oh, that assignment i sent ya the other week, KKV? Got it back with a nice big fat A written across it. :)

Fair play SR.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Cheers C-B-G.
    I'm rightly shattered after it though, so i'm gonna get an early one, put all that behind me and take two days off before i start draw up lesson plans for my teaching practice. :)

Breezed through the mock!
    Oh, that assignment i sent ya the other week, KKV? Got it back with a nice big fat A written across it. :)

A? For "Almost there"?

Seriously though, It was well written, and I'm glad you got an A for it. It was very easy to go through with no 'half-explanations' that leave you wondering what the hell you've to do next.

Congrats, man! A deserved grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Has anybody ever kept goldfish? I'm thinking about investing but I've heard all kinds of horror stories about overfeeding/underfeeding them and finding them floating belly up in the tank.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

flahavaj wrote: »
    Has anybody ever kept goldfish? I'm thinking about investing but I've heard all kinds of horror stories about overfeeding/underfeeding them and finding them floating belly up in the tank.:eek:

They're a fair amount of hassle to keep, anytime we had them it was annoying cleaning out the bowl/switching the water because they can die from shock really easily.

I wouldn't get them unless ya actually like them.

• Advertisement

Yes and no, I collect tropical fish.
    The only essential difference is the water temperature, goldfish live in cold water tanks and topical fish live in heated water tanks.

It doesn't take very long to get used to them, there's no real such thing as underfeeding them (unless you f*cking starve the things), just a couple of pinches of food a day should suffice. But you can overfeed fish, as fish just eat everything in sight and don't know any different.

But yeah, start off with about 4-5 fish in your tank and then build from there.
    Good luck :)

amacachi wrote: »
    They're a fair amount of hassle to keep, anytime we had them it was annoying cleaning out the bowl/switching the water because they can die from shock really easily.

You only clean out 10% of the water once a week though, right?

A? For "Almost there"?

I expected that from at least one person! :)
    Seriously though, It was well written, and I'm glad you got an A for it. It was very easy to go through with no 'half-explanations' that leave you wondering what the hell you've to do next.

Congrats, man! A deserved grade.

Cheers, it was a good ending to a very hectic weekend and week! :)

You only clean out 10% of the water once a week though, right?

It was a while back, very, very small tank, were told to clear the water out altogether once a week.

How often would a small-ish tank need changing? And whats the story if say you were away for a week, would you need someone else to feed them for you, or just bung in enough food for the week?

• Advertisement

It was a while back, very, very small tank, were told to clear the water out altogether once a week.

Can't be sure about goldfish, as i said, for tropical it's 10% of the water. But i guess it could be the difference between a tank and a bowl too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

*hic*

How often would a small-ish tank need changing? And whats the story if say you were away for a week, would you need someone else to feed them for you, or just bung in enough food for the week?
    SR can answer better but puttin a week's worth of food in at once would be a pretty bad idea I'm guessing.
    Can't be sure about goldfish, as i said, for tropical it's 10% of the water. But i guess it could be the difference between a tank and a bowl too.
    Aye, I was just going by what the guy in the pet shop said, can't claim to know a massive amount on the topic.

You can get a vacation food pack for fish. It's this blob of food that fish pick at when they feel like it, as opposed to flake food which they can over eat.

All tanks need regular changing, no matter of their size.

orestes wrote: »
    *hic*

Speaking of sea life, here's sea life park's #1 fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Pffft. Goldfish are the least hassle of any pet I've ever had. And I've had dogs, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, and tropical fish. I never had any of them die when changing the bowl, and I've had dozens over the last centry and a half.

wrt leaving for a week, dont put all the food in at once. They'll eat it all at once and die.

*hic*
    Careful, keep the drunk guy away from the fish tank, he'll fall in.:pac:

Speaking of sea life, here's sea life park's #1 fan!

Everything that lives in the sea should be killed. Especially that fecking dolphin in Kerry

Aye, I was just going by what the guy in the pet shop said, can't claim to know a massive amount on the topic.

Same here, tropical fish and goldfish are two different beasts.

Everything that lives in the sea should be killed. Especially that fecking dolphin in Kerry

Don't make me bring out the pleco! :P

• Advertisement

Pffft. Goldfish are the least hassle of any pet I've ever had. And I've had dogs, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pigs, and tropical fish. I never had any of them die when changing the bowl, and I've had dozens over the last centry and a half.

wrt leaving for a week, dont put all the food in at once. They'll eat it all at once and die.

You keep hamsters in a goldfish bowl?:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

Whats your beef with Fungi?

You keep hamsters in a goldfish bowl?:pac:
    Only when I was feeling particularly sadistic.

Tropical fish tend to suffer shock with water changes. They're used to the water being at a certain temp. So if it gets adjusted too much, their eco system can't cope and they end up stressed, which leads to death.

Don't think it's as common with goldfish though.
    Actually, and i don't wanna sound like a smart-arse here flahavaj, but Rec/Animal and Pet Issues is probably a good place to ask that as well, I'm all on for discussion here, but you might have more people in there able to give you better advice. :)

Don't make me bring out the pleco! :P

Don't make me throw a toaster in your fish tank!
    pingu_girl wrote: »
    Whats your beef with Fungi?

He is pure proof that dolphins aren't as smart as people keep on saying they are. If dolphins are smart, why the hell is he hanging out in bloody Dingle?!

Dingle is great. They have pub/hardware shop. You can buy Guinness and a hammer at the same time!

Don't make me throw a toaster in your fish tank!

Be my guest, i'll have a great time sueing you for damages! :P
    He is pure proof that dolphins aren't as smart as people keep on saying they are. If dolphins are smart, why the hell is he hanging out in bloody Dingle?!

The man makes a good point there. Or as Cartman says:
    "If dolphins are so smart, why do they keep getting caught in fishing nets?!"

Dingle is great. They have pub/hardware shop. You can buy Guinness and a hammer at the same time!

And i'll bet the Guinness is "on a shelf for the wrongly-labeled" ;)

Tropical fish tend to suffer shock with water changes. They're used to the water being at a certain temp. So if it gets adjusted too much, their eco system can't cope and they end up stressed, which leads to death.

Don't think it's as common with goldfish though.
    Actually, and i don't wanna sound like a smart-arse here flahavaj, but Rec/Animal and Pet Issues is probably a good place to ask that as well, I'm all on for discussion here, but you might have more people in there able to give you better advice. :)

No hassle, it was only a throwaway question really, I never realised there were so many budding marine biologists on the board!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭pingu_girl

If I were you I'd get a tortoise they'd make a much cooler pet than a gold fish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement